quote:
Originally posted by Pinotlvr:
Last night saw Iron Maiden at BB&T Center in South Florida. Amazing show but WOW did the the venue fall flat on its face. They couldn't seemingly get people in the door as the credit card entry system was malfunctioning. Was total chaos once inside.


So, in other words, there was the usual chaos, just for an additional reason this time?
quote:
Originally posted by vinoevelo:
Leon Bridges @ massey hall. So good.


Awesome. I ate at the restaurant he washed dishes at not too long ago.

He was always singing in the kitchen.
Saw Bruuuuce last night in Oakland. At 66, he and the E Street Band still put on an amazing show (3-1/2 hours without a break). Very few performers have ever been in touch with their fans as he is.
Sold my tickets for Bruce in L.A. this Thursday to a friend who hasn't seen him before. Having seen the tour once in Florida last month I just didn't want to see the first two hours of the show again where he plays The River album straight through. Still one of my all time favorite band, just not this tour.

Looking forward to going to The Who's farewell tour in May. It will be the fourth farewell tour of theirs I've been to over the last twenty years.
quote:
Originally posted by BOMBA503:


It will be the fourth farewell tour of theirs I've been to over the last twenty years.


The "Brett Farve" of bands... Razz
quote:
Originally posted by BOMBA503:
Sold my tickets for Bruce in L.A. this Thursday to a friend who hasn't seen him before. Having seen the tour once in Florida last month I just didn't want to see the first two hours of the show again where he plays The River album straight through. Still one of my all time favorite band, just not this tour.

Looking forward to going to The Who's farewell tour in May. It will be the fourth farewell tour of theirs I've been to over the last twenty years.


I remember being disappointed not to have tickets to their first farewell show at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto in 1981, I think it was. Especially since I lived a block behind the Gardens and heard everyone passing by on their way to the show.

Seen them twice since and would see them again if they came to town.
Yes that tour was the first farewell tour I remember going to. My senior year in high school. Now I have a son well into his high school years and they are still going strong LOL
Stepped out of my zone a bit (wife's choice) to see Chicago with Earth, Wind & Fire. Overall, a very entertaining show. Chicago did a very balanced set from classic oldies up to the sugary poppy 80's ballads...but definitely favored their 70's stuff overall.
quote:
Originally posted by Deryl1:
David Gilmour
Hollywood Bowl
Still has it
Best concert in years
David Crosby guests
So does he

Sweet. My cousin made the 1st show. We'll see him in NYC next month.
quote:
Originally posted by Primordialsoup:
quote:
Originally posted by Deryl1:
David Gilmour
Hollywood Bowl
Still has it
Best concert in years
David Crosby guests
So does he

Sweet. My cousin made the 1st show. We'll see him in NYC next month.

No opener. Two sets with an intermission,3 songs encore. Lots of old PF stuff.
The Smashing Pumpkins at the Ace Hotel in LA last weekend:

With James Iha making a return & Jimmy back on drums, this was an incredible show. Unbiased from the Pumpkins being my favorite band, I'd easily say that this one was of the best live performances I have ever seen.
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
Bonnie Raitt at the Sony Centre tonight. 4th row centre.

She was as wonderful as always, and she was having a great time. But as good as she was, I was blindsided by how good the openers were. Had never heard of them, but holy mother of G, they had me grinning from ear to ear.

The California Honeydrops

Vinoevelo, you have to check them out. You'll love them.

http://youtu.be/-xEOfdqGCmY

http://youtu.be/zxHnSy1YmBs

http://youtu.be/L10kR8b5MIc


The California Honeydrops are great. They'll be back at High Sierra Music Festival in Quincy, CA over the 4th of July. It's a great festival with very talented musicians. I make the road trip from South Dakota every year to meet friends.
quote:
Originally posted by Deryl1:
quote:
Originally posted by Primordialsoup:
quote:
Originally posted by Deryl1:
David Gilmour
Hollywood Bowl
Still has it
Best concert in years
David Crosby guests
So does he

Sweet. My cousin made the 1st show. We'll see him in NYC next month.

No opener. Two sets with an intermission,3 songs encore. Lots of old PF stuff.


I missed the Anaheim show but friends went and said it was awesome and much closer to authentic PF then when Roger Waters tours.
Mudcrutch at observatory in OC

Tom Petty is playing a handful of secret shows around the country in very small venues. Check ticket master. Will sell out very quickly as word gets out.
Iron Maiden last night at the United Center. Mostly great; a few sound issues. Amazing the energy they can still project. I really enjoyed the set list. Ears are still ringing...
quote:
Originally posted by Pinotlvr:
Would have thought they worked out the sound kinks in the earlier shows

More electronic/tech issues than overall sound dialing in. Janick's guitar and Bruce's mic had some cutting in and out. And Bruce strained a few times on faster songs. Overall though, no complaints. Other than the stupidity of funneling all of us GA patrons through one entrance.
Andrew Bird with opening band Boogarins.

I"ve seen Andrew Bird before at the Hollywood Bowl with The Decemberists (accompanied by the LA Philharmonic) and he was once again very good but the Boogarins stole the show last night.

They're a Brazilian psychedelic funk/rock band and were really bloody good.
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
Iron Maiden last night at the United Center. Mostly great; a few sound issues. Amazing the energy they can still project. I really enjoyed the set list. Ears are still ringing...

It was after a concert in the 70s that my ears started ringing. It was a few months later I discovered I had tinnitus. All people, especially the young, should take precautions at loud concerts.
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
Iron Maiden last night at the United Center. Mostly great; a few sound issues. Amazing the energy they can still project. I really enjoyed the set list. Ears are still ringing...

It was after a concert in the 70s that my ears started ringing. It was a few months later I discovered I had tinnitus. All people, especially the young, should take precautions at loud concerts.


This is no joke - good post, TOM.

I probably average less then 2 indoor concerts a year these days. But a few years ago when starting to work out again I brought my iPod with ear buds to the gym, and played it quite loud. I also tend to listen to music in my car pretty loud, when driving alone. I like to actually feel it, and most of my music preferences are towards the heavier side. About a year ago I started noticing a constant ringing in my ears, in the evening at home where it's usually quiet. I'm very certain that this was more due to the earbuds and cranking the car stereo than occasional concerts. I'll blame this for my "hiatus" from working out. Smile I've now kept the volumes in the car much lower.

I really love music, particularly live from the energy you get when a band is performing well and getting into it. I won't avoid going to any shows I want to attend out of fear for my hearing, but I'm definitely more careful about it these days. Other than the ringing, I don't believe I've suffered any "loss" of hearing, although I've not had it checked out by a professional.
I worked quite a few shows in my youth as either a roadie or security and developed serious tinnitus shortly afterwards. Not sure there is a direct connection - my father and grandfather both suffered serious hearing loss in the elder years - but my own hearing has deteriorated to the point that I've worn a hearing aid for 3+ years now. Odds are those working so close to those speakers didn't help.
I was just happy my wife carries extra ear plugs with her as for the Vegas Iron Maiden show, I had to use them. Smaller venue than the Arena in Ft. Lauderdale 4 days prior and it was just too loud to handle without them. I think my ears thank me too. Will probably continue to use when at indoor venues in the future like the 98Rockfest later this month for Disturbed, Shinedown, Chevelle & Ghost
David Gilmour @ MSG. 3rd row. Loved it.
Maybe an historic concert as he is looking his age and may never have a big tour in North America again. Can still play it though. And how.
quote:
Originally posted by Primordialsoup:
David Gilmour @ MSG. 3rd row. Loved it.
Maybe an historic concert as he is looking his age and may never have a big tour in North America again. Can still play it though. And how.


How I wish I was there.....

Saw Steve Miller Band tonight at pechanga courtesy of a client. Great venue, good concert..... Not David Gilmour
Currently holding tickets for George Thorogood, Journey/Doobie Brothers and Roger Hodgson (Supertramp).

Is it too obvious that I'm into dino-rock? bluesbros
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
So for this one, in addition to earplugs necessities are a walker and oxygen tank? Wink


and Depends......

Add Reply

×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×