San Diego is dipping their toes into the festival world. They went after a more affluent audience, and the lineup tilted to the older crowd. I've got to hand it to them, it went pretty well for a first time event. I got to see a bevy of good bands:
No Doubt/The Killers/Zac Brown Band were the headliners.
Others were Sheryl Crow/The Roots/Ben Harper/Grace Potter/Fitz and the Tantrums/Slightly Stoopid/311/Counting Crows/Dawes/Bonnie Raitt

The place also had a comedy club aspect and I got to see Joel McHale/Lewis Black/Chris D'elia.
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
quote:
Originally posted by Pinotlvr:
Have secured tickets to Iron Maiden on 2/24/16 in Ft. Lauderdale and will soon have them for Vegas on 2/28/16.


You are such a groupie! Razz

Got my floor tickets for 4/6 in Chicago.


If only I could transport like Star Trek, I'd be in Chi-town for that one too! Smile
Mark Knopfler @ Massey Hall tonight. Front row. Best sound I've heard at a concert in years. Crystal clear, tight bottom end, and every instrument had its place in the soundstage. Not an easy task when there are 9 musicians on stage.

Now if only Mark would learn to enunciate. Get a little more air in those lungs! It's "So far away from me", not "...o fa away fu...".

Even so, a great show.
Chris Cornell at the Lakewood Civic Auditorium in Cleveland. Seats about 2500. In short, it was terrific. Sound quality was amazing.

Sounds included

Black Hole Sun
Fell on Black Days
Hunger Strike
Wooden Jesus
Seasons
Nothing Compares to you (Prince cover)
Times they are a changin' (Dylan cover)
Redemption Song (Marley cover)
Imagine (Lennon cover)

I left hearing everything I wanted and then some. Highly recommend.
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
Now if only Mark would learn to enunciate. Get a little more air in those lungs! It's "So far away from me", not "...o fa away fu...".

For live performances, Van Morrison is the King of Mumble. Hands down.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Going to the Al Di Meola concert tonight in a small venue. Should be an excellent night.


Di Meola was excellent last night and his fortuitous finding of his violin player is a great story. Evan Garr was brilliant! The Montreal Jazz Festival might have created yet one more star.
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
For live performances, Van Morrison is the King of Mumble.


Worst concert I've ever been to. Opened with Wild Night which was great. That was the last song anybody recognized, and he sang with his back to the audience the entire show. Found out afterward that he is prone to do this. Would've been nice to know in advance - I could've saved some major coin.
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
For live performances, Van Morrison is the King of Mumble.


Worst concert I've ever been to. Opened with Wild Night which was great. That was the last song anybody recognized, and he sang with his back to the audience the entire show. Found out afterward that he is prone to do this. Would've been nice to know in advance - I could've saved some major coin.

And his shows typically start at 7 pm, with no opening act. And he starts EXACTLY at 7. And his shows are less than 90 minutes.

The last time he played in Toronto there was a big notice in all the ads for the show and on the tickets in 36 point extra bold type: SHOW STARTS AT 7 PM PRECISELY WITH NO OPENING ACT. And people were still arriving at 8pm as the concert was nearing its end.
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
Tonight: Joe Jackson at Danforth Music Hall.

Did he do anything from Jumpin' Jive?

No, Dok, but I was hoping he would. It's my favourite album of his.

He did a real range of stuff from his catalogue, half a dozen songs from his new album, and of course all the big hits.

He had Graham Maby on bass who has been playing with him from the beginning.
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
Tonight: Joe Jackson at Danforth Music Hall.

Did he do anything from Jumpin' Jive?

No, Dok, but I was hoping he would. It's my favourite album of his.

He did a real range of stuff from his catalogue, half a dozen songs from his new album, and of course all the big hits.

He had Graham Maby on bass who has been playing with him from the beginning.


One of my faves is "5 Guys named Moe". That album came out when I was an undergrad and it's the album the salesman in the stereo store played when I bought my first "high end" speaker system. I still love my Energy 22"s.
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
Tonight: Joe Jackson at Danforth Music Hall.

Did he do anything from Jumpin' Jive?

No, Dok, but I was hoping he would. It's my favourite album of his.

He did a real range of stuff from his catalogue, half a dozen songs from his new album, and of course all the big hits.

He had Graham Maby on bass who has been playing with him from the beginning.


One of my faves is "5 Guys named Moe". That album came out when I was an undergrad and it's the album the salesman in the stereo store played when I bought my first "high end" speaker system. I still love my Energy 22"s.


Not just my favourite Joe Jackson album but one of my all-time favourite albums, period.
Saw Roger Hodgson, frontman and songwriter for Supertramp a long time ago, at the showroom of a local casino last night, a nice-sized venue for the big sound his group puts out.

He was good, not great. About half the 2.5 hour set were Supertramp hits which got the crowd excited, while the other half were songs from his solo albums, and I think I might have recognized one. Hodgson admitted that some of the songs he had selected were pretty obscure (one was from an album released only in France, though the lyrics were in English; not sure why that one didn't sell well Smile), but he provided some very interesting background for almost every song, usually explaining how he wrote it, or why it had some special significance to him.

The venue (River Rock Casino) has a really good sound system so everything was crystal clear. The band consisted of 3 keyboards (Hodgson alternated between keyboard, piano, and guitar), drums, and a really good sax/clarinet/recorder player who stole the show (he is one of many great musicians who grew up and was trained in London, Ontario).

All in all, a nostalgic evening of music that I used to like.
Last night, took wife to see Clint Black at a small venue in Clearwater, FL. Ok, he can only sell small venues these days, but was very nice - great acoustics, fit in some holiday songs along with the classics and a few new ones.

Weird part was all the people walking around downtown Clearwater in the same clothes (almost uniform-like). Guess the scientologists were out in full force.
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
Saw Roger Hodgson, frontman and songwriter for Supertramp a long time ago, at the showroom of a local casino last night, a nice-sized venue for the big sound his group puts out.

He was good, not great. About half the 2.5 hour set were Supertramp hits which got the crowd excited, while the other half were songs from his solo albums, and I think I might have recognized one. Hodgson admitted that some of the songs he had selected were pretty obscure (one was from an album released only in France, though the lyrics were in English; not sure why that one didn't sell well Smile), but he provided some very interesting background for almost every song, usually explaining how he wrote it, or why it had some special significance to him.

The venue (River Rock Casino) has a really good sound system so everything was crystal clear. The band consisted of 3 keyboards (Hodgson alternated between keyboard, piano, and guitar), drums, and a really good sax/clarinet/recorder player who stole the show (he is one of many great musicians who grew up and was trained in London, Ontario).

All in all, a nostalgic evening of music that I used to like.

He is playing Ottawa next week at the National Arts Centre. Looking forward to it.
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
Tonight: Joe Jackson at Danforth Music Hall.

Did he do anything from Jumpin' Jive?

No, Dok, but I was hoping he would. It's my favourite album of his.

He did a real range of stuff from his catalogue, half a dozen songs from his new album, and of course all the big hits.

He had Graham Maby on bass who has been playing with him from the beginning.


One of my faves is "5 Guys named Moe". That album came out when I was an undergrad and it's the album the salesman in the stereo store played when I bought my first "high end" speaker system. I still love my Energy 22"s.


Not just my favourite Joe Jackson album but one of my all-time favourite albums, period.


I am and always be partial to Look Sharp. One More Time is one heck of an opening track
quote:
Originally posted by Bytown Rick:
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
Saw Roger Hodgson, frontman and songwriter for Supertramp a long time ago, at the showroom of a local casino last night, a nice-sized venue for the big sound his group puts out.

He was good, not great. About half the 2.5 hour set were Supertramp hits which got the crowd excited, while the other half were songs from his solo albums, and I think I might have recognized one. Hodgson admitted that some of the songs he had selected were pretty obscure (one was from an album released only in France, though the lyrics were in English; not sure why that one didn't sell well Smile), but he provided some very interesting background for almost every song, usually explaining how he wrote it, or why it had some special significance to him.

The venue (River Rock Casino) has a really good sound system so everything was crystal clear. The band consisted of 3 keyboards (Hodgson alternated between keyboard, piano, and guitar), drums, and a really good sax/clarinet/recorder player who stole the show (he is one of many great musicians who grew up and was trained in London, Ontario).

All in all, a nostalgic evening of music that I used to like.

He is playing Ottawa next week at the National Arts Centre. Looking forward to it.

My experience was similar to Seaquam's. But I will reveal my bias by saying that it was better than good. The National Arts Centre is a great location for this type of performance. And the tribute to John Lennon (Across the Universe) was stunning.

At times the instrumentals were a bit loud relative to the vocals. But that was the only negative part of the show. The house rocked -- oldies totally enjoying the oldies.
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
Mark Knopfler @ Massey Hall tonight. Front row. Best sound I've heard at a concert in years. Crystal clear, tight bottom end, and every instrument had its place in the soundstage. Not an easy task when there are 9 musicians on stage.

Now if only Mark would learn to enunciate. Get a little more air in those lungs! It's "So far away from me", not "...o fa away fu...".

Even so, a great show.

Another one I missed this year. Would have loved to soak in that sound @ The Beacon venue.
It's funny you mention his enunciation with those specific lyrics. I always sang them like that (in a mocking kind of way)in the car et al. because that's how they sound when he sings them.
Man, I'm gonna be busy in 2016

1/22 - Billy Joel @ Amalie Arena in Tampa
1/30 - Def Leppard, Styx & Tesla @ Amway Center in Orlando
2/24 - Iron Maiden @ BB&T Center in Sunrise, FL
2/28 - Iron Maiden @ Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas
3/6 - Shenandoah @ Florida Strawberry Festival in Plant City, FL (throwback act)
quote:
Originally posted by Pinotlvr:
Man, I'm gonna be busy in 2016

1/22 - Billy Joel @ Amalie Arena in Tampa
1/30 - Def Leppard, Styx & Tesla @ Amway Center in Orlando
2/24 - Iron Maiden @ BB&T Center in Sunrise, FL
2/28 - Iron Maiden @ Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas
3/6 - Shenandoah @ Florida Strawberry Festival in Plant City, FL (throwback act)


At least it will be a good February. Wink
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
quote:
Originally posted by Pinotlvr:
Man, I'm gonna be busy in 2016

1/22 - Billy Joel @ Amalie Arena in Tampa
1/30 - Def Leppard, Styx & Tesla @ Amway Center in Orlando
2/24 - Iron Maiden @ BB&T Center in Sunrise, FL
2/28 - Iron Maiden @ Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas
3/6 - Shenandoah @ Florida Strawberry Festival in Plant City, FL (throwback act)


At least it will be a good February. Wink


OH, I forgot one for April 29th - 98Rockfest - Disturbed, Shinedown, Chevelle & Ghost - primarily going to see Ghost even though it will be a short festival set

1/22 and 3/6 are to make wife happy...and 1/30 is freebie in a suite, so not saying no Smile
quote:
Originally posted by Bytown Rick:
quote:
Originally posted by Bytown Rick:
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
Saw Roger Hodgson, frontman and songwriter for Supertramp a long time ago, at the showroom of a local casino last night, a nice-sized venue for the big sound his group puts out.

He was good, not great. About half the 2.5 hour set were Supertramp hits which got the crowd excited, while the other half were songs from his solo albums, and I think I might have recognized one. Hodgson admitted that some of the songs he had selected were pretty obscure (one was from an album released only in France, though the lyrics were in English; not sure why that one didn't sell well Smile), but he provided some very interesting background for almost every song, usually explaining how he wrote it, or why it had some special significance to him.

The venue (River Rock Casino) has a really good sound system so everything was crystal clear. The band consisted of 3 keyboards (Hodgson alternated between keyboard, piano, and guitar), drums, and a really good sax/clarinet/recorder player who stole the show (he is one of many great musicians who grew up and was trained in London, Ontario).

All in all, a nostalgic evening of music that I used to like.

He is playing Ottawa next week at the National Arts Centre. Looking forward to it.

My experience was similar to Seaquam's. But I will reveal my bias by saying that it was better than good. The National Arts Centre is a great location for this type of performance. And the tribute to John Lennon (Across the Universe) was stunning.

At times the instrumentals were a bit loud relative to the vocals. But that was the only negative part of the show. The house rocked -- oldies totally enjoying the oldies.


While didnt see him this year I saw him 4 times last year. He wasnt merely the frontman and songwriter, he was the heart AND SOUL of Supertramp. I kept going back because I found the shows to be great. Familiar songs I loved from high school performed wonderfully by extremely talented musicians. Putting the music aside, I love the way Roger engages with the crowd. I found the shows more intimate than just about anything Ive been to in decades. He takes the time to talk to the audience about each song, how he wrote it, where he wrote it and what it meant to him. Ive been to hundreds of concerts and this is far from the norm. Perhaps best of all is the sheer joy on his face and he exudes that joy to the crowd. Id go see him live anyday...no make that everyday of the week.
quote:
Originally posted by Bytown Rick:
quote:
Originally posted by Bytown Rick:
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
Saw Roger Hodgson, frontman and songwriter for Supertramp a long time ago, at the showroom of a local casino last night, a nice-sized venue for the big sound his group puts out.

He was good, not great. About half the 2.5 hour set were Supertramp hits which got the crowd excited, while the other half were songs from his solo albums, and I think I might have recognized one. Hodgson admitted that some of the songs he had selected were pretty obscure (one was from an album released only in France, though the lyrics were in English; not sure why that one didn't sell well Smile), but he provided some very interesting background for almost every song, usually explaining how he wrote it, or why it had some special significance to him.

The venue (River Rock Casino) has a really good sound system so everything was crystal clear. The band consisted of 3 keyboards (Hodgson alternated between keyboard, piano, and guitar), drums, and a really good sax/clarinet/recorder player who stole the show (he is one of many great musicians who grew up and was trained in London, Ontario).

All in all, a nostalgic evening of music that I used to like.

He is playing Ottawa next week at the National Arts Centre. Looking forward to it.

My experience was similar to Seaquam's. But I will reveal my bias by saying that it was better than good. The National Arts Centre is a great location for this type of performance. And the tribute to John Lennon (Across the Universe) was stunning.

At times the instrumentals were a bit loud relative to the vocals. But that was the only negative part of the show. The house rocked -- oldies totally enjoying the oldies.


Glad to hear you enjoyed it! I've been playing Supertramp in my car ever since we saw Hodgson.
At one of the smaller clubs in Houston I caught prog-metal band Kamelot who were supported by Dragonforce.

I found Dragonforce to be basically be a one-trick pony (they all play super fast) and after a short time that trick got old.

Kamelot on the other gave a fabulous performance. The playing was tight and the members of the band seemed to be in fine spirits (2nd to last show of the current tour so maybe they were a little giddy).

My only complaint was the sound (very drum heavy) but that might be more the acoustics of the venue rather than any kind of control by the sound board.
With last evening open, I discovered that an act called Kofi Baker's Cream Experience was playing at a brewpub/restaurant that is about 15 minutes from home, with no cover charge. I was never a fan of Cream's music, but we had no other plans and called another couple who joined us. Kofi is the son of Ginger Baker, and sits behind the kit with two very talented musicians. As you can imagine, they played mostly Cream music but the second set had a couple of Hendrix tunes as well as one by the Beatles and Clapton's Wonderful Tonight. What a fantastic set of well played music, and a great last-minute activity. We managed to snare a 4-seat pub table very close to the stage, despite the room being pretty full.

Add Reply

Likes (0)
×
×
×
×