Skip to main content

will have to try bee's knees.

Question on cocktail glass size. For cocktails that do not include ice in the drinking glass, what is the best size for the glass? I have seen glasses with 8 or more ounces of capacity and some with around 6 ounces. I wonder if 8 ounces might be too big for some cocktails.

There is a cool Schott Zwiesle coupe glass that is angular but it is 8.8 ounce capacity.
quote:
Originally posted by ThistlinTom:

Question on cocktail glass size. For cocktails that do not include ice in the drinking glass, what is the best size for the glass? I have seen glasses with 8 or more ounces of capacity and some with around 6 ounces. I wonder if 8 ounces might be too big for some cocktails.

There is a cool Schott Zwiesle coupe glass that is angular but it is 8.8 ounce capacity.

like a perky lady's tit?

i like highballers in general.

you're not sniffing a cocktail, for me, it's all about being about to transport from A to B and keeping teh drinking at the right temp
quote:

I think that's perfectly fine. Most readily available cocktail glasses are "double" sized nowadays.
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
i'm a huge fan of teh bee's knees
but i dont like the "typical" mix because fresh lemon juice is a bit too overpowering
i do 2.5 gin
1 honey syrup
.5 lemon juice

take lemon peel and rub around rim of glass and light it with a match.

No kidding...will have to try it that way next time.
bartender and i just sat around and made up a drink

1 part genepy
1 part gin
1 part soda water
1/2 part heavy creme
1/2 part simple syrup
1 egg white

stir genepy, gin, simple syrup, heavy creme in mixer
add egg white
shake well
1/2 part soda water on bottom, pour mixture over
fill to top with soda water,
garnish with dashes of cocoa powder

if you love the brooklyn egg cream, this is absolutely fantastic.
quote:
While I didn't make any cocktails this past week while in Hawaii, I did have two liliko mojitos at the Beach House in Kauai. Don't remember exactly what was in them but they were very tasty.

Also had mai tais and other island drinks while there.

If you want to recreate it, it's probably just a mojito with half a passionfruit muddled into the cocktail. Or if fruit unavailable, add 1.5 - 2oz passionfruit nectar.
quote:
Originally posted by PD2K:
quote:
While I didn't make any cocktails this past week while in Hawaii, I did have two liliko mojitos at the Beach House in Kauai. Don't remember exactly what was in them but they were very tasty.

Also had mai tais and other island drinks while there.

If you want to recreate it, it's probably just a mojito with half a passionfruit muddled into the cocktail. Or if fruit unavailable, add 1.5 - 2oz passionfruit nectar.

also found some made with pineapple muddle and a big pineapple slice on the side.
Making Pumpkin Pie Cocktails for Turkey Day at my cousin's house. Not my thing and kinda girly, but all the suburban housewives love it Wink :

2 oz Svedka Vanilla Vodka
1 oz Hiram Walker Pumpkin Spice liqueur
0.25 oz Dekuyper Buttershots Schnapps
0.25 oz Kahula
Splash of light cream

Shake with ice and serve in a cocktail glass. Garnish with ground nutmeg.

Since this drink is basically liquid candy, you can substitute the booze brands so long as it's decent quality.

- EDIT -

Also play with the proportions to suite your crowd.
Last edited by pd2k
quote:
Painkillers - 2 oz rum, 4 oz pineapple juice, 1 oz orange juice, 1 oz cream of coconut. Boat drink, similar to Pina colada. I would probably add a bit more rum to it, maybe a spice rum for more complexity.

The original recipe has a bit more rum. Also important to use Pusser's, it's dark and has a unique flavour:
3 oz Pusser's rum
1 oz coconut cream (separated from coconut milk)
4 oz pineapple juice
1 oz orange juice

Shake and top with a little fresh grated nutmeg.

Dangerous but amazing!
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
quote:
Painkillers - 2 oz rum, 4 oz pineapple juice, 1 oz orange juice, 1 oz cream of coconut. Boat drink, similar to Pina colada. I would probably add a bit more rum to it, maybe a spice rum for more complexity.

The original recipe has a bit more rum. Also important to use Pusser's, it's dark and has a unique flavour:
3 oz Pusser's rum
4 oz pineapple juice
1 oz orange juice

Dangerous but amazing!

Is there much difference between say Meyer's dark rum and Pusser's?
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
quote:

3 oz Pusser's rum
4 oz pineapple juice
1 oz orange juice

Dangerous but amazing!

Great drink. Agreed...you must use Pusser's. Otherwise it's a different flavor profile. It's kinda like making a Dark n Stormy w/o Goslings Black Seal. But you probably can substitute another good naval strength rum (ie Smith & Cross).

The drink is a standard proportion, except you simply up "the pain" (2, 3, or 4 parts Pusser's). I personally prefer the #4, IMHO it balances out the sweetness.
quote:
Is there much difference between say Meyer's dark rum and Pusser's?

Different flavor profiles. Pusser's is a navy-style amber rum, while Meyers' is a blended dark rum.

However Pusser's has recently revamped their lineup, so their naval strength is now called "Gunpowder Proof." That may be the pain is not what it used to be and why I prefer #4 Wink

http://pussersrum.com/news/pus...mps-labeling-system/
Made a couple of Daquiri's last night. Both of them made with 2 oz Mt Gay rum and 1 oz of fresh lime juice. Used 1/2 oz simple syrup on first(as recipe calls for) and 1 oz simple syrup on second.

Maybe my limes are strong or my simple syrup is weak, but I went to 1 oz of the syrup as the 1/2 oz didn't balance out the tartness of the lime. Second was more balanced than the first. I liked the daquiri's but I might consider increasing the rum content a bit more.
quote:
Made a couple of Daquiri's last night. Both of them made with 2 oz Mt Gay rum and 1 oz of fresh lime juice. Used 1/2 oz simple syrup on first(as recipe calls for) and 1 oz simple syrup on second.

Maybe my limes are strong or my simple syrup is weak, but I went to 1 oz of the syrup as the 1/2 oz didn't balance out the tartness of the lime. Second was more balanced than the first. I liked the daquiri's but I might consider increasing the rum content a bit more.

My general proportion for sour cocktails (Daiquiri, White Lady, Sidecar, Margarita, etc):

2 part booze
1 part sweetener
1 part acid
Had the family over for brunch on Christmas Eve and was pinched for time so I had to find an alternative to my usual homemade Bloody Mary mix. Grabbed a couple bottles from a local producer - Bloody Revolution - and really enjoyed the "Ribeye" version. Posting this just in case you ever need a fast alternative to homemade that tastes like it was...
quote:
anyobdy have any wine cocktails?

Besides Sangria...

Tinto de Verano(this my go to to get rid of the cheap stuff)
Equal parts red wine and sprite in a long glass

Red wine "Caipirnha"
1 oz simple syrup (or to taste)
1/2 lime cut into 4 wedges
3 oz red wine

Muddle limes and syrup. Add wine and ice. Stir.

NY Sour
2 parts Bourbon
1 part lemon juice
1 part simple syrup (or to taste)
Red wine (to float)

Shake first 3 ingredients. Strain into ice-filled rocks glass. Float red wine.

Sangree
2 oz red wine
1 oz Bourbon
1 oz simple syrup (or to taste)

Shake and strain into a iced filled rocks glass.
quote:
i just tried the ny sour
but i swaped the lemon juice and simple syrup for curacao

not bad, but you dont really taste that much of the wine

Hmm your version is a very different flavor profile...removing the lemon juice kinda takes the "sour" out of the NY Sour Wink

Off the top of my head, I'd keep the lemon juice on your version for some acid. That way it makes a Bourbon Sidecar with a red wine float. Otherwise it's just booze and sweetner...ie Grog.

Btw try the Tinto de Verano...it's actually quite good. Plus super simple to make.
quote:
Originally posted by PD2K:
quote:
i just tried the ny sour
but i swaped the lemon juice and simple syrup for curacao

not bad, but you dont really taste that much of the wine

Hmm your version is a very different flavor profile...removing the lemon juice kinda takes the "sour" out of the NY Sour Wink

Off the top of my head, I'd keep the lemon juice on your version for some acid. That way it makes a Bourbon Sidecar with a red wine float. Otherwise it's just booze and sweetner...ie Grog.

Btw try the Tinto de Verano...it's actually quite good. Plus super simple to make.

fair point

i acutlaly did have to drop in 1/2 lemon in it to get the acidity in.
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
First pitcher of margaritas are marinating in the freezer. I have found that at least 24 hours of rest makes a pitcher of margaritas much better. Kind of like stew. But more fun.

PH
What's your recipe PH? I don't think my simple recipe would do well overnight in the fridge.

I'd also like to know. I've never attempted make a Margarita.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
quote:
First pitcher of margaritas are marinating in the freezer. I have found that at least 24 hours of rest makes a pitcher of margaritas much better. Kind of like stew. But more fun.

PH
What's your recipe PH? I don't think my simple recipe would do well overnight in the fridge.

Not complicated:

Ice, Tequila, Cointreau, Lime Juice - Mix. Add salt. Done.

Some people use simple syrup as well.
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
quote:
quote:
quote:

PH

Not complicated:

That's my recipe and a.ways a crowd pleaser.
quote:

Traditional Margarita:

2 oz Tequila (Plata or Reposado) - I use Olmeca Altos
1 oz lime juice
1 oz Cointreau

Shake and strain into a Margarita glass.

From this recipe you can make different varieties...such as muddling a slice of jalapeno or adding passionfruit juice, etc.
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
quote:
quote:
quote:

PH

Not complicated:

That's my basic recipe as well. If I'm doing brunch margs I float a little OJ as well. For a twist I muddle cucumber, lime and cilantro and shake with tequila and a little agave.

I was curious about the marinating part of PH's margarita recipe. In my experience fresh lime juice losses something in the fridge overnight so I was wondering if he was doing something different.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.