Whiskey Sour is my current fave. I make it with roughly:
1/3 lemon juice
1/3 simple syrup
1/3 Maker's Mark
Shaken, poured over ice in a lowball glass, and add 1 or 2 maraschino cherries.

With only 3 ingredients, you'd think it'd be almost foolproof, but it's amazing how many bad ones I've had in cocktail lounges. Roll Eyes
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
Tom Collins made with Old Tom gin and a few dashes of orange bitters. Even better if you substitute 50% of the soda with pink grapefruit perrier.

I use lime Topo Chico in mine - will have to try the pink grapefruit Perrier.
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
haha screw the other thread!!

Negroni

1 part campari
1 part gin
1 part white port
some orange peel oil around the rim

I'm less than 50% successful ordering one of these at bars/restaurants lately - what's with no one stocking Campari????

Favourite pre-dinner cocktail!
quote:
Originally posted by Riddler:
quote:
haha screw the other thread!!

Negroni

1 part campari
1 part gin
1 part white port
some orange peel oil around the rim

I'm less than 50% successful ordering one of these at bars/restaurants lately - what's with no one stocking Campari????

Favourite pre-dinner cocktail!

Well it's not that hard to get. Personally, I can't stand Negronis. Cannot get past that bitter/astringent taste.
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Bevo:
quote:
Tom Collins made with Old Tom gin and a few dashes of orange bitters. Even better if you substitute 50% of the soda with pink grapefruit perrier.

We don't get Topo Chico up here (even in our few mexican stores) but it would certainly be good.

The Old Tom gin really makes a better Tom Collins IMHO. You don't need any simple syrup as it's already sweet. I've used rhubarb bitters in it as well to great effect.

Last night did a riff on a French 75
1 oz Old Tom gin
1 oz Plymouth gin
1 oz lemon juice
approx 1 tsp. citrus infused simple syrup
drop or two of orange water
topped with a some Cremant

They'll knock you on your ass, but it was good. Did the simple syrup with some grapefuit and lime rind.
quote:
quote:
quote:

We don't get Topo Chico up here (even in our few mexican stores) but it would certainly be good.

The Old Tom gin really makes a better Tom Collins IMHO. You don't need any simple syrup as it's already sweet. I've used rhubarb bitters in it as well to great effect.

1 oz Old Tom gin
1 oz Plymouth gin
1 oz lemon juice

They'll knock you on your ass, but it was good. Did the simple syrup with some grapefuit and lime rind.

Big fan of the French 75. George restaurant used to have a stellar version, not sure if they still make it the same. They used a rose gin from Dillon's that was fantastic.

As an aside, my wife and I spent an evening at a bar in Bahama's trying to help the bartenders nail the French 75. By the end of the evening, everyone in the bar was drinking god-awful gin drinks that resembled nothing of the original. It was a fun night, but I'm sure most folks were feeling not quite right the next morning.

Thanks for the recipe Rob, just might have to make them tonight for guests.
quote:
Originally posted by JDWest:
quote:
quote:
quote:

1 oz Old Tom gin
1 oz Plymouth gin
1 oz lemon juice

Big fan of the French 75. George restaurant used to have a stellar version, not sure if they still make it the same. They used a rose gin from Dillon's that was fantastic.

As an aside, my wife and I spent an evening at a bar in Bahama's trying to help the bartenders nail the French 75. By the end of the evening, everyone in the bar was drinking god-awful gin drinks that resembled nothing of the original. It was a fun night, but I'm sure most folks were feeling not quite right the next morning.

Thanks for the recipe Rob, just might have to make them tonight for guests.

I really enjoy a St. Germain French 75
quote:
Originally posted by AmsterdamNL:
Y'all have so much time on your hands. Moscow mule. Vodka, ginger beer, lime, copper mug. Copper mug is a must amd a main ingredient.
I was on a Moscow mule kick 4-5 years ago but I haven't had one in a long time. Will have to try one again soon.

Last night after dinner a nice old fashioned with Michter's Small Batch Bourbon.
quote:
Y'all have so much time on your hands. Moscow mule. Vodka, ginger beer, lime, copper mug. Copper mug is a must amd a main ingredient.

Replace the vodka with Gosling's Black Seal rum...can drink Dark n Stormy all day Cool
quote:
Originally posted by PD2K:
quote:

Replace the vodka with Gosling's Black Seal rum...can drink Dark n Stormy all day Cool

i have a 12 pack of goslin's ginger beer sitting in the fridge for such purposes =)
quote:
have martinis flew the moon?

surprised no one making chilled martinis during the hot days in summer
Martinis are still a staple in our house. Last night before dinner we did brooklyn gin, dolin vermouth blanc and orange bitters.
quote:
have martinis flew the moon?

surprised no one making chilled martinis during the hot days in summer

Sadly, I came to realize a few years ago that my martini days are over. My stomach just can't handle them anymore. Strangely, brown liquors like bourbon, rye, and aged whiskey seem to settle my stomach. I have no idea why this would be. Confused
What do you guys feel about 80 proof rye/bourbon in drinks.

i've been goign to a few cocktails bars and the ones that pick the house rye/bourbon typically are at 80 proof.

but when drunk they all taste a bit watery /flat.

just me drinking too much?
quote:
What do you guys feel about 80 proof rye/bourbon in drinks.

i've been goign to a few cocktails bars and the ones that pick the house rye/bourbon typically are at 80 proof.

but when drunk they all taste a bit watery /flat.

just me drinking too much?

I'm not too familiar with any 80 proof rye. I would skip the 80 and go for +90 proof. Hell all Non-Distiller Producer rye sourced from MGP (Bulleit, Dickel, Templeton, etc.) are pretty decent mixers and 90 proof. My go-to mixing rye is Rittenhouse 100. Sazerac and Wild Turkey 101 round up the top three.

As for Bourbon, Four Roses Yellow is probably the only 80 proof Bourbon I would use as a mixer (in a pinch). Most of the Bourbons I drink are +90 proof.

But you are correct...IMHO 80 proof is way too weak.
I don't know the official name of this drink but it has been my 'go to' summer cocktail. Very refreshing and a great starter to any summer time bbq.

St. Germain and Prosecco: Glass filled with ice; 1 1/2 ozs. St. Germain elderflower liqueur; 1 1/2 ozs. Prosecco; 2 ozs. club soda. A few fresh berries (blue-, straw-, rasp-, black-).
quote:
Originally posted by Mezzo Litro:
I don't know the official name of this drink but it has been my 'go to' summer cocktail. Very refreshing and a great starter to any summer time bbq.

St. Germain and Prosecco: Glass filled with ice; 1 1/2 ozs. St. Germain elderflower liqueur; 1 1/2 ozs. Prosecco; 2 ozs. club soda. A few fresh berries (blue-, straw-, rasp-, black-).

i believe they call it tart fuel in london
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
Hot and humid here. Tanqueray Gin & Tonics quenching the thirst!

Well done VinC. Posted at 12:15pm and plural. Sounds like a happy Labour Day weekend at the cottage!

Excellent J.D. Hope and trust you're enjoying the same!
quote:
quote:
quote:
Hot and humid here. Tanqueray Gin & Tonics quenching the thirst!

Well done VinC. Posted at 12:15pm and plural. Sounds like a happy Labour Day weekend at the cottage!

Excellent J.D. Hope and trust you're enjoying the same!

Yep. Hot and humid and in the lake all day!
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
quote:
Last night plenty of 30 day barred aged Negronis and Manhattans...yum Smile
Where did you get the barrel? I have been wanting to try this.

I bought them off Amazon CLICKY . I got the 3 liter size. I'm aging my next batch for 45 days. I highly recommend aging the following cocktails:

Manhattan
El Presidente
Boulevardier
Negroni
Manhattan - used Knob Creek Rye whiskey. First time to have a Manhattan, definitely a serious drink. The whiskey is very forward on the taste, but the sweet vermouth smooths out the drink somewhat. Used a generic maraschino cherry as a garnish, not sure it impacted the flavor of the drink that much. Would a higher dollar cherry have made an impact or would adding a bit of the syrup have an impact?

I made the drink by chilling the glass and mixing and stirring the ingredients in a stainless steel cup. I was a little slow on drinking it so I added an ice cube to it after a few minutes to keep it cold.

I enjoyed the drink and would have it again, probably if I am interested in an alcohol forward drink. To me this is a pre-dinner drink or maybe during a party.

I am planning on trying a different cocktail at least once a week. I will post my thoughts on each drink. Next up is probably a whiskey sour.
quote:
Originally posted by WinoCA:
Experiment with the bourbon:vermouth ratio. My go-to is about 4:1 for Manhattans and I add bitters. There's also a ton of different types of flavored bitters outside of Angostura.

+1. Also, I will sometimes add a touch of Reese Maraschino Syrup to sweeten it up a bit.
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
quote:
Originally posted by WinoCA:
There's also a ton of different types of flavored bitters outside of Angostura.

My go to bitters of late are Fee Brothers Whiskey Barrel-Aged Bitters.

I normally only have these three in the house:

Angostura Bitters
Angostura Orange Bitters
Peychaud Bitters
Employees Only Manhattan - quite a bit different than standard Manhattan. 1.5 oz rye whiskey, 1.75 oz sweet vermouth, 0.5 oz of Grand Marnier.

Definitely smoother than standard Manhattan with the whiskey taste moving more to the background. If you are wanting a more forward whiskey cocktail, stick with the standard, if you want a more subdued, less whiskey forward cocktail, try the Employees Only Manhattan, as it is pretty good too.
quote:
Originally posted by ThistlinTom:
Employees Only Manhattan - quite a bit different than standard Manhattan. 1.5 oz rye whiskey, 1.75 oz sweet vermouth, 0.5 oz of Grand Marnier.

Definitely smoother than standard Manhattan with the whiskey taste moving more to the background. If you are wanting a more forward whiskey cocktail, stick with the standard, if you want a more subdued, less whiskey forward cocktail, try the Employees Only Manhattan, as it is pretty good too.

Great drink. I'm currently barrel aging it for 45 days.

Since you've been on a Manhattan kick, I highly recommend trying the Red Hook:

2 oz Rittenhouse rye
0.5 oz Punt e Mes sweet vermouth
0.5 oz Luxardo maraschino liqueur
quote:
sounds real sweet tho

Not really...it's much smoother than traditional Manhattan. Actually the EO Manhattan is an older recipe than the traditional 2-1 Manhattan. The key for this drink is to use 100 proof Rye. Also it takes 3 dashes of bitters rather than the normal 2.
quote:
quote:
sounds real sweet tho

Not really...it's much smoother than traditional Manhattan. Actually the EO Manhattan is an older recipe than the traditional 2-1 Manhattan. The key for this drink is to use 100 proof Rye. Also it takes 3 dashes of bitters rather than the normal 2.

Agreed, didn't think of the drink being sweet, just smoother and less whiskey forward.
quote:
quote:

2 oz Rittenhouse rye

I have Luxardo maraschino cherries but not the liqueur. What if I used the syrup from the cherries?
quote:
quote:
quote:

2 oz Rittenhouse rye

I have Luxardo maraschino cherries but not the liqueur. What if I used the syrup from the cherries?

cut it with vodka
quote:
quote:
quote:

2 oz Rittenhouse rye

No do not use!!! That is syrup. Must be maraschino liqueur otherwise you will change the flavor profile.
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

2 oz Rittenhouse rye

No do not use!!! That is syrup. Must be maraschino liqueur otherwise you will change the flavor profile.

I prefer amarena cherries. Darker and more bitter.
quote:

I prefer amarena cherries. Darker and more bitter.

Either work for me for cocktails, but I do lean toward the maraska cherry (Luxardo). So long if it's not artificial maraschino cherries - the neon red ones topping ice cream sundaes Smile
quote:
quote:
for you manhattan lovers.

if you can score some cardomon bitters.

two drops adds a wonderful complexity to the cocktail

Cardamon bitters does sound good...may have to pick up a bottle Smile

http://www.cocktailkingdom.com/

these are my goto guys in nyc

awesome selection and very fair prices.

disclaimer: I dont have any relations with them except that i'm a customer and use their bitters when i show off my products.
Whiskey Sour - used High West Bourbon (2 oz), fresh lemon juice (3/4 oz) and simple syrup (3/4) oz. Shook the crap out of it, came out icy cold. Pretty refreshing drink, obviously lemon taste with a decent taste of the bourbon. Definitely will make again, especially since we have a lemon tree in the back yard.
quote:
Whiskey Sour - used High West Bourbon (2 oz), fresh lemon juice (3/4 oz) and simple syrup (3/4) oz. Shook the crap out of it, came out icy cold. Pretty refreshing drink, obviously lemon taste with a decent taste of the bourbon. Definitely will make again, especially since we have a lemon tree in the back yard.

Nice! Have you ever tried it the traditional way shaken with an egg white? IMHO it gives a nice richness to the cocktail.
quote:
quote:

Nice! Have you ever tried it the traditional way shaken with an egg white? IMHO it gives a nice richness to the cocktail.

Not yet, but I plan on doing it. My brother's wife had one made with the egg white and she said it was the best Whiskey Sour that she has had.
quote:
quote:
quote:
for you manhattan lovers.

if you can score some cardomon bitters.

two drops adds a wonderful complexity to the cocktail

Cardamon bitters does sound good...may have to pick up a bottle Smile

http://www.cocktailkingdom.com/

these are my goto guys in nyc

awesome selection and very fair prices.

disclaimer: I dont have any relations with them except that i'm a customer and use their bitters when i show off my products.

Thanks dude just checked it out...very nice stuff!
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not yet, but I plan on doing it. My brother's wife had one made with the egg white and she said it was the best Whiskey Sour that she has had.

just tried it the other day

awesome, if you really shake the sht out of it, you get this "fluffy boozy cloud" of tangy whiskey

Add Reply

Likes (0)