Lease will be up in a little less than a year so I started some primary research for the next car last weekend and test drove the new Lexus GS and the Audi A6 3.0. The Lexus had nice punch when you hit it, but I didn’t love the overall feel and look of the car. Really liked the A6, but their residuals are so poor compared to MB, BMW and Lexus that it’s tough to justify the premium. The styling of Audi right now is second to none IMO though. Sweet looking cars.

Anyone else in the market these days?
Original Post
I love the Audis these days. I don't think they are going to depreciate as much as you do. The BMWs still drive the best, though they cost a fortune to maintain if you are going to keep it for a while. I just don't get MB or Lexus -- they aren't fun.
When you compare lease payments for Audi, MB and BMW, Audi is always the highest due to the residual value. It’s getting better, but they don’t have the track record of holding their value like MB and BMW. I’m much more of a MB guy vs. BMW and my 2012 C350 is very fun. Wink

Just like the look and feel of MB over BMW, but agree BMW’s are certainly fun to drive. Lexus I agree is not very sexy/fun.
You leasing again, or buying? I like the Audi for a lease, Lexus for a purchase (Audi maintenance is nasty, I literally just had to talk my way out of a $3k fix today by getting them to concede something was covered by extended warranty).
And/or a big 2nd on the CTS-V, damn sexy!
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
When you compare lease payments for Audi, MB and BMW, Audi is always the highest due to the residual value. It’s getting better, but they don’t have the track record of holding their value like MB and BMW. I’m much more of a MB guy vs. BMW and my 2012 C350 is very fun. Wink

Just like the look and feel of MB over BMW, but agree BMW’s are certainly fun to drive. Lexus I agree is not very sexy/fun.

Wait. You have a '12 and your lease is up in less than a year? What, an 18 month lease? 24 months and you got it as it was rolling out? If you are going for a very short term lease I guess the MB might be a better deal. I don't know; I, and virtually all the people I know, buy cars to drive for a while, so those are the parameters I'm used to dealing with. I don't know much about short term lease deals.

While I've driven recent models of all the cars you're looking at, if you are a MB guy, maybe that is what you are... I agree the Audi styling, inside and out, is second to none on the (realistic) market. I also happen to love the Audi engines, though the automatic shifting on the BMWs is slightly cleaner, I think. (That may be a 4wd v Rwd thing, too.) Personally, I just haven't had fun driving MBs, but...
I love my BMW...and Im more of a BMW guy than MB but I will admit the S class by MB is very sweet! I also like the look of Audi but driving wise I will take my BMW any day.
I have owned ( still do) 5 MB and 2 Audi's.

I will NEVER buy an Audi again, ever, but I do like their look currently a great deal.

Glenn, you need to buy a Porsche.
Love the CTS-V. It's a world class automobile. As far as Porsche is concerned, if 2 seats will get the job done, the new Boxster is a smokin' little vehicle.

PH
The vehicle i miss owning the most in the past decade is easily the F-250 super duty quad cab diesel. By a long shot.
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Love the CTS-V. It's a world class automobile. As far as Porsche is concerned, if 2 seats will get the job done, the new Boxster is a smokin' little vehicle.

PH

I just do not see Glenn buying / leasing an old man car. Razz

I agree ( like all the critics) the new Boxster is a must to consider. Glenn only needs two seats!
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
I have owned ( still do) 5 MB and 2 Audi's.

I will NEVER buy an Audi again, ever, but I do like their look currently a great deal.

Glenn, you need to buy a Porsche.

My friends with Audis complain about too many minor problems requiring trips to the dealer.
quote:

w+a, I'm assuming from your continued insistence that this is an "old man car" that you STILL haven't availed yourself of the oppportunity to drive this thing. If your local Cadillac connection is still in play, I HIGHLY recommend you get your Texan ass into one of these vehicles and play. It is not, by any stretch, a geezer-mobile.... Big Grin

PH
I was invited by Cadillac to drive the CTS-V on a racetrack in Monticello, NY, accompanied by a racing instructor. The CTS-V is a monster on the track and on the road. The combination of handling, power, and luxury is unmatched in anything I've ever driven, though I hear the new M5 is in that class.
quote:
I agree ( like all the critics) the new Boxster is a must to consider. Glenn only needs two seats!

This is SUCH a great car. Starts at just over $50K too. 30 MPG to boot.

PH
quote:
quote:

w+a, I'm assuming from your continued insistence that this is an "old man car" that you STILL haven't availed yourself of the oppportunity to drive this thing. If your local Cadillac connection is still in play, I HIGHLY recommend you get your Texan ass into one of these vehicles and play. It is not, by any stretch, a geezer-mobile.... Big Grin

PH

Oh, I had the car for a three day long weekend, I thought I told you, sorry.

Remember, a friend in my small wine group is some big corporate guy with Caddy. ( he is praying he does not have to move back to Detroit) A fine car for sure, but it is still a Caddy for old men, but now they may buy this car in lieu of a Vette. Wink I know my friend says this remains one of the hurdles they are trying to overcome, which is hard.

What is next, you want me to shop at Brooks Brothers? Razz Wink
Just one of those guys who will NEVER come around on the Boxster. Give me a 3-4 year old Cayman over a brand new Boxster any day of the week.

And I am in the same age demographic as GlennK- the CTS-V is a BADASS!
quote:
It is not, by any stretch, a geezer-mobile.... Big Grin

PH

Their cars are much improved, but their demographics are still not what they want them (or need them) to be. They are having a very hard time getting the attention of younger buyers.
quote:
Originally posted by marcb7:
I love my BMW...and Im more of a BMW guy than MB but I will admit the S class by MB is very sweet! I also like the look of Audi but driving wise I will take my BMW any day.

+1, but with a lot of bias.

I still believe that in most segments, BMW has the edge in terms of product. What's changed is that both Audi and MB have improved their products, so the gap is not what it used to be. In terms of driving feel and handling, it's still BMW. I've never understood the appeal of Lexus.

Audi definitely has some very nice designs. But I don't think they have an overall design advantage compared to other brands. All have their flaws on certain models - in Audi's case, I don't think much of Q7 design, nor do I like the A1 (current gen. not available in NA).
quote:
Originally posted by shavez:

They are having a very hard time getting the attention of younger buyers.

No doubt. We hosted a baby shower this past weekend. I have never seen so many BMW, Audi, Lexus, MINI Coopers and Fiat's in one place in my life.

Not one American car. Eek
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
Wait. You have a '12 and your lease is up in less than a year? What, an 18 month lease? 24 months and you got it as it was rolling out?
24 month and I got it the week it came out. This is the first time I have had a car this quick and it’s been a blast, but I’m looking for something with a real back seat and space for golf clubs this time.
quote:
quote:

PH

Funny I’ve always considered Porsche as an older guy car! Same with Cadillac and Corvettes. I’ve driven a cayman and a 911 and they are fun for sure, but I have never loved the look of Porsche and there is a certain kind of older guy that drives a Porsche in OC that I don’t want to be confused with. Wink If I was getting something sporty like that, I would go for a Maserati over a Porsche.

As for the CTS-V, my neighbor has one and it is badass. I don’t love the look of it, but it has grown on me for sure.
quote:
quote:
Wait. You have a '12 and your lease is up in less than a year? What, an 18 month lease? 24 months and you got it as it was rolling out?
24 month and I got it the week it came out. This is the first time I have had a car this quick and it’s been a blast, but I’m looking for something with a real back seat and space for golf clubs this time.

And that is why I just dumped my XKR. Had hard time getting golf bag into the boot. Could only carry groceries. Great car, but impractcal

Looking at 5 series of A6. Both have back seat, and great luggage [Golf BAg] space.
quote:

No doubt. We hosted a baby shower this past weekend. I have never seen so many BMW, Audi, Lexus, MINI Coopers and Fiat's in one place in my life.

Good to see you're hangin' around folks with fine taste Wink
There may be a new truck in our future. Talked about it before harvest started but have suspended that for now.

The FJ Cruiser is hanging tough. We towed 3000 pounds of Syrah 120 miles with it yesterday, the first 5 miles on dirt. I just can't see anyone in an X5 towing 3 full bins of grapes.
When we travelled out west this summer, we rented a 2013 Ford Explorer and drove it 6455 miles, mosty of it on highways and paved park roads, but also on a dirt, gravel, and rocky roads. The car performed extremely well. Voice recognition and clarity of phone calls were flawless. When we stopped to look at a few sights from the car in Death Valley in the sun in 123 degree heat, the engine temperature didn't raise at all, even after a few minutes of idling. The engine temperature didn't raise at all even when we were travelling on the rocky road to get into Titus Canyon at sustained driving at 1 or 2 miles an hour interspersed with idling periods. The air conditioning worked great and the voice recognition was fine. Mileage was good as was power, but of course it didn't say BMW or Audi or Mercedes on the outside, so I'm sure it wasn't prestigious enough for Patek Philippe wearing people.
quote:
Originally posted by jorgerunfrombulls:
quote:

Good to see you're hangin' around folks with fine taste Wink

Well, more my kids friends...and none were wearing Lobb Chapel Double. Wink
I think we'll keep our E-class wagon for a few more years but it might seriously get replaced with a Tesla. The more loaded ones have all the range we need for 98% of the time (could go to the cottage and some running around without recharging). Otherwise it will either be a probably a barely used Range Rover (take advantage of terrible depreciation), Q7 diesel or used Panamera (my wife's pick).

And Porsche's arn't old man cars! I've had mine for 19 years and I'm still not old!
My wife spent a lot of time researching and test driving a lot of small to medium SUVs for the past few months, and finally after 13 vehicles narrowed it down to Audi Q5 or the newly revised Acura RDX. I drove both, and liked the Acura quite a bit more. Factor in better reliability, and that's what she bought.

While she was looking at Mercedes GLK in an auto mall, I went across the street and looked at Audi A5 and S5, which are very pretty cars. I really liked the S5 and was thoroughly impressed with some of the electronic features, so even though I wasn't intending to buy a new car, I decided to check out a couple other all-wheel drive coupes that I like, the Infinity G37 and BMW 335i. I was able to arrange extended drives in the three of them, and these were the characteristics that I thought were outstanding:

Audi - looks, electronics (inc. driver adjustable steering, suspension, throttle response, all together or individually, very impressive)
Infinity - exhaust note (seriously, this car growls)
BMW - just handles extremely well, feels completely solid and predictable, more rear seat headroom than the other two (I don't need 4 doors any more, but still have to drive 2 or 3 other people sometimes)

I ordered a 2013 335i Xdrive, without the stiff M-sport package but with everything else. I like the more compliant ride, and am willing to give up some extreme handling abilities for greater comfort. I just picked it up on Monday, and will head out of town in it this weekend. So far, my only disappointment is an unnecessarily complicated nav system. The i-drive controller that I heard so many complaints about is not at all hard to get used to.
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
My wife spent a lot of time researching and test driving a lot of small to medium SUVs for the past few months, and finally after 13 vehicles narrowed it down to Audi Q5 or the newly revised Acura RDX. I drove both, and liked the Acura quite a bit more. Factor in better reliability, and that's what she bought.

While she was looking at Mercedes GLK in an auto mall, I went across the street and looked at Audi A5 and S5, which are very pretty cars. I really liked the S5 and was thoroughly impressed with some of the electronic features, so even though I wasn't intending to buy a new car, I decided to check out a couple other all-wheel drive coupes that I like, the Infinity G37 and BMW 335i. I was able to arrange extended drives in the three of them, and these were the characteristics that I thought were outstanding:

Audi - looks, electronics (inc. driver adjustable steering, suspension, throttle response, all together or individually, very impressive)
Infinity - exhaust note (seriously, this car growls)
BMW - just handles extremely well, feels completely solid and predictable, more rear seat headroom than the other two (I don't need 4 doors any more, but still have to drive 2 or 3 other people sometimes)

I ordered a 2013 335i Xdrive, without the stiff M-sport package but with everything else. I like the more compliant ride, and am willing to give up some extreme handling abilities for greater comfort. I just picked it up on Monday, and will head out of town in it this weekend. So far, my only disappointment is an unnecessarily complicated nav system. The i-drive controller that I heard so many complaints about is not at all hard to get used to.

I test drove a lot of cars early this year and ended up with an Audi S4. I have to admit by far this is the most fun; technologically advanced car I have ever owned.

Flat out this car destroyed the BMW. Add an aftermarket exhaust and this thing sounds like a freaking race car. Have it chipped by Stassis or APR and it IS a freaking race car.

This car destroys. Yes I said destroys not only the 335 but the M3. Have a friend with a new M3 and all he sees is my tailpipes with my exhaust and engine flash.

The Nav, MMI, B&O sound system all are fun toys. This is not your old Audi. They have come light years and I'll put any of them up against a BMW or Infiniti etc. etc.
quote:
.....If I was getting something sporty like that, I would go for a Maserati over a Porsche.

Blasphemy......

PH
quote:
quote:
.....If I was getting something sporty like that, I would go for a Maserati over a Porsche.

Blasphemy......

PH

Funny I guess how markets are so different.

In our market, Maserati is clearly an old man car, and Porsche is a weekend car for many guys, and a weekday car for young women.
I just don't see Porsche and Maserati in the same class of automobiles.

Nothing against the Maserati, but not equivalent in my world.....

PH
quote:
Originally posted by T Dub:
I test drove a lot of cars early this year and ended up with an Audi S4.

What a great car! I drove an RS4 Cabriolet for a summer a few years back. I could just sit and listen to the exhaust note on that thing for weeks. It wasn't too bad to drive either.....

PH
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
.......but of course it didn't say BMW or Audi or Mercedes on the outside, so I'm sure it wasn't prestigious enough for Patek Philippe wearing people.

Damn, Board-O!!! Did someone wearing a PP cut you off in their Range Rover??? LOL

PH
quote:
This is a great option for city drivers that still need that performance...

I would simply be afraid to get into a SmartCar. I like just a little more sheet metal around me.

PH
I'm gonna fly the practical flag until Ari shows up Smile

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
probably a barely used Range Rover (take advantage of terrible depreciation),

My FJ's blue book is 92% of the purchase price. That's at age 6.

quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam: Audi - looks, electronics (inc. driver adjustable steering, suspension, throttle response, all together or individually, very impressive)

Electronics are limited, but I can pull the floor plug and hose the thing out.
quote:
Originally posted by Stefania Wine:
I'm gonna fly the practical flag until Ari shows up Smile

Love it! Smile I have to say, I LOVE the Mazda. I love the bells and whistles (which may not be as many as on other cars, but I was coming from an 8 year old, then-top-of-the-line, Honda Element with not even bluetooth...)

I'm glad I am not terribly into cars... more money to spend on wine!
quote:
quote:
.......but of course it didn't say BMW or Audi or Mercedes on the outside, so I'm sure it wasn't prestigious enough for Patek Philippe wearing people.

Damn, Board-O!!! Did someone wearing a PP cut you off in their Range Rover??? LOL

PH

No. Just responding to the exponential proliferation of pretentious posts lately.
quote:
quote:

I would simply be afraid to get into a SmartCar. I like just a little more sheet metal around me.

PH

Did you see the video??

The doors open on their own!!

I'd be terrified of that thing, but you gotta love the evil genius who decided to put a 1300cc performance motorcycle engine into a smart.
quote:

No. Just responding to the exponential proliferation of pretentious posts lately.

Wow! I bet in grade school you were put into the Advanced Alliteration class. Smile
quote:

How is this possible? That is a remarkable figure! I really love the FJ... The fun part of me would love to find an old LandCruiser from the 70s and use it for the mountains... Those things are indestructible, and look so cool.
quote:
quote:
quote:

PH

Did you see the video??

The doors open on their own!!

I'd be terrified of that thing, but you gotta love the evil genius who decided to put a 1300cc performance motorcycle engine into a smart.

Yeah, I took a look. Evil genius indeed.

PH
quote:
I just don't see Porsche and Maserati in the same class of automobiles.

Nothing against the Maserati, but not equivalent in my world.....

PH
Oh there is no doubt that Porsche is the better driving machine, but that is not what I’m looking for. I want something that looks and feels nice to me and that has some punch when I get on the highway. I’m not looking to race anyone on the mean streets of OC. Smile
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
isn't porsche owned by Volkswagen?

kinda like yer driving a glorified audi ;-)

Up until a few years ago, Ford owned Aston Martin... What are ya sayin? Smile
quote:
quote:
quote:

Blasphemy......

PH

Funny I guess how markets are so different.

In our market, Maserati is clearly an old man car, and Porsche is a weekend car for many guys, and a weekday car for young women.
In OC Porsche seems to be the go to car for the early 50’s guy that is recently divorced, sporting a very unnatural orange tan, bad veneers, hair darker than when they were 16 and wearing clothes that are way too young for them. There are tons of them on the road around here. The older guys with a bit more style are rocking a nice benz, MB or Bentley.

Of course that is a major generality and I’m sure there are plenty of true car lovers around here that have Porsches because they are a great driver’s car. I just have never loved the look of them, although my wife does like the Cayenne.
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
isn't porsche owned by Volkswagen?

kinda like yer driving a glorified audi ;-)

Volkswagon now owns the majority stake in Porsche, but most of the lines are kept separate. (The Cayenne is basically a VW Toureg and they are introducing another SUV based upon the Audi Q5). FWIW: VW also owns substantial interest in Bugatti and (I believe controlling) interest in Lamborghini. The Lambo Gallardo and Audi R8 are the same basic car.
quote:
quote:

Wow! I bet in grade school you were put into the Advanced Alliteration class. Smile

It was unintentional.
quote:
The Lambo Gallardo and Audi R8 are the same basic car.

Isn't it the S8 that has the same engine as the Lambo Gallardo?
quote:
Originally posted by CSM:
quote:
The Lambo Gallardo and Audi R8 are the same basic car.

Isn't it the S8 that has the same engine as the Lambo Gallardo?

No. The S8 is an A8 with a super-supercharged engine and various other improvements. The R8 GT actually has the exact same engine as the Gallardo, and the R8 5.2 has virtually the same engine, just slightly tuned down. Also, same platform, technology, etc.
quote:
This says the 2007 S8's engine was sourced from the Gallardo. Not sure exactly what that means, but assuming that the engine was a derivative of, though not exactly the same as, the Gallardo's engine.

http://www.autoblog.com/2005/1...w-v10-from-gallardo/

The S8, in its current form, uses a super-super charged 4 liter V-8 seen here.

The R8 uses the normally aspirated 5.2 Liter V-10 first developed for the Gallardo that can be seen here once you click on the 5.2L engine.

The R8 also shares the same platform and technology* as the Gallardo whereas the S8 is just an A8 with some improvements for performance.

Audi shifts around its engines a lot, and especially as of recent as their turbo technology has really taken off. So one engine being in a car 5 or 6 years ago has very little chance of having much to do with what exists now. For example, neither of the currently available A6 engines nor the S6 engine were available for the -6 body 5 years ago, and only one of the currently available engines (the 2.0T) existed in any form in any Audi at all (and it had substantially less power back then).

*There may be differences in the non manual shifting option depending upon exact year and model.
Last edited by winetarelli
quote:
quote:
This says the 2007 S8's engine was sourced from the Gallardo. Not sure exactly what that means, but assuming that the engine was a derivative of, though not exactly the same as, the Gallardo's engine.

The R8 uses the normally aspirated 5.2 Liter V-10 first developed for the Gallardo that can be seen here once you click on the 5.2L engine.

The R8 also shares the same platform and technology* as the Gallardo whereas the S8 is just an A8 with some improvements for performance.

Audi shifts around its engines a lot, and especially as of recent as their turbo technology has really taken off. So one engine being in a car 5 or 6 years ago has very little chance of having much to do with what exists now. For example, neither of the currently available A6 engines nor the S6 engine were available for the -6 body 5 years ago, and only one of the currently available engines (the 2.0T) existed in any form in any Audi at all (and it had substantially less power back then).

*There may be differences in the non manual shifting option depending upon exact year and model.

Starting to save my nickels for the upcoming RS5. Not the current one. Hearing they are throwing their 4.0 with a twin turbo in it that they've been developing for quite some time now. That is going to be a beautiful machine.
quote:
quote:
quote:

Starting to save my nickels for the upcoming RS5. Not the current one. Hearing they are throwing their 4.0 with a twin turbo in it that they've been developing for quite some time now. That is going to be a beautiful machine.

For serious. I didn't hear about that but that would be amazing.
quote:
quote:
quote:

It was unintentional.

I'm positive the proliferation of pathetically pretentious posts portends potential problems.
The last S6 and S8 had the V10 shared with the Gallardo. Different tune for more torque and less horsepower but same basic engine.

VW owns all of Bugatti and Lamborghini as well as 100% of Porsche (as of a couple of weeks ago). Of course the Porsche Family now owns 49% and a massive controlling interest in VW...
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
quote:

How is this possible? That is a remarkable figure! I really love the FJ... The fun part of me would love to find an old LandCruiser from the 70s and use it for the mountains... Those things are indestructible, and look so cool.

My friend Ron has an 07 and he clued me in, I actually didn't know and had to look it up. I payed 24,650 and current blue book is 22,800. From a few people what I've heard is they are just in super short supply, especially used, and dealers can flip them in less than 48 hours.
Been trying to get my coworker to get the Audi A6/A7. Keep telling him that a speaker comes up from the dashboard and that he needs it.

With the soon to be +1 in the family, I got rid of my G37 and got a Honda Pilot (Seats 8 or 5 + 2 giant dogs)

For my birthday, my wife got me a super car tour in Las Vegas. Test drove the Ferrari 458 Italia, Lamborghini LP570 Performante Spyder, and a new Porsche 911 Carrera S. While the Porsche won Motor Trend's best driver's car this year, the Ferrari 458 Italia is by far the sweetest car I've ever driven.

The Honda Pilot just doesn't drive quite as well!
Glenn, I know it's different in Europe with all our "smoke burners" but I'm lucky enough to have owned 5 MBs (E-class, C-class, CLK and SLK), 1 Audi (100 series) and 3 BMWs (3 series and 5 series) over the years, of which 3 were common rail direct injection diesel with particulate filters.

I bought my F10 5 series 20 months ago and it's simply awesome and well equipped as standard compared to Audi. It has the suspension compliance of a MB W124, the comfort of a limousine, the handling of a large sports car and astounding performance and economy. The new 8 speed sports auto boxes are a sheer delight and really do tailor the car to effortless performance.

My wife's SLK280 7sp auto is more fun and sounds better with the roof off but is harder to drive and probably no quicker over a longer run.

My servicing bills are way less than MB and Audi but maybe that's a UK dealership thing. I negotiated a 5 years service pack in with the F10.
As some of you know, my S4 was stolen from my driveway recently.

Would you consider the E63 AMG wagon? More $ but power out of my As!, new S4 or new s6?

Please consider that I like the S4 because it was understated and I have 2 babies. (My wife made me write that) Razz

Love the E63 AMG wagon but a MB - I'm under 40 - really?
Just picked up a limited edition (1 of 400 total for the U.S.) MINI Countryman S for my wife today. Many thanks to shavez who turned her on to the fact this version was coming!
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
As some of you know, my S4 was stolen from my driveway recently.

Would you consider the E63 AMG wagon? More $ but power out of my As!, new S4 or new s6?

Please consider that I like the S4 because it was understated and I have 2 babies. (My wife made me write that) Razz

Love the E63 AMG wagon but a MB - I'm under 40 - really?

Mangiare- I am so sorry to hear about that... that is horrible. I hope new car shopping will help take away some of the sting. As for MB, the E63 ain't your grand-daddy's Benz. That car is badass at any age. Are you considering the S4 is wagon format as well? If you are thinking sedan for S4, I would probably lean that way, but if you are considering wagon for both, I gotta give the nod to the E-wagon. You'll look good behind the wheel of either however, and those are two wagons that even the kids will be proud to get dropped off to school in.
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Bevo:
Just picked up a limited edition (1 of 400 total for the U.S.) MINI Countryman S for my wife today. Many thanks to shavez who turned her on to the fact this version was coming!

Hey, that's awesome! Please pass on my regards and congratulate her for me...
SDW - I'm undecided if i actually like the A7 and doesn't come in the S version in my market.
TPE - The S4 doesn't come in wagon format in our market. It would be a sedan.
The only reason I'm considering the E63 wagon is I buy sprinter trucks from a MB dealer and my contact is all over me with a really good deal that is hard to pass up. I am a little concerned about clients perception of the MB. The other factor is the S4 and E63 are ready for pick-up while the S6 would be March 2013. Geez, just looked at the E63 wagon again and its real nice. The question is - is it too much? regarding perception?
quote:
SDW - I'm undecided if i actually like the A7 and doesn't come in the S version in my market.
The only reason I'm considering the E63 wagon is I buy sprinter trucks from a MB dealer and my contact is all over me with a really good deal that is hard to pass up. I am a little concerned about clients perception of the MB. The other factor is the S4 and E63 are ready for pick-up while the S6 would be March 2013. Geez, just looked at the E63 wagon again and its real nice. The question is - is it too much? regarding perception?

What did you end up getting. I'm also driving an S4. So sorry to hear about your loss. I love my car and would say you should stay with Audi.

The new S6 looks sick!
quote:
I test drove a lot of cars early this year and ended up with an Audi S4. I have to admit by far this is the most fun; technologically advanced car I have ever owned.

For the record, T Dub's car is EXTREMELY cool. How cool? Quite possibly the coolest car in which I have been a passenger. Although, my brother's GTI Rabbit was pretty cool in 1986. Big Grin
quote:

You don't think I'm cool!?! I have an e500 4matic wagon and I love it. And it's totally cool. When I replace it probably late 2013 an E63 wagon is on my very short shortlist (along with a RangeRover, GL350 diesel & tesla).

I've driven the e63 a number of times and it is a whole lot of fun. You aren't an old man for getting one (now buying an s-class is a different story). Even with the new engine its a bit of a gas pig around town but it's worth it. The problem is you will hardly ever use all the power.

It's a much better car the the A7 (I can't like the looks no matter how much I try). Now, the e-class is about to get a facelift and the new one looks much better. Probably the reason you might be getting a deal. Some people will look at the car and say "solid family man", others (who know what it is) will say "q-ship maniacal baller".
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
quote:

For the record, T Dub's car is EXTREMELY cool. How cool? Quite possibly the coolest car in which I have been a passenger. Although, my brother's GTI Rabbit was pretty cool in 1986. Big Grin

To be fair; my car isn't exactly stock. Big Grin
quote:
I ended up getting a 2013 S4. It's no E63 but it was the right call for me right now.

I likey so far.

Sweet. I'm starting come around on the new front end. Although I still prefer the "old" led's.

Good friend of mine just picked up and RS5. Really beautiful car but he's still pissed that all he sees are my tailights.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
quote:

I remember as a teenager my dad had an Audi 200 Turbo with the full ABT RS2 stage 3 or 4 kit on it. I think it made just over 400bhp which in the early 90's was a whole whole lot. It was fun showing up Porsche turbos Devilish
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
quote:

I remember as a teenager my dad had an Audi 200 Turbo with the full ABT RS2 stage 3 or 4 kit on it. I think it made just over 400bhp which in the early 90's was a whole whole lot. It was fun showing up Porsche turbos Devilish

I'm sitting at stage 2 right now. Once my warranty is gone I'll really see what this baby can do. With that being said the guy in the Ferrari F430 last weekend didn't like my car very much.

I may test drive the Porsche Panamera when my dad is in town next week for my birthday. I can't afford it, but I have always wondered how it drives on the highway.

Anyone here have this car? Do you have any complaints?

IW
quote:
T Dub - do tell please.
I NEED to know.

Mangiare; what is it you need to know?
quote:
quote:
T Dub - do tell please.
I NEED to know.

Mangiare; what is it you need to know?

My interest has been piqued as well... what sort of car/aftermarket equiptment do you have?

quote:
I may test drive the Porsche Panamera when my dad is in town next week for my birthday. I can't afford it, but I have always wondered how it drives on the highway.

IW, both my dad and good friend have these (4S and turbo) and love them. My father took the leap from a BMW 550i and says the difference he gets in enjoyment is great. I've driven the 4S and it is wonderful. They are very big cars -- lots of space and room and comfort -- that feel a lot smaller (from the driver's point of view) than they actually are. Still, it is an adjustment coming from being used to an A4 when you get behind the wheel.
T Dub, I'm interested in what you did to an S4 to go head to head with a Ferrari and will it match my daughters new cow pattern car seat? Wink
quote:
Originally posted by Italian Wino:

IW

Don' town one, but I"ve driven through the line-up.

I"m used to fast cars but the Turbo is silly fast. I don't hink I"ve driven a 4-door like that before. Most people buy the V8 4S in North America but thuthfully the v6 is a nice little engine with enough power for around town.

Interior is wonderful but truly a 4 seater. It will be great when the little guy is out of his car seat but until then just doesn't work.

As winetarelli says, it is BIG but drives much smaller than it is.
I drove a Panamera S for a 10 day run when it was released, and it was like having a 911 with a back seat. I loved that car. Was very sad to go back to driving my regular company vehicle.... Frown

PH
quote:
T Dub, I'm interested in what you did to an S4 to go head to head with a Ferrari and will it match my daughters new cow pattern car seat? Wink

I'm not sure about matching any cow pattern seats, lol.

So far I've got a stage 2 ecu flash, cold air intake, upgraded the intercooler, downpipes/exhaust, front and rear sways/end links. I'm running 11.7/11.8 1/4 miles right now.

I'll run with most cars out there. Now the newer Ferrari's a la the 458. No chance. 360's/F430's don't stand a chance. Not that I wouldn't trade them car for car in a heartbeat!
Test drove several cars over the last few days. Audi rS4 was disappointing in every way. M5 was great, but the CTS-V has more gutsy feel and handling and is way more luxurious. CLS63 not worth the coin.
quote:
quote:

I'm not sure about matching any cow pattern seats, lol.

So far I've got a stage 2 ecu flash, cold air intake, upgraded the intercooler, downpipes/exhaust, front and rear sways/end links. I'm running 11.7/11.8 1/4 miles right now.

I'll run with most cars out there. Now the newer Ferrari's a la the 458. No chance. 360's/F430's don't stand a chance. Not that I wouldn't trade them car for car in a heartbeat!

T Dub . . . Hola from Boston. This is a perfect thread for me right now because I'm going to be buying a new car in the next 12 months (currently in a 2008 BMW 335xi).

Options are as follows:
--Audi S7
--Audi S6
--BMW 535xi
--Maserati Ghibli
--Panamera 4S (thought this likely would be a stretch unless I go for a used model)

Essentially, looking for a slight size up from a 3-series / A4 sized-car.

Have no experience with Mercedes. The AMG lines look enticing especially since they are starting to incorporate 4 wheel drive which is an absolute necessity here in the NE

thoughts?
Timely bump. I've got the itch again. Need to replace either my rag-top or my daily driver soon. As is typical for me, I'll be looking at late model, used stuff. Best bang for the buck.

PH
quote:
Test drove several cars over the last few days. Audi rS4 was disappointing in every way. M5 was great, but the CTS-V has more gutsy feel and handling and is way more luxurious. CLS63 not worth the coin.

Only old folks drive Caddy's. Thought you liked the action cars like your M37 [or whatever it was]. The M5's are not as great as before. I like the A7 but got something different. Bigger trunk, free maintenance!!!
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Bowers [i.e. FlWino]:
2014 BMW 528i with drivers assist, premium, leather

Congrats - great choice.
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Bowers [i.e. FlWino]:
quote:

Only old folks drive Caddy's.

Ordered a 2014 556 HP CTS-V Coupe. If that makes me an old person, so be it.

Thought you liked the action cars like your M37 [or whatever it was].

I had an M45 years ago. I do like action cars which is precisely why I ordered the CTS-V Coupe.

Good luck with the 528
Board-O, really trying to like that caddy because of what's under the hood but the lines just make me cringe.
To each their own....
Congrats on the new purchase.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.