quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
i've slept at the holiday inn express last night,

i can swap out rear suspensions for payments in wine.


I could pay you 2 cases of 2014 Haut Brion and I'd still be ahead... doh
sorry to hear Rob
Yeah. I've got a few cases of wine sitting in Lewiston and I'm thinking of renting a car next week just to go down and get them.

Looks like the plan right now is to just get rid of the car and buy something else.
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
i've slept at the holiday inn express last night,

i can swap out rear suspensions for payments in wine.


I could pay you 2 cases of 2014 Haut Brion and I'd still be ahead... doh


i'd hazard to guess you drive a benz, in which case wasnt there a massive recall ont eh Sensotronic brake controll?

maybe a cls 500 where the rear air suspension is prone to failure too
Yup. E500 4Matic wagon.

In the US there was a class action lawsuit and they pushed the warranty out on those parts a bit but the car's 10 years old and Canadian so...

One front Airmatic shock is $1,700 for the part alone (not a factory part, those are more expensive). They both went... Along with a host of other things.
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
Yup. E500 4Matic wagon.

In the US there was a class action lawsuit and they pushed the warranty out on those parts a bit but the car's 10 years old and Canadian so...

One front Airmatic shock is $1,700 for the part alone (not a factory part, those are more expensive). They both went... Along with a host of other things.


heh one of the reasons why i drive a poor man's german car (my volkswagon)

but yea, the benz parts alone are crazy expensive so it's not like you can save on labor.
that hurts- sorry rob- i would trade the car in at the dealership you have a long-standing relationship with, and leverage your past and future business to not ding you too badly on the necessary repairs.
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
the one car i've been hoping that gets released is the vw microbus.

i really really want one.


Still the most favorite car I have owned.

Drove my '73 beastie from Montreal to Panama and back and the only thing I had to do to it was get new brakes in Guatemala and adjust the timing on it depending on whether we were near the ocean or in the mountain.
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
The one I know I"m NOT driving is mine... Frown

Rear air suspension and the Sensotronic Brake Control both went last week (on the way to pick up all the wine I had shipped to Lewiston).

They still haven't added up how much it's going to cost to fix but it will be many many cases of wine.

Note to self, heed your own advice and always get rid of the car BEFORE things start to go wrong.

I just spent $4,600 (tax included) to replace my left-front suspension cylinder + the pressure hose which was also leaking. $850 just for the fricking hose!?!?!? That's almost what NASA pays for its hammers and toilet seats. I thought they must be joking. How much does it cost to make a hose that won't leak? My car is 10 years old but only has 110k kilometers on it.

A friend of mine recently traded in his M-Benz on a VW Touareg diesel. I think he just got fed up with all the pretense and the puffed-up bullshit when you deal with Benz.

Note that NASA hasn't asked Benz to build them any toilet seats! They probably realise that they will leak!
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:

A friend of mine recently traded in his M-Benz on a VW Touareg diesel. I think he just got fed up with all the pretense and the puffed-up bullshit when you deal with Benz.

I can relate, completely.

I don't miss my Benz at all (since the engine spontaneously combusted). I doubt that I will ever purchase another.

I am very happy with my Acura RDX, now a little over one year later. Very pleased indeed.
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:

A friend of mine recently traded in his M-Benz on a VW Touareg diesel. I think he just got fed up with all the pretense and the puffed-up bullshit when you deal with Benz.

I can relate, completely.

I don't miss my Benz at all (since the engine spontaneously combusted). I doubt that I will ever purchase another.

I am very happy with my Acura RDX, now a little over one year later. Very pleased indeed.

I test drove the 2014 RDX after I demolished my 2002 MDX in a collision with a deer on the highway. I was very impressed with the way it drove and handled for such a large vehicle. I would have bought it to replace the MDX except for the fact that both my kids were learning to drive just then and I couldn't bear the thought that they would treat the vehicle just as I did when I learned to drive. explode
Haven't found something to replace the e-class wagon with yet, and as it's summer (and we live near a streetcar line that gets both my wife and I to work in under 25 minutes) I haven't been in a rush.

We rented a Lincoln MKZ for a week which we took to Montreal. I was concerned it would be too small to bring a weeks worth of crap to the cottage (two boys under 5 and a wife) but it managed. I was pleasantly surprised by the thing, lots of gizmos, decent build quality, almost enough power to get out of its own way, fantastic fuel economy (coming from a big V8 family car that is easy to do!).

I wouldn't buy one, but it greatly enhanced my opinion of Lincoln.

Rented a Chrysler 300S this week-end. drives much bigger than it's already large size. Better interior than I expected which still equates to very cheap anywhere they can get away with it. TERRIBLE gearbox computer had it hunting all over it's 8 gears. Almost enough power when you really thrash it but otherwise, worse than 'Meh'. Also 70's era cruise control which would loose 2-3km of speed, shift down for 10 seconds then shift up again. OVER and Over...
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
quote:
Originally posted by Bigfoot003:
Couple of Audi's: A7 & S5. To be practical or fun... felix


Simple...RS7


+1.
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
Yup. E500 4Matic wagon.

In the US there was a class action lawsuit and they pushed the warranty out on those parts a bit but the car's 10 years old and Canadian so...

One front Airmatic shock is $1,700 for the part alone (not a factory part, those are more expensive). They both went... Along with a host of other things.


heh one of the reasons why i drive a poor man's german car (my volkswagon)

but yea, the benz parts alone are crazy expensive so it's not like you can save on labor.


About 15 years ago I needed to replace the 350 transmission in my 1969 Firebird. I found one at the 'Trannyman' and here was the conversation:

Me : "How much do you want for it"
TM : "$75"
Me : "Cool. I'm kind of busy right now though, how much to have you install it"
TM : "The $75 includes installation".
Me : "great let's do it.:
TM ; "I'll give you $10 for the junk one we're taking out, second and third gear are still fine and I can part it".
Me : "deal"
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
quote:
Originally posted by Bigfoot003:
Couple of Audi's: A7 & S5. To be practical or fun... felix


Simple...RS7


Oh yeah, that thought has most definitely crossed my mind...thank you both for contributing to my problem!
Though if you want to stay with a semi-practical coupe, go look at an s63 coupe at Mercedes. Maybe the nicest interior of any car currently on the market and gobs of power. I think around the same price as an RS7.
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
Though if you want to stay with a semi-practical coupe, go look at an s63 coupe at Mercedes. Maybe the nicest interior of any car currently on the market and gobs of power. I think around the same price as an RS7.


Been down the Mercedes road before. Cost to repair/maintain is insane as noted in threads here previously. With 2 small kids, the 4-doors is either the more practical choice, or I just admit that I'm buying a car for my "alone" time and move on.
Recently enjoyed the privilege of being up close and personal with a Ferrari Enzo and, next to it, a Pagani Zonda Cinque.

I think I might have wet myself a little. Cool
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
Recently enjoyed the privilege of being up close and personal with a Ferrari Enzo and, next to it, a Pagani Zonda Cinque.

I think I might have wet myself a little. Cool

I did just reading your post - wow...
Well, I was smashed from behind on I-95 on Monday night and my E350 is a total write-off, so I am in the market for a new auto.

Gotta give credit to my Mercedes, it took a major hit and I was able to walk away from it. I loved that car...

Any thoughts? Something big and safe, I think, is in order.
i just bought a ford escape

some good deals out there.

i'm Really really tempted to buy another vw passat with all the insane deals going on

you can get a fully loaded v6vw passat for 26k all included @ 70 months 0% interest.
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:

you can get a fully loaded v6vw passat for 26k all included @ 70 months 0% interest.


That does sound like an excellent deal, even without the easy financing. I wonder how much better a deal you could get on a VW diesel-engined car now?
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:

you can get a fully loaded v6vw passat for 26k all included @ 70 months 0% interest.


That does sound like an excellent deal, even without the easy financing. I wonder how much better a deal you could get on a VW diesel-engined car now?


they're not allowed to sell them since the epa didnt sign off on the car.

tho there are some dealers just trying to get rid of it on the lot.

they're offering 16k off sticker tag
I'd take that deal.

The really funny thing is when the car wasn't in "Test" mode it had better fuel economy and produced way less CO2...
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
I'd take that deal.

The really funny thing is when the car wasn't in "Test" mode it had better fuel economy and produced way less CO2...


it wasn't the CO2

it was the nitrous oxide i believe

and it produced quite alot of nox =)
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
I'd take that deal.

The really funny thing is when the car wasn't in "Test" mode it had better fuel economy and produced way less CO2...


it wasn't the CO2

it was the nitrous oxide i believe

and it produced quite alot of nox =)


The "test" cheat circuit was to reduce the NOx, it also drastically decreased the HP and increased CO2 (but still below allowable cutoffs). They did this because it was too expensive to incorporate AdBlue to the engine (like MB Bluetec etc...). So when the car isn't on the cheat circuit it actually delivers much better fuel economy and the CO2 emissions go down. NOx emissions do however go through the roof.

So you can say that the decreased CO2 and the much better fuel economy (and way more horsepower) should at least offset the increased NOx, but the EPA won't care because the hate diesels.
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
I'd take that deal.

The really funny thing is when the car wasn't in "Test" mode it had better fuel economy and produced way less CO2...


it wasn't the CO2

it was the nitrous oxide i believe

and it produced quite alot of nox =)


The "test" cheat circuit was to reduce the NOx, it also drastically decreased the HP and increased CO2 (but still below allowable cutoffs). They did this because it was too expensive to incorporate AdBlue to the engine (like MB Bluetec etc...). So when the car isn't on the cheat circuit it actually delivers much better fuel economy and the CO2 emissions go down. NOx emissions do however go through the roof.

So you can say that the decreased CO2 and the much better fuel economy (and way more horsepower) should at least offset the increased NOx, but the EPA won't care because the hate diesels.


yea i totally get it

muhc like the WHO hates bacon.
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
I'd take that deal.

The really funny thing is when the car wasn't in "Test" mode it had better fuel economy and produced way less CO2...


it wasn't the CO2

it was the nitrous oxide i believe

and it produced quite alot of nox =)


The "test" cheat circuit was to reduce the NOx, it also drastically decreased the HP and increased CO2 (but still below allowable cutoffs). They did this because it was too expensive to incorporate AdBlue to the engine (like MB Bluetec etc...). So when the car isn't on the cheat circuit it actually delivers much better fuel economy and the CO2 emissions go down. NOx emissions do however go through the roof.

So you can say that the decreased CO2 and the much better fuel economy (and way more horsepower) should at least offset the increased NOx, but the EPA won't care because the hate diesels.


NOx is only an issue in cities with a concentration of NOx emiting vehicles, and in particular, ones with lots of sunshine and inversions. A good solutions would be to allow the offending diesels to be operated in rural areas, but you know that won't happen because owners would cheat.
Bought another E350 a few weeks ago. Nice car. feels solid, and the technology upgrades from my old 350 are very noticeable.

I am really amazed at the jump in safety technology in cars over the last 5 years.
Took my CTS-V coupe in for an oil change. The 2016 is only available as a sedan. HP has been boosted to 640. One year left on my three year lease. As of now, I expect I'll stick with the CTS-V. I hope they offer it as a coupe for 2017.

I was driving behind a high Jeep on I-95 and a truck tire piece passed between its wheels. I had no time to react but I knew my car wouldn't clear it. At 75, I swerved hard to the right then hard left to avoid it. I was expecting some fishtail ing but there was not a hint of any. It was like riding on rails. I drove one on a racetrack and it convinced me.
A friend of mine is seriously looking at a '01 Aston Martin DB7 Volante convertible, with less than 35K miles. Sounds like a good excuse for a road trip! Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by FL Wino:
Finally made the decision. Bought a C450 AMG. Special order, get it in February.


A lot of car for the money! Congrats.

You were a BMW guy previously, correct?
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by FL Wino:
Finally made the decision. Bought a C450 AMG. Special order, get it in February.


A lot of car for the money! Congrats.

You were a BMW guy previously, correct?



Only had 8 BMW's in my life time jalopy
6 Jags Best the XKR
3 Porsches
2 Audi's [the worst was in the 80's]
quote:
Originally posted by FL Wino:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by FL Wino:
Finally made the decision. Bought a C450 AMG. Special order, get it in February.


A lot of car for the money! Congrats.

You were a BMW guy previously, correct?



Only had 8 BMW's in my life time jalopy
6 Jags Best the XKR
3 Porsches
2 Audi's [the worst was in the 80's]


Two Audi's as well...SUCKED!

Five MB's.

Add Reply

×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×