What BEER are you drinking?

Firestone Walker Feral Brut- One of the most interesting beers I've had in a long time. The label says a "wild ale fermented with grapes", but it's not very sour or tart. It had a round full mouthfeel of a wine, with the effervescence of champagne meets beer, lots of fruit notes. Easily the best "wine/beer hybrid" I've ever had. Pricey at $30 for a 750ml but worth it. It also just won gold at the Great American Beer Festival.

their description:
Four years in the making: Pinot noir grapes crushed under foot, cofermented & matured in French oak for one year, blended & then bottle conditioned. Riddled, methode traditionelle, for three years.

They took it off the shelves and are doing ticketing (and bumped the price up $5). I went in for another 3 bottles
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/f...-51275223574#tickets

Went to the taproom at local brewery Labrosse and tried almost everything they had on tap. The Tripel is definitely the best, but at 9.3% abv it packs a punch. The alcohol doesn't overpower the taste though.

The IPA is pretty good too.

The almond porter was...interesting. Not enough (any) carbonation imo.

doubled posted:

Oskar Blues Death by Coconut from a can.  Excellent.  The nuances start to come out as it warms up from fridge temp to room temp.

Great minds think alike...just bought some:

Oskar Blues Death by Coconut

Founder's Breakfast Stout

Founder's Backwards Bastard

steve8 posted:

Finally got to try some Dogfish Head 75 Minute IPA. Like it a lot. Very easy to drink.

Also drank some High 5 IPA from Ft. Myers Brewing. Not bad.

Just curious: 'got to try some 75 Minute'...meaning you mixed equal parts of 60 and 90 Minute?  Or were you somewhere that was actually serving 75? 

vint posted:
steve8 posted:

Finally got to try some Dogfish Head 75 Minute IPA. Like it a lot. Very easy to drink.

Also drank some High 5 IPA from Ft. Myers Brewing. Not bad.

Just curious: 'got to try some 75 Minute'...meaning you mixed equal parts of 60 and 90 Minute?  Or were you somewhere that was actually serving 75? 

I was in a store that was selling it so grabbed a 6-pack. No, not here.

IIRC, Purple Haze suggested the idea of mixing the 60 and 90 in a post a few years ago when I mentioned I had never even heard of the 75. The mixing might give the alcohol, but the label on the 75 said there is maple syrup in it. I don't think there is in either the 60 or 90?

2013 Goose Island Sofie.

A sucker for following directions, I put this in the cellar about four years ago because the label states "Develops in the bottle for up to five years".  After popping the cap and soaking a wide swath of counter and floor with the resulting foam volcano, I eventually got the bottle safely over the sink.  When the froth finally subsided, about half the bottle was left.  The underside of the crown cap is not pretty - the plastic liner was bubbling and discoloured. Photo attached for those with strong stomachs.

Somewhat against my better judgment, I'm drinking a glass of it now. First impression is the striking similarity to a skin-fermented white wine.  Funky, leesy, aromas of hay and citrus and more than a hint of sweaty feet. Still has a nice acid kick and something nutty, like almond on the finish.  It's kind of growing on me. I just hope, given that grotty cap, it's not also growing inside me.  

Attachments

Photos (1)
vint posted:

2013 Goose Island Sofie.

A sucker for following directions, I put this in the cellar about four years ago because the label states "Develops in the bottle for up to five years".  After popping the cap and soaking a wide swath of counter and floor with the resulting foam volcano, I eventually got the bottle safely over the sink.  When the froth finally subsided, about half the bottle was left.  The underside of the crown cap is not pretty - the plastic liner was bubbling and discoloured. Photo attached for those with strong stomachs.

Somewhat against my better judgment, I'm drinking a glass of it now. First impression is the striking similarity to a skin-fermented white wine.  Funky, leesy, aromas of hay and citrus and more than a hint of sweaty feet. Still has a nice acid kick and something nutty, like almond on the finish.  It's kind of growing on me. I just hope, given that grotty cap, it's not also growing inside me.  

VinT hasn't posted since Dec. 6th. Has anyone seen or heard from him since then? That capsule did look nasty.

Last night I had a La Fabrique, IPA, Esperanza. Yowza. 7.5% abv. No IBU given, but it's very bitter. Thumbs up if you like bitter grapefruit styled IPA.

Add Reply

Likes (0)