What BEER are you drinking?

quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:
quote:
I think we have the makings of a solid prisoner-exchange program: New Glarus for Pliny. heard great things - have never had the opportunity to try their beers...

Pliny's not exactly readily available in my neck of the woods, either! I'll occasionally see it at some higher end grocery stores (like Whole Foods), and there's a couple places that have it on tap.

But, absolutely...I'm up for a (1) for (1) swap!

What is it about Pliny the Elder? Never had it, but recently there was a local beer/wine shop that was sponsoring a lottery-type drawing for the opportunity to purchase a bottle. Confused

I think it would be easy to make an argument for Pliny the Elder (and Younger) being the best expressions of IPA's in America, and possibly the world. The beer is impeccably balanced, even with the massive amount of hops & grain necessary for a Double Imperial IPA. If you get a chance to try one, don't pass it up.

In case you don't win that "beer lottery," I could suggest a few that come close to Pliny:

- Dogfish Head "90 Minute IPA"
- Stone Brewery "Lucky Bastard" (just got re-released)

- Ballast Point "Sculpin"

* I also hear good things about the "Three Floyds" brewery, but I haven't tried anything from them.
I've had Pliny the Elder and, while it's certainly good, I don't understand the insane lust people have for it. Pliny the Younger...well, never been lucky (or willing) enough to try and try some. There are a heck of a lot of VERY good IPAs that compete with or, in my opinion, to ol' Pliny. Of course, that's just my $.02. Cool
Shane and BRR, I don't like IPA that much but I do like Pliny. Agree with the Dogfish 90 being another IPA in that league but somehow don't dig the Sculpin. I think Avery Maharaja may be my favorite IPA though.

BRR, name an IPA you have in mind that competes with Pliny.
Right now, I'm drinking a Diamond Knot Ho!Ho! Winter Ale. This is brewed about 2 miles from my house, in a small town on Puget Sound, called Mukilteo.
Dark and malty, but very crisp. Coffee notes along with dark roasted grain, and just a sweet upnote at the end.
Last night at a Winter Beer tasting. All beers tasted double blind on a 10 point scale. Roughly 12 or a little over participated and scored the beers.

Beer - Average - Std Dev
Anderson Valley Winter Solstice 7.14 1.5
Mikkeler Santas Little Helper 2012 7.1 1.6
Breckenridge Autumn 6.99 1.2
Boulevard Nut Cracker Ale 6.92 1.7
Rahrs Winter Warmer 6.6 1.4
St Arnold Sailing Santa 6.38 1.5
Sierra Nevada Celebration 6.33 1.2
Big Sky Powder Hound 6.32 1.7
Stone Enjoy By 12/12/12 IPA 6.31 2.7
St Arnold Christmas Ale 6.28 2
Summit Winter Ale 6.28 1.5
St Bernardus 6.21 2.4
Nice Chouffe 6.14 1.7
Shiner Cheer 6.13 1.5
Harpoon 2012 6.11 1.1
Choc Beer Winter Stout 6.1 0.9
Sam Adams Winter Lager 6.09 1.8
Pyramid Snow Cap 6.09 2
Scaldis Noel 6.08 2
Avery Old Jubelation 6.08 1.5
Full Sail Wreck the Halls 6.04 1.3
Deschutes Jubelale 6.03 1.6
Blue Moon Winter Abbey Ale 6.03 2.1
Brooklyn Winter Ale 5.96 1.4
Magic Hat Heart of Darkness 5.91 1.9
Gouden Carolus Noel 5.89 2.1
Kerstmutske Christmas Nightcap 5.88 1.6
He Brew Jewbulation 5.84 2.6
Sam Adams White Christmas 5.83 2
Reindeer's Revolt 5.83 1.5
Red Hook Winter Hook 5.8 1.4
Wasatch 5.67 2
Delirium Noel 5.61 1.2
Homebrew 5.6 1.7
Anchor Christmas 2011 5.59 1.9
Full Sail Wassail 5.59 1.5
Alaskan Winter Ale 5.55 1.5
Breckenridge Christmas Ale 5.45 1.3
Tommy Knocker Cocoa Porter 5.44 1.2
Anchor Christmas 2012 5.39 2.1
Rogue Santas Private Reserve 5.33 1.6
Bridgeport Ebenezer Ale 5.22 1.7
New Belgium Snow Day 5.08 1.8
Afligem Noel 5 1.9
Samuel Smiths Winter Welcome 4.94 1.5
Ska Euphoria 4.88 2.3
Abita Christmas Ale 4.79 1.9
Newcastle 4.75 1.4
quote:
Originally posted by spo:
Shane and BRR, I don't like IPA that much but I do like Pliny. Agree with the Dogfish 90 being another IPA in that league but somehow don't dig the Sculpin. I think Avery Maharaja may be my favorite IPA though.

BRR, name an IPA you have in mind that competes with Pliny.

Sure! The first that came to mind: Firestone Walker Double Jack.
quote:
Finally got to try a Dogfish Head 120 over the weekend. I did not like it at all. Split a small bottle with a buddy and could only handle a few small sips from my glass. Way over the top. Ack

+1

The "120" is indeed, pretty gross. It tastes like somebody dumped a cup of sugar in cough syrup...not for me. It's the only Dogfish Head I haven't enjoyed.

If you come across their "Sah-Tea," give it a try.

From Dogfish Head's website:

"The wort for Sah'tea is caramelized over white-hot river rocks, and the beer is fermented with a German weizen yeast. In addition to juniper berries foraged from the Finnish countryside, Sah'tea is flavored with black tea, cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and black pepper."

Good stuff!
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
...drank a lot of Negra Modelo and a few Pacificos.

Cool

I'm heading to Puerto Vallarta in a couple months. I hear an ex-pat just opened a brewpub down there and is getting good reviews.

The Baja Brewing Company was opened by three Colorado ex-pats in Los Cabos.
My fiance is a huge fan of Day of the Dead art and decorations. We actually went to Janitzio island outside of Patzcuaro on Dia de los Muertos in 2010. She hates beer, but I'm guessing I'll be pushed to see how we can get some of the Los Muertos product up here. I'll peruse their web site in depth later. Thanks for the link!

Add Reply

Likes (0)