What BEER are you drinking?

After a great week in San Diego:

Karl Strauss Red Trolley Ale, 5.8% ABV, 17 IBU
Karl Strauss Amber Ale, 4.5% ABV, 18 IBU
Karl Strauss Octoberfest 5% ABV, 20 IBU

All of these beers are sessionable with a pleasant, flavorful taste. I also had the pleasure of meeting co-founder Chris Strauss.
They do not plan to expand to SC anytime soon, so I spared him the sales pitch.

Stone Ruination IPA 7.7% ABV, 100+ IBU - huge IPA not for the faint of heart, maybe too hoppy

Bear Republic Racer Five IPA - 7% ABV, 70 IBU - a beautifully, balanced brew (I brought some of this home with me).

Ballast point Pale Ale - 4.6% ABv, 23 IBU - not bad

Green Flash Hop Hear Red IPA - 7.0% ABV, 70 IBU - have not tried, but we brought some home
quote:
Originally posted by scbeerman:
Bear Republic Racer Five IPA - 7% ABV, 70 IBU - a beautifully, balanced brew (I brought some of this home with me).

I love this beer, and you nailed it. It's got that great, assertive hoppiness, but it's so balanced and quaffable.
Tailgating at the Northwestern v. Iowa game last Saturday with the Mrs., Vino Me and Lady Vino Me, we had a Rogue Voodoo Doughnut Bacon Maple Ale. While each independent ingredient sounds wonderful, combined they are awful. Although, my wife and VM did seem to enjoy it.
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
Tailgating at the Northwestern v. Iowa game last Saturday with the Mrs., Vino Me and Lady Vino Me, we had a Rogue Voodoo Doughnut Bacon Maple Ale. While each independent ingredient sounds wonderful, combined they are awful. Although, my wife and VM did seem to enjoy it.

I assume by "Northwestern" you meant "7-1 Northwestern". Go Cats!
quote:

I had one of the above described Voodoo Donuts a couple of weeks ago while in Portland. It was pretty tasty - paired with coffee. Considered buying a bomber of the beer but passed.
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
quote:

I had one of the above described Voodoo Donuts a couple of weeks ago while in Portland. It was pretty tasty - paired with coffee. Considered buying a bomber of the beer but passed.

Good decision to pass on the beer as VM is right. Disgusting doesn't even begin to cover it.
quote:
Originally posted by CSM:
quote:
quote:

Good decision to pass on the beer as VM is right. Disgusting doesn't even begin to cover it.

It's a beer you share a bottle of with 3-4 people. At that amount it is great (IMHO) but unpalatable at anything close to a full bottle or more.
quote:
Originally posted by EB Wine:
Three Floyds flight night at my house- I've gathered:

Gumball Head
Zombie Dust
Risgoop
Broo Doo
Rye Da Tiger
Zes Zes Zes
Dreadnaught
Moloko

EB, I might be in the city next Saturday with another forum member who has to make a Flickinger pickup. Any chance you would be interested in meeting for a beer or two at Goose Island or the Map Room? Wine Sparty, you too in case you see this. We are thinking of making it something of a beer day. While picking up wine.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by EB Wine:
Three Floyds flight night at my house- I've gathered:

Gumball Head
Zombie Dust
Risgoop
Broo Doo
Rye Da Tiger
Zes Zes Zes
Dreadnaught
Moloko

EB, I might be in the city next Saturday with another forum member who has to make a Flickinger pickup. Any chance you would be interested in meeting for a beer or two at Goose Island or the Map Room? Wine Sparty, you too in case you see this. We are thinking of making it something of a beer day. While picking up wine.

That would be cool- I should be around. Let's touch base during the week and see if we can work something out. I can walk to Map Room so a slight preference there.
quote:
Originally posted by Rothko:
Local Costco has Chimay Grande Reserve .750 selling for about $9 a bottle. Is it worth trying at that price?

Based on what we spend on wine around here, why not!? It's $11.99 per at Binnys in Chicago and they're usually competitively priced.

Also, I think this is one you could age...maybe grab a couple and cellar one just for fun.

Add Reply

Likes (0)