While in the Philippines recently for two weeks, Red Horse Ale, a new favorite. Just need to find where I can buy it here.
This past Saturday - Augustiner Edelstoff Helles.

Looking forward to the start of Oktoberfest this coming Saturday...
quote:
Originally posted by shavez:
This past Saturday - Augustiner Edelstoff Helles.

Looking forward to the start of Oktoberfest this coming Saturday...


My favorite beer. Ever.

Yesterday: Rogue Dead Guy.
i drank alot of that the last time i was in asheville. not bad at all.

quote:
Originally posted by Keeno:
Sweetwater 420
Sat. night at my friends going away party we had a Struis Cuvee Delphine, which is Black Albert(beer cousin of Fat Big Grin)aged in Four Roses Bourbon Brls, '04 Cantillon Lou Pepe Kriek and a 3L of Triple Karmeliet.
Mainly homebrews:
Baldy's Summer Spectacular
Baldy's Blonde Bimbo

Looking for the weather to cool down so I can pop:
Stone Imperial Russian Stout
Southern Tier Oak Aged Unearthly IPA (FANTASTIC!)
Elysian Night Owl Pumpkin
Jack Russell London Porter and Jack Russell Irish Red Ale... Unbelievably rich and creamy. Neither are the least bit hoppie (sp?).

I've had the Jack Russell Brown Ale in the past and really liked it as well.

Because Jack Russell beers / ales are hard to find retail, I always try to stock up whenever I am in close proximity to their facility.

Jack Russell Brewing is located in Camino, California.
quote:
Originally posted by vinosnob:
Sat. night at my friends going away party we had a Struis Cuvee Delphine, which is Black Albert(beer cousin of Fat Big Grin)aged in Four Roses Bourbon Brls, '04 Cantillon Lou Pepe Kriek and a 3L of Triple Karmeliet.


2 quick questions:
1. How did you like the Lou Pepe kriek?
2. Have you had the regular Lou Pepe gueuze? I have a bottle waiting for me, but I have yet to pick it up, and have never tried it. TIA. Smile
quote:
Originally posted by mpls wine guy:
Summit pale ale.


Summit and Bell's are the only two breweries I drink when I visit MN. Delicious stuff!!
quote:
Originally posted by Brashley:
quote:
Originally posted by mpls wine guy:
Summit pale ale.


Summit and Bell's are the only two breweries I drink when I visit MN. Delicious stuff!!


Yep. Knocked a few of these off on the boat this weekend. Cool
quote:
Originally posted by Trey R:
Saturday during a 15 mile bike ride....Great Divide Hercules DIPA 22oz....fit perfectly in my drink holder.


That's just wrong. Doesn't the beer get too foamy? Wink
Not a single Bud, Bud Light, Miller, Coors, etc... on this thread.

Does no one drink these mass-produced beers, or is everyone just too embarrassed to admit it?
quote:
Originally posted by Rothko:
Not a single Bud, Bud Light, Miller, Coors, etc... on this thread.

Does no one drink these mass-produced beers, or is everyone just too embarrassed to admit it?
Only if it's hot, there's nothing else to drink, someone else bought it, and I want a beer, good or not.
quote:
Originally posted by Rothko:
Not a single Bud, Bud Light, Miller, Coors, etc... on this thread.

Does no one drink these mass-produced beers, or is everyone just too embarrassed to admit it?


If given the choice between Bud, Bud Light or Coors, I'll opt for a glass of water.
quote:
Originally posted by Brashley:
quote:
Originally posted by mpls wine guy:
Summit pale ale.


Summit and Bell's are the only two breweries I drink when I visit MN. Delicious stuff!!
I've never had Bell's, but Schell's and Summit are my two favorite local beers.
quote:
Originally posted by Rothko:
Not a single Bud, Bud Light, Miller, Coors, etc... on this thread.

Does no one drink these mass-produced beers, or is everyone just too embarrassed to admit it?
Bud Light can be found in our fridge; no shame here!
quote:
Originally posted by MJAlbers:
quote:
Originally posted by Rothko:
Not a single Bud, Bud Light, Miller, Coors, etc... on this thread.

Does no one drink these mass-produced beers, or is everyone just too embarrassed to admit it?
Bud Light can be found in our fridge; no shame here!


But do you drink it?

we had a few bottles only for a friend who only drank that stuff. Once he went back north we would toss the stuff out.
No beer here.
Its years ago since I had my last one. It was a Corsendonk Blond. I had to drink it because we stayed at the Corsendonk guesthouse....
quote:
Originally posted by MJAlbers:
quote:
Originally posted by Brashley:
quote:
Originally posted by mpls wine guy:
Summit pale ale.


Summit and Bell's are the only two breweries I drink when I visit MN. Delicious stuff!!
I've never had Bell's, but Schell's and Summit are my two favorite local beers.


Bell's isn't actually local to MN -- they're in Kalamazoo, MI. But, I drink Bell's (and Summit) when I visit MN because neither can be found in CA. Frown
Just had a delicious New Glarus Dancing Man Wheat after an afternoon of yard work. New Glarus, out of Wisconsin, is in my opinion one of the 2 or 3 best domestic breweries out there.
quote:
Originally posted by flop:
quote:
Originally posted by Rothko:
Not a single Bud, Bud Light, Miller, Coors, etc... on this thread.

Does no one drink these mass-produced beers, or is everyone just too embarrassed to admit it?


If given the choice between Bud, Bud Light or Coors, I'll opt for a glass of water.


Exactly.

I almost always have Sierra Nevada in the house. When Safeway have it in I stock up on Bridgeport IPA - bottle conditioned beer is best.

Life member of CAMRA - the Campaign for Real Ale.

Life's too short to drink bad beer, too.
I'm nuts about Short's Huma Lupa Licious, absolutely the most hopped beer I've ever tasted! Bell's Hopslam is a close second, though I always prefer their Two Hearted Ale.

The other beer option I keep around is North Coast Brewing's Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout.

Bitter beer is good beer.
quote:
Originally posted by MiamiWineNovice:
Dogfish Head Punkin (Pumpkin) Ale


If you like this one, track down the Schlafly Pumpkin. It's 8% and out of this world good. Best I've had.

1)Schlafly Pumpkin Ale
2)Dogfish Head Punkin
3)Shipyard Pumpkin Head
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
quote:
Originally posted by Trey R:
Saturday during a 15 mile bike ride....Great Divide Hercules DIPA 22oz....fit perfectly in my drink holder.


That's just wrong. Doesn't the beer get too foamy? Wink


Maybe a little, but at 10.0% and 85 IBUs.....it really didn't matter too much. Big Grin
It was awesome! I have drank a few of these over the years and every Lou Pepe has been great and I don't see it falling off anytime over the next 5-10yrs.


quote:
Originally posted by Brashley:
quote:
Originally posted by vinosnob:
Sat. night at my friends going away party we had a Struis Cuvee Delphine, which is Black Albert(beer cousin of Fat Big Grin)aged in Four Roses Bourbon Brls, '04 Cantillon Lou Pepe Kriek and a 3L of Triple Karmeliet.


2 quick questions:
1. How did you like the Lou Pepe kriek?
2. Have you had the regular Lou Pepe gueuze? I have a bottle waiting for me, but I have yet to pick it up, and have never tried it. TIA. Smile
Really looking forward to tasting Bell's Oracle, their new Double IPA(friend scored me a 6pk from the brewery! Big Grin) I agree with you about the Short's brew, they are really cutting edge. Got a Growler of their Banana's and blow...fun brew!


quote:
Originally posted by chaad:
I'm nuts about Short's Huma Lupa Licious, absolutely the most hopped beer I've ever tasted! Bell's Hopslam is a close second, though I always prefer their Two Hearted Ale.

The other beer option I keep around is North Coast Brewing's Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout.

Bitter beer is good beer.
quote:
Originally posted by Keeno:
Sweetwater 420

Interesting name. Does it contain tetrahydrocannabinol?

Beers I've had recently:

Gritty McDuffs 21 IPA - A really nice citrusy, piney, floral IPA from a Maine microbrewery.

Red Oval Classic Lager - I picked this up at Trader Joe's for $2.99 per 6 in cans. Not bad for what it is and better than the Buds, Millers, & Coors of the world. I don't know if that is saying much though.

Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Ale - This was the last of the 2009 barleywine style ale that Sierra Nevada annually brews. This stuff is so viscous, thick and chewy that I can only drink one at a time. ABV on this is about 10%.
quote:
Originally posted by chaad:
I'm nuts about Short's Huma Lupa Licious, absolutely the most hopped beer I've ever tasted! ... Bitter beer is good beer.


I tried this when I went to Presque Isle, MI last month -- I thought it was pretty good. You should try the Moylan's Hopsickle, and get back to me about that "most hopped beer i've ever tasted" comment. Wink The Hopsickle is the only beer i've ever thought had too much hops. Bitter beer is, indeed, good beer!! Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by Primordealsoup:
Last weekend- Labatt Blue


Shame on you. We have much better than that stuff up here. Razz
Coors Light... oh wait, that would be the "What Bottled Water Are You Drinking" thread. Naw, actually just had one of my standard everyday brews, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I'll be picking up some Stone, Bell's, and maybe some Dogfish Head later this week.
quote:
Originally posted by Altaholic:
quote:
Originally posted by Keeno:
Sweetwater 420

Interesting name. Does it contain tetrahydrocannabinol?



One of the better straight American Pale Ale's you'll find. Brewed out of Atlanta.
quote:
Originally posted by mpls wine guy:
At work the Samuel Adams Octoberfest will put on tap soon so I cant wait to try it.


A pretty decent lager, on the heavier and sweeter side. If you're an ale man, you will not like this.
quote:
Originally posted by Gigond Ass:
Stone Arrogant Bastard Ale.

and no comments on that?
Wink

Have you dined at the restaurant? I have always wanted to just for posterity...

cheers
quote:
Originally posted by Whine-oh:
quote:
Originally posted by Gigond Ass:
Stone Arrogant Bastard Ale.

and no comments on that?
Wink

Have you dined at the restaurant? I have always wanted to just for posterity...

cheers
The few times I've eaten there I wasn't impressed.

Today, watching the Trojans and drinking Guinness Stout.
'twas a busy weekend! Razz

Rodenbach
Rodenbach Grand Cru

Stone IPA
Drake's 1500 Imperial Pale Ale
Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA
Red Hook IPA
Stone Ruination

Stopped by the brewery last week and had lunch and picked up some beer.

Food - I'd say above average for a brewery but just average for the price.
Just picked up a case of Sam's Octoberfest. I love October.

Had a taste of Buffet's Landshark, not sure it had any more meat on it than the Miller Lite that was served next to it....
Everybody seems to go for the heavier, full-flavored beers. Not me. I don't drink much beer, but I go for crisp and thirst-quenching, mostly golden beers.
so much for taste... Razz Popcorn

quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Everybody seems to go for the heavier, full-flavored beers. Not me. I don't drink much beer, but I go for crisp and thirst-quenching, mostly golden beers.
In the last couple weeks:
Tennants Scotish Ale
Hop Devil 2x IPA
Two Brothers Hop Juice
Berghoff Oktoberfest
Kwak Belgium
Goose Island Metilda
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
Fullers London Pride from a fresh cask today at lunch.


I see their brewery everytime I take a taxi in from Heathrow. I've always wanted to stop and see if there is anything that they do special there. Be back in a couple of weeks so might see if that works.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Everybody seems to go for the heavier, full-flavored beers. Not me. I don't drink much beer, but I go for crisp and thirst-quenching, mostly golden beers.


I go through phases, right now being an Oktoberfest kick, and I'd say my favorite widely distributed one is Great Lakes. I grow cascade hops and love me some take-the-enamel-off-your-teeth hoppiness during the summer, and this winter I'll get back to stouts, porters and scotch ales.

But through out the year, I'll often agree completely with Board-O: if I'm drinking beer, give me a well-made pilsner, and the more crisp the better: Paulaner Munich and Pilsner Urquell, Capital Bavarian Lager and New Glarus Edel-Pils (Wisconsin craft breweries) and a Pils from local Bull Falls Brewery.
I was at a Japanese restaurant, so I ordered an Asahi - brewed in Canada by Molson.

And then a Sapporo, which I think was brewed in L.A. by Anheiser.

I think it's the same with Kirin. None of these beers are actually from Japan.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Everybody seems to go for the heavier, full-flavored beers. Not me. I don't drink much beer, but I go for crisp and thirst-quenching, mostly golden beers.


There's a time and place for each. There are days when nothing beats a great (and by definition, somewhat heavy) Weissbier....most notably, over lunch while skiing...
Interesting how this theme evolved over the years.
Just a few Belgian beers mentioned, and only one Trappist...

Quite a few gueuzes here, that seems to be new. Well done.
Meanwhile I still stick to my favorite dark Westmalle.
What's the deal with Yuengling? I think it's very average, but I guess they've done an excellent job of marketing.

The thing that drives me crazy is that since they market themselves as "Yuengling Lager" the dumb average consumer now thinks that a Lager is something special when the majority of mass produced beers are Lagers/Pilsners. Budweiser responded with their "Great American Lager" campaign and I recently saw that Michelob has new packaging with Lager prominantly displayed as the largest word on the box, even bigger than Michelob.

Personally I love just about any style and brand of beer from IPAs to Stouts and Porters and just about everything in between and I definitely enjoy a nice cold Budweiser or Coors Banquet, just keep the light/lite/ultra stuff or anything fruity far away from me.
quote:
Originally posted by MTvino:
What's the deal with Yuengling? I think it's very average, but I guess they've done an excellent job of marketing.



Yuengling is terrible. I've yet to have a good "lager" from the U.S., and the only U.S. Pilsener (technically, also a lager) I've liked is Victory's Prima Pils.
[/QUOTE] Victory's Prima Pils [/QUOTE]

Do you know if that is what K and L has in stock in Hollywood?

I had a Sam's Octoberfest on tap prior to watching the Hapless Dodgers get beat by the almost as-Hapless Padres... At least the beer adn the pizza were good.
quote:
Originally posted by Whine-oh:
quote:
Victory's Prima Pils


Do you know if that is what K and L has in stock in Hollywood?



Indeed, it is. Smile
Delerium Tremens
Bell's Two Hearted IPA
and my new favorite North Coast Pranqster...

These are by no coincidence the best selling of our 50+ beers at our wine/craft beer bar.

Take care,

Elmer
quote:
Originally posted by Brashley:
quote:
Originally posted by Whine-oh:
quote:
Victory's Prima Pils


Do you know if that is what K and L has in stock in Hollywood?



Indeed, it is. Smile


They have some fun stuff. I have enjoyed some of their recommendations.. just what I need, too travel to LA to pick beer too! Wink
Right now though mid-spring is my favorite time for beer. What I will usually drink are the following:

Samuel Smith Imperial Stout
Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout
Samuel Smith Taddy Porter
Fuller's London Porter
Young's Double Chocolate Stout
Young's Oatmeal Stout
Meantime London Porter

As for the domestic route:

Shipyard Blue Fin Stout
Shipyard Imperial Porter
Samuel Adams Imperial Stout
Anchor Steam Porter
Black Butte Porter

There are others as well,

as of now I am enjoying the last bottle of Shipyard Export.
Today I had a Weyerbacher Simcoe Double IPA (fantastic at 5.99 for 22oz bomber) and am currently enjoying a New Belgium Hoptober (their fall seasonal and current fave in the house).

Seems we've been enjoying a little more beer than wine lately...perhaps a byproduct of an economic state of mind.
Dogzilla Black IPA

Sure, it's a contradiction in terms, and is actually neither, but still fills the glass with goodness.

This is my first beer in months that is not a lager/Pilsner. Seasons are changing.
it was a beer centric weekend...(and beer is the new wine)...
*tyranena painted ladies pumpkin
*tyranena hop whore ipa
*tyranena octoberfest
tyranena rockys revenge brown ale partial aged bourbon barrels
new glarus imperial saison
new glarus english porter
dark horse crooked tree ipa
dark horse raspberry ale
3 floyds dreanaught 2ipa
*draft
Sierra Nevada "Torpedo" - their double IPA

Samuel Smiths - Pale Ale

Not Drinking - any of these lime beers or lemonade beers - someone brought these over and they are truly awful. but, on the "bright" side, my 6 year old son thought that the lemonade flavored beer was "yummy". Maybe these are the new wine coolers from my youth (not that I ever liked those, but who knows!!?!?).
Just got a special order delivery from importer Shelton Bros.

My fav = Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel! Aphrodite (Stoudt with real cocoa and vanilla beans), Canada.

My definition of a dessert beer. Cocoa off the charts, richness abounds. 6.5% ABV
quote:
Originally posted by futronic:
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA


Great beer. Had a couple this weekend.


Absolutely - I enjoy most beers from this brewery - the 90 Minute and the India Brown
While in Butte and Missoula - had a few big sky beers and from the Kettlehouse. Nice beers - especially the IPA from the Kettlehouse and another called Cold Smoke. Enjoyed the IPAs while catching big cutthroats on the Bitterroot.......
the 120... Cool Razz

picked up a 4 pack of their pumpkin yesterday too. hells yeah!

quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
quote:
Originally posted by futronic:
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA


Great beer. Had a couple this weekend.


Absolutely - I enjoy most beers from this brewery - the 90 Minute and the India Brown
Went to quiz night with friends at the local pub tonight. Our team finished last again. We are not very deep in British history or pop culture. Fullers ESB made finishing last very enjoyable though. Smile
quote:
Originally posted by mpls wine guy:
I got the last glass of Bell's Oberon on tap at a local pub. They said it would be months before they could get it back on tap again.


that right there makes this your lucky day Big Grin
I just had the Alagash Triple Belgium - Yummy. Looking forward to the Alagash 4 Barrel and the Ommegang "Biere de Mars" which is refermented with brettanomyces.

Waiting for T-Bird to come by for this one...
we had one on saturday but we were knee deep in spanish wines so it sorta got overlooked.. Frown

quote:
Originally posted by Schliecker:
I just had the Alagash Triple Belgium - Yummy. Looking forward to the Alagash 4 Barrel and the Ommegang "Biere de Mars" which is refermented with brettanomyces.

Waiting for T-Bird to come by for this one...
Considering where I live, it has to be a Kona. Tonight, it's their Dry Stout and some barley wine. My head's spinning already just thinking about it Razz
I have not read the entire thread, but have any of you tried Sweetwater's beers. They are from Atlanta, and have four main lines, 420, Georgia Brown, IPA and Blueberry. They are five or so seasonals with names such as Festive Ale, Happy Ending and Wet Dream. I visited their brewery yesterday and was very impressed. They are only in five or six southeastern US states.
I picked up a Leinenkugels sampler pack for my Iowa Hawkeyes game tomorrow against Michigan State. Any left over will be drank with the Vikings Steelers game on sunday.
The other night I drank too much Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA. This has become one of my favourite beers, anywhere.
the 2 growlers are still standing but i am short a bottle of port. Razz Big Grin Cool

of course, we have football AND baseball to go thru today... Popcorn

quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
I wanna see how much wine you drink on top of all that. Razz
quote:
Originally posted by scbeerman:
I have not read the entire thread, but have any of you tried Sweetwater's beers. They are from Atlanta, and have four main lines, 420, Georgia Brown, IPA and Blueberry. They are five or so seasonals with names such as Festive Ale, Happy Ending and Wet Dream. I visited their brewery yesterday and was very impressed. They are only in five or six southeastern US states.


Sweetwater is great beer - my college rugby team used to help bottle at their factory in return for free beer... I buy a lot of sweetwater to reward that kindness.
i drink the 420 when i visit asheville. it's ok.

quote:
Originally posted by thirsty man:
quote:
Originally posted by scbeerman:
I have not read the entire thread, but have any of you tried Sweetwater's beers. They are from Atlanta, and have four main lines, 420, Georgia Brown, IPA and Blueberry. They are five or so seasonals with names such as Festive Ale, Happy Ending and Wet Dream. I visited their brewery yesterday and was very impressed. They are only in five or six southeastern US states.


Sweetwater is great beer - my college rugby team used to help bottle at their factory in return for free beer... I buy a lot of sweetwater to reward that kindness.
this weekend in NYC:

Duvel Green -- incredibly smooth and light for a Belgian ale (only 5.4% abv, I think)

Drie Fonteinen Oude Gueuze -- found 375mL's of this for only $12 at the same bar where I had the Duvel Green. I usually pay about $12 retail - on the rare occasion I can even find it!

Ithaca - "Flower Power" IPA -- super hoppy - great IPA.
Anderson Valley Brewing, Hop Ottin' IPA
Granite City Brewery, Duke of Wellington IPA
Granite City Brewery, Oktoberfest
...and a bunch of Guinness
quote:
Originally posted by Primordealsoup:
quote:
Originally posted by Juicy:
Shiner Bock last night.


Mmmmmmm, Shiner Bock.
do yourself a favor and drink Real Ale. Shiner is probably the worst texas beer. Lone Star beats it.
quote:
Originally posted by NolanE:
quote:
Originally posted by Primordealsoup:
quote:
Originally posted by Juicy:
Shiner Bock last night.


Mmmmmmm, Shiner Bock.
do yourself a favor and drink Real Ale. Shiner is probably the worst texas beer. Lone Star beats it.


Guess you have never had Pearl. Razz

Tonight, more Shiner Bock. Damn things come in six packs.

Black Butte Porter as well.
quote:
Originally posted by NolanE:
Oh man, Pearl.

I really did like the Shiner Kolsch though, shame they stopped making it.


Knew a guy in college that would buy Pearl Light on the premise that he thought no one would want to steal his Pearl Light in the dorm he lived in. Big Grin
last night (draft)...
Anchor Steam Small Beer
Surly Furious
Two Brothers Heavy Handed on cask...

recently
Upland Peach Lambic
Founders KBS
Ale Asylum Hopalicious
Lost Coast Indica India Pale Ale
Darkhorse Crooked Tree IPA

tonite?
Losy Abbey Sinners 09...
Went to the Halloween Party last night at Red Hook Brewery. Had a good time, and this years version of the Winterhook is very good. A nicely roasted barley flavor comes thru.
pumpkin

quote:
Originally posted by Brashley:
quote:
Originally posted by T Dub:
Dog Fish Head Punk


what kind of beer is this?
quote:
Originally posted by TBird:
pumpkin

quote:
Originally posted by Brashley:
quote:
Originally posted by T Dub:
Dog Fish Head Punk


what kind of beer is this?


cool. thanks. i guess this means they're making 2 pumpkin beers? I've also seen Punkin' Ale. Or is this that one?
quote:
Originally posted by big and red:
Had a Stone Arrogant Bastard Ale Thursday night with a burger. It was great. My first expierence with Stone, but not my last.


If you ever make it out to San Diego you need to check out Stone Brewery - it's very cool.
over the weekend:

Drie Fonteinen - Oud Gueuze
Russian River Brewing Co. - Consecration Ale (lambic brewed with currants)
Allagash - Curieux Ale (Ale aged in used Bourbon barrels)
Russian River Brewing Co. - Isabelle Proximus (sour ale -- easily one of the 10 best domestic beers I've ever had).
Duvel Green
Drake's 1500 Ale
Caldera - IPA
Sierra Nevada - Torpedo IPA