Skip to main content

Actually was a little disapointed by the Older Viscosity, was flat (a problem plaguing some Lost Abbey BA beers, though this style doesnt require a lot of carbonation). Also found it a bit thin and one dimensional...Usually I really dig there stuff (especially the Sours)

quote:
Originally posted by Brashley:
quote:
Originally posted by Scubarex:

Port Older Viscosity

how was this? i've been very curious about it, but kinda balk at the high price. how does it compare to the regular Old Viscosity (which I love, btw)?
quote:
Actually was a little disapointed by the Older Viscosity, was flat (a problem plaguing some Lost Abbey BA beers, though this style doesnt require a lot of carbonation). Also found it a bit thin and one dimensional...Usually I really dig there stuff (especially the Sours)

quote:
quote:

Port Older Viscosity

how was this? i've been very curious about it, but kinda balk at the high price. how does it compare to the regular Old Viscosity (which I love, btw)?

thanks, Scuba. Smile
quote:
Originally posted by chaad:
Bell's Hopslam is a close second....
One of my LWSs has this for $17ish per 6 pack. I think that is a crazy price for beer but I did think about buying some. My rationale is that if I go to a baseball or football game I am going to pay a lot more than that on a per ounce basis for bad beer and I know I've paid more in a bar for beer. Is it really worth the cost?
quote:
Originally posted by Altaholic:
quote:
Originally posted by chaad:
Bell's Hopslam is a close second....
One of my LWSs has this for $17ish per 6 pack. I think that is a crazy price for beer but I did think about buying some. My rationale is that if I go to a baseball or football game I am going to pay a lot more than that on a per ounce basis for bad beer and I know I've paid more in a bar for beer. Is it really worth the cost?

It's really friggin' good, but I also balk at the price. It's a Double IPA that they use honey to brew.

If Bell's Two Hearted and Three Floyd's Dread Naught ever had a child, it would be Hopslam.

I think it's worth trying, even at that price.
I popped open a Brooklyn 1 with the old "ring bottle." If you go to the New York Times Website and search for "Trademark Battle Brewed in a Bottle ", you'll get the article.

Anyway, this bottle had been aged for at least a year and a half. Maybe two. Its hard to tell. Anyway, it was fantastic. Lively and aromatic. Creamier than I remember the "fresh bottles" being.

I have two more of these that are the old bottles. I'm going to hold on to them for another year at least to see what happens.

Its kinda fun aging beer! I had never tried it before!
quote:
Originally posted by TBird:
d, beerkraft is now pulling them from the basement with quite the sticker shock for having been "aged", but they have some 04-05's that are VERY interesting...

Something to also think about is that according to a 30 second conversation with Garrett Oliver (brewmaster of Brooklyn Brewery) at a tasting, they're thinking of coming out with a line of Library Releases from their own stock that they've been holding onto. I would love to see that!

I also have an aged Brooklyner-Schneider Hopfen-Weisse that should be an interesting experiment as I don't think of Weisse when considering an aged beer.

BTW - I have to say that I did not age these myself but discovered them on a dusty rack at a beer shop in Upstate New York. I know they have age because of the bottle design.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by dannyk8232:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by NCcollector:
Harpoon IPA

also having this one

as well as:
Boulder Brewing's "Mojo" IPA
Warsteiner
Bell's Amber Ale

and some Budweiser and Yeungling while on the golf course this afternoon

No bacon beer? Cool

it's been awhile ... i'm overdue for one of those Big Grin

One of my buddies went to this and said it was really good!

http://mobile.bostonist.com/20...olate-covered_ba.php
quote:
Originally posted by BRR:
quote:
Originally posted by Bob H:
Bear Republic Brewpub

Is the brewpub a good place? I'm curious becuase I absolutely LOVE the Racer 5 IPA that can frequently be found up here.

My favorite stop in Healdsburg.
Others you may see in the store are Red Rocket, Pete's Tribute Brown Ale,and Hop Rod Rye. All very good.
There were about 20 available at the pub. If you're ever in the neighborhood give me a call. I'll meet you there. Smile
quite the collection since I last posted in this thread:

Bear Republic - “Racer 5" IPA
Pyramid - “Thunderhead” IPA
Port Brewing - “Wipeout” IPA
Anderson Valley Brewing Co. - “Hop Ottin’” IPA
Victory - “Prima” Pils
Lagunitas - Pils
Russian River Brewing - "Pliny the Elder" DIPA
Nectar - IPA
Alesmith - "My Bloody Valentine" American Red
Ale
Jolly Pumpkin - "Bam Biere"
Bockor Cuvee des Jacobins Rouge
New Belgium - "Ranger" IPA
Russian River Brewing - "Supplication" - Brown Ale aged in used Pinot Noir barrels
New Belgium - "Fall Wild Ale"
Stone - "Ruination" DIPA
Widmer - "W-10" Black IPA
Red Hook - "Mud Slinger" Nut Brown Ale
Dogfish Head - "Festina Peche" -- absolutely disgusting.
2008 HaandBryggeriet Oud Bruin "Haandbakk" Wild Ale (Norway, Drammen): holy freakin' crap, this stuff is delicious!!
N.V. Jolly Pumpkin Biere de Garde Biere de Mars (USA, Michigan): the best Jolly Pumpkin i've yet to taste
2006 Drie Fonteinen Oude Lambic "Doesjel" (Belgium, Flanders, Brussels): very nice, but not quite as good as their Oude Gueuze.
N.V. Brasserie a Vapeur Saison "Vapeur en Folie" (Belgium, Wallonie): not as good as the "Cochonne", imo. At least this didn't have the yucky nose of the "Cochonne."
N.V. Brewery Ommegang Biere de Garde Biere de Mars (USA, New York): very nice, not as good as the Jolly Pumpkin.
Lost Abbey - “Avante Garde” Ale: 7% abv.; TN coming
Maui Brewing Company - “Big Swell” IPA
Mikkeller - Belgian IPA: interesting, sweet, not worth the $6 price tag for 11.2 oz.
Duchesse de Bourgogne: was a treat to find this in 750's
Avery - DuganA Imperial IPA: better than “Majaraja”
quote:

I grabbed a sixer of this a couple weeks back because Widmer makes some great smaller-production stuff like this. What did you think? I wasn't overly impressed - it seemed like an experiement that resulted in a beer that didn't really have a place. Not good, not bad.
Sierra Nevada "Hoptimum"- a buddy of mine went to beer camp at Sierra Nevada and they concocted this 10.6% alc super- hoppy brew. It is unbelievable- you don't notice the alcohol at all (until you finish a glass). In any case, they only produced about 5-10 kegs...the owner took a few to his vacation house, my buddy has a few ponies and the rest sold out at the brewery in a week.
quote:
Originally posted by BRR:
quote:

I grabbed a sixer of this a couple weeks back because Widmer makes some great smaller-production stuff like this. What did you think? I wasn't overly impressed - it seemed like an experiement that resulted in a beer that didn't really have a place. Not good, not bad.

I liked it, but I'm also a huge fan of porters, the style I thought this was closest to (maybe a hoppy porter, of sorts). Probably won't buy it again, though.
Stone - Oaked Arrogant Bastard (CA)
2008 HaandBryggeriet Oud Bruin "Haandbakk" Wild Ale (Norway, Drammen)
Lagunitas - “Hop Stoopid” Imperial IPA (CA)
The Bruery - Orchard White (CA)
New Belgium - “Le Fleur Misseur” (CO)
Sierra Nevada - 30th Anniversary Stout (CA)
St. Louis - Gueuze Fond Tradition (Belgium)
Stone - Smoked Porter (CA)
Speakeasy - “Big Daddy” IPA (CA)
St. Feuillien - Saison (Belgium)
Samuel Smith - “Taddy” Porter (England)
Victory - “Hop Devil” IPA (PA)
Bear Republic - “Racer 5" IPA (CA)
Anderson Valley - “Boont” Amber Ale (CA)
Alesmith - IPA (CA)
lol probably the same but i've never ventured into the peche world... i've had aprihop on tap and it's obviously fresher than bottled but i've never really been a fan of fruit in my beer! that said, i made a apricot/brown sugar glaze (for ham) out of the beer and it was perfect for that!

quote:
how does this compare to Dogfish’ “Festina Peche”? My experience with the Festina Peche was so horrible I’ve been avoiding the “Aprihop”, despite the fact that it tugs at my curiosity.
i don't think i've ever measured anything on this planet!

it was a two pound couple of inches thick bone in "slice" and i used 2 beers, a big ass jar of local apricot preserves and 1/2 box of brown sugar. i don't have a big sweet tooth so i could easily be accused of going light in the sugar department!

i'd say "adjust to your taste"! Smile

quote:
that sounds delicious! how much sugar to how much beer?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.