Skip to main content

A few Italian beers at Eataly (Chicago):

baladin Nora (spiced with citrus, ginger, and myrrh- delicious...like a Blue Moon that is actually good)

baladin Super (caramel, malty, heavy- half glass was enough for me)

Birra Del Borgo ReAle Extra (classic IPA flavors, very enjoyable. Bought a humongous bottle for a party tonight)

Overall I really liked Eataly- if you don't mind dropping some coin it's a great visit. The meat and cheese selections were impressive, and I enjoyed margherita pizza and braised short rib pasta from La Pizza & La Pasta.
quote:
Originally posted by Bigfoot003:
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:
quote:
New Glarus Stone Soup

Very nice! The wife's in Wisconsin right now, so I have some Spotted Cow on the way. Big Grin

Now that's a good woman! The Stone Soup is a nice winteresque-ale worth checking a second bag...

Big, you and I have a different idea of a good woman. Razz Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
quote:
quote:
New Glarus Stone Soup

Very nice! The wife's in Wisconsin right now, so I have some Spotted Cow on the way. Big Grin

Now that's a good woman! The Stone Soup is a nice winteresque-ale worth checking a second bag...

I say we debate this very divisive issue over a beverage sometime. I need education on bubbles. The 96 Duval-Leroy was eye-opening and perhaps the best I've experienced. Rumor has it you might have some passion around these wines. Wink I work too much and have far too little pleasure while in Dallas. I think I've got a solid position. Any woman that will boot-leg good, check that, great beer for you? That's a good start. Many other qualifications need to be evaluated, naturally... LOL
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
quote:
quote:
New Glarus Stone Soup

In addition to the Spotted Cow, she's also bringing back a '95 La Mish & (2) '08 Dunn HM's. I'd say she's a pretty damn good woman. Cool
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Sparty:
Goose Island Lolita. It didn't do too much for me...perhaps it isn't my style.

Didn't like this at all. Aged on raspberries in wine barrels. Yuck.

Glad I saw this before I tried one!

I think I may have preferred the Lolita to the Juliet, but I think they both fit tlv's description. I've got one more of that style to go (I believe it's Gillian). Needless to say, I will stick with Matilda, Sofie, Pere Jacques, etc. from now on.
quote:

I think I may have preferred the Lolita to the Juliet, but I think they both fit tlv's description. I've got one more of that style to go (I believe it's Gillian).

The Juliet is aged with blackberries and is considered a Belgian Style Wild Ale along with the Lolita. The Gillian is a Belgian Style Farmhouse Ale and is not supposed to be as fruit driven. I haven't had the Gillian yet, but it sounds interesting at least. I'm not a fan of fruit in my beer in general.
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
quote:

I think I may have preferred the Lolita to the Juliet, but I think they both fit tlv's description. I've got one more of that style to go (I believe it's Gillian).

The Juliet is aged with blackberries and is considered a Belgian Style Wild Ale along with the Lolita. The Gillian is a Belgian Style Farmhouse Ale and is not supposed to be as fruit driven. I haven't had the Gillian yet, but it sounds interesting at least. I'm not a fan of fruit in my beer in general.

Thanks for the info...I always did prefer raspberries to blackberries.

I'll be sure to let you all know when I finally get to the Gillian.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by EB Wine:
FFF Zombie Dust and Gumballhead

I love Zombie Dust. Have some at home now and had one on tap at Kuma's on Monday. And Gumballhead has been a favorite for years.

Is it me or is production increasing? I'm seeing more and more of this stuff on store shelves, though Zombie Dust is still pretty rare. Whole Foods Lincoln Park had about 14 cases of Gumballhead ~2-3 weeks ago...had never seen anything like it outside of the brewery.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by CSM:
Had some 3 Floyds Zombie's Dust at Kuma's Corner yesterday. First experience with this one but it was awesome.

Back to Kuma's!? Can't blame you...great spot.

Ready for your thrashing from the Blackhawks?? Big Grin Wink

Should have been 5-0 Hawks by the end of the first. No idea how we pulled that out! Hearing the anthem there literally is something I won't ever forget. Simply unreal.
quote:
quote:
quote:
Had some 3 Floyds Zombie's Dust at Kuma's Corner yesterday. First experience with this one but it was awesome.

Back to Kuma's!? Can't blame you...great spot.

Ready for your thrashing from the Blackhawks?? Big Grin Wink

Should have been 5-0 Hawks by the end of the first. No idea how we pulled that out! Hearing the anthem there literally is something I won't ever forget. Simply unreal.

Nice win by a resilient team.

The anthem is a great tradition- my favorite in Chicago.
quote:
Originally posted by max:
quote:
Originally posted by T Dub:
DIPA Showdown last night

Pliny
Lagunitas Sucks
HopSlam

Finished off with some Goose Island 312
T Dub, which turned out to be your favorite?

Did a second round during the superbowl and added Stone Enjoy By 2.14.14

They are all unique in their expressions but for me there was/is just no beating the balance and freshness of Pliny

Hopslam is to me a different animal as it is more intense with huge notes of grapefruit and not as clean of a finish.

The Stone Enjoy By really suprised me. I've not had this until yesterday and really enjoyed the bitter hopiness of it. It was not as disjointed as the Stone Ruination in my opinion which I enjoy but it a bit over the top for me.

Lagunitas Sucks brings up the rear out of those four. Nice beer but nothing really stood out about it compared to the other DIPA's

One note the Pliny, Hopslam, and Lagunitas Sucks were all from bottle.

Stone Enjoy By was from a freshly filled growler.
quote:
Originally posted by DirtySouth:
IPA Tasting tonight about to kick off in 30 mins:

Bells HopSlam
NoDa Brewing Hop Drop n Roll
Southern Tier 2XIPA
Foothills Jade IPA
Ballast Point Scuplin
Green Flash Green Bullet
Lagunitas Sucks
Brew Kettle White Rajah

I am certain another one or two will show up from the other 2 guys coming over.

What was the outcome? What were the favorites?
quote:

Bells HopSlam
Southern Tier 2XIPA
Foothills Jade IPA
Ballast Point Scuplin
Green Flash Green Bullet
Lagunitas Sucks
Brew Kettle White Rajah

I'm a fan of Green Flash- how did the Green Bullet compare?
Great Lakes Brewing yearly Porter launch.

Harry Porter & the Bourbon Soaked Vanilla Bean (on cask)

None Cask:
Cherry Porter
Vanilla Porter
Bourbon Porter
Coffee Porter

As they were all one off kegs they were a little over the top (the non-cask ones) though thankfully quite dry. The cask Harry Porter will be bottled with 10k sold. It was quite good, dry with sweetish back-end, not over bourboned or vanillaed, subtle (ish) and pleasantly bitter.

Also had a Hopback APORKALYPSE NOW Oatmeal Bacon Stout. Heavy and creamy mouthfeel from the oatmeal, bacon comes through as mostly a smoky element.
quote:
Originally posted by T Dub:
quote:

Bells HopSlam
Southern Tier 2XIPA
Foothills Jade IPA
Ballast Point Scuplin
Green Flash Green Bullet
Lagunitas Sucks
Brew Kettle White Rajah

What was the outcome? What were the favorites?

Could possibly be that we had 3 North Carolina judges out of 5 total judges, but the NC offerings won.

The final tally's looked something like this, although the fine details really are faded (top 3 are definitely in order).

Foothills Jade (#1 by 4 of 5 judges)
NoDa Hop Drop n Roll (#1 by other judge, and # 2 by 3 of the 5)
HopSlam
Sculpin
Westbrook IPA
White Rajah
Sucks
Three Floods Alpha King (although not an IPA)
Stone IPA
Southern Tier 2XIPA
FullSteam Hula Hoop RyePale Ale (another NC IPA, but unanimously, it brought up dead last)

May have missed one or two, but I captured most.

This was fun and we will be doing it again after a significant glassware purchase in the near future. It was surprising, because I think all of us wanted Hopslam to win after all falling in love with it last year. I was really anticipating Sucks to do better being that I have been drinking that steadily over the past month.

Last Green Flash did not get opened as somehow it got mixed up with a bunch of stouts over on the other side of the fridge.

Probably doing stouts here next month.

Already have:

Westbrook Mexican Cake
Westbrook Orange Bliss
Founders Breakfast Stout
Founders KBS (last years)
Bell's Expedition Stout
Thirsty Dog Siberian Night
Goose Island BCS
Oskar Blues Ten Fidy

Any others I need to get my hands on for this???

I drank my last 2 Terrapin W-n-B last week, but could find more. Very similar to FBS though.
Been drinking mostly MI beers while on vacation up in Boyne:
Dark Horse Brewing Crooked Tree IPA - pretty nice, although I think it's a bit less interesting or hoppy than I'd like
Short's Chatterbox - liked it when I first had it at lunch with a burger, but had another bottle last night and was less impressed
Bell's Smitten Golden Rye Ale - found this to be easy drinking, but nothing spectacular
New Holland Monkey King - only got a sip of this, but am intrigued to try more. Too bad I never saw it before being up here, or at least never noticed it.
Oddside Ales Hop Gobbler - never heard of this brewery before out of Grand Haven, but I enjoyed this beer.
Saugatuck Brewing Company Pathfinder - this was OK.
Also had a couple from Greenbush Brewing Company at dinner a couple nights ago - I think it was the Mammoth, which is their Winter Weizenbock. I liked it enough to have 2.

I also picked up a couple six-packs of Bell's Hopslam, since I missed the boat on release in Chicago and haven't seen it anywhere else. I definitely overpaid for it, but oh well.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.