That Gunner's Daughter is pretty good!

quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
7th Settlement, 1623 Almighty Brown
True West, Ruckus IPA
True West, Brown Bess
Mast Landing, Gunner's Daughter Milk Stout
Knee Deep, Simtra Triple IPA Eek (11.3% ABV & 131 IBU)
That Simtra is nice too, and the ABV is really well hidden. The closest triple IPA I've had to PTY.
CBS and BCBS are all over the place around here, on tap and bottles. Production and distribution seems to have really increased since Anheuser took over.
quote:
Originally posted by haggis:
2001 Sierra Nevada Bigfoot barley wine

effing amazing. Thanks to my brother who hordes this stuff. Tomorrow, we'll be drinking a 2001-2005 vertical.
I'm sitting on a vertical of this as well from 2008 till present. Would love to find someone with some earlier vintages to pair mine up with.
quote:
Originally posted by max:
quote:
2001 Sierra Nevada Bigfoot barley wine

effing amazing. Thanks to my brother who hordes this stuff. Tomorrow, we'll be drinking a 2001-2005 vertical.
I'm sitting on a vertical of this as well from 2008 till present. Would love to find someone with some earlier vintages to pair mine up with.

Too bad you are not closer! I'd love to do that, too. Except that these puppies are so rich I don't know how many I could manage in one sitting!

That said, I ended up having the 2001 and 2005 yesterday. The 2005 was distinctly hoppier than the 2001; the latter was smoother and more balanced. Both were great.

The 1994 Sam Adams that I mentioned above are also incredible. Rich, thick, and almost port-like in some respects.
I want to explore the world of aging beer.

Most beers have a limited shelf life as posted on their label. Some are meant to be aged to soften things and bring originally subdued flavour more to shine.

Anyone with some experience out there?
quote:
1994 Sam Adams triple bock

Yum! I bought a cases of that the year it came out and drank the last bottle about 10-years later and it was still damn good.
quote:
Originally posted by VINELOUSE:

Most beers have a limited shelf life as posted on their label. Some are meant to be aged to soften things and bring originally subdued flavour more to shine.

As would be expected the high gravity beers tend to have the best staying power. The Sam Adams extreme beers like the Triple Bock and the Utopias can go 10-years with ease. I've had Thomas Hardy Ale that was 5-years old and held up very well and Ola Dubh has good aging potential.
quote:
Originally posted by mdsphoto:
quote:
1994 Sam Adams triple bock

Yum! I bought a cases of that the year it came out and drank the last bottle about 10-years later and it was still damn good.

It is still damn good!
La Trappe Quadrupel
Jopen Doubting Thomas
Jopen/Heavy Seas Tropical Freedom Fruity Spelt IPA
Lindeman's Framboise
Westmalle Tripel Trappist Ale
quote:
Originally posted by VINELOUSE:

I've noticed some flavorings like vanilla beans, coffee, maple syrup, spices, fade over time often to the point of non-existence, so I don't age those anymore. I've had great results with regular BA stouts and barleywines and strong ales. I've also aged DFH 120 for a super malty, less hoppy experience.
I've still got some 2010 Deschutes Once a Decade Jubelale that is still great. The Abyss also ages well. Some of the Rogue Imperials have also aged well.
Boneyard Enzymatic IPA
Skookum Snake Jump IPA
Stone Ruin Ten Triple IPA w/ Orange Peel and Vanilla Bean (great, if you like the taste of bitter orange peel)
Ruben's Brews Roasted Rye IPA

I kinda like IPA's.
Sunday I opened a 2012 Goose Island Pere Jacques from a 650ml bottle that I've had in the cellar since purchase. Poured some for my son without telling him what it was and he was blown away. I sure do miss these...
Guys night out last night:

Kentucky bourbon barrel ale
Schofferhofer grapefruit
Firestone nitro stout
Lagunitas Brown Shugga
Melvin Brewing Experimental J-Hole IPA Red
Skookum Brewery Dewy Clouds IPA
Firestone-Walker Brewing Leo V. Ursus: Wookus Imperial/Double Black
More Dogfish Liquid Truth Serum. This is a really good and balanced IPA with great hop character. Not over the top. Recently released in bottle, it's just as good as the draft. Has become my "go-to" at my local.

PH
Monkish Beats is Infinite
Tree House Haze and Bright w/ Citra
Austin Street Neverender

Monkish was just a really well balance, delicious beer. The Neverender was a straight juice bomb, and I loved it. Tree House Haze also delicious- showed more hop character than the others.
quote:
Originally posted by ThistlinTom:
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
Moab Brewery Dead Horse Amber Ale
Moab Brewery Squeaky Bike Nut Brown Ale

How were they?

They are both very good.
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Rochefort 8

Yum

Indeed. One of my top 5 for sure.
2nd Shift Brewligans IPA
Omnipollo Shoutao Peach Slush IPA
Mother's Brewing Sunshine Chugsuckle IPA

All very good IPA's.
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
Huda

The local beer in Hué, Vietnam. Hits the spot for 75 cents per can.

And likely safer than drinking water. Win/win!
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
Huda

The local beer in Hué, Vietnam. Hits the spot for 75 cents per can.

And likely safer than drinking water. Win/win!

... and no ice cubes required as well.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.