That Simtra is nice too, and the ABV is really well hidden. The closest triple IPA I've had to PTY.
CBS and BCBS are all over the place around here, on tap and bottles. Production and distribution seems to have really increased since Anheuser took over.
quote:
Originally posted by haggis:
2001 Sierra Nevada Bigfoot barley wine

effing amazing. Thanks to my brother who hordes this stuff. Tomorrow, we'll be drinking a 2001-2005 vertical.
I'm sitting on a vertical of this as well from 2008 till present. Would love to find someone with some earlier vintages to pair mine up with.
quote:
Originally posted by max:
quote:
2001 Sierra Nevada Bigfoot barley wine

effing amazing. Thanks to my brother who hordes this stuff. Tomorrow, we'll be drinking a 2001-2005 vertical.
I'm sitting on a vertical of this as well from 2008 till present. Would love to find someone with some earlier vintages to pair mine up with.

Too bad you are not closer! I'd love to do that, too. Except that these puppies are so rich I don't know how many I could manage in one sitting!

That said, I ended up having the 2001 and 2005 yesterday. The 2005 was distinctly hoppier than the 2001; the latter was smoother and more balanced. Both were great.

The 1994 Sam Adams that I mentioned above are also incredible. Rich, thick, and almost port-like in some respects.
quote:
Originally posted by VINELOUSE:
I want to explore the world of aging beer.

Most beers have a limited shelf life as posted on their label. Some are meant to be aged to soften things and bring originally subdued flavour more to shine.

Anyone with some experience out there?

As would be expected the high gravity beers tend to have the best staying power. The Sam Adams extreme beers like the Triple Bock and the Utopias can go 10-years with ease. I've had Thomas Hardy Ale that was 5-years old and held up very well and Ola Dubh has good aging potential.
quote:
Originally posted by mdsphoto:
quote:
1994 Sam Adams triple bock

Yum! I bought a cases of that the year it came out and drank the last bottle about 10-years later and it was still damn good.

It is still damn good!
quote:
Originally posted by VINELOUSE:
I want to explore the world of aging beer.
Most beers have a limited shelf life as posted on their label. Some are meant to be aged to soften things and bring originally subdued flavour more to shine.
Anyone with some experience out there?

I've noticed some flavorings like vanilla beans, coffee, maple syrup, spices, fade over time often to the point of non-existence, so I don't age those anymore. I've had great results with regular BA stouts and barleywines and strong ales. I've also aged DFH 120 for a super malty, less hoppy experience.
Monkish Beats is Infinite
Tree House Haze and Bright w/ Citra
Austin Street Neverender

Monkish was just a really well balance, delicious beer. The Neverender was a straight juice bomb, and I loved it. Tree House Haze also delicious- showed more hop character than the others.

Add Reply

Likes (0)