Avery Brewing - Uncle Jacob’s Stout, batch #5 (Feb 2016)
Avery Brewing - Uncle Jacob’s Stout, batch #6 (Feb 2017)
Goose Island - Bourbon County Barrel Stout (2017)

Haven’t had the Avery stouts before, and was pleasantly surprised. The 2016 was a monster - over 17%! - but it hid it well, and showed as a very lively and expressive beer. The 2017 was almost as good, and I was surprised how flat and bland the bcbs tasted in comparison!

From the few bba beers that I’ve aged so far, the change seems to be very different from wine, as it seems that what tastes like acidity increases?
quote:
Originally posted by max:
Shared by Side Project Base Weight Robust Porter
2017 Goose Island Bourbon County Stout

Max, what did you think of the BCS?

There seems to be a lot of it available in my neck of the woods. I got one bottle last year. This year, I see it all over the place with no bottle limit.
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:
quote:
Originally posted by max:
Shared by Side Project Base Weight Robust Porter
2017 Goose Island Bourbon County Stout

Max, what did you think of the BCS?

There seems to be a lot of it available in my neck of the woods. I got one bottle last year. This year, I see it all over the place with no bottle limit.
I'm starting to find my tastes shift a bit away from the heavy, full bodied, thick stouts that seem to be on the extreme sweet boozy side. If you prefer this style, you are in for a treat. The 2017 seemed to be more out of balance; on the boozy side, than the 2015 or 2016. My wife took a sip and said, "This taste like Molasses". I will admit that I do like a bit of coffee in my stouts, but overall, I'm starting to prefer the more traditional, leaner style of stout making. I guess this is why I've been on a Porter kick of late.

Add Reply

Likes (0)