ommegang fleur do houblong - fantastic smooth summer beef with a good amount of florally hops.
southern tier porter- good stuff
one of the la chouffe' brewers
abite lemon harvest - this is terrible
dogfish festina pe'che - interesting but eh cant drinking a pint of it
ballast point fathom ipl - bit too hoppy for a indian pale ale.
Lots of beer over the weekend with my brother in town:
3 Floyds Rabid Rabbit
18th Street Deal with the Devil (this is a really nice beer)
Right Brain CEO Stout (not my style...too bitter)
Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Stout
Goose Island Bourbon County Stout (had it blind against the CW, and it was the clear winner, but CW is still very nice)
LoverBeer BeerBrugna
Pipeworks Crimson Snapper
Pipeworks Spotted Puffer
Pipeworks Square Grouper (did the 3 PW fish beers blind, and this was the best...but also the freshest, so that could be why it was favored)
Founders KBS
Lagunitas High West-ified Imperial Coffee Stout
Weyerbacher Sunday Morning Stout (did this blind vs. KBS & Lagunitas...KBS was favored by most, but I found it close between KBS and this)
Pipeworks Mosaic
Bell's Expedition Stout
quote:
Originally posted by Jabe11:
Port brewing, shark attack, double red ale.

I say upon moving back to the states after 10+ years abroad I was eager to dive into the craft beer revolution. There are many well crafted beers, but I have found restaurant lists and lines dominated by over hopped ales, a couple of funky stouts, a weak blonde or pils here and there, and some Belgian stalwarts. Besides these and a couple of Sours which I have yet to develop a pallet for, the market is surprisingly one dimensional. Are my initial impressions wrong? Of course I still have yet to have a Pliny the elder.

You just described 99% of beer lists in San Diego. It reflects local tastes and what sells.
quote:
Originally posted by spo:
quote:

I say upon moving back to the states after 10+ years abroad I was eager to dive into the craft beer revolution. There are many well crafted beers, but I have found restaurant lists and lines dominated by over hopped ales, a couple of funky stouts, a weak blonde or pils here and there, and some Belgian stalwarts. Besides these and a couple of Sours which I have yet to develop a pallet for, the market is surprisingly one dimensional. Are my initial impressions wrong? Of course I still have yet to have a Pliny the elder.

You just described 99% of beer lists in San Diego. It reflects local tastes and what sells.

99% of North American craft beer period... Frown 97.5% of the 99% is massively over-hopped IPA or SPA or double IPA...
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
quote:
Originally posted by spo:
quote:

99% of North American craft beer period... Frown 97.5% of the 99% is massively over-hopped IPA or SPA or double IPA...

You just read my mind. I opened three different craft ales in the past week - two from Southern Ontario, one from the US - and "massively over-hopped" was exactly what I thought. I couldn't drink them.
Simpler Times Lager - my protest against over-hopped IPA. No nose to speak of, but a crisp, slightly grassy palate with a bit of creamy malt. Pretty straight forward, I know, but it's a good summer thirst-quencher, and the best part: it was $4.50 for a six-pack.
Such good beers and practically polar opposites . The Damnation 23 oak aged version is stellar.
I had a BCBCS tonight. It like the comments of the over hopped IPAs (which I love) on this thread. It tastes good but BCBCS is muddy syrup overdone tar goop to me.
quote:
Originally posted by futronic:
What's this thing called "beer" you guys speak of?

It is the liquid you drink when you are trapped in a hotel bar in Cincinnati. Or rather Covington, Kentucky, because the hotel (like the airport) is located on the wrong side of the Ohio River, which puts it in Kentucky instead of Ohio. Or something. I'll have another beer, please.
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
quote:

It is the liquid you drink when you are trapped in a hotel bar in Cincinnati. Or rather Covington, Kentucky, because the hotel (like the airport) is located on the wrong side of the Ohio River, which puts it in Kentucky instead of Ohio. Or something. I'll have another beer, please.

The bridges offer the opportunity of a brisk walk, and at least there is a Hofbrau Haus to drink at...
quote:
quote:

Wouldn't it be better to have a bourbon in that case?
quote:
Originally posted by vinoevelo:
quote:

It's mangiacake for "peroni". Come over and I can show you some.

Only if the BGE has some pork shoulder or ribs on it. Then we can shift to wine and sherry.
quote:
quote:

Having been in that same situation in that same hotel bar, that beer is an excellent way to pass the time!

Add Reply

Likes (0)