What are you standing?

Pete, I've never had any of the wines you mentioned but with the exception of the Sauternes, those other wines shouldn't be touched for quite a while. Especially the Pavie. I've had much lower level Bordeaux from those vintages, and only the simpler ones from 2004 are drinking decently. You sure you want to open those?

Damn, I sound like Board-O! He would likely make a much stronger case than me though, with experience of that caliber of juice. Wink
I was thinking the same but want to crack something special for her b-day. If not, I have some older sine qua non eba's I could dip into, just not the same.

Would like to hear others suggestions and see if concensus is to not open them. I am listening with open ears.

Peter
Ditto Bill. Ditto PH.

When you mean "just not the same" I'd translate that to mean, "they'll be better."

Those young Bdx wines will be tannic bruisers, nowhere near ready to open. The SQN juice you have should drink MUCH better and be a more pleasant way to spend your bride's birthday.

If you don't want to dip into those either, Champagne is always in style.
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
Ditto Bill. Ditto PH.

When you mean "just not the same" I'd translate that to mean, "they'll be better."

Those young Bdx wines will be tannic bruisers, nowhere near ready to open. The SQN juice you have should drink MUCH better and be a more pleasant way to spend your bride's birthday.

If you don't want to dip into those either, Champagne is always in style.
I agree with these guys as well. I don't even think a ton of decanting will help these wines open to even close to what you want. I'd go with the sqn's.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
10 rather than 5 would be my recommendation.


Yup.

Where are you located Drpete12? If you had your heart set on opening good Bordeaux for your wife's birthday I still think you could pull off a trade. You certainly have good trade bait.

PH
quote:
Originally posted by vinoevelo:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mangiare:
1990 Rauzan Segla
1990 Ornellaia


quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
1989 Leoville Barton
1997 Suduiraut[/QUOTE

wow. very nice gents.


Very nice lineup! I'm interested in how the 97 Suduiraut shows.
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
quote:
Originally posted by vinoevelo:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mangiare:
1990 Rauzan Segla
1990 Ornellaia


quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
1989 Leoville Barton
1997 Suduiraut[/QUOTE

wow. very nice gents.


Very nice lineup! I'm interested in how the 97 Suduiraut shows.


Ditto. Also would be interested in why you stood up a Sauternes.....

PH
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:

Ditto. Also would be interested in why you stood up a Sauternes.....

PH


Good question! Certainly not to settle sediment, as there is none in the bottle. I just kinda pulled it from the back of the cellar and stood it next the LB to grab and go for dinner. I'm not doing harm by standing it for a few days, am I?
quote:
Originally posted by Longboarder:
1990 A. Conterno Vigna Cicala (Magnum) for a truffle dinner in early December. Had this from a 750 recently and it was stellar.
Barolo and truffle is my all time favorite food and wine pairing. Have fun and please post notes!
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
No harm at all.

PH


i stand it so i get that nasty petrol up on the top and hopefully it blows off when i pop the cork!


Petrol in Sauternes?

PH


yea definitely the older ones especially get that petrol stink that I don't enjoy

it smells like too much sulfur was dumped in the wine
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
No harm at all.

PH


i stand it so i get that nasty petrol up on the top and hopefully it blows off when i pop the cork!


Petrol in Sauternes?

PH


yea definitely the older ones especially get that petrol stink that I don't enjoy

it smells like too much sulfur was dumped in the wine


That's a new one for me. I've picked up molasses, burnt sugar, spice, from the darker ones; light, diminished fruit from the lighter ones, and caramel, fruit, spice... from those in between - but never petrol from an older Sauternes.
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
No harm at all.

PH


i stand it so i get that nasty petrol up on the top and hopefully it blows off when i pop the cork!


Petrol in Sauternes?

PH


yea definitely the older ones especially get that petrol stink that I don't enjoy

it smells like too much sulfur was dumped in the wine


That's a new one for me. I've picked up molasses, burnt sugar, spice, from the darker ones; light, diminished fruit from the lighter ones, and caramel, fruit, spice... from those in between - but never petrol from an older Sauternes.


i certainly may be drinking the wrong ones. oldest one i've had was a chateau de malle from 58. It was ... interesting.

Add Reply

Likes (0)
×
×
×
×