quote:
Originally posted by Fowler52:
On deck for tomorrow. Celebrating my parents 40th

1998 Chateau Clos de Sapre

2008 Petra Quercegobbe

1977 Niepoort Port * Thanks DoktaP

That DoktaP is a reasonably good human being. I think the best "win-win" wine trade I've ever made was with the good Dok.

Happy anniversary to your folks. Hope you have some smelly cheese. Razz

Oh... and cheesecloth. Seriously. You will extract enough extra juice to make it worth the effort. Thanks for this tip, years ago, g-man.

PH
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by Fowler52:
On deck for tomorrow. Celebrating my parents 40th

1998 Chateau Clos de Sapre

2008 Petra Quercegobbe

1977 Niepoort Port * Thanks DoktaP

That DoktaP is a reasonably good human being. I think the best "win-win" wine trade I've ever made was with the good Dok.

Happy anniversary to your folks. Hope you have some smelly cheese. Razz

Oh... and cheesecloth. Seriously. You will extract enough extra juice to make it worth the effort. Thanks for this tip, years ago, g-man.

PH

I think g-man's off the cheesecloth and using coffee filters now!
Pulled and patiently waiting their turn for various upcoming events:

1987 Heitz Cellar Cabernet Sauvignon
1996 Louis Brochet Champagne Cuvée HBH
1994 R. López de Heredia Rioja Gran Reserva Viña Tondonia
1999 Fattoria di Fèlsina Berardenga Fontalloro
1998 Faiveley Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Les Cazetiers
2000 Château Les Carmes Haut-Brion
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
Going to Bastille Day dinner at our local bistro tonight with friends, and taking

- 2007 Albert Mann Gewürztraminer Furstentum VV

- 1998 Haut Brion

- 2004 Cristia Chateauneuf Renaissance

Plus a Champagne TBD at our home to start the evening.

The 1998 is a brilliant HB based on my experiences.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
Going to Bastille Day dinner at our local bistro tonight with friends, and taking

- 2007 Albert Mann Gewürztraminer Furstentum VV

- 1998 Haut Brion

- 2004 Cristia Chateauneuf Renaissance

Plus a Champagne TBD at our home to start the evening.

The 1998 is a brilliant HB based on my experiences.

Hope it shows well for you, and I look forward to your thoughts on the HB. I have one on deck for next month.
My last 1961 Brane Cantenac, with fingers crossed. It looks like hell - lowish shoulder ullage and signs of seepage. The penultimate bottle, consumed with DoktaP and mangiare, was more educational than anything else so I'm hoping this one at least still has a pulse. But then again, these cost me $30 each at auction a few years ago so I guess I can't complain.
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
My last 1961 Brane Cantenac, with fingers crossed. It looks like hell - lowish shoulder ullage and signs of seepage. The penultimate bottle, consumed with DoktaP and mangiare, was more educational than anything else so I'm hoping this one at least still has a pulse. But then again, these cost me $30 each at auction a few years ago so I guess I can't complain.

Don't give up. Years ago Brane Cantenac made a library release. I bought some back to 1935 and have never had a bad one. The 1961 was terrific. Of course I bought mine when the winery made the library release.
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
From the examples I've tried in the past 3-5 years including from mag, it seems to be in the tail end of peak drinking with a few examples having minimal fruit and freshness.

Provenance is key. I bought mine at release.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
From the examples I've tried in the past 3-5 years including from mag, it seems to be in the tail end of peak drinking with a few examples having minimal fruit and freshness.

when was the last time you tried one?
quote:
quote:
quote:

Had my last one a couple of years ago.
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Exactly. Had one a couple years ago and it was spectacular. Had one (actually small tastes from two separate bottles) last week and while still very very good it is not what it was a couple years ago. The 94 on the other hand was amazing
quote:
Originally posted by bomba503:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Exactly. Had one a couple years ago and it was spectacular. Had one (actually small tastes from two separate bottles) last week and while still very very good it is not what it was a couple years ago. The 94 on the other hand was amazing

My last bottle - a couple of months ago - was drinkable, but not the best showing. Prior bottles back in late 2016 / early 2017 were fantastic, though. I have three left and I think I should drink 'em soon.

Perhaps a '92 Dominus dinner is in order.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
quote:
I'm out of '92s but might be able to bookend with '91 and '94

This fall. Perhaps later in September?

September, that is awful close to winter for you boys! Razz

Winter is coming. (We start saying that sometime around the beginning of July.)
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
I'm out of '92s but might be able to bookend with '91 and '94

This fall. Perhaps later in September?

September, that is awful close to winter for you boys! Razz

Winter is coming. (We start saying that sometime around the beginning of July.)

Ha, touché. Think about our dear friends in Montreal. They may well be already saying this.

In Dallas, we say fall in coming ( hopefully) in September. In Santa Fe, we do truly have four seasons. By September, dining al fresco in the evening will require a sweater at least for the ladies. It was 53 this morning for our espresso and pastry in Santa Fe.
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
Temperature here in Ottawa forecast to be in the high 80s on Monday. No thoughts of winter for a while yet!

Same here. High of 80 F tomorrow and Monday, then back to mid-70s for the following 2 weeks.

w+a, our overnight low tonight is 66 F.

If recent years are any indication, it's debatable whether or not we'll see snow before the new year. As you noted, Ottawa and Montreal are other stories. Same with Buffalo, only an hour south.

Torontonians like to complain about our winters, but we really do get off easy.
quote:
quote:
Temperature here in Ottawa forecast to be in the high 80s on Monday. No thoughts of winter for a while yet!

Same here. High of 80 F tomorrow and Monday, then back to mid-70s for the following 2 weeks.

If recent years are any indication, it's debatable whether or not we'll see snow before the new year. As you noted, Ottawa and Montreal are other stories. Same with Buffalo, only an hour south.

I never hear too much about Toronto winters, like Montreal that is for sure.

I look forward to all four seasons and would not enjoy living in a place devoid of seasonal changes. That said, I have zero interest in four plus month long winters!
quote:
quote:
quote:

I look forward to all four seasons and would not enjoy living in a place devoid of seasonal changes. That said, I have zero interest in four plus month long winters!

Toronto has become a city of whining and sniveling wusses when it comes to winter. Toronto gets a free pass on winter compared to Montreal and Ottawa. If you consider winter something to be endured, you should consider moving to somewhere warm and complain about it being too hot. I enjoy living in a climate that has 4 seasons.
quote:
quote:
quote:

Then you will just have to visit Ottawa (the one city mentioned above you've not yet visited, as I recall?) before the end of October or after mid-April! Have I ever mentioned that the National Gallery here might have one or two works of art you might like to see? Artsy stuff you might like to see
quote:
Originally posted by vinodude:
Man iirc I started this subject way back in the day on VC.

99 walter clore
00 chateau haut gravet
00 cap de faugeres
00 fombrauge
03 fombrauge
01 sebastiani av cab

The fombrauge are for my favorite retired dentist in palm beach!!!

You always were a fan of Walter Clore.
quote:
Originally posted by max:
quote:
Added some...

01 chateau clos les lunelles
03 chateau chauvin

Debating on standing a 97 dalla valle or 97 Ferrari carano tresor as well.
Had my last Tresor a couple years back and it was fantastic.

I believe it was the 97 Tresor that we all got as a gift at the first WS Forums offline in NYC in 2002 - Bord-O would know!
quote:
quote:
quote:
Added some...

03 chateau chauvin

I believe it was the 97 Tresor that we all got as a gift at the first WS Forums offline in NYC in 2002 - Bord-O would know!

I wasn't there but that sounds correct.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Bytown Rick:
1978 Mouton-Rothschild
1978 Clos du Val Reserve Cabernet
This should be interesting.

quote:
quote:
1978 Mouton-Rothschild

On my way!!

I was thinking of just decanting for sediment and then pouring. Does that sound about right?
quote:
quote:
quote:
1978 Mouton-Rothschild
This should be interesting.

quote:
quote:
1978 Mouton-Rothschild

On my way!!

I was thinking of just decanting for sediment and then pouring. Does that sound about right?

Are you asking me??!! The only bordeaux I've had anywhere near that old was from you and a couple of fellow forumites.
quote:
quote:
quote:
Added some...

03 chateau chauvin

Not Board-O and nor was I present at that event, but yes, you are correct. Latour67 was the responsible party that gifted everyone a bottle of 1997 Tresor.
quote:
2005 Dom Perignon in the refrigerator which I hope to open about 11:30 tonight.

As Churchill famously said, "I could not live without Champagne. In victory I deserve it. In defeat I need it."

Open it either way. Your Yanks have had a great season for a bunch of youngsters. Good luck!

PH
quote:
quote:

As Churchill famously said, "I could not live without Champagne. In victory I deserve it. In defeat I need it."

Open it either way. Your Yanks have had a great season for a bunch of youngsters. Good luck!

PH

You are always the voice of reason!
quote:
quote:

PH

At 11:15 PM, I just didn't want to open it, so back in the cellar it went.
Razz

quote:
Originally posted by Wine and Food Expert:
I dated a former Yankee "legend" in my formative years. He was amazing on the mound, yet had no staying power in the mounted position, like this 1,2,3... , absolutely! I feel my double Ds had always pushed him over the edge, as he had a fetish in that arena!

Cheers!
~W&FE~
quote:
I dated a former Yankee "legend" in my formative years. He was amazing on the mound, yet had no staying power in the mounted position, like this 1,2,3... , absolutely! I feel my double Ds had always pushed him over the edge, as he had a fetish in that arena!

Cheers!
~W&FE~

Am I reading some excerpt from a vintage article in Playboy adviser from the 70's?
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
quote:

Cheers!
~W&FE~

Am I reading some excerpt from a vintage article in Playboy adviser from the 70's?
It can very well pass as such. Good read Smile
quote:
quote:
1998 Dunn Howell Mountain cab
2010 Diamond Creek Red Rock Terrace cab
1970 Graham

Special event?

A friend is coming over for a quick supper before flying home.

Still hoping to pull together an offline here in December!
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:

2013 Chateau Simone Blanc

What do you think of this producer? I've heard good things, especially about their rose.

Top 5 rose in the world, top 10 most important still, dry white in France and yet some people like the red more than those two...
1996 Beringer Private Reserve cab

For the last five years the son of one of my Friday guys has spent untold hours hanging out with a bunch of old guys and being his dad's designated driver while sneaking an occasional sip. That's mom's job tonight as we celebrate him being able to have more than a sip. Birth year wine of course among others.
quote:
Originally posted by bomba503:
1996 Beringer Private Reserve cab

For the last five years the son of one of my Friday guys has spent untold hours hanging out with a bunch of old guys and being his dad's designated driver while sneaking an occasional sip. That's mom's job tonight as we celebrate him being able to have more than a sip. Birth year wine of course among others.

Well done. Rites of passage are important.... Smile
1990 Dom
1999 Billecart Salmon Nicolas Francois
Henri Giraud Dame Jean Rose Champagne
2010 Chave Hemitage Selection Blanc
2010 Jaboulet Chevalier de Sterimberg Hermitage
1996 Bruno Giacosa Villero
2001 Bruno Giacosa Le Rocche del Falletto Riserva
2005 Bruno Giacosa Le Rocche del Falletto
2007 Piantonaia
2004 Solaia
2007 Messorio
2003 Cos d'Estournel
1975 Suduiraut
1983 Climens
2000 Aldo Conterno GranBussia Riserva
1989 Suduiraut
2004 Leoville Barton
2005 Chiara Boschis Cannubi
2004 Beaurenard Boisrenard CdP

'Tis the season...
quote:
quote:
- 1995 Château Ducru-Beaucaillou

I hope you let us know how this bottle shows. I like many I’m sure have a few of these sleeping as well.

TIA.

W+A, it was a solid bottle after a few hours of air. Tannins are in check & this seems to be in its prime. I wasn't blown away, but it had some stiff competition last night. Low 90's if I had to assign a score.
quote:
quote:
quote:
- 1995 Château Ducru-Beaucaillou

I hope you let us know how this bottle shows. I like many I’m sure have a few of these sleeping as well.

TIA.

W+A, it was a solid bottle after a few hours of air. Tannins are in check & this seems to be in its prime. I wasn't blown away, but it had some stiff competition last night. Low 90's if I had to assign a score.

Thank you, sir.

I will hold them.
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by haggis:
For our holiday gathering this weekend:

1977 Fonseca

Impressions, please.

Haven't had it for a while but needs a long decant and is best served at cellar temp, IMHO!

bmam, my friend, I will do as you suggest! "Long" meaning what, by the way. Come on down and partake!
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

1977 Fonseca

Impressions, please.

Haven't had it for a while but needs a long decant and is best served at cellar temp, IMHO!

bmam, my friend, I will do as you suggest! "Long" meaning what, by the way. Come on down and partake!

I expect that G-man has more experience than me with this wine so hopefully he will chime in. But for my part, at least 4 hours in an open decanter, though I tend to decant ports in the morning and if I can, taste them every few hours to see how they are doing. When they hit the sweet spot, I cover the decanter with plastic wrap. And I put the decanter in the fridge an hour before drinking.

As for joining you, I'd love to but mrs bman is busy with Christmas preparations!
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

1977 Fonseca

Impressions, please.

I expect that G-man has more experience than me with this wine so hopefully he will chime in. But for my part, at least 4 hours in an open decanter, though I tend to decant ports in the morning and if I can, taste them every few hours to see how they are doing. When they hit the sweet spot, I cover the decanter with plastic wrap. And I put the decanter in the fridge an hour before drinking.

As for joining you, I'd love to but mrs bman is busy with Christmas preparations!

ya i agree with the same, especially since it's the 77' vintage. bottle variation is a pain.
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

1977 Fonseca

Impressions, please.

ya i agree with the same, especially since it's the 77' vintage. bottle variation is a pain.

Thank you both!
- (2) 1995 Beaulieu Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon Georges de Latour Private Reserve

Fingers crossed for these at X-mas dinner, as the last few bottles I've tried have been spectacular. A bonus, as I get to hear my Dad make comparisons to his revered Bogle Petite Sirah.
quote:
- (2) 1995 Beaulieu Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon Georges de Latour Private Reserve

Fingers crossed for these at X-mas dinner, as the last few bottles I've tried have been spectacular. A bonus, as I get to hear my Dad make comparisons to his revered Bogle Petite Sirah.

Apparently your father in law has better taste than your dad! Hope these show well
quote:
Originally posted by patespo1:
quote:

Apparently your father in law has better taste than your dad! Hope these show well

I think it's my Dad's requirement to give me shit about everything. IE, his version of family "bonding." Wouldn't have it any other way. Big Grin
Been standing for a week now.

Vadin-Plateau Renaissance Premier Cru Extra Brut
Collard-Picard Cuvee Prestige
1970 Simi Alexander Cabernet Sauvignon
1990 Johnson Turnbull Cabernet Sauvignon Vineyard Selection 67
1990 Schloss Schonborn Hattenheimer Pfaffenberg Auslese
2005 Kracher Chardonnay Trockenbeeren Auslese
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
quote:
quote:
quote:
1964 Lafite

Nice! From Acker Auction? Wink

Nope. Private cellar pick up about ten years ago

Even better!

Sadly, I've had this wine twice and it was DOA.
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
1964 Lafite

Even better!

My experience as well.
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
1964 Lafite

Even better!

My experience as well.

Once only, DOA. Hope yours shows some life.
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
1964 Lafite

Even better!

My experience as well.

Darn, that is a heck of a bad run for sure.
quote:
quote:
Yea I've got a backup bottle in tow for sure

Too bad you didn't get yours from Acker. I would predict it would be drinking like it was a 1990s Bordeaux. Razz

90s cali you mean.

sides, if i wanted any more 90s cali dressed up as fake wines, i'd just hit up your cellar =)
quote:
quote:
Too bad you didn't get yours from Acker. I would predict it would be drinking like it was a 1990s Bordeaux. Razz

90s cali you mean.

sides, if i wanted any more 90s cali dressed up as fake wines, i'd just hit up your cellar =)

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
1964 Lafite

Even better!

My experience as well.

drinking surprisingly well.

Iron shavings, hints of dried blood when initially opened. After some time in the glass, it opened up with some cranberry fruit, dried earth.

On the palate was notes of red berries backed with some sweet tea, that they forgot to add the sugar, notes.

This acutally held up for a good majority of the dinner.

definitely pleasant to drink.
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
1964 Lafite

Even better!

My experience as well.

drinking surprisingly well.

Iron shavings, hints of dried blood when initially opened. After some time in the glass, it opened up with some cranberry fruit, dried earth.

On the palate was notes of red berries backed with some sweet tea, that they forgot to add the sugar, notes.

This acutally held up for a good majority of the dinner.

definitely pleasant to drink.

Pleased to read...
quote:
quote:
So obviously I missed the big 82 Gruaud giveaway......

If you go back through your email I think you'll find you will be a part of that giveaway... Razz

We didn’t allow bman to vote on a wine of this stature. Wink
quote:
quote:
quote:
So obviously I missed the big 82 Gruaud giveaway......

If you go back through your email I think you'll find you will be a part of that giveaway... Razz

We didn’t allow bman to vote on a wine of this stature. Wink

Rob = Cool Smile

As for w + a, as it happens, I own a little Gruaud myself, though it's much younger than Rob's....
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by CSM:
1989 Beaucastel

Yummy. I hope it shows well. How long do you plan to decant?

I'm taking it to a restaurant next Friday, so likely for sediment and long enough to have a pre-dinner drink. I wouldn't imagine for very long.
quote:
quote:
quote:
1989 Beaucastel

Yummy. I hope it shows well. How long do you plan to decant?

I'm taking it to a restaurant next Friday, so likely for sediment and long enough to have a pre-dinner drink. I wouldn't imagine for very long.

It's ready to go. Just decant for the sediment. Berries will fill the air as you decant.
quote:
Originally posted by Longboarder:
quote:
2003 Fuligni BdM
2004 Querce Bettina BdM

Please give us your impressions on both these. Especially the QB.

On this night, the 2004 QB was the superior of the two. In it's ideal drinking time imho.
Red berries, sour cherry and leather with silky tannins and a long leisurely finish.
It's hard to imagine a Brunello any better than this (except an '85 Col D'Orcia).
quote:
quote:
quote:
2003 Fuligni BdM
2004 Querce Bettina BdM

On this night, the 2004 QB was the superior of the two. In it's ideal drinking time imho.
Red berries, sour cherry and leather with silky tannins and a long leisurely finish.
It's hard to imagine a Brunello any better than this (except an '85 Col D'Orcia).

Thanks. I have 6 of the QB left and can't think of anyone I'd want to share them with than you.
quote:
quote:
quote:
2003 Fuligni BdM
2004 Querce Bettina BdM

2004 is an excellent vintage for Brunello. Many are drinking very well right now.
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
2004 Uccelliera BdM Riserva
2005 Joseph Phelps Insignia
2005 Beaucastel CdP
2006 Quintarelli Valpolicella
2016 Leoube La Londe Provence Rosé

Make sure you use a screen for this one. That's sure to throw a ton of sediment, even with standing. Wink
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
quote:
1987 Mondavi Reserve Cabernet

Hoping this shows well for you! It might be my favorite all-time Cali Cab. The best bottles are just pulse-poundingly spectacular.

Was concerned given the ullage and the state of the cork, but it was really pretty outstanding. Still very young though as it kept shifting in the glass. This wine has a long life ahead of it I think.
quote:
quote:
1978 Château Pichon-Longueville Baron
1985 Ridge Monte Bello
1994 R. López de Heredia Rioja Gran Reserva Viña Tondonia

Eek

Not a bad lineup I suppose Smile

Two different events.

I'm not expecting miracles from the Pichon Baron, but I'm hoping the Ridge is a winner.

I opened another '78 Pichon Baron from the same source about 18 months back and it was decent. And I opened an '85 Monte Bello around the same time and I noted that it was "solid but not spectacular".

Add Reply

Likes (0)