quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
2005 Don Melchor Cab

Had a bottle of the 2006 a week ago. Showed well enough, but not as well as I hoped, given the cost and hype. I may start drinking them younger.

Good to know, thanks. Will be popping this tomorrow with grilled filet mignon and will report back.

Thanks! I've had older bottles that showed as expected so hoping the last one was a one-off.
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by Gkapoor:

Gents, last night was the most disappointing vino experience ever!

Fkn Burgundy... Razz explode

PH

It's true. I've had more disappointments from Burgundy than any other region except Italy, but when Burgundy hits its highs, it can be spectacular.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Gkapoor:

Gents, last night was the most disappointing vino experience ever!

Fkn Burgundy... Razz explode

PH

It's true. I've had more disappointments from Burgundy than any other region except Italy, but when Burgundy hits its highs, it can be spectacular.

No doubt why it's known as the heartbreak grape.....
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
How far in advance of drinking do you guys generally stand? 1-2 days?

Aim for a week or two for older when the opportunity is there. Some longer so they are ready to go on demand. Some less due to less available time. So the answer Regis is d) It varies.
Gonna' do a 2001 Brunello horizontal this weekend. At about 15 years from being picked, I expect them to show well. Still working out details, but it will surely include my favorites: Fuligni, Pacenti, Valdicava, Lisini, etc., probably ending up with somewhere between 8-12 different wines. Any and all words of wisdom would be most welcome.
quote:
Originally posted by stickman:
Gonna' do a 2001 Brunello horizontal this weekend. At about 15 years from being picked, I expect them to show well. Still working out details, but it will surely include my favorites: Fuligni, Pacenti, Valdicava, Lisini, etc., probably ending up with somewhere between 8-12 different wines. Any and all words of wisdom would be most welcome.

I'm looking forward to your notes/impressions. I had the Pacenti earlier this year, and I think it was the best showing so far since release.
So here's the lineup for Sunday (and there will be a little infanticide):
2014 Bastide Blanche Bandol Rose (1.5L - opening act)
2004 Janasse Cdp VV
2004 La Rioja Alta 904 Gran Reserva
2008 Galardi Terra di Lavoro
2010 Le Ragnaie BdM (seems a BdM normale that's drinking well now)
2012 Herman Story Nuts & Bolts Syrah
quote:
So here's the lineup for Sunday (and there will be a little infanticide):
2014 Bastide Blanche Bandol Rose (1.5L - opening act)
2004 Janasse Cdp VV
2004 La Rioja Alta 904 Gran Reserva
2008 Galardi Terra di Lavoro
2010 Le Ragnaie BdM (seems a BdM normale that's drinking well now)
2012 Herman Story Nuts & Bolts Syrah

Can the Nuts and Bolts be ready? If so, please let us know!
So the 2012 Nuts and Bolts is at the tip of its drinking window and while the flavors are big, it's very balanced. I drank half yesterday and am finishing the other have now. The nose is incredible, like sticking your nose in a chocolate raspberry sauce. It's weighty in the mouth and the alcohol is slightly present it's delicious with a focused beam of black fruits and has a nice chocolate/mocha note on the finish 20 second finish. Really a fun drink. Bring on the red meat!
quote:
Originally posted by stickman:
Gonna' do a 2001 Brunello horizontal this weekend...

Done, and tasting notes posted. I'm happy to say that there weren't any duds - a few surprises, to be sure, but nothing that seemed like an "off" bottle (one bad cork, but the wine was absolutely fine).
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
1990 Poderi Aldo Conterno Barolo Riserva Granbussia
Please let me know how this shows for you. I'm starting to give consideration in what to stand for our 26th wedding anniversary coming up next month. I'm feel certain I have one of these and may stand it up if it shows well for you.
quote:
Originally posted by max:
quote:
Please let me know how this shows for you. I'm starting to give consideration in what to stand for our 26th wedding anniversary coming up next month. I'm feel certain I have one of these and may stand it up if it shows well for you.

Will do, max. Next weekend.
Meeting up with the long-absent Eric White and his lovely bride this evening in Portland, OR. He made a reservation at a meat-centric spot for dinner and told me to bring something hearty, so I've got a 2010 Caymus Special Selection standing here, ready to go.
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
...'82 Larose in particular is capable of greatness.

May your bottle show well.

+1. I've had 3 in the past 6 (?) years and each has been special. The bottles came from a very cool cellar and all needed a few hours of air to show well.

PH
quote:
quote:
quote:

Will do, max. Next weekend.

Max this is a huge disappointment. The colour of liquid brown sugar. The palate of brown shoe polish. So sad. May your bottle show better.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
...'82 Larose in particular is capable of greatness.

May your bottle show well.

+1. I've had 3 in the past 6 (?) years and each has been special. The bottles came from a very cool cellar and all needed a few hours of air to show well.

PH

Indeed, one of those was shared with us a couple of years ago.
quote:
Originally posted by bhauk:
1985 Graham's. Gman, too young yet? Not a lot of experience with vintage port.

it's a fine port

bit sweet for me =)

the grahams 85 and the fonseca 85 are two ports i like to intro beginner port drinkers on how a 30 year old port can just taste so youthful
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:

it's a fine port

bit sweet for me =)

the grahams 85 and the fonseca 85 are two ports i like to intro beginner port drinkers on how a 30 year old port can just taste so youthful

Going to have it decanted for a a couple hours before the US v Ecuador game for some other novice vp drinkers. Have some '85 Dow's, Graham's, Fonseca's and Croft. Would one of the other houses be a better port lesson tomorrow?
quote:
quote:
quote:

it's a fine port

bit sweet for me =)

Going to have it decanted for a a couple hours before the US v Ecuador game for some other novice vp drinkers. Have some '85 Dow's, Graham's, Fonseca's and Croft. Would one of the other houses be a better port lesson tomorrow?

Wow, wish I was gonna be there! G-Man is right, Graham is one of the sweetest ports while Dow is one of the driest, if a port can be considered dry. Haven't had an 85 for a while but all should be mature. Be sure to decant them all for a few hours before drinking.

If you were going to drop one of those 4 I'd suggest it be the Croft, because it is also sweet and so more similar to the Graham than the other two. And because Croft is my favourite and I've never had an 85, so if I ever get to Rapid City you can share it with me!
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Sparty:
quote:
Originally posted by BOMBA503:
2013 Schrader LPV for birthday dinner Friday night. Time to check into one of these 13 Schrader's.

Happy Birthday! Be sure to let us know how that 13 LPV is showing.

Just saw this. It was very good after a four hour decant and got substantially better over the next few hours as the oak dissipated. Some more time should be very kind to this but it will show amazingly well with a nice long decant now. Easily 95+
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

it's a fine port

bit sweet for me =)

Wow, wish I was gonna be there! G-Man is right, Graham is one of the sweetest ports while Dow is one of the driest, if a port can be considered dry. Haven't had an 85 for a while but all should be mature. Be sure to decant them all for a few hours before drinking.

If you were going to drop one of those 4 I'd suggest it be the Croft, because it is also sweet and so more similar to the Graham than the other two. And because Croft is my favourite and I've never had an 85, so if I ever get to Rapid City you can share it with me!

Sounds like a plan bman, going to open up the Graham's and the Fonseca tonight. Hopefully they show well.
quote:
Happy anniversary and happy birthday, max. I look forward to hearing how those 1966s show. By the way, the 1992 Matanzas Creek Merlot is the best American Merlot I've ever had. I hope that 90 is stunning.

Agreed. Those early 90's Matanzas Creek's are tough to beat. Old Martin Ray, old Laurel Glen, and Kapcsandy Roberta's comes close though...
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
quote:
Originally posted by patespo1:
Sine Qua Non 17th Nail In My Cranium. IF, IF they Cavs can pull off the W Sunday, it will be consumed in celebration. Otherwise, it will go back to sleep for a while.

Tasting note expected tomorrow. Cool

Gents, I'm 3 bottles deep so I'm going to wait a few days, gather my dad and a few close friends, and enjoy it. Post notes within a week.
Taking a couple of 2008s (friends' wedding year) to dinner tonight:

- Dauvissat Chablis Les Preuses
- Domaine Serene Pinot Evenstad Reserve

I have been anticipating the Chablis all week. I'm very excited to try it! Hope that it meets my expectations, or better yet, exceeds them. Smile
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
1994 Diamond Creek Gravelly Meadow

Did you get any of the more recent vintage (forget exactly what it was) that the Crossroads store was selling for a ridiculously affordable price? (for a Diamond Creek wine, at least)
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
quote:
Originally posted by Bytown Rick:
1985 Tignanello
1995 Ridge Geyserville.

Hope they show well.

Really curious about that Ridge. In my experience, these zins age much better than their pro tasting notes suggest.

Over the last 6 months, we have also had the 1992, 1993 and 1994 Geyservilles. They have all been wonderful. Agree totally with you that they age better and longer than some commentators suggest.
quote:
quote:

Did you get any of the more recent vintage (forget exactly what it was) that the Crossroads store was selling for a ridiculously affordable price? (for a Diamond Creek wine, at least)

Frown No. Didn't know they had them. Don't get to Crossroads very often. May have to make a trip there for the Legras & Haas NV Brut and the Sottimano Langhe Nebbiolo if they still have either.
quote:
2001 Certan de May, Pomerol

the last one i had, about a year and a half ago, still needed time even with a long decant. I thought, like W+A, that it should have been ready by then. Interested on hearing how it shows as i still have a few more.
quote:
Originally posted by vinoevelo:
quote:

the last one i had, about a year and a half ago, still needed time even with a long decant. I thought, like W+A, that it should have been ready by then. Interested on hearing how it shows as i still have a few more.

Will let you know how it goes.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by vinoevelo:
quote:

Will let you know how it goes.

Still standing,

Added:
1982 La Lagune
quote:
quote:
quote:

Frown No. Didn't know they had them. Don't get to Crossroads very often. May have to make a trip there for the Legras & Haas NV Brut and the Sottimano Langhe Nebbiolo if they still have either.

The Sottimano is being released through Vintages in October. I think on the 22nd. $30.
quote:
Originally posted by futronic:
quote:
quote:
quote:

The Sottimano is being released through Vintages in October. I think on the 22nd. $30.

Thanks Fut, will watch for the Sottimano.
quote:
quote:
1986 Diamond Creek Volcanic Hill
1996 Pichon Lalande Comtesse

Would love your opinion on both of these

We did not get to the Pichon as planned last night but we did open the Volcanic Hill. You can see the company it kept on the "What are you drinking" thread.
I thought the '86 was in a great place with the classic aged DC profile of earth, leather, and that pure dark red fruit that gives away California as its birthplace when you would otherwise have thought left bank Bdx. Did not fade at all over the course of several hours and I think well-stored bottles have years of life yet. Would have my WOTN had it not been for an outstanding 1990 Leo Poyferre. The bottle was shared with far more refined palates than mine; perhaps they can opine on the DC as well.
quote:
quote:
quote:
1986 Diamond Creek Volcanic Hill
1996 Pichon Lalande Comtesse

Would love your opinion on both of these

We did not get to the Pichon as planned last night but we did open the Volcanic Hill. You can see the company it kept on the "What are you drinking" thread.
I thought the '86 was in a great place with the classic aged DC profile of earth, leather, and that pure dark red fruit that gives away California as its birthplace when you would otherwise have thought left bank Bdx. Did not fade at all over the course of several hours and I think well-stored bottles have years of life yet. Would have my WOTN had it not been for an outstanding 1990 Leo Poyferre. The bottle was shared with far more refined palates than mine; perhaps they can opine on the DC as well.

Thanks for the reply. I still have at least one 1984 Lake and several others from the 1970s.
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
quote:
Originally posted by Wineplease:

1995 Charles Heidsieck blanc de millenaires

Let me know how this goes. I drank my last one a year or two ago, and always felt like I drank all three of mine too soon. Maybe the wine never spoke to me.

The ones we had in Tahoe were excellent. I would love the opportunity to drink more
I believe, not 100% sure, that the white labels were released 2-3 years prior to the dark labels and that the disgorge dates are different.
Regardless, both are fantastic and definite QPR winners in the world of vintage champagne.
Also, judging from the '85 and '90 vintage of this wine, there is no rush to consume these.
Enjoy
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:
- 1986 Château Gruaud Larose

- 2003 R. López de Heredia Rioja Blanco Reserva Viña Tondonia

And I'd love to hear your thoughts on the Tondonia as I have a bottle of the 2003 and another later vintage, 2006 I think.
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Shane T.:
- 1986 Château Gruaud Larose[//QUOTE]

I'll be very interested in your opinion. I have 9 or 10 left and have found the wine still young and tannic.

Based on the '86 Mouton tasted last month, I wouldn't be surprised.

Will post notes on both.
quote:
quote:
I sold off a half case of the Mouton, still really hard

It was a beast, but such an incredible wine - easily one of the best this year for me.

May not have been in my top 10 from that weekend Eek
quote:
Originally posted by patespo1:
quote:
quote:

It was a beast, but such an incredible wine - easily one of the best this year for me.

May not have been in my top 10 from that weekend Eek

Well, shit...I guess that answers this question for you. Wink
quote:
quote:

How much time in a decanter did it need?
quote:
quote:
quote:

How much time in a decanter did it need?

Honestly, it probably would have benefited from 4+ hours of air. But, it also immediately proceeded a '34 Mouton & '60 HB...so, there's that aspect too.

Not sure if you have any left, but I bet it would show better for you with a generous decant. This is an absolute pinnacle IMO, and really skirts the edges of perfection for my palate.
quote:
2001 E. Guigal Côte-Rôtie La Landonne

Though I don't know why I'm standing it because Air Canada's about to shake the bejesus out of it on the way to NYC.

Put "this side up, fragile" on the box...

but dont forget to then flip the bottle opposite your marking so when they keep it inverted throughout flight joke is actually on them!

See you Saturday!
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
quote:
1980 Diamond Creek Volcanic Hill
2008 Sine Qua Non Syrah B 20

Okay so they're a bit different stylistically speaking.

But what a magnificent cuvée those will make once you've had too much to drink! Wink

VinT is big on 1 AM science experiments. His blends are legend.
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
quote:
1980 Diamond Creek Volcanic Hill
2008 Sine Qua Non Syrah B 20
Okay so they're a bit different stylistically speaking.

But what a magnificent cuvée those will make once you've had too much to drink! Wink

Shhh...you're blowing my cover as a master blender, sought after by wineries all over the world. Feed me abalone and 3 bottles of wine and I mixify 100 point masterpieces!
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
Will be pulled before the new year begins:

1990 Charles Heidsieck Blanc de Millesnaires
1998 Chateau Rayas
1993 Grange
Would love to hear how the 98 Rayas shows for you.

i'm making sure i'm sitting next to doubled for this offline
quote:
Originally posted by sarbuze:
quote:
quote:
2002 Lafite
1988 Ruinart
1934 Burmester

Ditto to sitting next to you!

I'm just going to sit in the middle.

I'm getting on a plane, save me a seat!!
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sarbuze:
quote:
quote:
2002 Lafite
1988 Ruinart
1934 Burmester

Ditto to sitting next to you!

I'm just going to sit in the middle.

I'm getting on a plane, save me a seat!!

there's certainly time for this thursday
quote:
quote:
quote:
1985 Fonseca for Christmas Eve. By the way gman or bman, what type of filter do you use for VP's?

http://www.melitta.com/en/4-Co...html?scrolltoindex=4

Thanks! Also what do you think for decant time?

i'm of two minds with the fonseca 85' as i've been tasting it every year so far.

if you like young powerful ports iwth some spirit spice and cocoa dust, the decant through the filter into a decanter will ensure it's ready to drink right off the bat.

it gets a little muted around an hour or 3 of open air time but picks up again a few hours (dont remember) after that.

i'd recommend if you had a decanter with a stopper to just decant in and try to see if you like that cocoa dust with spirit flavor (backed by alot of nice plummy fruit) or if you like it a bit more tamed where you get a little more muted fruit but nice baking spices. If its nice, just topper the decanter, if not leave it open.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...cacsd_bhz_bw_c_x_1_w
I utilize something like this
quote:
quote:
What g-man said!

Though I use a wire mesh filter as I don't mind a little fine sediment at the bottom of the decanter.

i use cheese cloth on any of the bottles older than the 63 vintage.

Sadly, that would not be an issue for any of my bottles...... Frown
Christmas Eve Supper wines, will include the following, and now, each are standing. On this Eve of our Savior, we will explore a Taste of France with 6 guests! Christmas Day will include all domestic offerings

2 x 1982 Chateau Latour - Our annual Christmas Eve favourite!
3 x 1990 Paul Jaboulet Aine La Chapelle Hermitage. My final, prized, last three bottles of this exquisite wine, which we will enjoy with a roast, carved leg of herbed lamb (complete supper menu to be revealed, stay tuned!)
1 x 1964 DRC Domaine de la Romanée-Conti La Tâche Grand Cru. My dear daddy gifted to this from his charming cellar. It has been ageing gracefully since he purchased it at release. While our guests will receive a "taste", I will enjoy most of this wine with my husband, blissfully, after supper. I may achieve orgasm with this wine alone! Eek

What am I chilling, do you ask? Look no further, indeed!
3x 2003 E. Guigal Ex-Voto Hermitage Blanc. In my experience, one of the finest Hermitage Blancs in recent memory!
3 x 2002 Billecart-Salmon Cuvee Nicolas Francois Billecart NFB Brut. I will be sipping on this whilst preparing the supper spread, and I work mise en place, absolutely!
2001 d'Yquem 750ml - In my expert opinion

The spread this year will include a variety of sublime flavours, appetisers, roasted meats, fresh vegetables, cheeses, fruits of my labour, undeniably! Stay tuned.

Cheers!
~W&FE~
quote:
Originally posted by Wine and Food Expert:
Christmas Eve Supper wines, will include the following, and now, each are standing. On this Eve of our Savior, we will explore a Taste of France with 6 guests! Christmas Day will include all domestic offerings
Cheers!
~W&FE~

Your return to this board despite the announcement of your departure from it is a precious Christmas gift...like a lump of coal Smile
quote:
Your return to this board despite the announcement of your departure from it is a precious Christmas gift...like a lump of coal Smile

You do realise my departure is from a long, successful and fruitful career in the industry! My love and mastery of food and wine will carry with me alwasy, whether at home, VIP industry invitations and gatherings, or online. I will never abdicate, I will never fade or otherwise fall into the shadows, nevermore! Roll Eyes

Cheers to you and Yours!
~W&FE~

Add Reply

Likes (0)