quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
19XX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXX

Redacted for security purposes. Razz

Wow! I love XXXXXXXXX, and especially their XXXXXXXX. The 19XX was a great vintage. Much better than the 19XX I opened last month.

+1
For this evening with friends

- NV Henri Billiot Champagne Cuvée Julie
- 2010 Penfolds Chardonnay Yattarna
- 2001 D'Arenberg Shiraz The Dead Arm
- 2008 Domaine Serene Pinot Noir Evenstad Reserve

Plus whatever wine they bring as well; I'm betting that it will be Australian.
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:

bman?
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:

bman?

A good guess, but no. I'm up next week. And Seaquam knows I'm not really a pn guy, and that the only vertical I own is Dead Arm (back to 2000, for those keeping score) so I'm guessing he'll be standing other bottles.

I'm bringing a port.... (no, really??!! Wink)
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
quote:

bman?

A good guess, but no. I'm up next week. And Seaquam knows I'm not really a pn guy, and that the only vertical I own is Dead Arm (back to 2000, for those keeping score) so I'm guessing he'll be standing other bottles.

Despite being a logical assumption, w+a, it is true that the bman is not on our calendar until next week. Smile And I have never forgotten the look of sheer horror on his face long ago when I offered him a glass of Pinot Noir. It is not something I would ever care to repeat. Nor would I dare serve him a wine with bubbles, which would also be a serious [though inexplicable] affront to his sensibilities.

Tonight one of my bride's best friends came to town from the Okanagan to pick up her husband who was returning from a business trip to Australia.

The Dead Arm was WOTN. The Champagne was a bit disappointing, not much mousse and just slightly oxidized, apparently past prime I believe. We also had a bottle of very fine 2011 Weinbach Pinot Gris Altenbourg at the restaurant, a wine I would be happy to buy again.
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

bman?

Despite being a logical assumption, w+a, it is true that the bman is not on our calendar until next week. Smile And I have never forgotten the look of sheer horror on his face long ago when I offered him a glass of Pinot Noir. It is not something I would ever care to repeat. Nor would I dare serve him a wine with bubbles, which would also be a serious [though inexplicable] affront to his sensibilities.

Tonight one of my bride's best friends came to town from the Okanagan to pick up her husband who was returning from a business trip to Australia.

The Dead Arm was WOTN. The Champagne was a bit disappointing, not much mousse and just slightly oxidized, apparently past prime I believe. We also had a bottle of very fine 2011 Weinbach Pinot Gris Altenbourg at the restaurant, a wine I would be happy to buy again.

Yes, bubbles make my nose itch..... catvom
quote:
Originally posted by Wineplease:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
1989 Hermitage La Chapelle

VC, hope it shows very well!

Indeed. One of my favorite.

Thank you W+A; Wineplease. The last bottle I opened was outstanding, fingers crossed for this one...
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Wineplease:
quote:
quote:
1989 Hermitage La Chapelle

VC, hope it shows very well!

Indeed. One of my favorite.

Thank you W+A; Wineplease. The last bottle I opened was outstanding, fingers crossed for this one...

Cool
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
quote:
1985 Hermitage La Chapelle

Wink

How was it?

I won't know until mid-December, Dok. But the 1989 I opened a few weeks ago with some of the TO crew was excellent.

Sunnylea, we opened the '85 last year, and it was fantastic. You're in for a treat.
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Wink

How was it?

I won't know until mid-December, Dok. But the 1989 I opened a few weeks ago with some of the TO crew was excellent.

Sunnylea, we opened the '85 last year, and it was fantastic. You're in for a treat.

Thanks, Shane! I'll be interested in comparing notes.

I'm standing a bunch of things for a bunch of different December events. Besides the 85 La Chapelle:

1981 Lopez de Heredia Rioja Gran Reserva Vina Tondonia
1994 Lopez de Heredia Rioja Gran Reserva Vina Tondonia
1996 Bruno Giacosa Barolo Villero di Castiglione Falletto
1978 Chateau Pichon-Longeuville Baron
1985 Albert Morot Beaune 1er Cru Bressandes
Sunny, I've had the 1981 Heredia Tondonia on a couple different occasions and they are absolutely gorgeous. Very subtle, feminine wines in a Burgundian way. Good thing you're standing them in advance. Both times the sediment have been on the extremely fine, dusty side.
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Wink

How was it?

Thanks, Shane! I'll be interested in comparing notes.

I'm standing a bunch of things for a bunch of different December events. Besides the 85 La Chapelle:

1981 Lopez de Heredia Rioja Gran Reserva Vina Tondonia
1994 Lopez de Heredia Rioja Gran Reserva Vina Tondonia
1996 Bruno Giacosa Barolo Villero di Castiglione Falletto
1978 Chateau Pichon-Longeuville Baron
1985 Albert Morot Beaune 1er Cru Bressandes

Cool
quote:
Originally posted by max:
Sunny, I've had the 1981 Heredia Tondonia on a couple different occasions and they are absolutely gorgeous. Very subtle, feminine wines in a Burgundian way. Good thing you're standing them in advance. Both times the sediment have been on the extremely fine, dusty side.

Thanks max. This will be the second one I've opened in the past few weeks. The last bottle was excellent, and on its own it would have been near the front of the pack, but on that night it was blown away by a 1964 Faustino I Gran Reserva.
For dinner with the Rothkos and irwins:

2005 Henri Goutorbe Special Club

1999 Pinot Gris Clos St Urbain Rangen de Thann Vendange Tardive (Zind-Humbrecht)

1989 Chateau Lynch-Bages

2008 Charmes-Chambertin (Gerard Raphet)

2001 Chateau Doisy Vedrines

Possibly spur of the moment additions
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
2001 Grange

K, please let us know how this young Grange is showing. I always think these need 15 years at a minimum to show well.

I might open a '98 over the holidays.

The 2001 is one of a very few vintages that is 100% Shiraz.
quote:
quote:
2001 Grange

K, please let us know how this young Grange is showing. I always think these need 15 years at a minimum to show well.

I might open a '98 over the holidays.

w+a, I still remember the '98 we shared a few years ago. Great then, probably even better now.
quote:
quote:
2001 Grange

The 2001 is one of a very few vintages that is 100% Shiraz.

Opened the '01 last evening. Splash decanted to remove sediment and air. About 1 hour. This bottle showed quite well. Tannins integrated and well balanced. As you mention, this vintage is 100% shiraz. Not a particularly strong vintage this wine but very nice indeed. A pleasure to consume.
quote:
quote:
2001 Grange

(or are you driving to Ottawa to surprise me with a spontaneous offline and standing it up for that?

You are most deserving of sharing this bottle with, bman, but...no...no intent to head to Ottawa soon. Razz

I have another that we can open some time
quote:
quote:
quote:
2001 Grange

(or are you driving to Ottawa to surprise me with a spontaneous offline and standing it up for that?

You are most deserving of sharing this bottle with, bman, but...no...no intent to head to Ottawa soon. Razz

I have another that we can open some time

bluesbros

BTW, looks like I will be in Montreal in late January, hope we can get together then!
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:

1989 Hermitage La Chapelle (still)

I'm not sure what still means. How was the wine? I have several vintages left from the 1980s.

'still' means still standing - same bottle as posted a little while ago - haven't opened it yet, but added to the 'standing section' of cellar. Doesn't mean standing still as in not moving around Cool Plan to open that one Friday along with the 2001 Paleo and some others with friends.
quote:
quote:
quote:

1989 Hermitage La Chapelle (still)

I'm not sure what still means. How was the wine? I have several vintages left from the 1980s.

'still' means still standing - .

Ah, good. I was worried there was a sparkling version of this wine I did not know about. Big Grin
quote:
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Board-O:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by VinCentric:

'still' means still standing - .

Ah, good. I was worried there was a sparkling version of this wine I did not know about. Big Grin

Good one. Smile
quote:
1991 Kenwood Cabernet Sauvignon Artist Series. Fingers crossed that it's still alive.

Funny you are standing this, should be plenty alive. I am standing two bottles of 1975 Kenwood Artist Series, last time I had this, it was better the next morning.
quote:
Originally posted by pyang:
quote:
1991 Kenwood Cabernet Sauvignon Artist Series. Fingers crossed that it's still alive.

Funny you are standing this, should be plenty alive. I am standing two bottles of 1975 Kenwood Artist Series, last time I had this, it was better the next morning.

Good to hear on the Kenwood, and nice to see you back posting. Hope things are going well in Taiwan!
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
quote:

1994 Dow

Can you post a note? Smile

If I pop it, absolutely. But unlikely I will open all of those ports over the holidays, though time will tell!

If you want to know a little secret, mrs bman is the one whose TNs you want to see - according to DoktaP and some of the Montreal gang, she has a gift!!
quote:
quote:
quote:

1994 Dow

If I pop it, absolutely. But unlikely I will open all of those ports over the holidays, though time will tell!

If you want to know a little secret, mrs bman is the one whose TNs you want to see - according to DoktaP and some of the Montreal gang, she has a gift!!

Especially for a 1994 VP because Bman is just going to say it's not ready yet. Some spiel about being like a cake, all the ingredients are there, but just not baked yet. bart
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
quote:
quote:
quote:

1994 Dow

Especially for a 1994 VP because Bman is just going to say it's not ready yet. Some spiel about being like a cake, all the ingredients are there, but just not baked yet. bart

In actual fact, I'm keen to see how a 94 is developing after 20 years and I have several bottles of this one so can risk this cake not being fully baked! bart monkeybutt
If you want to know a little secret, mrs bman is the one whose TNs you want to see - according to DoktaP and some of the Montreal gang, she has a gift!![/QUOTE]

Her gift is being married to you my friend. You make a perfect couple. But, you are correct, she has a great nose. Most of the time, she is very close to RP. It is uncanny how she picks up on the subtle nuances.
Finally approaching a date, which will include:

1991 Guigal La Landonne
1996 Henschke Hill of Grace
2005 Sine Qua Non 17th Nail in My Cranium
2002 Kracher #11 Nouvelle Vague Welschriesling

Being a Rhone lover, it'll be exciting to compare these gorgeous specimens from different continents. A wide span of vintages, to be sure, but I'm hoping that each will be in its peak window. For all the Kracher I've enjoyed in the past, I have perhaps higher hopes for this bottle than any other I've tried. I was only able to get one bottle, and the notes make it sound like one of the greatest that Alois Jr. ever produced. I can't wait!
quote:
Originally posted by stickman:

1991 Guigal La Landonne

Being a Rhone lover, it'll be exciting to compare these gorgeous specimens from different continents. A wide span of vintages, to be sure, but I'm hoping that each will be in its peak window. For all the Kracher I've enjoyed in the past, I have perhaps higher hopes for this bottle than any other I've tried. I was only able to get one bottle, and the notes make it sound like one of the greatest that Alois Jr. ever produced. I can't wait!

The 1991 Guigal is stunning! Post notes please.
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by stickman:

1991 Guigal La Landonne

The 1991 Guigal is stunning! Post notes please.[/QUOT

Also the 17th Nail please, one of my favorite all time wines. What a lineup, enjoy!
quote:

Her gift is being married to you my friend. You make a perfect couple. But, you are correct, she has a great nose. Most of the time, she is very close to RP. It is uncanny how she picks up on the subtle nuances.[/QUOTE]

mrs bman and I are both very flattered, though as usual, when I told her your kinds words, she was a little embarrassed by the flattery!
quote:
Originally posted by patespo1:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by stickman:
1991 Guigal La Landonne

The 1991 Guigal is stunning! Post notes please.

Also the 17th Nail please, one of my favorite all time wines. What a lineup, enjoy!

Will do! The '05 SQN and '96 HoG are among my all-time favorites, and the other '91s I've had from Guigal (including La Mouline) are as well, though I've never had the '91 La Landonne... yet! They will join 3 other, top-notch, Syrah-based wines, which for now need to remain unnamed. I'm giddy with anticipation; one more day! Cool
quote:
quote:

1994 Dow

We never got around to formal tasting notes but I can say that the wine showed unexpected maturity for a relatively young vintage port. It was also sweeter than I remembered Dows to be, though I hadn't actually had one for a while. It was decanted about 8 hours before being first consumed.

We drank it over 5 days and it showed better on Day Two and was only starting to fade a bit on the last day, after being kept in a decanter covered tightly with plastic wrap since the first night.

For my tastes, I would let this one sleep a few years longer, unless you have several bottles, perhaps, as it will clearly further improve.
quote:
quote:
1986 Mondavi Reserve Cab Sauv

Nice! Hope it shows well!

I'm standing an '85 Mondavi Reserve CS for Saturday.

I have some early '90s Mondavi Reserve I'll have to keep in mind for Tahoe
quote:
quote:
quote:

Awesome!

Noticed the '87 Dunn HM's, by the way. Wink
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Awesome!

Yeah boy, if I win my bid this week definitely will have one earmarked for Tahoe again. Is it August yet Smile

Drinking the Mondavi tomorrow night, I'll let you know how it shows.
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Awesome!

Yeah boy, if I win my bid this week definitely will have one earmarked for Tahoe again. Is it August yet Smile

Drinking the Mondavi tomorrow night, I'll let you know how it shows.

Resisting the urge to snipe your bid... Razz

If Tahoe is a go, I'll bring one of my magnums.
1981 Penfolds Grange Hermitage

1986 Henschke Mount Edelstone Shiraz

1989 Beaucastel

1993 Chateau Latour

For Saturday diner party. Trying to figure out the best method of service, was thinking to decant them just before diving into them and take it from there.
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
I hope it shows well sunny. I definitely agree it was many years of enjoyment ahead of it but should still be great if it isn't flawed.

It was fantastic, especially after a few hours in the decanter and an hour in the glass. I agree: it has a long life ahead of it. It still drinks young right now.
quote:
1996 Faiveley Corton-Clos des Cortons Faiveley. Also standing 1996 Domaine des Comtes Lafon Volnay 1er Cru Santenots-Du-Milieu as back up.

Hope and trust the Faiveley won't need a back-up. Looking forward to hearing how that shows; expectations of YUM.
for tonight w/Tyee

- NV Heidsieck Brut Reserve (2008 disgorgement; thought I had finished these years ago but found this one while moving some bottles around; interested to see how it shows, but have a couple of backups ready)
- 2007 Ornellaia
- 2001 Sassicaia
quote:
quote:

Please tell Tyee hello.

+1

Your greetings were passed on, and reciprocated.

I'll post some notes about the wines we shared in the current 'What Are You Drinking' thread. It was a night with some remarkable wines, and another reminder of how extremely fortunate we all are to be able to live the way we do.
quote:
another reminder of how extremely fortunate we all are to be able to live the way we do.

Or a reminder of how we are able to occasionally live the way we do but aspire to live that way on a regular basis once we finally win the frickin' lottery..... felix
quote:

Or a reminder of how we are able to occasionally live the way we do but aspire to live that way on a regular basis once we finally win the frickin' lottery..... felix

It's Feb. 8, and a sunny, balmy 54˚F day here in Vancouver. Crocuses, snowdrops, pussywillows, tulips are starting to blossom all over the place. I'm pretty sure I've already won the frickin' lottery. Smile
quote:
quote:

It's Feb. 8, and a sunny, balmy 54˚F day here in Vancouver. Crocuses, snowdrops, pussywillows, tulips are starting to blossom all over the place. I'm pretty sure I've already won the frickin' lottery. Smile

Nice. Our other Vancouver friends who live here in KW in the Winter commented to me yesterday how warm its been
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
quote:
quote:

Nice. Our other Vancouver friends who live here in KW in the Winter commented to me yesterday how warm its been

Well FWIW, it was 7 degrees (celcius) and lovely when we were in Toronto at the end of last week. A little breezy especially on Yonge Street but still nice enough to walk around town.
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:

You know, it takes a lot of chutzpah to tell people who are native to Florida just how warm it is in Vancouver. Big Grin

I don't think I could ever see myself doing that.
quote:
Well FWIW, it was 7 degrees (celcius) and lovely when we were in Toronto at the end of last week. A little breezy especially on Yonge Street but still nice enough to walk around town.

Bman, was your dialing finger broken? Or was there another reason you did not let us know you were in town? bunny
quote:
quote:

Bman, was your dialing finger broken? Or was there another reason you did not let us know you were in town? bunny

I was there with my wife for work then a couple of days with wife, son and his fiancée so no time for offlines. This time. But I should be back every few weeks and will definitely give a heads-up next time. Meanwhile, remind me when you are coming to Ottawa again? catmouse
quote:
quote:
'01 Valdicava

K, please post a note on this wine....I'm still holding.

Will do. I opened one a year ago and it showed very well. I have a case plus add'l mags (+dbl mag) so just starting to open to follow it evalution.
quote:
quote:
1998 La Rioja Alta Rioja Gran Reserva 890

Both '97 & '98 were brutal vintages overall in Rioja. That said, I bet this is a wonderful wine.

I'll know in a few hours, w+a. I opened a bottle of this (purchased at the same time as this one) back in the fall of 2014 and I recall that it was excellent but still very young. It'll be interesting to see how it has developed in the intervening year and half.
quote:
quote:

Both '97 & '98 were brutal vintages overall in Rioja. That said, I bet this is a wonderful wine.

All I can say is "I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts."
quote:
quote:
quote:

Sounds like the poor fruit from the vintage faded long before the oak.
quote:
quote:
quote:

Sounds like the fruit from this poor vintage faded well before the oak.
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Sounds like the fruit from this poor vintage faded well before the oak.

The fruit hasn't faded at all, but neither has the oak. I thought the oak was distracting. Others didn't have quite the same reaction to it that I did.

I expect that the fruit will eventually fade while the coconut still hangs on.
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:
quote:
'01 Valdicava
'95 Salon
'59 Moulin Touchais
'03 La Tour Blanche

I'm bringing a 2001 conti costanti bdm so it should be fun to compare.

Should I blow off the Toronto boys and invite myself up to Montreal to drink your wine instead?
quote:
Originally posted by Redhawk:
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:
quote:
'01 Valdicava
'95 Salon
'59 Moulin Touchais
'03 La Tour Blanche

I'm bringing a 2001 conti costanti bdm so it should be fun to compare.

Should I blow off the Toronto boys and invite myself up to Montreal to drink your wine instead?

You should drink with both groups. You can't go wrong with either Cru!
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Sounds like the poor fruit from the vintage faded long before the oak.

I have a bottle of this that i jmuped to buy since they are so hard to find but i must admit never checked the vintage. I thought that the 890 reserve Would only be produced in the very best vintages since it is such a special reserve! How come Rioja Alta produces it in such a bad one?
quote:
quote:
- 1984 Diamond Creek Cabernet Sauvignon Lake

Shane, please posts notes! I have one or two of these left and would love to hear how this wonderful wine is doing.

Notes are on the way for the '84 Lake; suffice it to say that it lives up to the hype!
quote:
quote:

- 1987 Robert Mondavi Winery Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve

One of my favorite all time wines. Wish I had some left. Hope it showed/shows well!

This was in our annual SD "Bucket List" offline last Saturday. It showed very well, but had some stiff competition!
quote:
quote:
quote:
- 1984 Diamond Creek Cabernet Sauvignon Lake

Shane, please posts notes! I have one or two of these left and would love to hear how this wonderful wine is doing.

Notes are on the way for the '84 Lake; suffice it to say that it lives up to the hype!

Great to hear!
In preparation for the Omakase dinner at Shoushin tomorrow evening:

Champagne:
1996 Boizel Joyau de France
1996 Duval-Leroy Champagne Blanc de Chardonnay Brut
NV Legras & Haas Chouilly Grand Cru Blanc de Blanc

White:
1999 ZH Clos Saint Urbain
2008 Bernard Magrez Chateau Pape Clement
2008 Hanzell Sonoma Chardonnay
1999 Jacques Prieur Meursault Les Perrieres
2002 Michel Colin-Deleger Puligny-Montrachet la Truffiere
2002 Christian Moreau Chablis les Clos
2011 Chateau Mercian Koshu Kiiroka
2012 Hirtzberger Smaragd Kirchweg Gruner Veltliner

Sake:
Tenzan Junmai Genshu Jizake

Red:
2007 Domaine Dujac Vosne Romanee Beaumonts

It should be interesting...
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
For a dinner with friends this Tuesday:

1997 Lisini
1997 Ciacci
1997 Poggio Antico Altero

PH

Cool Very nice, PH.
May your bottles show superbly.

I hope they do too. Also have a few other 1997 Brunelli being brought by other friends. It'll be the first larger sampling of 1997s by me in a while.

This tasting is also a celebration of sorts, as one of our group is going to get married next month. I won't give up any more details at this point, since it's not my story to tell. All I can say is that will probably be the most sane bachelor party I will ever attend. If I go to any others after this, I insist on strippers at the bare minimum... I'm not getting any younger...

PH
Not having a walk-in cellar or anything equivalent, I typically haven't been standing my reds.

But a bottle I opened tonight made me think I really should be standing reds that are more than a couple years past release - even if it means standing them at room temperature on the kitchen counter and then transfer to the fridge for a few minutes before opening.

It was a 2007 Chateau Paradis Terre des Anges (Coteaux d'Aix-en-Provence). It still showed a good bit of primary fruit. However, the tannins were well on their way toward precipitating out and were really gritty, to the extent that they were still suspended in the wine. It would have been a really lovely drink had the sediment not been so fine and well-dispersed throughout the bottle.

Does anyone else without a proper walk-in cellar stand their reds at room temperature?
Your wines will be fine if standing them for weeks, or even months, at room temperature (assuming you keep your home or basement at a reasonable temperature. If you're really worried you would probably be fine putting them right in your refrigerator!

The need for collaring at cooler temps is built around the strategy of medium to long term aging. My first "cellar" was the bottom rows from a few shelves from Ikea I left in my bedroom (grad school) and it was 3-4 years before i bought a wine fridge. Not a wine was tainted from being kept at 68-72+ degrees for that time period!
for tonight with some salmon and mushroom sauce

- 1996 Pol Roger Champagne Brut Rosé
- 2008 Dusky Goose Pinot Noir Rambouillet Vineyard
- 2012 Bouchard Pere & Fils Beaune 1er Clos de la Mousse (need to try this while there's still more available here; hoping for a good result)
1999 Billecart-Salmon Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut Millésimé
2013 Mac Forbes Riesling Whole Bunch Press
1996 Paul Jaboulet Aîné Hermitage La Chapelle
1994 R. López de Heredia Rioja Gran Reserva Viña Tondonia
2001 Domaine Pierre Usseglio & Fils Cuvée de mon Aïeul
2004 Alban Vineyards Grenache Alban Estate Vineyard
1998 Delas Frères Côte-Rôtie La Landonne
2006 Sine Qua Non Grenache Raven Series
quote:

Red Face

Someone is going to be very busy.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Machine:
1973 Diamond Creek Volcanic Hill

I'd love to see tasting notes.

I just hope it is still alive. A friend of my wine friends (who generally prefers burgundy) is a diamond creek fan, so figured it was a good time to pop it. I tried the 1974 DCVH at a restaurant several years ago, one of the best older reds that I've had.
quote:
quote:

Red Face

How long do you typically stand champagne before opening?
quote:
quote:
quote:

Red Face

How long do you typically stand champagne before opening?

Big Grin

Here's at least one sparkler that will need standing:

https://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=2208889

Left of its lees for a decade and never disgorged. I have a couple of bottles coming this spring. A "vinoevelo" wine if I ever saw one.
quote:
quote:
Here's at least one sparkler that will need standing:

https://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=2208889

Left of its lees for a decade and never disgorged. I have a couple of bottles coming this spring. A "vinoevelo" wine if I ever saw one.

Cava for me is more of a can't standing than needs standing Big Grin

Never say never. And this is Cava in name only.
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Gkapoor:
On deck for tonight:

1995 Krug Mesnil Blanc de Blancs
1993 DRC Richebourg
1993 Grands Echezeaux
1993 DRC Echezeaux

Such a slacker... Wink Sounds wonderful!

I hate him!
My gosh! Hard to believe, isn't it? I know the 93 vintage in Burgundy doesn't get the praise it deserves, but I absolutely love it!
For deacdes I believed that vintage was of primary importance in Burgundy. My belief now is that it is important, but there are many exceptional wines produced in relative mediocre years.

A few years ago at Maison Nicolas Potel, we tasted a 1992 Chambolle Musigny Premier Cru Derriere la Grange (behind the barn): bright floral nose, delicious, ready, 94, a great triumph from a poor vintage

and at Remoissenet, we tasted a 1967 Beaune Premier Cru: It was brought up from the cellar where it had remained since bottling. It was served blind and the identity not revealed until after opinions had been offered. It had the rich nose of aged Burgundy and the relatively dark color indicated the wine was not tiring. The wine was elegant, but not at all weak or over the hill. It clearly improved with time in the glass, 93.
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
On deck for tonight:

1993 DRC Richebourg
1993 Grands Echezeaux
1993 DRC Echezeaux

I hate him!
My gosh! Hard to believe, isn't it? I know the 93 vintage in Burgundy doesn't get the praise it deserves, but I absolutely love it!

Gents, last night was the most disappointing vino experience ever! All three bottles were shutdown hard providing no pleasure at all. We kept wondering if the storage conditions were poor? The 95 krug mesnil was just stellar but the DRCs were horrendous. Three of us at the dinner and each bottle still had 50% remaining when we left.

Max, I too have very good experiences w the 93 vintage......until last night
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
On deck for tonight:

1993 DRC Richebourg
1993 Grands Echezeaux
1993 DRC Echezeaux

I hate him!

Gents, last night was the most disappointing vino experience ever! All three bottles were shutdown hard providing no pleasure at all. We kept wondering if the storage conditions were poor? The 95 krug mesnil was just stellar but the DRCs were horrendous. Three of us at the dinner and each bottle still had 50% remaining when we left.

So, so sorry to hear this. This should have been a wine night to cherish.
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
On deck for tonight:

1993 DRC Richebourg
1993 Grands Echezeaux
1993 DRC Echezeaux

I hate him!

What a pity! Please accept my condolences. Frown
quote:

Eek What a shame. So sorry to hear this. It should have been an evening of epiphanies.
quote:
quote:
2005 Don Melchor Cab

Had a bottle of the 2006 a week ago. Showed well enough, but not as well as I hoped, given the cost and hype. I may start drinking them younger.

Good to know, thanks. Will be popping this tomorrow with grilled filet mignon and will report back.

Add Reply

Likes (0)