quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
Ha! The '85 Fonseca was pretty good too and was showing better than the '77 Taylor.

77' taylor sucks

there is so much bottle variation with that wine, it's at best 1 in 10 bottles that you'll find that will acutally drink well.

just a badly stored vintage overall
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
Ha! The '85 Fonseca was pretty good too and was showing better than the '77 Taylor.

77' taylor sucks

there is so much bottle variation with that wine, it's at best 1 in 10 bottles that you'll find that will acutally drink well.

just a badly stored vintage overall

I would never claim to have the experience that g-man has with ports but I've had the 77 Taylor maybe four times, always with other portlovers with more experience than I, and it has shown well each time. Smile

But, if KSC wants to offload any of his 77s......
provenance is paramount wiht the t77' (or just about any other 77's)

i've drank about 11 btls the past 8 years and only one wasn't overly spirity and showing signs of heavy bricking.

same goes with fonseca 77. though i did open a stash w/ jburman a few years back taht was stunning. Dark ruby core, no signs of bricking still.

It's just unforutnate the secondary market for these ports just never stored them properly.
quote:

i've drank about 11 btls the past 8 years and only one wasn't overly spirity and showing signs of heavy bricking.

same goes with fonseca 77. though i did open a stash w/ jburman a few years back taht was stunning. Dark ruby core, no signs of bricking still.

It's just unforutnate the secondary market for these ports just never stored them properly.

Agree completely. Hard to shell out the big bucks required to acquire older bottles without being very sure of their provenance.
quote:

It's just unfortunate the secondary market for these ports just never stored them properly.

g-man, if my memory serves me correctly you and I both sourced a case of '77 Taylors a few years ago from the same source. I've opened a few. One was corked but the others seemed fine...

Didn't yours come in a closed case, pristine condition (wrapped in paper, neck tags still attached)?
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:

It's just unfortunate the secondary market for these ports just never stored them properly.

g-man, if my memory serves me correctly you and I both sourced a case of '77 Taylors a few years ago from the same source. I've opened a few. One was corked but the others seemed fine...

Didn't yours come in a closed case, pristine condition (wrapped in paper, neck tags still attached)?

alas, that was not me, i've bought most of mine when i was over in london. definitely not prestine
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
in anticipation for T-Dub's upcoming 35th birthday weekend:
1994 Chapoutier de L'oree Hermitage Blanc
1995 Henriot Cuvee des Enchanteleurs

You are a good man, TPE Cool
Anxious to hear how the 1994 Chapoutier Blanc shows.
quote:
Originally posted by max:
quote:
Also standing up a 1977 Martin Ray Cab as a surprise bottle- shhhh, don't tell him.
Hope this shows well for you. I have a bottle I was thinking about opening in a couple weeks.

Thanks so much Max! Will definitely post notes. Have had some tremendous success with these older Martin Ray cabs.
quote:
quote:
quote:
Also standing up a 1977 Martin Ray Cab as a surprise bottle- shhhh, don't tell him.
Hope this shows well for you. I have a bottle I was thinking about opening in a couple weeks.

Thanks so much Max! Will definitely post notes. Have had some tremendous success with these older Martin Ray cabs.
Same here, in fact, I've had great success with all the older Martin Ray's I've opened, regardless of the varietal. The Pinots have been heavenly.
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
quote:
Originally posted by Machine:
1982 Meyney for tonight with the north of Toronto crew

You're torturing me!

+1

2002 Cos D'Estournel
2001 Guiraud
2006 Cos D'Estournel
2005 Messorio
1994 Pontet Canet
2009 Ch de Beauregard Fleurie Colonie des Rochegres
2010 Ch de Beauregard Fleurie Colonie des Rochegres
quote:
NV Krug
1996 Henriot Cuvee des Enchanteleurs
1998 Sassicaia

I'd like to know how the Sass shows - just bought my first ever bottles - 2011 - which I know won't peak for years, but it would be good to get an idea how long I'll have to wait.
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
NV Krug
1998 Sassicaia

I'd like to know how the Sass shows - just bought my first ever bottles - 2011 - which I know won't peak for years, but it would be good to get an idea how long I'll have to wait.

bman, we can fix that Cool. Let me know when you are back home.
quote:
Originally posted by Bytown Rick:
quote:
quote:
NV Krug
1998 Sassicaia

bman, we can fix that Cool. Let me know when you are back home.

Thanks, Rick! But my trips home will be relatively short for the foreseeable future. Maybe in the Fall?
quote:
quote:
1998 Sassicaia

Bman, the bottle showed very well, though understandably younger than a normal .750ml as this was from magnum. It was the perfect occasion (Dj's b-day) and a perfect format with 11 wine drinkers at the table.

I've had the pleasure of drinking several '98 Sassicaia. The wine shows well now and will for several more years. One of the great vintages for this wine, IMO.
quote:
quote:
quote:
1998 Sassicaia

Bman, the bottle showed very well, though understandably younger than a normal .750ml as this was from magnum. It was the perfect occasion (Dj's b-day) and a perfect format with 11 wine drinkers at the table.

I've had the pleasure of drinking several '98 Sassicaia. The wine shows well now and will for several more years. One of the great vintages for this wine, IMO.

Thanks, K! Smile And most importantly, Happy bday to D! Cool
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
Need to start thinking about my birthday wines

Read that and the post above it and nearly spit out my bourbon! Sure only Board-O has that birthday around here?!?

hah, birthday wines, not graduation year wines =)
Will let you know. I've got a couple more 07s. I've had a bunch of continuum at release and they drink great young. This will be the oldest one I've had. It will be consumed in the parking lot of the LA Forum before the U2 concert tomorrow night but such is lifeSmile
quote:
Originally posted by BOMBA503:
Will let you know. I've got a couple more 07s. I've had a bunch of continuum at release and they drink great young. This will be the oldest one I've had. It will be consumed in the parking lot of the LA Forum before the U2 concert tomorrow night but such is lifeSmile

Personally, I'm looking forward to hearing about the Spottswoode!
quote:

You are making this poor Canadian very envious as there is no way we would ever get away with drinking wine in a parking lot before a show. Or at least, I would not risk someone confiscating such a pricey bottle, which is well above my usual price point (but I got a good deal on that one bottle! bluesbros )

And BTW, we are seeing U2 in a few weeks in Montreal, but the show is right next door to our hotel so being well-lubricated with fine wine will not be a problem!
quote:
Rumor has it the 99 Spottswoode may be bring his older brother from 89. Will update on all

I think his mom must have had sextuplets in 1988. All six moved to my cellar in Toronto earlier this year. I've consumed 2 so far, and they were spectacular.

OK, that just sounds wrong.
quote:
quote:
2007 Continuum
1999 Spottswoode

I'd be interested in hearing how the Continuum shows since I have a bottle of the 2009 and thought it would need to rest for a few years yet.

Well I ended up grabbing an 08 Continuum. We gave it a 90 minute decant and it was fabulous. Sadly the 99 Spottswoode was flabby and no very good. Perhaps it was an off bottle but surveying the damage this morning there was still half a bottle left while the other 7 bottles (4 bubbly and 2 KB Pinots) were dead soldiers.
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
I went back and forth on which to bring to an offline tomorrow and settled on the 96 over the 95. The last 96 LB I had was entering its window with a good decant.
Will report back.

Thank you... I'm hesitant to open either vintage just yet.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
I went back and forth on which to bring to an offline tomorrow and settled on the 96 over the 95. The last 96 LB I had was entering its window with a good decant.
Will report back.

Thank you... I'm hesitant to open either vintage just yet.

As powerful as the wine is, with proper aeration, it is already a pleasure to drink. On this particular occasion it received a quick decant before heading out and then another 1.5-2 hours before consuming. Definitely showing signs of nobility.
quote:
quote:
2007 Graham's vintage port

man, did the painted stripe dry on this before you popped it? =)

how was it?

07's i hear are entering that "dumb" phase

It was good but rough and tough and not ready to drink by my taste, at least. It had a real edge that I found a little off-putting. And it hadn't softened at all the next day. I only opened it because I wanted some port, I was on my own, and the only other bottles I had here in Oakville were 750 mls.
For my wife and I's 25 year wedding anniversary celebration with friends coming up this Saturday night at Marciano's in Memphis:

Standing today:

1990 Mondavi Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon (3L)
1990 Chateau de Beaucastel (1.5L)
1990 Dom Perignon
1990 Schloss Schonborn Hattenheimer Nussbraunen Riesling
1990 Charles Heidsieck Millesime Brut
1990 William Selyem Rochioli Vineyard Pinot Noir
1990 Domaine Monthelie Douhairet Volnay
1990 Pesquera Ribera Del Duero Gran Reserva
1990 La Rioja Alta Vina Ardanza
1990 Lisini Brunello di Montalcino
1990 Ridge Lytton Springs Zinfandel
1990 Beringer Howell Mountain Bancroft Ranch Merlot
1990 Pahlmeyer Caldwell Vineyard Merlot
1990 Chateau Lagrange
1990 Chateau Meyney
1990 Chapoutier Hermitage La Sizeranne
1990 Beringer Private Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon

Praying at least half of these show well Smile
quote:
For my wife and I's 25 year wedding anniversary celebration with friends coming up this Saturday night at Marciano's in Memphis:

Standing today:

1990 Dom Perignon
1990 Chateau Lagrange
1990 Chateau Meyney

Shafergirl and I are looking forward to doing our share of the damage. Can't wait to celebrate your 25th Max.
quote:
Originally posted by Shaferguy91:
quote:

Standing today:

1990 Dom Perignon
1990 Chateau Lagrange
1990 Chateau Meyney

Shafergirl and I are looking forward to doing our share of the damage. Can't wait to celebrate your 25th Max.

Congratulations on your 25th! I'd expect most, if not all of those to show well, unless there is an off bottle or two. sunshades
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
quote:
Originally posted by JDWest:
quote:
Originally posted by James Harry:
I stood up a 1998 La Rioja Alta Gran Reserva 904 recently

I'm sure that it was terribly disappointed.

He ditched it for a 1998 Gran Reserva 890.

Wow. Brazen. It gets ugly when siblings are involved.
quote:

Standing today:

1990 Dom Perignon
1990 Chateau Lagrange
1990 Chateau Meyney

happy anniversary buddy. should be some epic drinking.
quote:
quote:

Standing today:

1990 Dom Perignon
1990 Chateau Lagrange
1990 Chateau Meyney

Ditto. Our 25th is next year, leaving Napa and N Rhone as the main choices. I see you took full advantage of your wedding year being a good or great year in lots of regions
quote:
Originally posted by vinole:
quote:
quote:

Standing today:

1990 Dom Perignon
1990 Chateau Lagrange
1990 Chateau Meyney

Ditto. Our 25th is next year, leaving Napa and N Rhone as the main choices. I see you took full advantage of your wedding year being a good or great year in lots of regions
Thanks to all for the congrats and sorry I'm just getting back to this. I've been in Charleston S.C. all week up until this morning and haven't had an opportunity to get on line.

We were blessed with a great anniversary year for wine drinking. You can basically go anywhere regardless of region and score good wine from 1990. Maybe not Portugal, but everywhere else should be good drinking.
1986 Diamond Creek Cabernet Sauvignon Red Rock Terrace
1994 R. López de Heredia Rioja Gran Reserva Viña Tondonia
1998 Delas Frères Côte-Rôtie La Landonne
1999 Domaine de la Vougeraie Clos Vougeot
2005 Gérard Raphet Chambolle-Musigny Les Bussieres
2006 Domaine William Fèvre Chablis Grand Cru Les Preuses
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:

Eek

Some pretty impressive cellar-draining. Do you know something I don't? Is the end of the world nigh?
quote:
quote:

Eek

Some pretty impressive cellar-draining. Do you know something I don't? Is the end of the world nigh?

Maybe the temperature control at his wine storage malfunctioned and he decided to drink up the trophies before they overheated?
Stood and decanted a 2003 Beckmen Clone #1 Syrah. It had the Santa Barbara syrah funk barnyard that I'm not a fan of and don't usually find in Beckmen syrah - 89/100. On the flipside, if anyone has had or remembers their 2003 PMV Grenache, it was an amazing wine, easily in the top 10 wines I've ever had from Santa Barbara county, 99/100
For the weekend at the VinCentric cottage:

1975 Tour Blanche
1997 Coutet
1997 Pio Cesare Barolo Ornato
2001 Pio Chesare Barolo Ornato
1999 Clos L'Eglise

Left over from the long weekend up there:
2009 Massa Vechhia Passito Aleatico
2010 Aleatico Sovana
2008 Drouhin Vaudon Chablis Vaudesir
1997 Vincent Couche Sensation Champagne
1999 Brochet Hervieux Champagne 1er
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
For tonight

- NV Krug Grande Cuvee
- 2004 Mitolo Shiraz Savitar
- 2003 Vieux Donjon Chateauneuf
- 1997 Albert Mann Riesling Rosenberg Vendanges Tardives (500 ml)

Happy to see someone unafraid to post that they actually drink mid-level shiraz! And that they let it age for a decade first! Or course, I would expect nothing less of my fellow traveller...... bluesbros
quote:
2006 Smith Haut Lafitte Blanc
1994 Guigal La Mouline
1999 Billecart-Salmon Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut Millésimé

Some very nice bottles standing up in the Toronto area Wink
quote:
quote:
1994 Guigal La Mouline
1999 Billecart-Salmon Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut Millésimé

Some very nice bottles standing up in the Toronto area Wink

These pale in comparison to what will stand up when you finally come for a visit. bunny
quote:
For tomorrow:
1988 Spottswoode Cab Sauv
1987 Dunn Howell Mountain

Although unable to attend this time in person, I'll toast you in spirit. Just packed an 87 & 91 Spottswoode and an 85 & 92 Dunn HM for the cottage.

Enjoy the night!
quote:
Originally posted by JDWest:
quote:
For tomorrow:
1988 Spottswoode Cab Sauv
1987 Dunn Howell Mountain

Although unable to attend this time in person, I'll toast you in spirit. Just packed an 87 & 91 Spottswoode and an 85 & 92 Dunn HM for the cottage.

Enjoy the night!

Nice cottage wines!
quote:
quote:
These pale in comparison to what will stand up when you finally come for a visit. bunny

Smile We do plan to head that way eventually, once Dok gives the good word.

KSCO2, any time my friend. Ma casa,su casa. Mrs.DP is doing well and ready to host you and Dj anytime. You are family and our door is always open.
quote:
quote:
quote:

Smile We do plan to head that way eventually, once Dok gives the good word.

KSCO2, any time my friend. Ma casa,su casa. Mrs.DP is doing well and ready to host you and Dj anytime. You are family and our door is always open.

quote:
quote:
We do plan to head that way eventually, once Dok gives the good word.

Great news re: Mrs. DP, Dok! I'll contact you. Soon.
quote:
quote:
quote:

Wonderful news indeed.

When VinT and I had dinner recently, we were commenting on, in Toronto everyone has a cottage, in Montral everyone has a chalet, and how in Santa Fe everyone has their casa. Cool
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Wonderful news indeed.

When VinT and I had dinner recently, we were commenting on, in Toronto everyone has a cottage, in Montral everyone has a chalet, and how in Santa Fe everyone has their casa. Cool

And in each place, great food, wines and friends congregate to have memorable times.
Life is good.
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Wonderful news indeed.

And in each place, great food, wines and friends congregate to have memorable times.
Life is good.

I meant to close with, life is good. Life is good indeed, Bro!
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
quote:

How did this go? Specifically, how is it compared to the '05 version? (I believe you've had this). Thanks man!

IB, the 2006 is a beautiful wine. Not quite the depth and richness of 2005, but tasty nonetheless. I don't have enough experience with white Bordeaux to say if it's drinking at peak today, but it seems to be in a great place and should hold for at least a few more years. (p.s. I have four left...should I save one for when you finally get to Toronto??)
Big Grin

It was a result of email communication/discussion whether I may modify what I was to bring to a Supper last evening, going down to the cellar to stand the second one and casually return to post said second wine (I ended up taking the Siro Pacenti)
quote:
quote:
1987 Diamond Creek Red Rock Terrace

Vin T, pls post TNs on this, especially re drinking window. Just got some of the 2010 at the Crossroads store. PC there said at least 10 more years.

I still have some 1978 and 1979 DCs, plus a 1984 Lake. Get down here this winter, bman!
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
quote:

Vin T, pls post TNs on this, especially re drinking window. Just got some of the 2010 at the Crossroads store. PC there said at least 10 more years.

I still have some 1978 and 1979 DCs, plus a 1984 Lake. Get down here this winter, bman!

We're thinking about it!
quote:
quote:

I'd be happy to, but I'm not sure my '87 RRT will bear much resemblance to your '10, with or without aging. My understanding of DC (and I am far from an expert on this) is that their style has changed numerous times since the glory days of the 70's-80's. All I know is every bottle from the eighties I have tried has been spectacular.
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
quote:
1980 Silvio Nardi Brunello di Montalcino

Let us know how is goes. Curious.
Ok, opened this beauty last weekend. Fingers were crossed, prayers were said, then shortly after, the blessings were poured into our glasses. So grateful how this bottle showed. Brunello on the traditional, seductive side of the slopes. This bottle was in PRISTINE condition. Fill was well into the neck and cork was saturated half way up with no runners in sight. Slight bricking around the edges with a burnt magenta core. Slightly reserved nose in the beginning but picked up with time in the glass revealing red berry, wood and spice. Medium in weight which also picked up body with time. Palate showed definite signs of a wine with age, but in a good way. Mushrooms, cedar, medium ripe berry, assorted spices, and a slight hint of smokiness all came to the front with a nice bit of acidity to play a supporting role on the finish. Very earthy wine that can easily be mistaken as a mature Burgundy. Only difference in my opinion is the noticeable acidity coming from the Sangiovese. Beautiful pairing with the herb encrusted pork loin it was served with. Another example of a well cellared wine.
1989 beaucastel the label is a bit worn but the fill is up to the neck. A rep at the store where purchased said I could return if it was bad (based on a conversation about the label). I hope I don't have to.

2006 tablas creek esprit de beaucastel blanc, a very nice wine that I hope shows as well as the last bottle.
I'm preparing for an international Syrah tasting, so I'm standing a 1991 Guigal La Landonne, a 1996 Henschke Hill of Grace, and a 2005 Sine Qua Non 17th Nail in My Head. I'll throw in a red herring or two just to keep guests guessing, but I can't reveal those here, as the guests are also forum members. 'Very much looking forward to this! Cool
quote:
Originally posted by stickman:
I'm preparing for an international Syrah tasting, so I'm standing a 1991 Guigal La Landonne, a 1996 Henschke Hill of Grace, and a 2005 Sine Qua Non 17th Nail in My Head. I'll throw in a red herring or two just to keep guests guessing, but I can't reveal those here, as the guests are also forum members. 'Very much looking forward to this! Cool

Well, well. Wink
quote:
quote:

Well, well. Wink

Stick, did you hold this event yet? If so, how did the LaLa show?

We need to drink wine together again. It has been longer than normal for us.
quote:
quote:
quote:

Well, well. Wink

Same here. Would love to hear how both the LaLa and Hill of Grace shown.
quote:
quote:
quote:
I'm preparing for an international Syrah tasting, so I'm standing a 1991 Guigal La Landonne, a 1996 Henschke Hill of Grace, and a 2005 Sine Qua Non 17th Nail in My Head. ...

Well, well. Wink

Agreed! This event has not yet taken place (just got back from the NY Wine Experience), and if you're in town in the next month or so, I could arrange it so that you're there to partake. (Btw, this is the last of my '91 LaLas.)

Max, I will definitely post results. Johann Henschke mentioned the '96 could go another 5-10 years to be at its peak, but I'm not willing to wait any longer. Cool
quote:
Originally posted by ABryce:
quote:
Machine, you're a '68er. Does that mean that someone does it to you and then you owe them one?

LOL!

Yes Dok and I'm looking for volunteers with Abryce's birth year...ha.

Also standing:

1967 La Mission Haut Brion
1973 Diamond Creek Volcanic Hill

But with 12 or 13 people coming I might grab a mag or two instead...damn pesky hungry thirsty well wishers!!

Add Reply

Likes (0)