1974 Inglenook Cask B-7 Cabernet Sauvignon
1997 Lisini BDM
1987 Mondavi Reserve
1989 Pichon Baron
2000 Azelia San Rocco Barolo

The Inglenook had seen better days. Definitely drinkable but past it's maturity date.
All the other wines were fantastic.

Oops. Wrong thread. Reposted
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
92 Dominus


My favorite vintage of Dominus when showing well.


My last one was corked, but this one is from a different source. Fingers crossed.


Did you take the corked bottle back?
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
92 Dominus


My favorite vintage of Dominus when showing well.


My last one was corked, but this one is from a different source. Fingers crossed.


Did you take the corked bottle back?


It was from a US retailer. I contacted them and explained it, but he insisted that they bought the bottles directly from the distributor and that every other bottle they had either sold or opened themselves was fine. He said they had a little Brett that dissipated (and sent me a link to the wiki page about Brett) and implied that's what was up with my bottle. I told him I knew what Brett was, and I knew what TCA was, and this was TCA.

He begged to differ and refused to take it back. I still have one more 92 from him - which he also refused to take back - but tonight's is from a different source.
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
92 Dominus


My favorite vintage of Dominus when showing well.


My last one was corked, but this one is from a different source. Fingers crossed.


Did you take the corked bottle back?


It was from a US retailer. I contacted them and explained it, but he insisted that they bought the bottles directly from the distributor and that every other bottle they had either sold or opened themselves was fine. He said they had a little Brett that dissipated (and sent me a link to the wiki page about Brett) and implied that's what was up with my bottle. I told him I knew what Brett was, and I knew what TCA was, and this was TCA.

He begged to differ and refused to take it back. I still have one more 92 from him - which he also refused to take back - but tonight's is from a different source.


I would love to know the name of this retailer. I would never buy from them and would hope others would not as well.
1997 Paolo Scavino Barolo Riserva Rocche dell’Annunziata
2001 Domenico Clerico Barolo Pajana

And on behalf of a fellow board member:
1990 Domenico Clerico Ciabot Mentin Ginestra

Plus getting a champagne and a couple of stickies ready... But those aren't standing.
For tomorrow night, 2003 Dominique Laurent GC Clos Saint Denis Vieilles Vignes.

I bought 5 bottles of this on release, drank 2 in 2007 at which time they showed beautifully, opened 1 in 2012 that was badly corked, and am hoping for at least 1 more great bottle. C'est la vie.
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:

53 haut brion blanc



Eek

Is there a story here, g-man?


as in i'm going to drink it and hope it's drinkable ? =)

oh and i'm celelbrating my 35th bday a little bit late =)
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:

53 haut brion blanc



Eek

Is there a story here, g-man?


as in i'm going to drink it and hope it's drinkable ? =)

oh and i'm celelbrating my 35th bday a little bit late =)


It would be great to hear that a white Bordeaux of that age is still drinkable. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, g-man.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
92 Dominus


My favorite vintage of Dominus when showing well.


My last one was corked, but this one is from a different source. Fingers crossed.


Did you take the corked bottle back?


It was from a US retailer. I contacted them and explained it, but he insisted that they bought the bottles directly from the distributor and that every other bottle they had either sold or opened themselves was fine. He said they had a little Brett that dissipated (and sent me a link to the wiki page about Brett) and implied that's what was up with my bottle. I told him I knew what Brett was, and I knew what TCA was, and this was TCA.

He begged to differ and refused to take it back. I still have one more 92 from him - which he also refused to take back - but tonight's is from a different source.


I would love to know the name of this retailer. I would never buy from them and would hope others would not as well.


W+A, there is closure on this: it took awhile, but they've given me a credit for the corked bottle against a future purchase. I'm satisfied. As for the other bottle, we'll deal with it once I open it.

I've purchased from them a few times and have never had a problem with bottle condition, so hopefully this was a one-off.
My niece is getting married this weekend. Opening the following with the immediate family:

1989 Chateau Vieux Chateau Certan
1989 Chateau Leoville las Cases
1989 Aldo Conterno Bussia Soprano
1989 Krug
1989 Dominus
1989 Chateau Pichon Baron

Lucky for the winos, most are not wine geeks and will only have a glass of one or two of these.
quote:
Originally posted by Longboarder:
My niece is getting married this weekend. Opening the following with the immediate family:

1989 Chateau Vieux Chateau Certan
1989 Chateau Leoville las Cases
1989 Aldo Conterno Bussia Soprano
1989 Krug
1989 Dominus
1989 Chateau Pichon Baron

Lucky for the winos, most are not wine geeks and will only have a glass of one or two of these.


I almost opened an 89 Sociando Mallet tonight and probably will tomorrow. Must be something about 25 year old wines.....
quote:
Originally posted by Longboarder:
My niece is getting married this weekend. Opening the following with the immediate family:

1989 Chateau Vieux Chateau Certan
1989 Chateau Leoville las Cases
1989 Aldo Conterno Bussia Soprano
1989 Krug
1989 Dominus
1989 Chateau Pichon Baron

Lucky for the winos, most are not wine geeks and will only have a glass of one or two of these.

Congrats to your niece. A lot of weddings in the Longboarder family! They will be drinking nicely!
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
On deck for tonight:
1996 Guigal La Mouline
1997 Guigal La Turque
2000 Guigal La Mouline
2006 Guigal La Landonne
1970 Fonseca Port
1995 Krug
Jacques Selosse Brut Rose
2007 SQN Body and Soul
1990 Chateau Coutet a Barsac Cuvée Madame

What an amazing lineup! Eek Like Dok, I'd love to hear your opinions of the Lalas.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
I look forward to the notes on that GdL. I still have one or two. Cellar log says two, but looking without pulling everything out I only see one.


Not planning to open it for a couple of weeks. Giving it a nice long stand. But I'll report back once I've tried it.
Haven't had one in a few years. I opened my last of a 6 pack back in 2011. It was the best of the 6, and still had the stuffing to go for a few years. I experienced a high degree of bottle variation with this wine. The best was excellent. The least good was..... just good.

PH
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
quote:
Originally posted by Longboarder:
1959 Chateau Palmer
1961 Giacomo Conterno Barolo

Both for Montreal on Thursday.

That's a tough act to follow. Can hardly wait to try them.


Looking forward to seeing some notes on these two Dok. Enjoy Cool
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
quote:
Originally posted by Longboarder:
Both for Montreal on Thursday.

59 palmer- one of my all time favorites... going to be a memorable night!

Cool no matter what bottles show up, Thursday is destined to be, yet another, very memorable evening
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
I'm standing a '99 Masseto and a 1986 Gruaurd Larose.

Cool Very nice. A memorable week ahead, indeed.


Killin' me.... Frown
It's not too late. Just sayin'

PH
quote:
Originally posted by Longboarder:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
In honor of the upcoming Montreal offline, I'm standing a 1982 Gruaud Larose. Butterflied leg of lamb and risotto for Sunday's dinner.

PH


I am sure the invitation is waiting in the mailbox when I get home today. Wink


You are always on the list, Lb. Although it appears that you're moving even further away soon!

PH
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by Longboarder:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
In honor of the upcoming Montreal offline, I'm standing a 1982 Gruaud Larose. Butterflied leg of lamb and risotto for Sunday's dinner.

PH


I am sure the invitation is waiting in the mailbox when I get home today. Wink


You are always on the list, Lb. Although it appears that you're moving even further away soon!

PH


Yep. Moving back closer to my roots. I will still be up in your neck of the woods on business. Just won't be driving my car. Hope to see you sooner than later.
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
In honor of the upcoming Montreal offline, I'm standing a 1982 Gruaud Larose. Butterflied leg of lamb and risotto for Sunday's dinner.

PH

Cool


Looking forward to some notes on the 82 GL. Sounds like a great menu to go with it.
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
'87 Diamond Creek Lake Vineyard

It's steve8's b'day coming up & Filet on the Grill

Cool Happy Birthday, Buddy!


Something tells me that won't be the only trophy bottle to die tonight!

Best wishes to my fellow Bruins fan on his bday! Smile
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
'87 Diamond Creek Lake Vineyard

It's steve8's b'day coming up & Filet on the Grill

Cool Happy Birthday, Buddy!


Look forward to the notes. I have the 1984 and maybe a 1978 (didn't see the 1978 in the bin where I thought it was- oh, kids, have you been visiting Daddy's cellar?)
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
'87 Diamond Creek Lake Vineyard


Look forward to the notes. I have the 1984 and maybe a 1978

Board-O - A very nice wine that showed well. No bricking. Quite young in color and a very nice nose. The secondaries were all there. A bit out of balance, however, IMO. The tannins were not balance with the fruit or across the palate. This was my second bottle and they've both shown similarly.

It pales in comparison to the '84. Pales.
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
Board-O - A very nice wine that showed well. No bricking. Quite young in color and a very nice nose. The secondaries were all there. A bit out of balance, however, IMO. The tannins were not balance with the fruit or across the palate. This was my second bottle and they've both shown similarly.

It pales in comparison to the '84. Pales.


While I'm grateful for KSC's generosity in opening this bottle, I have to agree. Good wine, but not wow.
quote:
Originally posted by max:
1949 Francesco Rinaldi & Figli Barolo Alba

1964 Francesco Rinaldi & Figli Barolo Alba

Need help from you Piedmont experts; what would be the best method to use for these to show their best? Longboarder, Futronic?


Based on my experience with older Barolo and not knowing the provenance of these bottles I would suggest opening them a couple of hours prior to consumption and I would not decant them. I would pour a small amount out to taste to insure they were not corked or flawed and then just let them slow-O. The '64 could be stunning. 2 Cents
quote:
Originally posted by CSM:
quote:
Originally posted by Machine:
For a different certain event this evening...

1990 Mouton Rothschild
1999 Pichon Baron (in case Mouton is dead)


Your event sounds quite good....


I'm sure yours will be just as good. I'm itching for something doontoon some time soon. I think I went to an event at crush a few weeks back but we drank enough to wipe my memory. I need a re-do. And rob's bookends have my mouth watering.
quote:
Originally posted by Machine:

I'm itching for something doontoon some time soon. I think I went to an event at crush a few weeks back but we drank enough to wipe my memory. I need a re-do. And rob's bookends have my mouth watering.


You rang?! Banana
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
Originally posted by Machine:

I'm itching for something doontoon some time soon. I think I went to an event at crush a few weeks back but we drank enough to wipe my memory. I need a re-do. And rob's bookends have my mouth watering.


You rang?! Banana


Indeed I did!!! Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by Machine:
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
Originally posted by Machine:

I'm itching for something doontoon some time soon. I think I went to an event at crush a few weeks back but we drank enough to wipe my memory. I need a re-do. And rob's bookends have my mouth watering.


You rang?! Banana


Indeed I did!!! Big Grin


I don't suppose on offline in Oakville with VinT and perhaps others would interest you? (see the offlines thread.....)
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
Originally posted by Machine:
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
Originally posted by Machine:

I'm itching for something doontoon some time soon. I think I went to an event at crush a few weeks back but we drank enough to wipe my memory. I need a re-do. And rob's bookends have my mouth watering.


You rang?! Banana


Indeed I did!!! Big Grin


I don't suppose on offline in Oakville with VinT and perhaps others would interest you? (see the offlines thread.....)


I'm not sure I can make it work but definitely interests me and keeping my eye on it.
quote:
Originally posted by Longboarder:
Tonight is our last night in the home that we have lived in for 24 years. I have been standing a 1988 Salon Le Mesnil and a 1959 Charles Vienot Richebourg. We have our closest friends joining us for a final dinner in the Virginia home. On to the next chapter.

Enjoy LB and best of luck to you and M as you move forward. Enjoy your wines and plan our next intrepid wine visit.
quote:
Originally posted by Longboarder:
Tonight is our last night in the home that we have lived in for 24 years. I have been standing a 1988 Salon Le Mesnil and a 1959 Charles Vienot Richebourg. We have our closest friends joining us for a final dinner in the Virginia home. On to the next chapter.

Enjoy the move to NC- I am sure the new home will enjoy an equal number of wonderful memories (hopefully involving some wonderful wines).
quote:
Originally posted by Bytown Rick:
Since you asked . . .

Barossa Valley Estate Ebenezer Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot 1998. Huge when released; a bit more mellow when last tasted 5 years later. Will be interesting to see what it has evolved into.


Rick! Happy to finally see someone else from Ottawa here. Stay tuned to the offline forum - we try to have at least one a year in Ottawa with fellow winegeeks from Montreal and elsewhere, usually at Play, and you would be more than welcome! Smile
quote:
Originally posted by bman:

Rick! Happy to finally see someone else from Ottawa here. Stay tuned to the offline forum - we try to have at least one a year in Ottawa with fellow winegeeks from Montreal and elsewhere, usually at Play, and you would be more than welcome! Smile


Thank you. I will keep my eyes open for the next one.

Rick
My turn to host a Super Tasting for The Wine Nerds:

2011 Domaine Grand Veneur Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc La Fontaine

2001 Domaine Charvin Châteauneuf-du-Pape
2001 Domaine du Pégaü Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Réservée
2001 Domaine Pierre Usseglio & Fils Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée de mon Aïeul
2001 Domaine du Vieux Télégraphe Châteauneuf-du-Pape La Crau
2001 Domaine Bois de Boursan Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée des Félix
2001 Domaine des Saumades Châteauneuf-du-Pape
2001 Domaine de la Charbonnière Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Vieilles Vignes
2001 Le Vieux Donjon Châteauneuf-du-Pape
2001 Clos des Papes Châteauneuf-du-Pape
2001 E. Guigal Châteauneuf-du-Pape
2001 Château Fortia Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée du Baron
2001 Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape
2001 Château Rayas Châteauneuf-du-Pape Pignan Reserve
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Canuck:
My turn to host a Super Tasting for The Wine Nerds:

2011 Domaine Grand Veneur Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc La Fontaine

2001 Domaine Charvin Châteauneuf-du-Pape
2001 Domaine du Pégaü Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Réservée
2001 Domaine Pierre Usseglio & Fils Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée de mon Aïeul
2001 Domaine du Vieux Télégraphe Châteauneuf-du-Pape La Crau
2001 Domaine Bois de Boursan Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée des Félix
2001 Domaine des Saumades Châteauneuf-du-Pape
2001 Domaine de la Charbonnière Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Vieilles Vignes
2001 Le Vieux Donjon Châteauneuf-du-Pape
2001 Clos des Papes Châteauneuf-du-Pape
2001 E. Guigal Châteauneuf-du-Pape
2001 Château Fortia Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée du Baron
2001 Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape
2001 Château Rayas Châteauneuf-du-Pape Pignan Reserve


Nice line up. Nice blog.
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Canuck:
My turn to host a Super Tasting for The Wine Nerds:

2011 Domaine Grand Veneur Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc La Fontaine

2001 Domaine Charvin Châteauneuf-du-Pape
2001 Domaine du Pégaü Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Réservée
2001 Domaine Pierre Usseglio & Fils Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée de mon Aïeul
2001 Domaine du Vieux Télégraphe Châteauneuf-du-Pape La Crau
2001 Domaine Bois de Boursan Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée des Félix
2001 Domaine des Saumades Châteauneuf-du-Pape
2001 Domaine de la Charbonnière Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Vieilles Vignes
2001 Le Vieux Donjon Châteauneuf-du-Pape
2001 Clos des Papes Châteauneuf-du-Pape
2001 E. Guigal Châteauneuf-du-Pape
2001 Château Fortia Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée du Baron
2001 Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape
2001 Château Rayas Châteauneuf-du-Pape Pignan Reserve


looking forward to reading your notes on these as i have a number of them. Make sure you give them plenty of time to breathe - in my experience with the charvin, usseglio & vieux donjon they open with a lot of funk that takes 2-3 hours to blow off.
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
quote:
Originally posted by Duojet:
1993 Ceretto - Bricco Rocche Bricco Rocche

My wife and I are celebrating our 21st wedding anniversary later this week.

My wife and I celebrated our 31st anniversary today. Looking forward to the next 31.


Congratulations! My 35th is in November. Still trying to decide what wines to serve Big Grin .

Rick
quote:
Originally posted by Bytown Rick:
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
quote:
Originally posted by Duojet:
1993 Ceretto - Bricco Rocche Bricco Rocche

My wife and I are celebrating our 21st wedding anniversary later this week.

My wife and I celebrated our 31st anniversary today. Looking forward to the next 31.


Congratulations! My 35th is in November. Still trying to decide what wines to serve Big Grin .

Rick


I've got both a 20th and a 40th anniversary next month. I first started dating my partner 40 years ago next month. We split up somewhere along the way and didn't see each other for about 15 years. Then we got back together again exactly 20 years ago next month.

Guess I'll need both a 1974 and a 1994...
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
quote:
Originally posted by Bytown Rick:
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
quote:
Originally posted by Duojet:
1993 Ceretto - Bricco Rocche Bricco Rocche

My wife and I are celebrating our 21st wedding anniversary later this week.

My wife and I celebrated our 31st anniversary today. Looking forward to the next 31.


Congratulations! My 35th is in November. Still trying to decide what wines to serve Big Grin .

Rick


I've got both a 20th and a 40th anniversary next month. I first started dating my partner 40 years ago next month. We split up somewhere along the way and didn't see each other for about 15 years. Then we got back together again exactly 20 years ago next month.

Guess I'll need both a 1974 and a 1994...


This thread seems to have taken a milestone-anniversary-for-Ontario-forumites-turn - congrats to you all! mrs. bman and I hit 30 in March! Winner
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
quote:
Originally posted by Bytown Rick:
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
quote:
Originally posted by Duojet:
1993 Ceretto - Bricco Rocche Bricco Rocche

My wife and I are celebrating our 21st wedding anniversary later this week.

My wife and I celebrated our 31st anniversary today. Looking forward to the next 31.


Congratulations! My 35th is in November. Still trying to decide what wines to serve Big Grin .

Rick


I've got both a 20th and a 40th anniversary next month. I first started dating my partner 40 years ago next month. We split up somewhere along the way and didn't see each other for about 15 years. Then we got back together again exactly 20 years ago next month.

Guess I'll need both a 1974 and a 1994...


I have a 94 Leoville Barton you can have if you need to impress the mrs with the year (not the vintage).
Well, it's time to pull a few nice ones from the cellar. We've got lots to celebrate and guests coming to help us. A healthy newborn boy three weeks ago, a new house two months ago and a new car last night. My best friend is coming in from NYC this weekend too.

2000 Taittinger Comtes
2007 Leflaive Clavoillon
2008 Dujac Chambolle Musigny
1994 Dominus
2001 Pichon Baron
2008 Shafer Merlot
quote:
Originally posted by Duojet:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
quote:
Originally posted by Bytown Rick:
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
quote:
Originally posted by Duojet:
1993 Ceretto - Bricco Rocche Bricco Rocche

My wife and I are celebrating our 21st wedding anniversary later this week.

My wife and I celebrated our 31st anniversary today. Looking forward to the next 31.


Congratulations! My 35th is in November. Still trying to decide what wines to serve Big Grin .

Rick


I've got both a 20th and a 40th anniversary next month. I first started dating my partner 40 years ago next month. We split up somewhere along the way and didn't see each other for about 15 years. Then we got back together again exactly 20 years ago next month.

Guess I'll need both a 1974 and a 1994...


I have a 94 Leoville Barton you can have if you need to impress the mrs with the year (not the vintage).


Thanks duojet! I've got a 1994 Dominus that I've been saving. I know she'll love it (and so will I). As for 1974, there's a '74 Barolo I plan to buy from a producer when I'm in Piedmont in a few weeks.
quote:
Originally posted by Swade:
Well, it's time to pull a few nice ones from the cellar. We've got lots to celebrate and guests coming to help us. A healthy newborn boy three weeks ago, a new house two months ago and a new car last night. My best friend is coming in from NYC this weekend too.

2000 Taittinger Comtes
2007 Leflaive Clavoillon
2008 Dujac Chambolle Musigny
1994 Dominus
2001 Pichon Baron
2008 Shafer Merlot


Sounds like a good way to celebrate...
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
quote:
Originally posted by Duojet:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
quote:
Originally posted by Bytown Rick:
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
quote:
Originally posted by Duojet:
1993 Ceretto - Bricco Rocche Bricco Rocche

My wife and I are celebrating our 21st wedding anniversary later this week.

My wife and I celebrated our 31st anniversary today. Looking forward to the next 31.


Congratulations! My 35th is in November. Still trying to decide what wines to serve Big Grin .

Rick


I've got both a 20th and a 40th anniversary next month. I first started dating my partner 40 years ago next month. We split up somewhere along the way and didn't see each other for about 15 years. Then we got back together again exactly 20 years ago next month.

Guess I'll need both a 1974 and a 1994...


I have a 94 Leoville Barton you can have if you need to impress the mrs with the year (not the vintage).


Thanks duojet! I've got a 1994 Dominus that I've been saving. I know she'll love it (and so will I). As for 1974, there's a '74 Barolo I plan to buy from a producer when I'm in Piedmont in a few weeks.

Aaaahhhhhhh! The lightbulb just went on. Therefore the visit to Guasti Clemente in Nizza Monferrato?
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
Thanks duojet! I've got a 1994 Dominus that I've been saving. I know she'll love it (and so will I). As for 1974, there's a '74 Barolo I plan to buy from a producer when I'm in Piedmont in a few weeks.

Aaaahhhhhhh! The lightbulb just went on. Therefore the visit to Guasti Clemente in Nizza Monferrato?


Ding ding ding ding ding! Yes, Patricia really enjoyed the '89 Guasti Clemente, and when I emailed them they said they have more of the '89 as well as the '74 vintage. Couldn't have worked out better if I'd planned it.
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
Thanks duojet! I've got a 1994 Dominus that I've been saving. I know she'll love it (and so will I). As for 1974, there's a '74 Barolo I plan to buy from a producer when I'm in Piedmont in a few weeks.

Aaaahhhhhhh! The lightbulb just went on. Therefore the visit to Guasti Clemente in Nizza Monferrato?


Ding ding ding ding ding! Yes, Patricia really enjoyed the '89 Guasti Celmente, and when I emailed them they said they have more of the '89 as well as the '74 vintage. Couldn't have worked out better if I'd planned it.


Good to see we're all on the same page now Big Grin

Looking forward to Sunnylea's update from Nizza Monferrato!
quote:
Originally posted by vinoevelo:
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Canuck:
My turn to host a Super Tasting for The Wine Nerds:

2011 Domaine Grand Veneur Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc La Fontaine

2001 Domaine Charvin Châteauneuf-du-Pape
2001 Domaine du Pégaü Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Réservée
2001 Domaine Pierre Usseglio & Fils Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée de mon Aïeul
2001 Domaine du Vieux Télégraphe Châteauneuf-du-Pape La Crau
2001 Domaine Bois de Boursan Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée des Félix
2001 Domaine des Saumades Châteauneuf-du-Pape
2001 Domaine de la Charbonnière Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Vieilles Vignes
2001 Le Vieux Donjon Châteauneuf-du-Pape
2001 Clos des Papes Châteauneuf-du-Pape
2001 E. Guigal Châteauneuf-du-Pape
2001 Château Fortia Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée du Baron
2001 Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape
2001 Château Rayas Châteauneuf-du-Pape Pignan Reserve


looking forward to reading your notes on these as i have a number of them. Make sure you give them plenty of time to breathe - in my experience with the charvin, usseglio & vieux donjon they open with a lot of funk that takes 2-3 hours to blow off.


Thanks for the comments, E. Given that some of these may still be on the young side and that I don't have 13 decanters I may double decant all of them 2 hours prior to service. I figure the air can't hurt at this stage. It's also nice when the last person to get a pour doesn't end up with sludge in their glass.

we'll definitely post notes.
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Canuck:
quote:
Originally posted by vinoevelo:
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Canuck:
My turn to host a Super Tasting for The Wine Nerds:

2011 Domaine Grand Veneur Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc La Fontaine

2001 Domaine Charvin Châteauneuf-du-Pape
2001 Domaine du Pégaü Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Réservée
2001 Domaine Pierre Usseglio & Fils Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée de mon Aïeul
2001 Domaine du Vieux Télégraphe Châteauneuf-du-Pape La Crau
2001 Domaine Bois de Boursan Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée des Félix
2001 Domaine des Saumades Châteauneuf-du-Pape
2001 Domaine de la Charbonnière Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Vieilles Vignes
2001 Le Vieux Donjon Châteauneuf-du-Pape
2001 Clos des Papes Châteauneuf-du-Pape
2001 E. Guigal Châteauneuf-du-Pape
2001 Château Fortia Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée du Baron
2001 Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape
2001 Château Rayas Châteauneuf-du-Pape Pignan Reserve


looking forward to reading your notes on these as i have a number of them. Make sure you give them plenty of time to breathe - in my experience with the charvin, usseglio & vieux donjon they open with a lot of funk that takes 2-3 hours to blow off.


Thanks for the comments, E. Given that some of these may still be on the young side and that I don't have 13 decanters I may double decant all of them 2 hours prior to service. I figure the air can't hurt at this stage. It's also nice when the last person to get a pour doesn't end up with sludge in their glass.

we'll definitely post notes.


Wine Canuck: I've got a extra decanters and can lend you a few (3 or 4). They may not be the fancy high end type, hand blown swans and matadors that your crew may be accustomed to, but they hold wine and fit nicely on the table. Email if you want to borrow some.

I agree re: the Initial Rhone schtank that my blow off. Looking forward to your notes.

Cheers,
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
Thanks duojet! I've got a 1994 Dominus that I've been saving. I know she'll love it (and so will I). As for 1974, there's a '74 Barolo I plan to buy from a producer when I'm in Piedmont in a few weeks.

Aaaahhhhhhh! The lightbulb just went on. Therefore the visit to Guasti Clemente in Nizza Monferrato?


Ding ding ding ding ding! Yes, Patricia really enjoyed the '89 Guasti Celmente, and when I emailed them they said they have more of the '89 as well as the '74 vintage. Couldn't have worked out better if I'd planned it.


Good to see we're all on the same page now Big Grin

Looking forward to Sunnylea's update from Nizza Monferrato!

Yes, please do send comments back!
quote:
Originally posted by AML:
I don't want the funk to blow off.


i know how you feel about these things and agree with you on most occasions - if nothing else this could be a learning experience. When we opened the '00 mon aieul 2 weeks ago it was near undrinkable after the cork was pulled but 2 hours later turned into awesome wine with enough funk to rival maggot brain. I dug it.
Thanks for the Offer on the decanters, R. But I'll still be short and dont mind double decanting prior to service.

A, I'm hoping a quick double decant 2 hours prior to service will offer a good balance between removing sediment, allowing these young wines to have some air (think beaucastel) and being short enough not to loose too much funk.
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
1991 R. Lopez de Heredia Rioja Blanco Gran Reserve Vina Tondonia

Very interested to hear how this shows for you, VinT. Please be sure to post feedback once opened.


I've got a silly question: I've got a 2003 Lopez de Heredia yadayadayada Gravonia, rather than Tondonia. What's the difference? (can you tell that my knowledge of Spanish whites is a tad limited? Bow )
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
1991 R. Lopez de Heredia Rioja Blanco Gran Reserve Vina Tondonia

Very interested to hear how this shows for you, VinT. Please be sure to post feedback once opened.


I've got a silly question: I've got a 2003 Lopez de Heredia yadayadayada Gravonia, rather than Tondonia. What's the difference? (can you tell that my knowledge of Spanish whites is a tad limited? Bow )


The vineyard from which the wine comes bman. Tondonia is a 250 acre vineyard in Haro, Gravonia i think is 60 acres and in the town of Zaco.
1980 Freemark Abbey Bosche

I don't really have a lot of hope for it. My brother-in-law stumbled onto it at an estate sale a couple months ago along with 5-6 miscellaneous others and just gave them to me. We opened an '89 Bordeaux (to lazy to look it up, right now) at his place when he handed them over to me, and it wasn't half bad. For the price that I paid, there is nothing but upside potential, here. On the other hand, I will have backup (I'm thinking, probably, a Smith-Madrone), tonight.
Waiting for dinner tonight:

- Vouette et Sorbee Champagne Blanc d’Argile, disgorged 10/12/12 -- have not had this Chardonnay bottling before, but am excited to try it; loved their Saignée, and hoping this will be similar quality

- 2011 Pascal Jolivet Pouilly-Fuissé Indigene

- 2006 Chapoutier Cote-Rotie La Mordorée
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
Waiting for dinner tonight:

- Vouette et Sorbee Champagne Blanc d’Argile, disgorged 10/12/12 -- have not had this Chardonnay bottling before, but am excited to try it; loved their Saignée, and hoping this will be similar quality

- 2011 Pascal Jolivet Pouilly-Fuissé Indigene

- 2006 Chapoutier Cote-Rotie La Mordorée


looking forward to your thoughts on the La Mordoree Seaquam. thanks
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by Bytown Rick:
For our anniversary on the weekend:

1970 Chateau Mouton-Rothschild


Rick


The last '70 Mouton I had was tired. I hope your bottle shows well.

The label is great by one of the greatest artist of the 20th century.


Agree that we are taking a risk that the Mouton is passed its drink before date. But as you say, it is a lovely label. And I have a few alternatives as back-ups just in case Wink .
quote:
Originally posted by Bytown Rick:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by Bytown Rick:
For our anniversary on the weekend:

1970 Chateau Mouton-Rothschild


Rick


The last '70 Mouton I had was tired. I hope your bottle shows well.

The label is great by one of the greatest artist of the 20th century.


Agree that we are taking a risk that the Mouton is passed its drink before date. But as you say, it is a lovely label. And I have a few alternatives as back-ups just in case Wink .
I'd like to know how this bottle shows as well. I continue to try and source bottles from this vintage with good provenance for my wife's birth year.
For tonight, and the next couple of nights:

- 2005 M. Sorrel Hermitage Le Gréal (have not tried this vintage yet; looking forward to it)
- 2005 Delas Cote-Rotie La Landonne
- 2000 and 2001 Le Vieux Donjon Chateauneuf du Pape
- 2003 Domaine Pegau Chateauneuf Cuvee Reservee
- 2001 Janasse Chateauneuf Vieilles Vignes
- 1995 Beaucastel Chateauneuf
- NV Paul Bara Champagne Grand Rosé
- NV Krug Champagne Grande Cuvee
- NV Vilmart Champagne Grand Cellier
- NV Heidsieck Champagne Brut Reserve (last bottle of 2008 disgorgement)

Now, just need a couple of whites and I'm ready for our company.

Oh, and also someone to do the clean up. Smile
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
For tonight, and the next couple of nights:

- 2005 M. Sorrel Hermitage Le Gréal (have not tried this vintage yet; looking forward to it)
- 2005 Delas Cote-Rotie La Landonne
- 2000 and 2001 Le Vieux Donjon Chateauneuf du Pape
- 2003 Domaine Pegau Chateauneuf Cuvee Reservee
- 2001 Janasse Chateauneuf Vieilles Vignes
- 1995 Beaucastel Chateauneuf
- NV Paul Bara Champagne Grand Rosé
- NV Krug Champagne Grande Cuvee
- NV Vilmart Champagne Grand Cellier
- NV Heidsieck Champagne Brut Reserve (last bottle of 2008 disgorgement)

Now, just need a couple of whites and I'm ready for our company.

Oh, and also someone to do the clean up. Smile


No dessert wines?! Spit Shocked and appalled am I, shocked and appalled! Eek
quote:
Originally posted by bman:


No dessert wines?! Spit Shocked and appalled am I, shocked and appalled! Eek



You make a good point, bman. I just didn't take any of those out of my cellar, but once my wife tells me her dessert plans, I'm sure I'll be able to find something. Smile
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
quote:
Originally posted by bman:


No dessert wines?! Spit Shocked and appalled am I, shocked and appalled! Eek



You make a good point, bman. I just didn't take any of those out of my cellar, but once my wife tells me her dessert plans, I'm sure I'll be able to find something. Smile


My faith in you is restored! Wink

Merry Christmas to you and S!!! Winner
2000 Cos d'Estournel. Actually just decanted it to air for a few hours before dinner. Really didn't need to stand it at all. Virtually no sediment in this bottle. The nose is really wonderful. Hope the wine still isn't too young to enjoy... We'll find out in a few hours.

PH
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
2000 Cos d'Estournel. Actually just decanted it to air for a few hours before dinner. Really didn't need to stand it at all. Virtually no sediment in this bottle. The nose is really wonderful. Hope the wine still isn't too young to enjoy... We'll find out in a few hours.

PH

Looking forward to feedback from this evening's tasting
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
For tonight:

2002 Marc Hebrart Special Club (appetizers)
2001 Gunderloch Auslese (spicy calamari)
1998 Haut Brion (grilled veal)
2003 Pegau Da Capo (grilled veal)
1970 Taylor Fladgate VP (cheese)

A couple '98 BdM as backup for the veal just in case.

Cool
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
2006 Robert Foley Claret
2000 Command shiraz
2000 Kirwan
2000 Gruaud Larose
2003 Montelena Estate cab

(only going to open one to go with braised beef ribs but can't decide which!)


All good selections. My pick of that list would be the 2000 Gruaud Larose:

Of the older bottles, I'd give the Command and the Montelena more time. The 2000 Bordeaux that I've had are starting to drink so I'd the one of those that I prefer - the GL.

Bon apetit! Great winter dinner.
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
2000 Cos d'Estournel. Actually just decanted it to air for a few hours before dinner. Really didn't need to stand it at all. Virtually no sediment in this bottle. The nose is really wonderful. Hope the wine still isn't too young to enjoy... We'll find out in a few hours.

PH

How'd this show, PH? Smile
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
1998 Bodegas Vega-Sicilia Ribera del Duero Valbuena 5°
1998 La Rioja Alta Rioja Gran Reserva 890

Nice. I look forward to reading your notes.

I stood both because I wasn't sure what I wanted to take to the restaurant. But I went with the Valbuena, Dok. Took it to LaVinia for my wife's birthday dinner. The wine was in a great place - elegant, great balance, fruit was still bright but there plenty of tertiary interest. I'm pleased that I have a few more.
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
1998 Bodegas Vega-Sicilia Ribera del Duero Valbuena 5°

...The wine was in a great place - elegant, great balance, fruit was still bright but there plenty of tertiary interest. I'm pleased that I have a few more.

Cool appreciated the notes on this, sunnylea.
quote:
Originally posted by Pianist718:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
1998 Bodegas Vega-Sicilia Ribera del Duero Valbuena 5°
1998 La Rioja Alta Rioja Gran Reserva 890


A merchant of my has this (1998 La Rioja Alta Rioja Gran Reserva 890) at $124 ... good price?

That's more or less what I paid last year, but it's really irrelevant. What's relevant is the going rate on bottles available today, and you can check wine searcher just as easily as I can.
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
2000 Pontet Canet
2003 Tour Blanche
1989 Doisy Vedrines


i was eyeing the same three wines

how are they drinking?


The 2003 Pontet Canet was good, one of the better PC's of our PC vertical dinner. Drinking nicely now and has a long way to go.

The 1989 Doisy Vedrines was wondeful, but I like/prefer Sauternes with age on them. I still have a couple of the 1989s but wish I had more.

To me the 2003 Tour Blanche tasted a bit sweet/cloying in comparison beside the Doisy Vedrines. The 2003 Tour Blanche is a great wine but I'd leave it for a few years unless you like younger Sauternes. I had it a couple of years ago on it's own with Foie and it was great. The fruit was fresher then. Now I think it's in a bit of an awkward stage where the fruit isn't quite as fresh but tertiary flavours have yet to show. No rush on this one. I should note that others preferred the 2003 Tour Blanche at our dinner (why I like to serve an old one and a younger one with a larger group).
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
1985 Col d'Orcia Al Vento

If it's anything like the one I had with Longboarder in Montreal, it was an epiphony. Who knew BdM could age soooooo beautifully. It makes me want to hold onto my '01's for a dozen more years!
quote:
Originally posted by sarbuze:
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
1985 Col d'Orcia Al Vento


Nice! Great vintage in Montalcino- how was it?

The wine was outstanding! It was the best Brunello I've had. It's hard to believe it was almost 30 years old. I don't have specific notes. I remember it's youthful color with complex aromatics, smooth texture with plenty of red fruit.

Add Reply

Likes (0)
×
×
×
×