2000 Leoville Poyferre
2002 Lascombes
2006 La Croix St. Georges Pomerol
2001 Beaucastel
2003 Pegau cuvée reservee
quote:
Originally posted by W-MassWineGuy:
Hi everyone,
New poster to the forums. Looking very forward to an '86 Gruaud Larose tomorrow with some friends!

Welcome!

This wine has yielded a lot of discussion on these boards, along with many other '86 Bordeaux. I hope it shows well for you, and post some notes in the "Tasting Notes" section if you get a chance.
quote:
Originally posted by Gkapoor:
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
quote:
Originally posted by Longboarder:
quote:
1997 masseto
1998 masseto
1999 masseto
2001 masseto

Celebration for Madeleine?
yes please Banana

Wink

I cannot wait till Maddie turns one month old to see what is opened. Cool
Had been standing a 1983 Joseph Phelps Cabernet Sauvignon in 3 liter format for a month now in anticipation of Latour67's 70th birthday party which was held last night at Villa Castriotti Restaurant in Memphis. This dinner wasn't necessarily focused on the wines but on the occasion and conversation held within the 20 plus family members and friends in attendance. I brought the 3L of Joseph Phelps because it was the largest format bottle I had and it just seemed to fit the number of people and festive occasion we were having.

The cork that came out of the 83 JP cab came out in two pieces without any crumbling but there were signs of running completely up the sides and to the top of the cork. No signs of seepage though. The wine was still had a great color with just a little sign of bricking on the rim. The nose was a little shy at first but was still showing signs of of brown sugar, herbs and dark, but not overipe fruit. The palate was slightly tired upon pouring but opened up after 10 to fifteen minutes in the glass. There is no mistaken this for a bordeaux because it was all California cab. I believe the large format was definitely on this wines side in this case. Certainly time to drink up since the lively fruits started fading after an hour. Good wine, great evening and absolutely stunning occasion. Blessed to be there to experience it. Ready for number 71 Smile
quote:
Originally posted by max:
Had been standing a 1983 Joseph Phelps Cabernet Sauvignon in 3 liter format for a month now in anticipation of Latour67's 70th birthday party which was held last night at Villa Castriotti Restaurant in Memphis. This dinner wasn't necessarily focused on the wines but on the occasion and conversation held within the 20 plus family members and friends in attendance. I brought the 3L of Joseph Phelps because it was the largest format bottle I had and it just seemed to fit the number of people and festive occasion we were having.

The cork that came out of the 83 JP cab came out in two pieces without any crumbling but there were signs of running completely up the sides and to the top of the cork. No signs of seepage though. The wine was still had a great color with just a little sign of bricking on the rim. The nose was a little shy at first but was still showing signs of of brown sugar, herbs and dark, but not overipe fruit. The palate was slightly tired upon pouring but opened up after 10 to fifteen minutes in the glass. There is no mistaken this for a bordeaux because it was all California cab. I believe the large format was definitely on this wines side in this case. Certainly time to drink up since the lively fruits started fading after an hour. Good wine, great evening and absolutely stunning occasion. Blessed to be there to experience it. Ready for number 71 Smile

max, next time you see Latour, pls pass on best wishes from mrs bman and myself. He is first class.
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
Originally posted by max:

max, next time you see Latour, pls pass on best wishes from mrs bman and myself. He is first class.
Most certainly will.
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
It was a banner day in our household, and to celebrate with our sons success, we'll be standing 1990 Dom Perignon mag, 1986 Lafite, 2001 Harlan, 2001 Masseto and a 2001 Yquem.
Special wines for very special people and achievements.

Mazel Tov to you and your son Dok!
quote:
It was a banner day in our household, and to celebrate with our sons success, we'll be standing 1990 Dom Perignon mag, 1986 Lafite, 2001 Harlan, 2001 Masseto and a 2001 Yquem.

Nothing is warrants a celebration more than the success of our children. Cool Pls pass on the best wishes of mr and mrs bman!
quote:
quote:
It was a banner day in our household, and to celebrate with our sons success.

Nothing warrants celebration more than the success of our children. Cool !Pls pass on the best wishes...

Bravo!
quote:
quote:

Nothing is warrants a celebration more than the success of our children. Cool Pls pass on the best wishes of mr and mrs bman!

Brother, thanks for the text today about the wonderful news. As you know, we were also holding our breath this time last year with our oldest you shared tapas with recently.

We were looking for a reason to try the 2001 Pingus, and tonight we shall toast E.

Bravo, to you and your entire family, bro.
quote:

Congratulations to your son Dok! Hope you have a wonderful celebration.
quote:

Congrats DoktaP Winner
Thanks to all for your kind and sentimental thoughts. That's probably one of the greatest assets of this forum. It's ALWAYS been about the people and camaraderie. In most cases, the wine is just an offshoot and an excuse to share things of value and interest.

Some of the most important and resonating words given to me once was " don't be the type of person who knows the price of everything, but the value of nothing".

I value all your friendships.
quote:
Thanks to all for your kind and sentimental thoughts. That's probably one of the greatest assets of this forum. It's ALWAYS been about the people and camaraderie. In most cases, the wine is just an offshoot and an excuse to share things of value and interest.

Some of the most important and resonating words given to me once was " don't be the type of person who knows the price of everything, but the value of nothing".

I value all your friendships.

So well said. Congratulations to your son. A special bottle soon to continue the celebration.
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
1990 Guigal Hermitage

Had this at my first ever offline two years ago courtesy of Indybob. It was fantastic. Hope yours shows as well!

Thanks. I hope so too.

When will you be getting thee and thy new bride to Toronto?
quote:
For Thursday Night:

1955 Charles Vienot Richebourg Grand Cru
1950 Haut Brion
1954 Cune Vina Real Gran Reserva
1955 Montrose
1985 Vieue Cliquot Rose Brut Reserve (Magnum)

Plus a couple others not yet identified.

Going to be a very good week.

Eek
Going to Mecca
quote:
quote:
For Thursday Night:

1950 Haut Brion
1955 Montrose

Eek
Going to Mecca

...and with a vestal virgin as well. Wink
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
quote:
For Thursday Night:

1950 Haut Brion
1955 Montrose

Eek
Going to Mecca

I hate when you call me vestal ;-)
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
For Thursday Night:

1950 Haut Brion
1955 Montrose

Eek
Going to Mecca

I hate when you call me vestal ;-)

I have been going to Bern's since the early 80's, and I still enjoy it a great deal when we have a virgin at the table. Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:
quote:
For an off-line on Wednesday night.

1949 Calon Segur
1942 Vega Sicilia Unico

Others TBD.

Speechless. Bow

I'm attending off-lines on Wednesday and Thursday this week. We should enjoy a few special bottles for sure if all are showing well.
Today I will stand up a couple of cases of wine for my Renewal of Vows one week from tomorrow.

There will be Unico's, L'Ermita's, Champagne on top of Champagnes, LaLa's, Bordeaux and many others.

I truly want there to be something everyone enjoys a great deal.
quote:
Today I will stand up a couple of cases of wine for my Renewal of Vows one week from tomorrow.

There will be Unico's, L'Ermita's, Champagne on top of Champagnes, LaLa's, Bordeaux and many others.

Ummm, pretty sure you've got that covered..... Eek Bow Winner
quote:
quote:

+1 congratuations and have a verymemorable and heartfelt experience on such a special event.
quote:
quote:

bman,

If you were attending rest assured, I would open something from Australia from my cellar. Smile
quote:
quote:
quote:

bman,

If you were attending rest assured, I would open something from Australia from my cellar. Smile

Spit Spit Spit

Unless you own some Grange - and probably not even then - I doubt you allow anything from south of the equator to infest your cellar! Ack Wink
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

bman,

Spit Spit Spit

Unless you own some Grange - and probably not even then - I doubt you allow anything from south of the equator to infest your cellar! Ack Wink

Grange, yes, and a few others as well.

I just hope no one stops in my house and wants to drink Zin from after 1999. That I do not have. Wink
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

bman,

Spit Spit Spit

Grange, yes, and a few others as well.

I just hope no one stops in my house and wants to drink Zin from after 1999. That I do not have. Wink

(note to self - put Dallas and Santa Fe back on the "to-visit" list......)
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
I'll be going to go grab a '77 Fonseca from the cellar to stand up tonight or tomorrow for consumption on Friday night. I'm thinking at least a 24 hour slow-ox? G-man?

We had a 77 Niepoort at the Montreal offline last week. I double decanted it the night before, left it in the open decanter overnight, then put it back into the bottle the next morning and corked it. It was beautiful and won praise from the table.

I've been decanting port in that manner for a while now and almost always find it's the way to go. When there is port left a day or two later (yes, it happens! Spit) it is almost always better than port we've decanted for less time.
quote:
quote:
1961 Brane Cantenac.

If your bottle is showing well, still a fabulous bottle of wine.
Good luck.

We shall see. This will be the second of a trio, and I hope it is as good as #1.
Vin, many of the older Brane-Cantenacs were released by the winery years after bottling. I'va had bunch of them back to the 1935 vintage. All have been in great shape. I think I still have a few from the 1940s and 1950s. The 1961 is one of the longer-lived wines from that vintage in my experience.
quote:
Originally posted by Wineplease:
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
1986 Latour
1945 Calon Segur
2004 Sassicaia

Are these for the upcoming offline? Maybe I should crash the party then Big Grin

Nice line-up.

Smile these are actually gonna be split up amongst two offlines, along with a couple bottles of 1990 Dom Perignon which are still resting on their side.
quote:
quote:
I found a 1995 Chateau Rayas CdP Reserve in the cellar I'm going to open with our Rob Sutherland dish on Sunday.

Just decanted the wine. Smells glorious.

Now I feel on the spot! There isn't a lot of food that would be better than that wine!
quote:
Probably doesn't need standing, but 2003 Delas Frères Hermitage Les Bessards.

A great wine, and a true bargain in quality N. Rhone. I bought 2, drank 1, and wish I had bought a case. (I know, I know… how may times do we all say that? Smile). Enjoy.
1954 C.V.N.E. (Compañía Vinícola del Norte de España) Rioja Imperial Gran Reserva
1961 R. López de Heredia Rioja Gran Reserva Viña Tondonia
1964 C.V.N.E. (Compañía Vinícola del Norte de España) Rioja Viña Real Reserva Especial
1970 C.V.N.E. (Compañía Vinícola del Norte de España) Rioja Viña Real Gran Reserva
1970 C.V.N.E. (Compañía Vinícola del Norte de España) Rioja Imperial Gran Reserva
1970 R. López de Heredia Rioja Gran Reserva Viña Tondonia
1972 Bodegas Vega-Sicilia Ribera del Duero Único
1973 R. López de Heredia Rioja Gran Reserva Viña Bosconia
1981 R. López de Heredia Rioja Gran Reserva Viña Bosconia
1981 R. López de Heredia Rioja Gran Reserva Viña Tondonia
1991 R. López de Heredia Rioja Gran Reserva Viña Bosconia
1991 R. López de Heredia Rioja Gran Reserva Viña Tondonia
1994 C.V.N.E. (Compañía Vinícola del Norte de España) Rioja Imperial Gran Reserva
1994 R. López de Heredia Rioja Gran Reserva Viña Tondonia

Banana
quote:
Originally posted by AML:
1954 C.V.N.E. (Compañía Vinícola del Norte de España) Rioja Imperial Gran Reserva
1961 R. López de Heredia Rioja Gran Reserva Viña Tondonia
1964 C.V.N.E. (Compañía Vinícola del Norte de España) Rioja Viña Real Reserva Especial
1970 C.V.N.E. (Compañía Vinícola del Norte de España) Rioja Viña Real Gran Reserva
1970 C.V.N.E. (Compañía Vinícola del Norte de España) Rioja Imperial Gran Reserva
1970 R. López de Heredia Rioja Gran Reserva Viña Tondonia
1972 Bodegas Vega-Sicilia Ribera del Duero Único
1973 R. López de Heredia Rioja Gran Reserva Viña Bosconia
1981 R. López de Heredia Rioja Gran Reserva Viña Bosconia
1981 R. López de Heredia Rioja Gran Reserva Viña Tondonia
1991 R. López de Heredia Rioja Gran Reserva Viña Bosconia
1991 R. López de Heredia Rioja Gran Reserva Viña Tondonia
1994 C.V.N.E. (Compañía Vinícola del Norte de España) Rioja Imperial Gran Reserva
1994 R. López de Heredia Rioja Gran Reserva Viña Tondonia

Banana

Winner What's the occasion?
Thanks for the comments, guys. Really looking forward to tasting through this series of wines. We will also be doing two Cava, and two whites:

2000 Recaredo Cava Turo d'en Mota
2001 Recaredo Reserva Particular
1981 R. López de Heredia Rioja Blanco Gran Reserva Viña Tondonia
1991 R. López de Heredia Rioja Blanco Gran Reserva Viña Tondonia

Originally I did have a tapas restaurant lined up, but it ended up falling through due to some issues with the glassware late last week. Luckily, I had some foresight and touched base with another restaurant before hand.

Will have plenty of pictures and notes up after the 8th!
quote:
Thanks for the comments, guys. Really looking forward to tasting through this series of wines. We will also be doing two Cava, and two whites:

2000 Recaredo Cava Turo d'en Mota
2001 Recaredo Reserva Particular
1981 R. López de Heredia Rioja Blanco Gran Reserva Viña Tondonia

Originally I did have a tapas restaurant lined up, but it ended up falling through due to some issues with the glassware late last week. Luckily, I had some foresight and touched base with another restaurant before hand.

Will have plenty of pictures and notes up after the 8th!

I am so pumped for this! Cool
quote:

Enjoyed this last November greatly. Paired with a roasted butternut squash tossed with penne, roasted onion, pancetta, sage and shaved Parmigiano. One of the magical pairings of the year for me. The wine was VERY good, but the pairing pushed this way over the top for our group. Just a thought! Cool

PH
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:

Enjoyed this last November greatly. Paired with a roasted butternut squash tossed with penne, roasted onion, pancetta, sage and shaved Parmigiano. One of the magical pairings of the year for me. The wine was VERY good, but the pairing pushed this way over the top for our group. Just a thought! Cool

PH

As it happens, I just picked up a bottle of the 2003. Guessing I should let it sleep a little longer, if not a lot longer.
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
quote:
Originally posted by W-MassWineGuy:
1998 Jadot Clos de la Roche

Fingers crossed.

Interested in the notes when you pop this one.

VC - I just posted in the Tasting Notes section. It was a good wine that pulled together nicely on day two.
quote:
Originally posted by Chard:
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
1982 Bodegas Olarra Anares Reserva Rioja

Not quite sure what to expect but I am hoping it will be more than decent. Crossing fingers.

How was this DD?

Chard,
This was drinkable but clearly over the hill (and storage wasn't ideal with a saturated cork three quarters up) if using Bordeaux as a baseline since I have no experience with Spanish wines. The nose was more interesting with a little bit of fruit and flower garden than the taste which seemed tired.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Chard:
quote:
1982 Bodegas Olarra Anares Reserva Rioja

Not quite sure what to expect but I am hoping it will be more than decent. Crossing fingers.

How was this DD?

Chard,
This was drinkable but clearly over the hill (and storage wasn't ideal with a saturated cork three quarters up) if using Bordeaux as a baseline since I have no experience with Spanish wines. The nose was more interesting with a little bit of fruit and flower garden than the taste which seemed tired.

Thanks, I have went through a few 06's as of late and they have been very nice but not a Rioja that comes across as needing (lasting) decades of cellar time.
1995 Maison Roche de Bellene Chambolle-Musigny Vieilles Vignes
1996 Maison Roche de Bellene Chambolle-Musigny Vieilles Vignes
1999 Maison Roche de Bellene Chambolle-Musigny Vieilles Vignes
2000 Maison Roche de Bellene Chambolle-Musigny Vieilles Vignes
2001 Maison Roche de Bellene Chambolle-Musigny Vieilles Vignes
2002 Maison Roche de Bellene Chambolle-Musigny Vieilles Vignes
Going to have to start giving this subject some consideration. Mrs. max and I's 24th wedding anniversary is coming up in later June. We always do a 90 vintage themed dinner. 2 wines I know for sure will be served is a 90 Krug and a 90 Schloss Schonborn Auslese Riesling. Need to start thinking about the reds. I have plenty of 90 vintage rhone and bordeaux but need to source a good 90 vintage burgundy to bridge the gap between white and heavy red. Have no clue where all the burgundy went that I once had. Must have drank them all Smile
Debating whether to have the 99 Kirwan with prime rib roast tonight or with rack of lamb in a couple of days.

Meanwhile, the 91 Gould Campbell was just decanted and so I am selflessly testing it to see if it is corked or otherwise off - might need a second glass to be sure...... Banana
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
quote:
762 bottles yesterday. Unpacked from the move and sorting and doing inventory. Will all be laying back down tomorrow. Except one. Decisions, decisions...

PH

1996 krug to christen the place sounds like a good choice

A bottle that still eludes me...but the 90' Krug CdM I opened to christen my new place will be my WOTY Im quite certain.
quote:
762 bottles yesterday. Unpacked from the move and sorting and doing inventory. Will all be laying back down tomorrow. Except one. Decisions, decisions...

PH

Cool

Um, try not to get mine mixed up and lost, eh? Razz

BTW, now that you've settled, I may have a box headed your way in time for me to pick up (and share of course) Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:

Your what? Seriously, had some girls over yesterday and they needed some Spanish wine to make sangria with. I told them to grab anything they liked.... Red Face Eek LOL

BTW, now that you've settled, I may have a box headed your way in time for me to pick up (and share of course) Big Grin

No problemo. Just let me know. My business address is probably better than home, especially if a signature is going to be required. I'll make sure you have it soon.

PH
quote:
quote:

Your what? Seriously, had some girls over yesterday and they needed some Spanish wine to make sangria with. I told them to grab anything they liked.... Red Face Eek LOL

No problemo. Just let me know. My business address is probably better than home, especially if a signature is going to be required. I'll make sure you have it soon.

PH

You're saying girls, plural, right? Wink
quote:
You're[/b] saying girls, plural, right? Wink

Only two, w+a. Only two.

And KSC, your Priorat is safe Razz No sangria was actually made. My last bottle of 1998 Krug, a 1996 Henriot Enchanteleurs and three 375s of assorted Bordeaux were consumed. Oh.... and vodka, a couple beers early and for some inexplicable reason, a 1999 Delesvaux SGN got quaffed. I'm getting too old for this shit....

PH
quote:
My last bottle of 1998 Krug, a 1996 Henriot Enchanteleurs and three 375s of assorted Bordeaux were consumed. Oh.... and vodka, a couple beers early and for some inexplicable reason, a 1999 Delesvaux SGN got quaffed. I'm getting too old for this shit....

PH

I always thought that Billecart Salmon Rose was your IPR of choice. You went very serious this round, PH. However, from your email it seems it was worth it Cool
quote:
quote:
My last bottle of 1998 Krug, a 1996 Henriot Enchanteleurs and three 375s of assorted Bordeaux were consumed. Oh.... and vodka, a couple beers early and for some inexplicable reason, a 1999 Delesvaux SGN got quaffed. I'm getting too old for this shit....

PH

I always thought that Billecart Salmon Rose was your IPR of choice. You went very serious this round, PH. However, from your email it seems it was worth it Cool

You haven't lived until you've sucked sticky Chenin out of a woman's navel.

And you're right, BS Rose works 100% of the time 100% of the time.

Add Reply

Likes (0)