quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
1978 Mondavi Reserve

Please post notes. I've got a collection of 1978 CA Cabs I'm holding for a horizontal, including a Mondavi Reserve.

Board-O I had it from magnum recently and it was singing. Everything you'd expect from an aged Cali Cab. It still had plenty of life left ahead of it too.
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
1995 Casanove di Neri Cerretalto

PH

Eek Very much looking forward to notes on this one. Hope it shows well friend.

Thank you, sir. This is one of 2 bottles of this wine that I'd originally planned on bringing to the 2007 Philly Brunello Offline. I let it sit, and instead (stupidly) sourced 2 more from a local DC store for the offline. Both of the newly acquired bottles were awful. The twin to the one I'll open this Wednesday was shared with the friend I brought to the Chicago Italian offline who you met. We both agreed that it was off the charts good. I'm hoping for something similar this week. Fingers crossed.

PH
bytownrick posted:
csm posted:

1987 Dunn Napa Valley

Have you tried this side-by-side with the Howell Mountain?  I would be interested in hearing about how they compare.

I haven't actually, but I opened it up a while back with some of the locals and while it wasn't as good as the HM, no one thought it was much behind it.  Might be the vintage though, as it's actually the only Napa Valley I've had.  

csm posted:
bytownrick posted:
csm posted:

1987 Dunn Napa Valley

Have you tried this side-by-side with the Howell Mountain?  I would be interested in hearing about how they compare.

I haven't actually, but I opened it up a while back with some of the locals and while it wasn't as good as the HM, no one thought it was much behind it.  Might be the vintage though, as it's actually the only Napa Valley I've had.  

Thanks.

bytownrick posted:
csm posted:
bytownrick posted:
csm posted:

1987 Dunn Napa Valley

Thanks.

A few years back I attended a Dunn vertical blind tasting hosted by Toronto Vintners. It was supposed to be all Napa Valley, but it was revealed afterward that there were a few bottles of the HM thrown into the mix:

1991 Napa Valley
2002 Napa Valley
2003 Napa Valley
2004 Napa Valley
2005 Napa Valley
2006 Howell Mountain
2007 Howell Mountain
2008 Napa Valley
2009 Napa Valley

IIRC, the Napa wines showed as well as, or better than, the two HM bottles. Granted ALL the wines were extremely young, but there wasn't much difference between the NV and HM in either quality or profile. 

sunnylea57 posted:
bytownrick posted:
csm posted:
bytownrick posted:
csm posted:

1987 Dunn Napa Valley

Thanks.

A few years back I attended a Dunn vertical blind tasting hosted by Toronto Vintners. It was supposed to be all Napa Valley, but it was revealed afterward that there were a few bottles of the HM thrown into the mix:

1991 Napa Valley
2002 Napa Valley
2003 Napa Valley
2004 Napa Valley
2005 Napa Valley
2006 Howell Mountain
2007 Howell Mountain
2008 Napa Valley
2009 Napa Valley

IIRC, the Napa wines showed as well as, or better than, the two HM bottles. Granted ALL the wines were extremely young, but there wasn't much difference between the NV and HM in either quality or profile. 

Thanks S.

The last post in this thread was mid-July? Seriously?

Standing for tonight:

1997 Isole e Olena Cepparello
1999 Fattoria di Felsina Berardenga Chianti Classico Riserva Rancia
1984 Aldo Conterno Langhe Nebbiolo Il Favot

The last one will be a total crapshoot. Probably DOA but it'll be fun to find out. Any bets?

sunnylea57 posted:

Standing for tonight:

The last one will be a total crapshoot. Probably DOA but it'll be fun to find out. Any bets?

Survivor Premier/Big Brother Finale Party?

bman posted:
sunnylea57 posted:

Standing for tonight:

Survivor Premier/Big Brother Finale Party?

Proud to say I've never watched Big Brother, not even a few seconds of it. I've seen a few episodes of Survivor, but the last time I watched it was season 1. I remember Richard Hatch was on it.

patespo1 posted:

1973 Heitz Martha's Vineyard 

1973 BV Georges des Latour

1973 Charles Krug Reserve

1973 Chateau Margaux

Having a bit of a birthday dinner on Friday

Happy Birthday to whoever is having a birthday!    I'll be there a little early.

What food do you have planned for these wines?

PH

purplehaze posted:
patespo1 posted:

1973 Chateau Margaux

Happy Birthday to whoever is having a birthday!    I'll be there a little early.

PH

My birthday was on the 10th, just dragging things out a bit....

It's a five course meal that isn't necessarily designed around the wines, but we are having NY Strips for the main and a chocolate dessert to finish.  Will post notes after.

And BTW, a dinner with the DC crew is in order, hopefully sooner than later!

patespo1 posted:
purplehaze posted:
patespo1 posted:

1973 Chateau Margaux

PH

My birthday was on the 10th, just dragging things out a bit....

It's a five course meal that isn't necessarily designed around the wines, but we are having NY Strips for the main and a chocolate dessert to finish.  Will post notes after.

And BTW, a dinner with the DC crew is in order, hopefully sooner than later!

Looking forward to some impressions.  Hope the night goes well.   

PH

01FACB71-98AA-4547-91B4-EA18EC1184B783122668-6987-4485-A092-1A529B425C977730F0DE-222D-4BA5-AB76-354D91C6C7B5Had a really fun night with some good friends.  Ended up switching the Margaux for ‘73 Jaboulet-Vercherre Vosne Romanée.  Solid, took a while to open, but when it did it had an interesting iron/blood note to it.  Fruit still present but fading.

The Charles Krug still had plenty of fruit and a cherry tobacco note on the nose and palate (someone commented ‘Smells like a swisher sweet cigar from back in the day).

The BV tasted a lot better than it smelled;  I thought it was DOA but still had a bit of life. Underwhelming compared to the ‘75 we had recently.

The Heitz MV was a show stopper, one of the best wines I’ve had this year.  Amazingly youthful, brilliant color (pic attached).  Plenty of red fruit, licorice, and earth on the palate, with a beautiful nose.  I didn’t catch any eucalyptus as the MV is known for, but it didn’t disappoint. Would love to find another one of these.  

We started with an ‘07 Ridge SANTA Cruz Mnt Chard that still had plenty of acidity to play off of the roundness that it is now displaying. Beautiful wine. 

Attachments

Photos (3)
sunnylea57 posted:

1994 Burgess Cab Sauv
1997 Jaboulet La Chapelle
1997 Gaja Sperss
1998 Bruno Giacosa Barolo Falletto di Serralunga d'Alba (white label)

All standing, although all won't be opened. I'll see which way the wind blows.

Interesting mix

bomba503 posted:

1977 Taylor Vintage Port 

3 Liter 2006 Hall Napa Cab 

big storm brewing tomorrow night...... Big Storm

Isn't it funny how things work out.  I'll get to taste the Taylor you bought from me.  But no worries - I'm sure I'll return the favor some time!

For my part, standing a 1991 Stag's Leap Wine Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Cask 23  mag.

Add Reply

Likes (0)