What older bottle(s) have you stood up recently? For a special occasion? For no reason in particular?

For newer folks, older wines with sediment should be stood up in a vibration-free area for a period of time (I like a week or two, some do more), so the particulate matter can settle out. Then, the wine can be carefully poured into a decanter for drinking, leaving the gunk at the bottom, where it belongs. The sediment won't hurt you of course, it's just not that fun to drink.

Just stood up a 1988 Leoville Las Cases yesterday. Very excited to try this one, and I'll find a nice day in September to have it with my wife.
Original Post
I have the following standing up in my offsite that are waiting for the right meal to be consumed with:

1985 Château Rausan-Ségla
1989 Domenico Clerico Barolo Ciabot Mentin Ginestra
1991 R. López de Heredia Rioja Gran Reserva Viña Bosconia
Not really answering the question, thristy man.

I stood up a 1998 Leonetti Walla Walla Cab recently. We'll see how it goes - I hope it's not over the hill. Forgot I had it - whoops.
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
I have the following standing up in my offsite that are waiting for the right meal to be consumed with:

1985 Château Rausan-Ségla
1989 Domenico Clerico Barolo Ciabot Mentin Ginestra
1991 R. López de Heredia Rioja Gran Reserva Viña Bosconia


Do you have reservations about decanting there, then hauling the decanter to your home/party, whatever? I assume you're not planning on eating dinner at offsite.
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
Do you have reservations about decanting there, then hauling the decanter to your home/party, whatever? I assume you're not planning on eating dinner at offsite.


Why would he have to decant at the storage facility? As long as he transports them to the meal stable and standing up, it shouldn't stir up too much sediment.
quote:
Originally posted by aml:
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
Do you have reservations about decanting there, then hauling the decanter to your home/party, whatever? I assume you're not planning on eating dinner at offsite.


Why would he have to decant at the storage facility? As long as he transports them to the meal stable and standing up, it shouldn't stir up too much sediment.
Exactly.
Excellent. Perhaps I've been a little more anal retentive about this process than I should be. Hope they show well for you Glenn.
I acutally stand it up offsite,
drink when i get there to ensure that the wine is appropriately transported without sediment when I arrive at dinner and order the bottle off the wine list.
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
quote:
Originally posted by aml:
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
Do you have reservations about decanting there, then hauling the decanter to your home/party, whatever? I assume you're not planning on eating dinner at offsite.


Why would he have to decant at the storage facility? As long as he transports them to the meal stable and standing up, it shouldn't stir up too much sediment.
Exactly.

I don't know. I've heard crazy stories about Glenn's driving. Razz
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
What older bottle(s) have you stood up recently? For a special occasion? For no reason in particular?

For newer folks, older wines with sediment should be stood up in a vibration-free area for a period of time settle


Are you standing up oldies only? Just wondering cause i just Recently had a fairly young 07 Napa Cab that had sediment to my surprise.i assume the standing time would vary dramatically given your much older wines must have a lot more fine sediment. Sorry if this seems like an obvious question.
Two bottles destined for an upcoming weekend and one just waiting for the right occasion

1989 Montrose
1997 Alvaro Palacios L'Ermita
1999 Casanova di Neri BdM Cerretalto
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
Two bottles destined for an upcoming weekend and one just waiting for the right occasion

1989 Montrose
1997 Alvaro Palacios L'Ermita
1999 Casanova di Neri BdM Cerretalto


Smile

Mmmmm! Please post notes on the CdN!

RightBankFan, an '07 seems a little young to spin much sediment, but who knows? I'm sure much depends on how it was made: Filtered vs. unfiltered. But, I suppose I stand wines once they hit about 8-10 years, but maybe someone else has a better rule of thumb?
quote:
Originally posted by Redhawk:
I like the crunchy stuff at the bottom of the glass.

Do you like your coffee that way as well? Smile
quote:
Originally posted by BRR:
Not really answering the question, thristy man.

I stood up a 1998 Leonetti Walla Walla Cab recently. We'll see how it goes - I hope it's not over the hill. Forgot I had it - whoops.


I have some '98 Leonetti as well.

Never thought about it being past prime. Eek
W+A please post notes on the Beaucastel. Have had this wine twice in the past year (once with great provenance, the other unknown) and both times it was extreme brett that did not subside. Would be interested in your opinion? thanks in advance.
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
W+A please post notes on the Beaucastel. Have had this wine twice in the past year (once with great provenance, the other unknown) and both times it was extreme brett that did not subside. Would be interested in your opinion? thanks in advance.


Will do...
I'll be standing some (much) older Lafites and Cheval Blanc for "said upcoming weekend". I'm still trying to twist an arm or two to make a cameo appearance Wink
1986 and 88 Lynch Bages; 1988 Mouton; 1995 Montelena, 1999 Tollot-Beaut Beaune Greves; 2001 Provenance Oakville; 2001 Whitehall Lane; 2001 Seavey
I have several cases standing up waiting to be consumed. Some bottles have been standing up for over a year, which makes me wonder if I should lay some of them back down again. The problem is, every time I think about opening, say, a 1997 Napa cab, I then win something much older at auction, and the 1997 goes back to the end of the line. Confused
Java, I'd wager that the average age of your cellar is older than 99% of forumites. Maybe 100%? Do you have a bottle that you wouldn't stand up before consumption?

Smile
I only stand up wines >20 years old, which are relatively rare experiences for me. For anything younger (most cabs 10-15 years old, etc) I just pull out of the racks carefully and decant right away. Sediment tends to stick to the side of the bottle and is rarely a problem.

Currently I do have an 89 Pichon Lalande standing up for this weekend.
IB, I don't keep any records on my cellar. Half the fun is rummaging around and discovering some long-forgotten bottle. So I don't know the average age, or even the total size, of my collection, although I suspect the total size ranks in the lower half of forumites.

Just for fun, I took a quick inventory of everything standing up at the moment:

(1) 1966 Sauternes
(1) 1968 Cal CS
(1) 1969 Cal CS
(1) 1970 Sauternes
(1) 1973 Barolo
(1) 1975 Bdx
(1) 1976 Bdx
(1) 1978 Bdx
(3) 1979 Bdx
(1) 1980 Sauternes
(1) 1981 Cal CS
(2) 1983 Cal CS
(3) 1983 Bdx
(3) 1985 Bdx
(1) 1985 Sauternes
(1) 1987 Cal CS
(1) 1990 Cal CS
(1) 1991 Cal CS
(6) 1992 Cal CS
(1) 1992 Bdx
(2) 1993 Cal CS
(1) 1993 Burgundy
(2) 1993 Bdx
(2) 1994 Cal CS
(1) 1994 Bdx
(3) 1995 Cal CS
(1) 1995 Bdx
(1) 1995 Cal Rhone-style blend
(2) 1996 Cal CS
(1) 1996 Oregon PN
(1) 1996 BDM
(1) 1996 Rhone
(1) 1996 Aussie CS
(3) 1997 Cal CS
(6) 1997 Cal zinfandel
(1) 1997 Cal petite syrah
(1) 1997 Cal PN
(1) 1998 Cal Rhone-style blend
(1) 1999 Oregon PN
(1) 1999 Montepulciano
last and probably least:
(1) 2005 Clos du Bois Zinfandel
and for cooking:
(1) 2009 Charles Shaw Merlot

Wow, that's more than five cases of wine that needs to be drunk yesterday, or yesterdecade! Smile
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by BRR:
Not really answering the question, thristy man.

I stood up a 1998 Leonetti Walla Walla Cab recently. We'll see how it goes - I hope it's not over the hill. Forgot I had it - whoops.


I have some '98 Leonetti as well.

Never thought about it being past prime. Eek


I don't imagine it will be, but I had a couple of mid-90s Leonetti Cabs from my dad's cellar that were a little tired within the last year. Very possibly could be a storage issue there, though.
My offsite storage is an hour away, and things get pretty well stirred up during the ride. So I try to give bottles 3 weeks or more standing up before I pop the corks.

I'm with thirsty man on this one. I usually have about 3 cases of various stuff standing up. Right now that group includes:

1991s: Forman, Beringer Reserve, Mondavi Reserve, Hess & Silverado
1990 Pichon Longueville
1990 Mondavi Reserve
2004 Leroy Bourgogne
1987 Forman
2001, 2003-2005 Concha y Toro Don Melchor
Old Laurel Glens: '86, '91, '92, '95 & '96
2001-2004 Neal Family cabs
Plus a bunch of other younger/lesser stuff in which I usually find a little sediment that I just have at the ready for a "Tuesday night"- like the 2007 Domaine Garrigue CdR Cuvee Romaine.

I try to keep a nice variety in the mix & at the ready.
1987 Montelena estate cab
1985 guigal la landonne (to be opened next weekend with my wife at our fav restaurant in LA)
1966 montrose
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
I'm still trying to twist an arm or two to make a cameo appearance Wink

Cool


Checking into airfares...... Wink

Currently standing are:

-77 Dow
-77 Gould Campbell
-83 Gould Campbell
-08 Noon
-09 Carnival of Love
-06 l'Aventure Cote a Cote
-98 Baron de Pichon-Longueville (yes, really....)

One port and one dry will die to mark the first football Sunday of the season! Cool
Not sure yet, but need to make my mind up soon. Just made offline arrangements today for this coming wednesday with Shaferguy91, Latour67 and a couple others. Smile
1991 La Mouline
1996 Conterno Cicala

I've got a 1990 Yquem slated for consumption, but I usually don't stand up Sauternes nearly as long. I've never had problems with sediment in Sauternes, and I rarely decant them.
quote:
1991 La Mouline
1996 Conterno Cicala

I've got a 1990 Yquem slated for consumption, but I usually don't stand up Sauternes nearly as long. I've never had problems with sediment in Sauternes, and I rarely decant them.

Must be a special occassion. Enjoy
quote:
Originally posted by Gkapoor:
1987 Montelena estate cab
1985 guigal la landonne (to be opened next weekend with my wife at our fav restaurant in LA)
1966 montrose


Just added 1983 Palmer to the above list.
Well, I stood a bottle up last night for Wednesday's offline. I wish I had at least another week of stand time but 5 days will have to do. I will reveal what the bottle is after Wednesday since this offline may turn into a blind tasting and Shaferguy91 frequents this board. Smile
quote:
Just added 1983 Palmer to the above list.

Some (experts) would say the '83 Palmer is the wine of the vintage. I've enjoyed it 4 times, but found significant bottle variation.
quote:
Originally posted by Gkapoor:
quote:
Originally posted by stickman:
1991 La Mouline


In my top 3 of all time Stickman, hope it shows well for u!


Incredible wine. Had one a couple of years back courtesy of the generous DoktaP.
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
quote:
Just added 1983 Palmer to the above list.

Some (experts) would say the '83 Palmer is the wine of the vintage. I've enjoyed it 4 times, but found significant bottle variation.


Were they all from your cellar? And did the better bottles validate the "experts"?

Thanks in advance for your response!
Yes, they were all from the same case. The best bottle validated the ebobs of the world, and the rest were just, "meh". Not corked or madeirized, just not what I was expecting from a Margaux region in terms of style and finesse.
Last edited by doktap
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
quote:
1991 La Mouline

I've got a 1990 Yquem slated for consumption, but I usually don't stand up Sauternes nearly as long. I've never had problems with sediment in Sauternes, and I rarely decant them.

Must be a special occassion. Enjoy

We're gonna' make it one! Smile The Barolo will be for a different occasion, but the Guigal will be accompanied by some of my other favorite Rhone-varietals from around the world (definitely to include SQN). I just didn't list them because I'm not standing them up nearly as long.
quote:
Originally posted by Gkapoor:
quote:
Originally posted by stickman:
1991 La Mouline

In my top 3 of all time Stickman, hope it shows well for u!

Thanks. My hopes are very high. I'll certainly post notes. Smile
quote:
Just stood up a 1988 Leoville Las Cases yesterday. Very excited to try this one, and I'll find a nice day in September to have it with my wife.


Just had this a few weeks ago and you're in for a treat. Just beginning to enter its drinking window IMO.
At the moment

1996 Cheval Blanc
1985 Taylor Fladgate Port
1995 Château Beau-Séjour Bécot
1997 Fattoria Le Pupille Scansano
1998 Bosquet des Papes Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Grenache
quote:
Originally posted by dinwiddie:
1998 Bosquet des Papes Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Grenache


Never heard of it. Do they still make it?
I have a 1991 Clos du Val Estate Bottled Cabernet Sauvignon standing right now.

Also, I have a 1949 Francesco Rinaldi Barolo standing as well, but I need advice from anyone here with experience with old Barolos of this nature. Would you guys pop and pour this wine letting it make whatever transformation it may make, good or bad? Or, would you slow-o it in the afternoon to be served that evening?
I'd pop and pour, max. Maybe decant for sediment. I'd want to tast this wine as soon as it hit air to check it out.

PH
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
All of this older Bordeaux talk has me yearning for one as well.

1947 Calon Segur.


I really want to see tasting notes on this!
I've had both the '94 and '97 Graham this year, both in 375 ml. I thought the '97 was more forward, certainly softer, but both were great wines.

I'm not talking you out of it. You already know it will improve for a long time still, but unless you have only one bottle, it's kind of a treat to experience the sheer intensity of a young Port-- sometimes it almost hurts the palate.
Some 10 year cheddar just came into our market, and after tasting it I thought it craved port.

Our first cold front is rolling in this weekend, and I love to celebrate the cooler weather with a nice port and cigar (not necessarily together).
quote:
Originally posted by NolanE:
About to put up a 1994 Graham's.

Anyone want to talk me out of it?


Does it even need to be stood? Wink
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
All of this older Bordeaux talk has me yearning for one as well.

1947 Calon Segur.


Now ready to open for our anniversary, and hoping for the best.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
All of this older Bordeaux talk has me yearning for one as well.

1947 Calon Segur.


Now ready to open for our anniversary, and hoping for the best.


Happy Anniversary. Hope it shows well.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
1947 Calon Segur

Now ready to open for our anniversary, and hoping for the best.

Cool Happy Anniversary to you & D.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
All of this older Bordeaux talk has me yearning for one as well.

1947 Calon Segur.


Now ready to open for our anniversary, and hoping for the best.


Congratulations on your anniversary!

Sorry about the 11th or 12th. Would have been fun.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
All of this older Bordeaux talk has me yearning for one as well.

1947 Calon Segur.


Now ready to open for our anniversary, and hoping for the best.

Happy Anniversary!
quote:
Originally posted by SD-Wineaux:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
All of this older Bordeaux talk has me yearning for one as well.

1947 Calon Segur.


Now ready to open for our anniversary, and hoping for the best.

Happy Anniversary!


Thank you...tomorrow night will be our celebration.

See you next week!
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
All of this older Bordeaux talk has me yearning for one as well.

1947 Calon Segur.


Now ready to open for our anniversary, and hoping for the best.


Congratulations, and my condolences to your wife for putting up with you all these years Razz
quote:
Originally posted by Gkapoor:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
All of this older Bordeaux talk has me yearning for one as well.

1947 Calon Segur.


Now ready to open for our anniversary, and hoping for the best.


Congratulations, and my condolences to your wife for putting up with you all these years Razz


There are roads that must be traveled before sainthood. Wink
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
1990 Guigal, Hermitage


Nice!


Smile It'll be my second. Having with good friends later this fall.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by Gkapoor:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
All of this older Bordeaux talk has me yearning for one as well.

1947 Calon Segur.


Now ready to open for our anniversary, and hoping for the best.


Congratulations, and my condolences to your wife for putting up with you all these years Razz


There are roads that must be traveled before sainthood. Wink


Touché Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
1990 Guigal, Hermitage


Nice!


Smile It'll be my second. Having with good friends later this fall.

You post got me yearning, IB and after checking on W-S, found a good deal on a few. I couldn't resist. Here's to your bottle showing well.
Congrats W+A....If Oct 1st is your anniversary date..you share it with my wifes b-day. Hope you had a wonderful night!
quote:
Originally posted by marcb7:
Congrats W+A....If Oct 1st is your anniversary date..you share it with my wifes b-day. Hope you had a wonderful night!


Happy Birthday to your bride, Marcb7.

Our anniversary was last week, but my wife was still in London, thus celebrating yesterday and today.

Our dating anniversary is later this month, so a lot of celebrating this month. Cool
Hope yours shows well K! I see '90 Guigal listed online for quite a bit less than the $105 I paid locally, or rather traded straight across for a '90 La Lagune I'd bought. Wink
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by marcb7:
Congrats W+A....If Oct 1st is your anniversary date..you share it with my wifes b-day. Hope you had a wonderful night!


Happy Birthday to your bride, Marcb7.

Our anniversary was last week, but my wife was still in London, thus celebrating yesterday and today.

Our dating anniversary is later this month, so a lot of celebrating this month. Cool


Our first date was April 1. Too loaded with possibilities for red faces, so we don't mark it, but we do try to mark our anniversary monthly, with at least a nice bottle.
quote:
Originally posted by Mezzo Litro:
Happy B-Day, D. You don't look act a day over 25. Big Grin


Funny. My wife said the same thing the other day when we were nattering at each other Smile

Seriously, it's been too long since we've shared a bottle. Let's try to make something happen this fall
2000 Giacosa Barbaresco Asili Riserva. 'Shouldn't have any problems with sediment, but this is one of those bottles to which I want to give every opportunity for it to perform its absolute best.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Good luck, PH. I'm guessing it'll need a long decant.


I was just chatting with another forumite about this wine, Board-O. Of the 1986s I've had in the last couple of years, this was by far the most evolved and expressive. I decanted the last one for 2 hours, and rebottled for the trip to dinner. It showed very well. If you have one, you might wish to give it a run!

PH
Thanks. Well they have been upright for 2wks now. As far as consumption and TGIF....will see how this frickin day goes...pretty certain at least one will be opened tonight Smile
quote:
Originally posted by jorgerunfast:
quote:
Originally posted by jburman82:
59 Pichon
78 Diamond Creek Volcanic Hill
81 Unico


aaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!! cat's outta the bag!!


Thats only a few of them. Cool
jb, IU hope you'll post notes on the 1978 Volcanic Hill. I have several 1978 DCs in my cellar, including two of the Volcanic Hill.
quote:
Originally posted by jburman82:
quote:
Originally posted by jburman82:
59 Pichon
78 Diamond Creek Volcanic Hill
81 Unico

Thats only a few of them. Cool

Cool It just keeps getting better

Please be sure to dress appropriately for the occasion Razz
KSC02, don't worry. I have my shorts and t-shirt picked out. I even bought a new pair of Reef sandals for the occasion. After all, you only turn 35 once. Cool
quote:
Originally posted by jburman82:
KSC02, don't worry. I have my shorts and t-shirt picked out. I even bought a new pair of Reef sandals for the occasion. After all, you only turn 35 once. Cool


are you wearing socks at least with them flip flops?

cuz you know, you turn 35 only once.
Instant divorce I've been told for: Bermuda shorts with socks and black dress shoes, comb-over, or short cut-off jeans and tide-dye T-shirt. You don't even want to go to the thong thing
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
jb, IU hope you'll post notes on the 1978 Volcanic Hill. I have several 1978 DCs in my cellar, including two of the Volcanic Hill.


Will do.
quote:
Originally posted by theweb:
1959 Calon Segur - finally took delivery. This will be my special holiday bottle. I hope it shows well.

Cool Here's to it showing very well
I've got about 15 bottles standing up, but one I'm going to open soon will be the 2004 Lascombes, based on the positive experience with the 2004 Smith Haut Lafitte.
1966 Lynch Bages for my birthday June 28 and 1990 Paolo Scavino Cannubi Barolo for my wife and I's 22nd wedding anniversary on June 22.
'88 Salon for tomorrow
'83 Sassicaia for Tuesday

Gkapoor and Longboarder in town this week on business. Cool
The least one can do is show a bit of Canadian hospitality Smile
quote:
Gkapoor and Longboarder in town this week on business.
The least one can do is show a bit of Canadian hospitality

Please pass on my best wishes to both.
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
Instant divorce I've been told for: Bermuda shorts with socks and black dress shoes, comb-over, or short cut-off jeans and tide-dye T-shirt. You don't even want to go to the thong thing


Dear lord - you brought back nightmares from my early teenage days as this describes one of my uncles to a tee! Eek
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
1961 Palmer & 1949 Calon Segur.


Okay, thanks to my friends currently drinking in the great city of Montreal, ( and their text photos) we are adding the '55 Montrose to our off-line tomorrow night.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
1961 Palmer & 1949 Calon Segur.


Okay, thanks to my friends currently drinking in the great city of Montreal, ( and their text photos) we are adding the '55 Montrose to our off-line tomorrow night.


Good for you and if your bottle is half as good as the one we enjoyed you are in for a treat.
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
1986 Vieux Telegraphe CdP


I've enjoyed a number of '86 Beaucastels over the past year or two and I hope your VT shows as well as they did. Post notes!
1996 Pol Roger Sir Winston Churchill
2001 Château Guiraud
2003 Torbreck The Factor
2006 Two Hands 'Coach House Block' Single Vineyard Roennfeldt Road
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
1996 Pol Roger Sir Winston Churchill
2001 Château Guiraud
2003 Torbreck The Factor
2006 Two Hands 'Coach House Block' Single Vineyard Roennfeldt Road


Do any of these have enough sediment to stand? Just curious. Smile
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
2001 Château Guiraud
2003 Torbreck The Factor

Do any of these have enough sediment to stand? Just curious. Smile

I would stand the two above, without looking at the specific bottles.

You just don't know, so I lean to the safe. I've had wines with loads of sediment and just a few years old.

On the opposite side of the coin, when LB opened his '55 Montrose the other night there was absolutely no evidence of sediment whatsoever.

So go figure......
The two shiraz will probably have some sediment. The Pol Roger is already standing up and I would be surprised if the sauternes had anything in it.
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
So go figure......


It is kind of a crapshoot I suppose. I've had young tempranillo that threw tons of sediment, and yes, older wines with little to none.

tlily, Randy (or other winemakers), any rhyme or reason as to which wines are likelier to form precipitates in-bottle?
I've been looking at wines to take on vacation. I stood up 2 1999 Premier Cru Burgundies. One has considerable sediment; the other has virtually none. Go figure.
Wineplease, I had the 1979 Margaux in 2008. It's obviously beyond it's peak, but still enjoyable. The fruit was fading but it still had a bit of tannins. Not a stellar Margaux, but worth opening. It probably won't stand up to any food. Looking forward to your notes.
1977 Col d'Orcia Riserva BdM
1980 Cod d'Orcia Riserva BdM
1984 Diamond Creek Lake - for a friend
1959 Domaine Louis Trapet Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Clos Prieur
quote:
Originally posted by Longboarder:

1984 Diamond Creek Lake - for a friend

I have one or two left. I'd love to read your impressions.


1959 Domaine Louis Trapet Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Clos Prieur

Please post notes! I love 1959 Burgundies.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by Longboarder:

1984 Diamond Creek Lake - for a friend

I have one or two left. I'd love to read your impressions.


1959 Domaine Louis Trapet Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Clos Prieur

Please post notes! I love 1959 Burgundies.


Will do but don't you want to know how the Brunelli are drinking as well? Wink
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
1955 Lafite


I'd love to read your impressions. I've had that wonderful wine 4 times and I have none left.
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
1966 Lafite

Banana


I look forward to your notes. I've had this wine 11 times and one left. It's been great and showed no signs of tiring at last tasting.
Really sorry to hear that, Dok. I had the wine 4 times but the last bottle 15-20 years ago. We did one in a series of verticals comparing 1962 and 1955. We did another in a 1955 First Growth horizontal. One we did at a French restaurant where the chef/owner prepared a special meal for four or us, along with a 1971 Lafite. The last we had at a dinner on our home. All four were wonderful.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
1966 Lafite

Banana


I look forward to your notes.


Ditto! Good to see you on your stop through town VinT. I'll set something up a little, um, nicer (sans fruit flies) next time you're through.
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
1966 Lafite

Banana



Ditto! Good to see you on your stop through town VinT. I'll set something up a little, um, nicer (sans fruit flies) next time you're through.


I kind of liked 'em. They helped me finally understand the phrase 'crunchy tannins'. Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
Wineplease: How was the '79 Margaux?


DoktaP, sorry for the late reply.
I post my note on the tasting notes. I tend to agree with you that the fruit was fading. Pretty much gone in my opinion. However, it's still an enjoyable wine. The finish was still long and smooth.
1999 Dominus
1999 Coppola Rubicon
1999 Dunn Howell Mountain
1999 Cinq Cepages
1999 Ridge Lytton Springs

For a 1999 tasting at a friends house.
For the last week or so, I've stood a bottle of 2003 Dominique Laurent Clos Saint Denis Vieilles Vignes. Tonight it will be able to lay down empty.
quote:
DoktaP, what do you think about this one? Thank you.

Wineplease, this bottle was singing and firing on all cylinders. Probably the WOTN imho. It had all the elements you want in an aged cote rotie. It was described by one attendee as having the nose of a charcuterie board (bacon, cured meat, spice) with a heavenly floral (violet) hint. Drinking absolutely beautifully, but can hold on another decade easily. Worth sourcing if you have a chance. As a group, we felt that no score be assigned, but just take in the wondrous nature.
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
quote:
DoktaP, what do you think about this one? Thank you.

Wineplease, this bottle was singing and firing on all cylinders. Probably the WOTN imho. It had all the elements you want in an aged cote rotie. It was described by one attendee as having the nose of a charcuterie board (bacon, cured meat, spice) with a heavenly floral (violet) hint. Drinking absolutely beautifully, but can hold on another decade easily. Worth sourcing if you have a chance. As a group, we felt that no score be assigned, but just take in the wondrous nature.

This bottle, from that night, is in a very short WOTY list.
Thanks sincerely, Dok, for sharing this. Wink
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Really sorry to hear that, Dok. I had the wine 4 times but the last bottle 15-20 years ago. We did one in a series of verticals comparing 1962 and 1955. We did another in a 1955 First Growth horizontal. One we did at a French restaurant where the chef/owner prepared a special meal for four or us, along with a 1971 Lafite. The last we had at a dinner on our home. All four were wonderful.


I brought a 55 Lafite 2 years ago to a WGWeekend in Toronto with DoktaP and it was great. This one, unfortunately, was dead.

TN
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
quote:
DoktaP, what do you think about this one? Thank you.

Wineplease, this bottle was singing and firing on all cylinders. Probably the WOTN imho. It had all the elements you want in an aged cote rotie. It was described by one attendee as having the nose of a charcuterie board (bacon, cured meat, spice) with a heavenly floral (violet) hint. Drinking absolutely beautifully, but can hold on another decade easily. Worth sourcing if you have a chance. As a group, we felt that no score be assigned, but just take in the wondrous nature.


Great. Thank you for your notes DoktaP.
I actually bought this one about 6 months ago and had been curious when should I open this one Big Grin
But I guess I should wait couple of months when my wife is allowed to drink wine again.
Hopefully i will have the same experience as yours and KSC02 when popping up this bottle.
quote:
1983 Margaux acquired from a fellow board member.

The nose on this wine in it's prime is spell binding. The first time I opened one, I just enjoyed it's bouquet for 2 hours before tasting. I hope it shines for you and your group. Enjoy and please post your notes.
The nose on Margaux is often the best of any Bordeaux, in my experience. And it need not be one the greatest vintages. I still remember the nose on the 1964 Margaux, which was little more than a decent wine with a 100 point nose.
1993 Justin Isosceles - very low expectations for this still being alive
1996 Pagodes de Cos - same

I hope to be pleasantly surprised.
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
1993 Justin Isosceles - very low expectations for this still being alive
1996 Pagodes de Cos - same

Special occasion? Razz
quote:
Originally posted by Lakersguy:
1997 Dominus


I just had my last 1997 Dominus of three magnums and it dried a little bit with decanting and time in the glass. I'd pop and pour and then decide whether to decant. Just my opinion.
quote:
Originally posted by mpls wine guy:
quote:
Originally posted by Lakersguy:
1997 Dominus


I just had my last 1997 Dominus of three magnums and it dried a little bit with decanting and time in the glass. I'd pop and pour and then decide whether to decant. Just my opinion.
Thanks for the note! Will do!
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
1993 Justin Isosceles - very low expectations for this still being alive
1996 Pagodes de Cos - same

Special occasion? Razz


My irony-meter is in the shop right now so I can't tell if you're joking or not. (I suspect you are.) But if it was a serious question, no special occasion.
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
1993 Justin Isosceles - very low expectations for this still being alive
1996 Pagodes de Cos - same

Special occasion? Razz


My irony-meter is in the shop right now so I can't tell if you're joking or not. (I suspect you are.) But if it was a serious question, no special occasion.

Green Razz emoticon confirms the jest Wink
I must try this Kiki's place of which you all speak. I think it may be a possibility for a future xhoser visit.
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
Kiki's brings back fond (and fuzzy) memories.


Many many visits to KiKi's and all seem fuzzy.

Do you think it is the food? Razz
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
quote:
Do you think it is the food?

Absolutely! Or, my underwear were too tight Big Grin


I could've gone all day without that mental picture... Razz
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
quote:
Do you think it is the food?

Absolutely! Or, my underwear were too tight Big Grin


I knew it had nothing to do with all of the '59 Bordeaux and such we consumed. Wink
Wife's big b-day tomorrow, 70 Haut Brion, 94 Conseillante, 96 Grange.

Good thing I read this post, almost forgot to stand my wines up!
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
quote:
Do you think it is the food?

Absolutely! Or, my underwear were too tight Big Grin


I knew it had nothing to do with all of the '59 Bordeaux and such we consumed. Wink


No '59 Bdx last night but Kiki's was superb as usual. The '87 Dominus was still very young in my opinion. With air in the glass it opened up but I wish I could have decanted for 5-6 hours.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
1992 Dominus


Best Dominus I've ever had!


Agreed. If this one shows as well as the last I'll be pleased, to say the least.

PH
quote:
Originally posted by Swade:
2001 Mongeard-Mugneret Vosne Romanee Les Orveaux 1er.


I've had this from several vintages and enjoyed them very much, though I haven't had the 2001. Mongeard-Mugneret is a favorite of mine. We visited there 2 years ago, and their entire is very good to outstanding.
I am looking forward to trying it. I actually just back filled some of this for the 2005 vintage for down the road. I haven't seen any notes on the 2001 on CT for a while, so I'll try to post a detailed note.

I've been buying their Grands Echezeaux too. One of the better "bargains" from that cru.
Their 2007 Echezeaux and Grands Echezeaux are outstanding! Id bet the 2005s are also. I'll be interested to read your opinion of the 2001.
quote:
Originally posted by CSM:
2001 Pierre Usseglio Cuvée de Mon Aieul CdP.


Another winner! You guys are buying some good stuff.
'89 Pichon Lalande
'00 Taittinger Brut BdB Comtes de Champagne (though not sure if this actually needs to stand)
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
2000,2001,2002,2004 Cos D'Estournel; 1990 Guiraud

But not for long! Smile


I thought I was standing the '01 Big Grin