Skip to main content

Standing for the up-coming guys' trout-fishing trip:

2004 Alban Reva
2006 Saxum Booker
2008 Caymus SS
2011 Brys Estate cab franc
2004 Beaux Freres Vineyard pinot
1997 Penfold's Grange
2005 Mitolo Shiraz Savitar
2000 Leoville Poyferre
2002 Lascombes
2006 La Croix St. Georges Pomerol
2001 Beaucastel
2003 Pegau cuvée reservee
quote:
Originally posted by W-MassWineGuy:
Hi everyone,
New poster to the forums. Looking very forward to an '86 Gruaud Larose tomorrow with some friends!


Welcome!

This wine has yielded a lot of discussion on these boards, along with many other '86 Bordeaux. I hope it shows well for you, and post some notes in the "Tasting Notes" section if you get a chance.
Had been standing a 1983 Joseph Phelps Cabernet Sauvignon in 3 liter format for a month now in anticipation of Latour67's 70th birthday party which was held last night at Villa Castriotti Restaurant in Memphis. This dinner wasn't necessarily focused on the wines but on the occasion and conversation held within the 20 plus family members and friends in attendance. I brought the 3L of Joseph Phelps because it was the largest format bottle I had and it just seemed to fit the number of people and festive occasion we were having.

The cork that came out of the 83 JP cab came out in two pieces without any crumbling but there were signs of running completely up the sides and to the top of the cork. No signs of seepage though. The wine was still had a great color with just a little sign of bricking on the rim. The nose was a little shy at first but was still showing signs of of brown sugar, herbs and dark, but not overipe fruit. The palate was slightly tired upon pouring but opened up after 10 to fifteen minutes in the glass. There is no mistaken this for a bordeaux because it was all California cab. I believe the large format was definitely on this wines side in this case. Certainly time to drink up since the lively fruits started fading after an hour. Good wine, great evening and absolutely stunning occasion. Blessed to be there to experience it. Ready for number 71 Smile
quote:
Originally posted by max:
Had been standing a 1983 Joseph Phelps Cabernet Sauvignon in 3 liter format for a month now in anticipation of Latour67's 70th birthday party which was held last night at Villa Castriotti Restaurant in Memphis. This dinner wasn't necessarily focused on the wines but on the occasion and conversation held within the 20 plus family members and friends in attendance. I brought the 3L of Joseph Phelps because it was the largest format bottle I had and it just seemed to fit the number of people and festive occasion we were having.

The cork that came out of the 83 JP cab came out in two pieces without any crumbling but there were signs of running completely up the sides and to the top of the cork. No signs of seepage though. The wine was still had a great color with just a little sign of bricking on the rim. The nose was a little shy at first but was still showing signs of of brown sugar, herbs and dark, but not overipe fruit. The palate was slightly tired upon pouring but opened up after 10 to fifteen minutes in the glass. There is no mistaken this for a bordeaux because it was all California cab. I believe the large format was definitely on this wines side in this case. Certainly time to drink up since the lively fruits started fading after an hour. Good wine, great evening and absolutely stunning occasion. Blessed to be there to experience it. Ready for number 71 Smile


max, next time you see Latour, pls pass on best wishes from mrs bman and myself. He is first class.
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
Originally posted by max:
Had been standing a 1983 Joseph Phelps Cabernet Sauvignon in 3 liter format for a month now in anticipation of Latour67's 70th birthday party which was held last night at Villa Castriotti Restaurant in Memphis. This dinner wasn't necessarily focused on the wines but on the occasion and conversation held within the 20 plus family members and friends in attendance. I brought the 3L of Joseph Phelps because it was the largest format bottle I had and it just seemed to fit the number of people and festive occasion we were having.

The cork that came out of the 83 JP cab came out in two pieces without any crumbling but there were signs of running completely up the sides and to the top of the cork. No signs of seepage though. The wine was still had a great color with just a little sign of bricking on the rim. The nose was a little shy at first but was still showing signs of of brown sugar, herbs and dark, but not overipe fruit. The palate was slightly tired upon pouring but opened up after 10 to fifteen minutes in the glass. There is no mistaken this for a bordeaux because it was all California cab. I believe the large format was definitely on this wines side in this case. Certainly time to drink up since the lively fruits started fading after an hour. Good wine, great evening and absolutely stunning occasion. Blessed to be there to experience it. Ready for number 71 Smile


max, next time you see Latour, pls pass on best wishes from mrs bman and myself. He is first class.
Most certainly will.
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
It was a banner day in our household, and to celebrate with our sons success, we'll be standing 1990 Dom Perignon mag, 1986 Lafite, 2001 Harlan, 2001 Masseto and a 2001 Yquem.
Special wines for very special people and achievements.


Nothing is warrants a celebration more than the success of our children. Cool Pls pass on the best wishes of mr and mrs bman!
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
It was a banner day in our household, and to celebrate with our sons success, we'll be standing 1990 Dom Perignon mag, 1986 Lafite, 2001 Harlan, 2001 Masseto and a 2001 Yquem.
Special wines for very special people and achievements.


Nothing is warrants a celebration more than the success of our children. Cool Pls pass on the best wishes of mr and mrs bman!


Brother, thanks for the text today about the wonderful news. As you know, we were also holding our breath this time last year with our oldest you shared tapas with recently.

We were looking for a reason to try the 2001 Pingus, and tonight we shall toast E.

Bravo, to you and your entire family, bro.
Thanks to all for your kind and sentimental thoughts. That's probably one of the greatest assets of this forum. It's ALWAYS been about the people and camaraderie. In most cases, the wine is just an offshoot and an excuse to share things of value and interest.

Some of the most important and resonating words given to me once was " don't be the type of person who knows the price of everything, but the value of nothing".

I value all your friendships.
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
Thanks to all for your kind and sentimental thoughts. That's probably one of the greatest assets of this forum. It's ALWAYS been about the people and camaraderie. In most cases, the wine is just an offshoot and an excuse to share things of value and interest.

Some of the most important and resonating words given to me once was " don't be the type of person who knows the price of everything, but the value of nothing".

I value all your friendships.


So well said. Congratulations to your son. A special bottle soon to continue the celebration.
quote:
Originally posted by Gkapoor:
quote:
Originally posted by Longboarder:
For Thursday Night:

1955 Charles Vienot Richebourg Grand Cru
1950 Haut Brion
1954 Cune Vina Real Gran Reserva
1955 Montrose
1985 Vieue Cliquot Rose Brut Reserve (Magnum)

Plus a couple others not yet identified.

Going to be a very good week.

Eek
Going to Mecca


...and with a vestal virgin as well. Wink
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by Gkapoor:
quote:
Originally posted by Longboarder:
For Thursday Night:

1955 Charles Vienot Richebourg Grand Cru
1950 Haut Brion
1954 Cune Vina Real Gran Reserva
1955 Montrose
1985 Vieue Cliquot Rose Brut Reserve (Magnum)

Plus a couple others not yet identified.

Going to be a very good week.

Eek
Going to Mecca


...and with a vestal virgin as well. Wink

I hate when you call me vestal ;-)
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by Gkapoor:
quote:
Originally posted by Longboarder:
For Thursday Night:

1955 Charles Vienot Richebourg Grand Cru
1950 Haut Brion
1954 Cune Vina Real Gran Reserva
1955 Montrose
1985 Vieue Cliquot Rose Brut Reserve (Magnum)

Plus a couple others not yet identified.

Going to be a very good week.

Eek
Going to Mecca


...and with a vestal virgin as well. Wink

I hate when you call me vestal ;-)


I have been going to Bern's since the early 80's, and I still enjoy it a great deal when we have a virgin at the table. Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Today I will stand up a couple of cases of wine for my Renewal of Vows one week from tomorrow.

There will be Unico's, L'Ermita's, Champagne on top of Champagnes, LaLa's, Bordeaux and many others.

I truly want there to be something everyone enjoys a great deal.


Ummm, pretty sure you've got that covered..... Eek Bow Winner
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Today I will stand up a couple of cases of wine for my Renewal of Vows one week from tomorrow.

There will be Unico's, L'Ermita's, Champagne on top of Champagnes, LaLa's, Bordeaux and many others.

I truly want there to be something everyone enjoys a great deal.


Ummm, pretty sure you've got that covered..... Eek Bow Winner


+1 congratuations and have a verymemorable and heartfelt experience on such a special event.
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Today I will stand up a couple of cases of wine for my Renewal of Vows one week from tomorrow.

There will be Unico's, L'Ermita's, Champagne on top of Champagnes, LaLa's, Bordeaux and many others.

I truly want there to be something everyone enjoys a great deal.


Ummm, pretty sure you've got that covered..... Eek Bow Winner


bman,

If you were attending rest assured, I would open something from Australia from my cellar. Smile
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Today I will stand up a couple of cases of wine for my Renewal of Vows one week from tomorrow.

There will be Unico's, L'Ermita's, Champagne on top of Champagnes, LaLa's, Bordeaux and many others.

I truly want there to be something everyone enjoys a great deal.


Ummm, pretty sure you've got that covered..... Eek Bow Winner


bman,

If you were attending rest assured, I would open something from Australia from my cellar. Smile


Spit Spit Spit

Unless you own some Grange - and probably not even then - I doubt you allow anything from south of the equator to infest your cellar! Ack Wink
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Today I will stand up a couple of cases of wine for my Renewal of Vows one week from tomorrow.

There will be Unico's, L'Ermita's, Champagne on top of Champagnes, LaLa's, Bordeaux and many others.

I truly want there to be something everyone enjoys a great deal.


Ummm, pretty sure you've got that covered..... Eek Bow Winner


bman,

If you were attending rest assured, I would open something from Australia from my cellar. Smile


Spit Spit Spit

Unless you own some Grange - and probably not even then - I doubt you allow anything from south of the equator to infest your cellar! Ack Wink


Grange, yes, and a few others as well.

I just hope no one stops in my house and wants to drink Zin from after 1999. That I do not have. Wink
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Today I will stand up a couple of cases of wine for my Renewal of Vows one week from tomorrow.

There will be Unico's, L'Ermita's, Champagne on top of Champagnes, LaLa's, Bordeaux and many others.

I truly want there to be something everyone enjoys a great deal.


Ummm, pretty sure you've got that covered..... Eek Bow Winner


bman,

If you were attending rest assured, I would open something from Australia from my cellar. Smile


Spit Spit Spit

Unless you own some Grange - and probably not even then - I doubt you allow anything from south of the equator to infest your cellar! Ack Wink


Grange, yes, and a few others as well.

I just hope no one stops in my house and wants to drink Zin from after 1999. That I do not have. Wink


(note to self - put Dallas and Santa Fe back on the "to-visit" list......)
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
I'll be going to go grab a '77 Fonseca from the cellar to stand up tonight or tomorrow for consumption on Friday night. I'm thinking at least a 24 hour slow-ox? G-man?


We had a 77 Niepoort at the Montreal offline last week. I double decanted it the night before, left it in the open decanter overnight, then put it back into the bottle the next morning and corked it. It was beautiful and won praise from the table.

I've been decanting port in that manner for a while now and almost always find it's the way to go. When there is port left a day or two later (yes, it happens! Spit) it is almost always better than port we've decanted for less time.

Add Reply

Post
×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×