Skip to main content

Pete, I've never had any of the wines you mentioned but with the exception of the Sauternes, those other wines shouldn't be touched for quite a while. Especially the Pavie. I've had much lower level Bordeaux from those vintages, and only the simpler ones from 2004 are drinking decently. You sure you want to open those?

Damn, I sound like Board-O! He would likely make a much stronger case than me though, with experience of that caliber of juice. Wink
Ditto Bill. Ditto PH.

When you mean "just not the same" I'd translate that to mean, "they'll be better."

Those young Bdx wines will be tannic bruisers, nowhere near ready to open. The SQN juice you have should drink MUCH better and be a more pleasant way to spend your bride's birthday.

If you don't want to dip into those either, Champagne is always in style.
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
Ditto Bill. Ditto PH.

When you mean "just not the same" I'd translate that to mean, "they'll be better."

Those young Bdx wines will be tannic bruisers, nowhere near ready to open. The SQN juice you have should drink MUCH better and be a more pleasant way to spend your bride's birthday.

If you don't want to dip into those either, Champagne is always in style.
I agree with these guys as well. I don't even think a ton of decanting will help these wines open to even close to what you want. I'd go with the sqn's.
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
quote:
Originally posted by vinoevelo:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mangiare:
1990 Rauzan Segla
1990 Ornellaia


quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
1989 Leoville Barton
1997 Suduiraut[/QUOTE

wow. very nice gents.


Very nice lineup! I'm interested in how the 97 Suduiraut shows.


Ditto. Also would be interested in why you stood up a Sauternes.....

PH
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:

Ditto. Also would be interested in why you stood up a Sauternes.....

PH


Good question! Certainly not to settle sediment, as there is none in the bottle. I just kinda pulled it from the back of the cellar and stood it next the LB to grab and go for dinner. I'm not doing harm by standing it for a few days, am I?
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
No harm at all.

PH


i stand it so i get that nasty petrol up on the top and hopefully it blows off when i pop the cork!


Petrol in Sauternes?

PH


yea definitely the older ones especially get that petrol stink that I don't enjoy

it smells like too much sulfur was dumped in the wine
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
No harm at all.

PH


i stand it so i get that nasty petrol up on the top and hopefully it blows off when i pop the cork!


Petrol in Sauternes?

PH


yea definitely the older ones especially get that petrol stink that I don't enjoy

it smells like too much sulfur was dumped in the wine


That's a new one for me. I've picked up molasses, burnt sugar, spice, from the darker ones; light, diminished fruit from the lighter ones, and caramel, fruit, spice... from those in between - but never petrol from an older Sauternes.
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
No harm at all.

PH


i stand it so i get that nasty petrol up on the top and hopefully it blows off when i pop the cork!


Petrol in Sauternes?

PH


yea definitely the older ones especially get that petrol stink that I don't enjoy

it smells like too much sulfur was dumped in the wine


That's a new one for me. I've picked up molasses, burnt sugar, spice, from the darker ones; light, diminished fruit from the lighter ones, and caramel, fruit, spice... from those in between - but never petrol from an older Sauternes.


i certainly may be drinking the wrong ones. oldest one i've had was a chateau de malle from 58. It was ... interesting.
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
For consumption in the next week:

1997 Ornellaia
1998 Pegau Cuvee Reservee
1995 Rostaing Cote Rotie Cote Blonde

PH

Cool


No shit. Especially the Rostaing. Wish it was my birthday. Big Grin


Same here, wish my friends would open stuff like that on my BDay Wink
quote:
Originally posted by Vinaigre:
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
For consumption in the next week:

1997 Ornellaia
1998 Pegau Cuvee Reservee
1995 Rostaing Cote Rotie Cote Blonde

PH

Cool


No shit. Especially the Rostaing. Wish it was my birthday. Big Grin


Same here, wish my friends would open stuff like that on my BDay Wink


Hey! I just said I was standing them up for consumption this week. Didn't say when!! LOL fwiw, the Pegau is headed to dinner Saturday.

PH
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
1986 Ch. Talbot


Had it a few months ago. One of the few 1986s I've had that seemed just about ready.


I only have one bottle of this, and other wines from the same cellar (bought at LWS) have been excellent. Would you define "just about ready" as within an optimal window, or as hold? I've no problem in laying this one back down.
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
Going to celebrate tonight! Winner

Jean Milan Grand Reserve Grand Cru Blanc De Blancs Brut Champagne
1989 La Chapelle
1990 Rauzan Segla
1997 Lisini


NICE! 89 La Chapelle -yum! Bow

2000 Charles Ellner Brut Champagne
1989 Pichon Lalande
1989 Cantemerle
1998 Berliquet
1999 Delas Hermitage de la Tourettes
1976 Gilette creme de Tetes
1975 Filhot

Couple of dinners and a lunch coming up.
Fut - I think I already posted that the Lisini was outstanding.

Going to pull some wines for tomorrow - 12/12/12 birthday! Banana
2 - 1987 Mondavi Reserve
2 - 1992 Dominus
2 - 1992 Spottswoode
2 - 1995 Montosoli BDM
2 - 1999 Saffredi
2 - 2001 Ceretto Bricco Rocche
and hopefully some cellar raiding.....

It only happens once in a hundred years you know.
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
Fut - I think I already posted that the Lisini was outstanding.

Going to pull some wines for tomorrow - 12/12/12 birthday! Banana
2 - 1987 Mondavi Reserve
2 - 1992 Dominus
2 - 1992 Spottswoode
2 - 1995 Montosoli BDM
2 - 1999 Saffredi
2 - 2001 Ceretto Bricco Rocche
and hopefully some cellar raiding.....

It only happens once in a hundred years you know.


i think you need to scrub teh 01, 99 and the 87 and replace them with wines whose vintages begins with 1 and ends in 2
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
Fut - I think I already posted that the Lisini was outstanding.

Going to pull some wines for tomorrow - 12/12/12 birthday! Banana
2 - 1987 Mondavi Reserve
2 - 1992 Dominus
2 - 1992 Spottswoode
2 - 1995 Montosoli BDM
2 - 1999 Saffredi
2 - 2001 Ceretto Bricco Rocche
and hopefully some cellar raiding.....

It only happens once in a hundred years you know.


i think you need to scrub teh 01, 99 and the 87 and replace them with wines whose vintages begins with 1 and ends in 2


Or even more appropriate, fill up on wines from this year: NZ sauvignon blanc and beaujolais nouveau! Razz Devilish Spit
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by Impulse:
1995 Hommage a Jacques Perrin
2004 Rayas

It's my b'day as well, and KSC02 won't share his La Turque Big Grin I'm going to take care of myself!

It's not my only one, impulse. I will share my other with you. Wink

Congrats on your b'day, and the Hommage. Very nice indeed!


speaking of, aint it yer bday too? What you stnading.
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by Impulse:
1995 Hommage a Jacques Perrin
2004 Rayas

It's my b'day as well, and KSC02 won't share his La Turque Big Grin I'm going to take care of myself!

It's not my only one, impulse. I will share my other with you. Wink

Congrats on your b'day, and the Hommage. Very nice indeed!


speaking of, aint it yer bday too? What you stnading.


He ought to stand something good. He hasn't had much good wine these past few days.... LOL

PH
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by Impulse:
1995 Hommage a Jacques Perrin
2004 Rayas

It's my b'day as well, and KSC02 won't share his La Turque Big Grin I'm going to take care of myself!

It's not my only one, impulse. I will share my other with you. Wink

Congrats on your b'day, and the Hommage. Very nice indeed!


speaking of, aint it yer bday too? What you stnading.


He ought to stand something good. He hasn't had much good wine these past few days.... LOL

PH


yea cuz i hear yer a lush who doesn't share!
quote:
Originally posted by SD-Wineaux:
What's up with all of these Canadian 12/12 birthday's? I didn't realize that April was such a swell month for parent's to get busy up in the great white north! Wink


By April so much snow has fallen in parts of Canada that it cannot be removed because there is nowhere to put it. So you can't get out of your driveway and are stuck at home. So, unless there is hockey or curling on TV, there is little else to do!
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
1985 Fonseca
1985 Warre
1991 Taylor Vargellas


All for one evening?


Sadly, no. If I knew even three people here who enjoyed port enough to even begin to appreciate them, maybe, but alas, no such luck. We'll open one tomorrow and maybe another before I return to Oakville in a week. Even mrs. bman is no longer the portlover she once was Frown

Add Reply

Post
×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×