Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:


Please tell Tyee hello.



+1


Your greetings were passed on, and reciprocated.

I'll post some notes about the wines we shared in the current 'What Are You Drinking' thread. It was a night with some remarkable wines, and another reminder of how extremely fortunate we all are to be able to live the way we do.
quote:
Originally posted by bman:


Or a reminder of how we are able to occasionally live the way we do but aspire to live that way on a regular basis once we finally win the frickin' lottery..... felix


It's Feb. 8, and a sunny, balmy 54˚F day here in Vancouver. Crocuses, snowdrops, pussywillows, tulips are starting to blossom all over the place. I'm pretty sure I've already won the frickin' lottery. Smile
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
quote:
Originally posted by bman:


Or a reminder of how we are able to occasionally live the way we do but aspire to live that way on a regular basis once we finally win the frickin' lottery..... felix


It's Feb. 8, and a sunny, balmy 54˚F day here in Vancouver. Crocuses, snowdrops, pussywillows, tulips are starting to blossom all over the place. I'm pretty sure I've already won the frickin' lottery. Smile


Nice. Our other Vancouver friends who live here in KW in the Winter commented to me yesterday how warm its been
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
quote:
Originally posted by bman:


Or a reminder of how we are able to occasionally live the way we do but aspire to live that way on a regular basis once we finally win the frickin' lottery..... felix


It's Feb. 8, and a sunny, balmy 54˚F day here in Vancouver. Crocuses, snowdrops, pussywillows, tulips are starting to blossom all over the place. I'm pretty sure I've already won the frickin' lottery. Smile


Nice. Our other Vancouver friends who live here in KW in the Winter commented to me yesterday how warm its been


Well FWIW, it was 7 degrees (celcius) and lovely when we were in Toronto at the end of last week. A little breezy especially on Yonge Street but still nice enough to walk around town.
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
Well FWIW, it was 7 degrees (celcius) and lovely when we were in Toronto at the end of last week. A little breezy especially on Yonge Street but still nice enough to walk around town.

Bman, was your dialing finger broken? Or was there another reason you did not let us know you were in town? bunny
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
Well FWIW, it was 7 degrees (celcius) and lovely when we were in Toronto at the end of last week. A little breezy especially on Yonge Street but still nice enough to walk around town.

Bman, was your dialing finger broken? Or was there another reason you did not let us know you were in town? bunny


I was there with my wife for work then a couple of days with wife, son and his fiancée so no time for offlines. This time. But I should be back every few weeks and will definitely give a heads-up next time. Meanwhile, remind me when you are coming to Ottawa again? catmouse
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
1998 La Rioja Alta Rioja Gran Reserva 890

Both '97 & '98 were brutal vintages overall in Rioja. That said, I bet this is a wonderful wine.

I'll know in a few hours, w+a. I opened a bottle of this (purchased at the same time as this one) back in the fall of 2014 and I recall that it was excellent but still very young. It'll be interesting to see how it has developed in the intervening year and half.
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
1998 La Rioja Alta Rioja Gran Reserva 890


Both '97 & '98 were brutal vintages overall in Rioja. That said, I bet this is a wonderful wine.

All I can say is "I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts."


Sounds like the poor fruit from the vintage faded long before the oak.
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
1998 La Rioja Alta Rioja Gran Reserva 890


Both '97 & '98 were brutal vintages overall in Rioja. That said, I bet this is a wonderful wine.

All I can say is "I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts."


Sounds like the fruit from this poor vintage faded well before the oak.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
1998 La Rioja Alta Rioja Gran Reserva 890


Both '97 & '98 were brutal vintages overall in Rioja. That said, I bet this is a wonderful wine.

All I can say is "I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts."


Sounds like the fruit from this poor vintage faded well before the oak.

The fruit hasn't faded at all, but neither has the oak. I thought the oak was distracting. Others didn't have quite the same reaction to it that I did.

I expect that the fruit will eventually fade while the coconut still hangs on.
quote:
Originally posted by Redhawk:
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
'01 Valdicava
'95 Salon
'59 Moulin Touchais
'03 La Tour Blanche


I'm bringing a 2001 conti costanti bdm so it should be fun to compare.


Should I blow off the Toronto boys and invite myself up to Montreal to drink your wine instead?


You should drink with both groups. You can't go wrong with either Cru!
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
1998 La Rioja Alta Rioja Gran Reserva 890


Both '97 & '98 were brutal vintages overall in Rioja. That said, I bet this is a wonderful wine.

All I can say is "I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts."


Sounds like the poor fruit from the vintage faded long before the oak.



I have a bottle of this that i jmuped to buy since they are so hard to find but i must admit never checked the vintage. I thought that the 890 reserve Would only be produced in the very best vintages since it is such a special reserve! How come Rioja Alta produces it in such a bad one?
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:
- 1984 Diamond Creek Cabernet Sauvignon Lake


Shane, please posts notes! I have one or two of these left and would love to hear how this wonderful wine is doing.


Notes are on the way for the '84 Lake; suffice it to say that it lives up to the hype!


Great to hear!
In preparation for the Omakase dinner at Shoushin tomorrow evening:

Champagne:
1996 Boizel Joyau de France
1996 Duval-Leroy Champagne Blanc de Chardonnay Brut
NV Legras & Haas Chouilly Grand Cru Blanc de Blanc

White:
1999 ZH Clos Saint Urbain
2008 Bernard Magrez Chateau Pape Clement
2008 Hanzell Sonoma Chardonnay
1999 Jacques Prieur Meursault Les Perrieres
2002 Michel Colin-Deleger Puligny-Montrachet la Truffiere
2002 Christian Moreau Chablis les Clos
2011 Chateau Mercian Koshu Kiiroka
2012 Hirtzberger Smaragd Kirchweg Gruner Veltliner

Sake:
Tenzan Junmai Genshu Jizake

Red:
2007 Domaine Dujac Vosne Romanee Beaumonts

It should be interesting...
Last edited by otw
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
For a dinner with friends this Tuesday:

1997 Lisini
1997 Ciacci
1997 Poggio Antico Altero

PH

Cool Very nice, PH.
May your bottles show superbly.


I hope they do too. Also have a few other 1997 Brunelli being brought by other friends. It'll be the first larger sampling of 1997s by me in a while.

This tasting is also a celebration of sorts, as one of our group is going to get married next month. I won't give up any more details at this point, since it's not my story to tell. All I can say is that will probably be the most sane bachelor party I will ever attend. If I go to any others after this, I insist on strippers at the bare minimum... I'm not getting any younger...

PH
Not having a walk-in cellar or anything equivalent, I typically haven't been standing my reds.

But a bottle I opened tonight made me think I really should be standing reds that are more than a couple years past release - even if it means standing them at room temperature on the kitchen counter and then transfer to the fridge for a few minutes before opening.

It was a 2007 Chateau Paradis Terre des Anges (Coteaux d'Aix-en-Provence). It still showed a good bit of primary fruit. However, the tannins were well on their way toward precipitating out and were really gritty, to the extent that they were still suspended in the wine. It would have been a really lovely drink had the sediment not been so fine and well-dispersed throughout the bottle.

Does anyone else without a proper walk-in cellar stand their reds at room temperature?
Your wines will be fine if standing them for weeks, or even months, at room temperature (assuming you keep your home or basement at a reasonable temperature. If you're really worried you would probably be fine putting them right in your refrigerator!

The need for collaring at cooler temps is built around the strategy of medium to long term aging. My first "cellar" was the bottom rows from a few shelves from Ikea I left in my bedroom (grad school) and it was 3-4 years before i bought a wine fridge. Not a wine was tainted from being kept at 68-72+ degrees for that time period!
1999 Billecart-Salmon Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut Millésimé
2013 Mac Forbes Riesling Whole Bunch Press
1996 Paul Jaboulet Aîné Hermitage La Chapelle
1994 R. López de Heredia Rioja Gran Reserva Viña Tondonia
2001 Domaine Pierre Usseglio & Fils Cuvée de mon Aïeul
2004 Alban Vineyards Grenache Alban Estate Vineyard
1998 Delas Frères Côte-Rôtie La Landonne
2006 Sine Qua Non Grenache Raven Series
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
1999 Billecart-Salmon Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut Millésimé
2013 Mac Forbes Riesling Whole Bunch Press
1996 Paul Jaboulet Aîné Hermitage La Chapelle
1994 R. López de Heredia Rioja Gran Reserva Viña Tondonia
2001 Domaine Pierre Usseglio & Fils Cuvée de mon Aïeul
2004 Alban Vineyards Grenache Alban Estate Vineyard
1998 Delas Frères Côte-Rôtie La Landonne
2006 Sine Qua Non Grenache Raven Series

Red Face

Someone is going to be very busy.

quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by Machine:
1973 Diamond Creek Volcanic Hill


I'd love to see tasting notes.


I just hope it is still alive. A friend of my wine friends (who generally prefers burgundy) is a diamond creek fan, so figured it was a good time to pop it. I tried the 1974 DCVH at a restaurant several years ago, one of the best older reds that I've had.
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
1999 Billecart-Salmon Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut Millésimé
2013 Mac Forbes Riesling Whole Bunch Press
1996 Paul Jaboulet Aîné Hermitage La Chapelle
1994 R. López de Heredia Rioja Gran Reserva Viña Tondonia
2001 Domaine Pierre Usseglio & Fils Cuvée de mon Aïeul
2004 Alban Vineyards Grenache Alban Estate Vineyard
1998 Delas Frères Côte-Rôtie La Landonne
2006 Sine Qua Non Grenache Raven Series

Red Face

Someone is going to be very busy.



How long do you typically stand champagne before opening?
quote:
Originally posted by Machine:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
1999 Billecart-Salmon Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut Millésimé
2013 Mac Forbes Riesling Whole Bunch Press
1996 Paul Jaboulet Aîné Hermitage La Chapelle
1994 R. López de Heredia Rioja Gran Reserva Viña Tondonia
2001 Domaine Pierre Usseglio & Fils Cuvée de mon Aïeul
2004 Alban Vineyards Grenache Alban Estate Vineyard
1998 Delas Frères Côte-Rôtie La Landonne
2006 Sine Qua Non Grenache Raven Series

Red Face

Someone is going to be very busy.



How long do you typically stand champagne before opening?

Big Grin

Here's at least one sparkler that will need standing:

https://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=2208889

Left of its lees for a decade and never disgorged. I have a couple of bottles coming this spring. A "vinoevelo" wine if I ever saw one.
quote:
Originally posted by Machine:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
Here's at least one sparkler that will need standing:

https://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=2208889

Left of its lees for a decade and never disgorged. I have a couple of bottles coming this spring. A "vinoevelo" wine if I ever saw one.

Cava for me is more of a can't standing than needs standing Big Grin

Never say never. And this is Cava in name only.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by Gkapoor:
On deck for tonight:

1995 Krug Mesnil Blanc de Blancs
1993 DRC Richebourg
1993 Grands Echezeaux
1993 DRC Echezeaux


Such a slacker... Wink Sounds wonderful!


I hate him!
My gosh! Hard to believe, isn't it? I know the 93 vintage in Burgundy doesn't get the praise it deserves, but I absolutely love it!
For deacdes I believed that vintage was of primary importance in Burgundy. My belief now is that it is important, but there are many exceptional wines produced in relative mediocre years.

A few years ago at Maison Nicolas Potel, we tasted a 1992 Chambolle Musigny Premier Cru Derriere la Grange (behind the barn): bright floral nose, delicious, ready, 94, a great triumph from a poor vintage

and at Remoissenet, we tasted a 1967 Beaune Premier Cru: It was brought up from the cellar where it had remained since bottling. It was served blind and the identity not revealed until after opinions had been offered. It had the rich nose of aged Burgundy and the relatively dark color indicated the wine was not tiring. The wine was elegant, but not at all weak or over the hill. It clearly improved with time in the glass, 93.
quote:
Originally posted by max:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by Gkapoor:
On deck for tonight:

1995 Krug Mesnil Blanc de Blancs
1993 DRC Richebourg
1993 Grands Echezeaux
1993 DRC Echezeaux


Such a slacker... Wink Sounds wonderful!


I hate him!
My gosh! Hard to believe, isn't it? I know the 93 vintage in Burgundy doesn't get the praise it deserves, but I absolutely love it!


Gents, last night was the most disappointing vino experience ever! All three bottles were shutdown hard providing no pleasure at all. We kept wondering if the storage conditions were poor? The 95 krug mesnil was just stellar but the DRCs were horrendous. Three of us at the dinner and each bottle still had 50% remaining when we left.

Max, I too have very good experiences w the 93 vintage......until last night
quote:
Originally posted by Gkapoor:
quote:
Originally posted by max:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by Gkapoor:
On deck for tonight:

1995 Krug Mesnil Blanc de Blancs
1993 DRC Richebourg
1993 Grands Echezeaux
1993 DRC Echezeaux


Such a slacker... Wink Sounds wonderful!


I hate him!
My gosh! Hard to believe, isn't it? I know the 93 vintage in Burgundy doesn't get the praise it deserves, but I absolutely love it!


Gents, last night was the most disappointing vino experience ever! All three bottles were shutdown hard providing no pleasure at all. We kept wondering if the storage conditions were poor? The 95 krug mesnil was just stellar but the DRCs were horrendous. Three of us at the dinner and each bottle still had 50% remaining when we left.

Max, I too have very good experiences w the 93 vintage......until last night
So, so sorry to hear this. This should have been a wine night to cherish.
quote:
Originally posted by Gkapoor:
quote:
Originally posted by max:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by Gkapoor:
On deck for tonight:

1995 Krug Mesnil Blanc de Blancs
1993 DRC Richebourg
1993 Grands Echezeaux
1993 DRC Echezeaux


Such a slacker... Wink Sounds wonderful!


I hate him!
My gosh! Hard to believe, isn't it? I know the 93 vintage in Burgundy doesn't get the praise it deserves, but I absolutely love it!


Gents, last night was the most disappointing vino experience ever! All three bottles were shutdown hard providing no pleasure at all. We kept wondering if the storage conditions were poor? The 95 krug mesnil was just stellar but the DRCs were horrendous. Three of us at the dinner and each bottle still had 50% remaining when we left.

Max, I too have very good experiences w the 93 vintage......until last night


What a pity! Please accept my condolences. Frown
quote:
Originally posted by Gkapoor:
Gents, last night was the most disappointing vino experience ever! All three bottles were shutdown hard providing no pleasure at all. We kept wondering if the storage conditions were poor? The 95 krug mesnil was just stellar but the DRCs were horrendous. Three of us at the dinner and each bottle still had 50% remaining when we left.

Max, I too have very good experiences w the 93 vintage......until last night

Eek What a shame. So sorry to hear this. It should have been an evening of epiphanies.
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
2005 Don Melchor Cab


Had a bottle of the 2006 a week ago. Showed well enough, but not as well as I hoped, given the cost and hype. I may start drinking them younger.

Good to know, thanks. Will be popping this tomorrow with grilled filet mignon and will report back.

Add Reply

Post
×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×