Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by vinole:
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
quote:
Originally posted by max:
For my wife and I's 25 year wedding anniversary celebration with friends coming up this Saturday night at Marciano's in Memphis:

Standing today:

1990 Mondavi Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon (3L)
1990 Chateau de Beaucastel (1.5L)
1990 Dom Perignon
1990 Schloss Schonborn Hattenheimer Nussbraunen Riesling
1990 Charles Heidsieck Millesime Brut
1990 William Selyem Rochioli Vineyard Pinot Noir
1990 Domaine Monthelie Douhairet Volnay
1990 Pesquera Ribera Del Duero Gran Reserva
1990 La Rioja Alta Vina Ardanza
1990 Lisini Brunello di Montalcino
1990 Ridge Lytton Springs Zinfandel
1990 Beringer Howell Mountain Bancroft Ranch Merlot
1990 Pahlmeyer Caldwell Vineyard Merlot
1990 Chateau Lagrange
1990 Chateau Meyney
1990 Chapoutier Hermitage La Sizeranne
1990 Beringer Private Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon

Praying at least half of these show well Smile

happy anniversary buddy. should be some epic drinking.

Ditto. Our 25th is next year, leaving Napa and N Rhone as the main choices. I see you took full advantage of your wedding year being a good or great year in lots of regions
Thanks to all for the congrats and sorry I'm just getting back to this. I've been in Charleston S.C. all week up until this morning and haven't had an opportunity to get on line.

We were blessed with a great anniversary year for wine drinking. You can basically go anywhere regardless of region and score good wine from 1990. Maybe not Portugal, but everywhere else should be good drinking.
1986 Diamond Creek Cabernet Sauvignon Red Rock Terrace
1994 R. López de Heredia Rioja Gran Reserva Viña Tondonia
1998 Delas Frères Côte-Rôtie La Landonne
1999 Domaine de la Vougeraie Clos Vougeot
2005 Gérard Raphet Chambolle-Musigny Les Bussieres
2006 Domaine William Fèvre Chablis Grand Cru Les Preuses
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
1986 Diamond Creek Cabernet Sauvignon Red Rock Terrace
1994 R. López de Heredia Rioja Gran Reserva Viña Tondonia
1998 Delas Frères Côte-Rôtie La Landonne
1999 Domaine de la Vougeraie Clos Vougeot
2005 Gérard Raphet Chambolle-Musigny Les Bussieres
2006 Domaine William Fèvre Chablis Grand Cru Les Preuses

Eek

Some pretty impressive cellar-draining. Do you know something I don't? Is the end of the world nigh?
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
1986 Diamond Creek Cabernet Sauvignon Red Rock Terrace
1994 R. López de Heredia Rioja Gran Reserva Viña Tondonia
1998 Delas Frères Côte-Rôtie La Landonne
1999 Domaine de la Vougeraie Clos Vougeot
2005 Gérard Raphet Chambolle-Musigny Les Bussieres
2006 Domaine William Fèvre Chablis Grand Cru Les Preuses

Eek

Some pretty impressive cellar-draining. Do you know something I don't? Is the end of the world nigh?


Maybe the temperature control at his wine storage malfunctioned and he decided to drink up the trophies before they overheated?
Stood and decanted a 2003 Beckmen Clone #1 Syrah. It had the Santa Barbara syrah funk barnyard that I'm not a fan of and don't usually find in Beckmen syrah - 89/100. On the flipside, if anyone has had or remembers their 2003 PMV Grenache, it was an amazing wine, easily in the top 10 wines I've ever had from Santa Barbara county, 99/100
For the weekend at the VinCentric cottage:

1975 Tour Blanche
1997 Coutet
1997 Pio Cesare Barolo Ornato
2001 Pio Chesare Barolo Ornato
1999 Clos L'Eglise

Left over from the long weekend up there:
2009 Massa Vechhia Passito Aleatico
2010 Aleatico Sovana
2008 Drouhin Vaudon Chablis Vaudesir
1997 Vincent Couche Sensation Champagne
1999 Brochet Hervieux Champagne 1er
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
For tonight

- NV Krug Grande Cuvee
- 2004 Mitolo Shiraz Savitar
- 2003 Vieux Donjon Chateauneuf
- 1997 Albert Mann Riesling Rosenberg Vendanges Tardives (500 ml)


Happy to see someone unafraid to post that they actually drink mid-level shiraz! And that they let it age for a decade first! Or course, I would expect nothing less of my fellow traveller...... bluesbros
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
1999 Domaine de la Vougeraie Clos Vougeot
2006 Smith Haut Lafitte Blanc
1994 Guigal La Mouline
1999 Billecart-Salmon Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut Millésimé

Some very nice bottles standing up in the Toronto area Wink

These pale in comparison to what will stand up when you finally come for a visit. bunny
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
These pale in comparison to what will stand up when you finally come for a visit. bunny

Smile We do plan to head that way eventually, once Dok gives the good word.

KSCO2, any time my friend. Ma casa,su casa. Mrs.DP is doing well and ready to host you and Dj anytime. You are family and our door is always open.
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
These pale in comparison to what will stand up when you finally come for a visit. bunny

Smile We do plan to head that way eventually, once Dok gives the good word.

KSCO2, any time my friend. Ma casa,su casa. Mrs.DP is doing well and ready to host you and Dj anytime. You are family and our door is always open.


quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
We do plan to head that way eventually, once Dok gives the good word.

KSCO2, any time my friend. Ma casa,su casa. Mrs.DP is doing well and ready to host you and Dj anytime. You are family and our door is always open.

Great news re: Mrs. DP, Dok! I'll contact you. Soon.
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
We do plan to head that way eventually, once Dok gives the good word.

KSCO2, any time my friend. Ma casa,su casa. Mrs.DP is doing well and ready to host you and Dj anytime. You are family and our door is always open.

Great news re: Mrs. DP, Dok! I'll contact you. Soon.


Wonderful news indeed.

When VinT and I had dinner recently, we were commenting on, in Toronto everyone has a cottage, in Montral everyone has a chalet, and how in Santa Fe everyone has their casa. Cool
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
We do plan to head that way eventually, once Dok gives the good word.

KSCO2, any time my friend. Ma casa,su casa. Mrs.DP is doing well and ready to host you and Dj anytime. You are family and our door is always open.

Great news re: Mrs. DP, Dok! I'll contact you. Soon.


Wonderful news indeed.

When VinT and I had dinner recently, we were commenting on, in Toronto everyone has a cottage, in Montral everyone has a chalet, and how in Santa Fe everyone has their casa. Cool

And in each place, great food, wines and friends congregate to have memorable times.
Life is good.
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
We do plan to head that way eventually, once Dok gives the good word.

KSCO2, any time my friend. Ma casa,su casa. Mrs.DP is doing well and ready to host you and Dj anytime. You are family and our door is always open.

Great news re: Mrs. DP, Dok! I'll contact you. Soon.


Wonderful news indeed.

When VinT and I had dinner recently, we were commenting on, in Toronto everyone has a cottage, in Montral everyone has a chalet, and how in Santa Fe everyone has their casa. Cool

And in each place, great food, wines and friends congregate to have memorable times.
Life is good.


I meant to close with, life is good. Life is good indeed, Bro!
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
2006 Smith Haut Lafitte Blanc


How did this go? Specifically, how is it compared to the '05 version? (I believe you've had this). Thanks man!

IB, the 2006 is a beautiful wine. Not quite the depth and richness of 2005, but tasty nonetheless. I don't have enough experience with white Bordeaux to say if it's drinking at peak today, but it seems to be in a great place and should hold for at least a few more years. (p.s. I have four left...should I save one for when you finally get to Toronto??)
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
1987 Diamond Creek Red Rock Terrace


Vin T, pls post TNs on this, especially re drinking window. Just got some of the 2010 at the Crossroads store. PC there said at least 10 more years.


I still have some 1978 and 1979 DCs, plus a 1984 Lake. Get down here this winter, bman!
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
1987 Diamond Creek Red Rock Terrace


Vin T, pls post TNs on this, especially re drinking window. Just got some of the 2010 at the Crossroads store. PC there said at least 10 more years.


I still have some 1978 and 1979 DCs, plus a 1984 Lake. Get down here this winter, bman!


We're thinking about it!
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
1987 Diamond Creek Red Rock Terrace


Vin T, pls post TNs on this, especially re drinking window. Just got some of the 2010 at the Crossroads store. PC there said at least 10 more years.

I'd be happy to, but I'm not sure my '87 RRT will bear much resemblance to your '10, with or without aging. My understanding of DC (and I am far from an expert on this) is that their style has changed numerous times since the glory days of the 70's-80's. All I know is every bottle from the eighties I have tried has been spectacular.
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
quote:
Originally posted by max:
1980 Silvio Nardi Brunello di Montalcino


Let us know how is goes. Curious.
Ok, opened this beauty last weekend. Fingers were crossed, prayers were said, then shortly after, the blessings were poured into our glasses. So grateful how this bottle showed. Brunello on the traditional, seductive side of the slopes. This bottle was in PRISTINE condition. Fill was well into the neck and cork was saturated half way up with no runners in sight. Slight bricking around the edges with a burnt magenta core. Slightly reserved nose in the beginning but picked up with time in the glass revealing red berry, wood and spice. Medium in weight which also picked up body with time. Palate showed definite signs of a wine with age, but in a good way. Mushrooms, cedar, medium ripe berry, assorted spices, and a slight hint of smokiness all came to the front with a nice bit of acidity to play a supporting role on the finish. Very earthy wine that can easily be mistaken as a mature Burgundy. Only difference in my opinion is the noticeable acidity coming from the Sangiovese. Beautiful pairing with the herb encrusted pork loin it was served with. Another example of a well cellared wine.
I'm preparing for an international Syrah tasting, so I'm standing a 1991 Guigal La Landonne, a 1996 Henschke Hill of Grace, and a 2005 Sine Qua Non 17th Nail in My Head. I'll throw in a red herring or two just to keep guests guessing, but I can't reveal those here, as the guests are also forum members. 'Very much looking forward to this! Cool
quote:
Originally posted by stickman:
I'm preparing for an international Syrah tasting, so I'm standing a 1991 Guigal La Landonne, a 1996 Henschke Hill of Grace, and a 2005 Sine Qua Non 17th Nail in My Head. I'll throw in a red herring or two just to keep guests guessing, but I can't reveal those here, as the guests are also forum members. 'Very much looking forward to this! Cool


Well, well. Wink
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by stickman:
I'm preparing for an international Syrah tasting, so I'm standing a 1991 Guigal La Landonne, a 1996 Henschke Hill of Grace, and a 2005 Sine Qua Non 17th Nail in My Head. I'll throw in a red herring or two just to keep guests guessing, but I can't reveal those here, as the guests are also forum members. 'Very much looking forward to this! Cool


Well, well. Wink


Stick, did you hold this event yet? If so, how did the LaLa show?

We need to drink wine together again. It has been longer than normal for us.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by stickman:
I'm preparing for an international Syrah tasting, so I'm standing a 1991 Guigal La Landonne, a 1996 Henschke Hill of Grace, and a 2005 Sine Qua Non 17th Nail in My Head. I'll throw in a red herring or two just to keep guests guessing, but I can't reveal those here, as the guests are also forum members. 'Very much looking forward to this! Cool


Well, well. Wink


Stick, did you hold this event yet? If so, how did the LaLa show?

We need to drink wine together again. It has been longer than normal for us.
Same here. Would love to hear how both the LaLa and Hill of Grace shown.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by stickman:
I'm preparing for an international Syrah tasting, so I'm standing a 1991 Guigal La Landonne, a 1996 Henschke Hill of Grace, and a 2005 Sine Qua Non 17th Nail in My Head. ...

Well, well. Wink

Stick, did you hold this event yet? If so, how did the LaLa show?

We need to drink wine together again. It has been longer than normal for us.

Agreed! This event has not yet taken place (just got back from the NY Wine Experience), and if you're in town in the next month or so, I could arrange it so that you're there to partake. (Btw, this is the last of my '91 LaLas.)

Max, I will definitely post results. Johann Henschke mentioned the '96 could go another 5-10 years to be at its peak, but I'm not willing to wait any longer. Cool
quote:
Originally posted by ABryce:
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
Machine, you're a '68er. Does that mean that someone does it to you and then you owe them one?


LOL!


Yes Dok and I'm looking for volunteers with Abryce's birth year...ha.

Also standing:

1967 La Mission Haut Brion
1973 Diamond Creek Volcanic Hill

But with 12 or 13 people coming I might grab a mag or two instead...damn pesky hungry thirsty well wishers!!

Add Reply

Post
×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×