What are you standing?

Big Grin

It was a result of email communication/discussion whether I may modify what I was to bring to a Supper last evening, going down to the cellar to stand the second one and casually return to post said second wine (I ended up taking the Siro Pacenti)
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
1987 Diamond Creek Red Rock Terrace


Vin T, pls post TNs on this, especially re drinking window. Just got some of the 2010 at the Crossroads store. PC there said at least 10 more years.


I still have some 1978 and 1979 DCs, plus a 1984 Lake. Get down here this winter, bman!
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
1987 Diamond Creek Red Rock Terrace


Vin T, pls post TNs on this, especially re drinking window. Just got some of the 2010 at the Crossroads store. PC there said at least 10 more years.


I still have some 1978 and 1979 DCs, plus a 1984 Lake. Get down here this winter, bman!


We're thinking about it!
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
1987 Diamond Creek Red Rock Terrace


Vin T, pls post TNs on this, especially re drinking window. Just got some of the 2010 at the Crossroads store. PC there said at least 10 more years.

I'd be happy to, but I'm not sure my '87 RRT will bear much resemblance to your '10, with or without aging. My understanding of DC (and I am far from an expert on this) is that their style has changed numerous times since the glory days of the 70's-80's. All I know is every bottle from the eighties I have tried has been spectacular.
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
quote:
Originally posted by max:
1980 Silvio Nardi Brunello di Montalcino


Let us know how is goes. Curious.
Ok, opened this beauty last weekend. Fingers were crossed, prayers were said, then shortly after, the blessings were poured into our glasses. So grateful how this bottle showed. Brunello on the traditional, seductive side of the slopes. This bottle was in PRISTINE condition. Fill was well into the neck and cork was saturated half way up with no runners in sight. Slight bricking around the edges with a burnt magenta core. Slightly reserved nose in the beginning but picked up with time in the glass revealing red berry, wood and spice. Medium in weight which also picked up body with time. Palate showed definite signs of a wine with age, but in a good way. Mushrooms, cedar, medium ripe berry, assorted spices, and a slight hint of smokiness all came to the front with a nice bit of acidity to play a supporting role on the finish. Very earthy wine that can easily be mistaken as a mature Burgundy. Only difference in my opinion is the noticeable acidity coming from the Sangiovese. Beautiful pairing with the herb encrusted pork loin it was served with. Another example of a well cellared wine.
1989 beaucastel the label is a bit worn but the fill is up to the neck. A rep at the store where purchased said I could return if it was bad (based on a conversation about the label). I hope I don't have to.

2006 tablas creek esprit de beaucastel blanc, a very nice wine that I hope shows as well as the last bottle.
I'm preparing for an international Syrah tasting, so I'm standing a 1991 Guigal La Landonne, a 1996 Henschke Hill of Grace, and a 2005 Sine Qua Non 17th Nail in My Head. I'll throw in a red herring or two just to keep guests guessing, but I can't reveal those here, as the guests are also forum members. 'Very much looking forward to this! Cool
quote:
Originally posted by stickman:
I'm preparing for an international Syrah tasting, so I'm standing a 1991 Guigal La Landonne, a 1996 Henschke Hill of Grace, and a 2005 Sine Qua Non 17th Nail in My Head. I'll throw in a red herring or two just to keep guests guessing, but I can't reveal those here, as the guests are also forum members. 'Very much looking forward to this! Cool


Well, well. Wink
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by stickman:
I'm preparing for an international Syrah tasting, so I'm standing a 1991 Guigal La Landonne, a 1996 Henschke Hill of Grace, and a 2005 Sine Qua Non 17th Nail in My Head. I'll throw in a red herring or two just to keep guests guessing, but I can't reveal those here, as the guests are also forum members. 'Very much looking forward to this! Cool


Well, well. Wink


Stick, did you hold this event yet? If so, how did the LaLa show?

We need to drink wine together again. It has been longer than normal for us.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by stickman:
I'm preparing for an international Syrah tasting, so I'm standing a 1991 Guigal La Landonne, a 1996 Henschke Hill of Grace, and a 2005 Sine Qua Non 17th Nail in My Head. I'll throw in a red herring or two just to keep guests guessing, but I can't reveal those here, as the guests are also forum members. 'Very much looking forward to this! Cool


Well, well. Wink


Stick, did you hold this event yet? If so, how did the LaLa show?

We need to drink wine together again. It has been longer than normal for us.
Same here. Would love to hear how both the LaLa and Hill of Grace shown.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by stickman:
I'm preparing for an international Syrah tasting, so I'm standing a 1991 Guigal La Landonne, a 1996 Henschke Hill of Grace, and a 2005 Sine Qua Non 17th Nail in My Head. ...

Well, well. Wink

Stick, did you hold this event yet? If so, how did the LaLa show?

We need to drink wine together again. It has been longer than normal for us.

Agreed! This event has not yet taken place (just got back from the NY Wine Experience), and if you're in town in the next month or so, I could arrange it so that you're there to partake. (Btw, this is the last of my '91 LaLas.)

Max, I will definitely post results. Johann Henschke mentioned the '96 could go another 5-10 years to be at its peak, but I'm not willing to wait any longer. Cool
quote:
Originally posted by ABryce:
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
Machine, you're a '68er. Does that mean that someone does it to you and then you owe them one?


LOL!


Yes Dok and I'm looking for volunteers with Abryce's birth year...ha.

Also standing:

1967 La Mission Haut Brion
1973 Diamond Creek Volcanic Hill

But with 12 or 13 people coming I might grab a mag or two instead...damn pesky hungry thirsty well wishers!!

Add Reply

Likes (0)
×
×
×
×