quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
Ha! The '85 Fonseca was pretty good too and was showing better than the '77 Taylor.


77' taylor sucks

there is so much bottle variation with that wine, it's at best 1 in 10 bottles that you'll find that will acutally drink well.

just a badly stored vintage overall
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
77' taylor sucks

there is so much bottle variation with that wine, it's at best 1 in 10 bottles that you'll find that will acutally drink well.

just a badly stored vintage overall

Frown not good news
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
Ha! The '85 Fonseca was pretty good too and was showing better than the '77 Taylor.


77' taylor sucks

there is so much bottle variation with that wine, it's at best 1 in 10 bottles that you'll find that will acutally drink well.

just a badly stored vintage overall


I would never claim to have the experience that g-man has with ports but I've had the 77 Taylor maybe four times, always with other portlovers with more experience than I, and it has shown well each time. Smile

But, if KSC wants to offload any of his 77s......
provenance is paramount wiht the t77' (or just about any other 77's)

i've drank about 11 btls the past 8 years and only one wasn't overly spirity and showing signs of heavy bricking.

same goes with fonseca 77. though i did open a stash w/ jburman a few years back taht was stunning. Dark ruby core, no signs of bricking still.

It's just unforutnate the secondary market for these ports just never stored them properly.
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
provenance is paramount wiht the t77' (or just about any other 77's)

i've drank about 11 btls the past 8 years and only one wasn't overly spirity and showing signs of heavy bricking.

same goes with fonseca 77. though i did open a stash w/ jburman a few years back taht was stunning. Dark ruby core, no signs of bricking still.

It's just unforutnate the secondary market for these ports just never stored them properly.


Agree completely. Hard to shell out the big bucks required to acquire older bottles without being very sure of their provenance.
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
provenance is paramount wiht the t77' (or just about any other 77's)

i've drank about 11 btls the past 8 years and only one wasn't overly spirity and showing signs of heavy bricking.

It's just unfortunate the secondary market for these ports just never stored them properly.

g-man, if my memory serves me correctly you and I both sourced a case of '77 Taylors a few years ago from the same source. I've opened a few. One was corked but the others seemed fine...

Didn't yours come in a closed case, pristine condition (wrapped in paper, neck tags still attached)?
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
provenance is paramount wiht the t77' (or just about any other 77's)

i've drank about 11 btls the past 8 years and only one wasn't overly spirity and showing signs of heavy bricking.

It's just unfortunate the secondary market for these ports just never stored them properly.

g-man, if my memory serves me correctly you and I both sourced a case of '77 Taylors a few years ago from the same source. I've opened a few. One was corked but the others seemed fine...

Didn't yours come in a closed case, pristine condition (wrapped in paper, neck tags still attached)?


alas, that was not me, i've bought most of mine when i was over in london. definitely not prestine
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
in anticipation for T-Dub's upcoming 35th birthday weekend:
1994 Chapoutier de L'oree Hermitage Blanc
1995 Henriot Cuvee des Enchanteleurs

You are a good man, TPE Cool
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
in anticipation for T-Dub's upcoming 35th birthday weekend:
1994 Chapoutier de L'oree Hermitage Blanc
1995 Henriot Cuvee des Enchanteleurs

You are a good man, TPE Cool
Anxious to hear how the 1994 Chapoutier Blanc shows.
If the shipment arrives today:
1987 Antinori Solaia

And a few burgs to go with some duck tomorrow:
2005 Prince Florence de Merode Corton Clos-du Roi
2002 Vincent Girardin Corton-Perrieres Vieilles Vignes
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
Also standing up a 1977 Martin Ray Cab as a surprise bottle- shhhh, don't tell him.
Hope this shows well for you. I have a bottle I was thinking about opening in a couple weeks.
quote:
Originally posted by max:
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
Also standing up a 1977 Martin Ray Cab as a surprise bottle- shhhh, don't tell him.
Hope this shows well for you. I have a bottle I was thinking about opening in a couple weeks.

Thanks so much Max! Will definitely post notes. Have had some tremendous success with these older Martin Ray cabs.
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
quote:
Originally posted by max:
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
Also standing up a 1977 Martin Ray Cab as a surprise bottle- shhhh, don't tell him.
Hope this shows well for you. I have a bottle I was thinking about opening in a couple weeks.

Thanks so much Max! Will definitely post notes. Have had some tremendous success with these older Martin Ray cabs.
Same here, in fact, I've had great success with all the older Martin Ray's I've opened, regardless of the varietal. The Pinots have been heavenly.
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
quote:
Originally posted by Machine:
1982 Meyney for tonight with the north of Toronto crew

You're torturing me!


+1

2002 Cos D'Estournel
2001 Guiraud
2006 Cos D'Estournel
2005 Messorio
1994 Pontet Canet
2009 Ch de Beauregard Fleurie Colonie des Rochegres
2010 Ch de Beauregard Fleurie Colonie des Rochegres
Last edited by vincentric
1989 Pichon Baron
1990 Pichon Baron


Should be fun to do a side by side....perhaps Sunday if my 'horses' do well in the Masters Wink
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
1997 M. Chapoutier Ermitage l'Ermite

looks like you and mangiare are gonna have one hell of a 97 rhone tasting in toronto!
Just added to the on deck standing bottles:

2007 Tenuta Rocca Barolo San Pietro
1995 Chiara Boschis Barolo Cannubi
Gaston Chiquet Blanc de Blanc NV

Add Reply

Post
×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×