quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
For tonight, and the next couple of nights:

- 2005 M. Sorrel Hermitage Le Gréal (have not tried this vintage yet; looking forward to it)
- 2005 Delas Cote-Rotie La Landonne
- 2000 and 2001 Le Vieux Donjon Chateauneuf du Pape
- 2003 Domaine Pegau Chateauneuf Cuvee Reservee
- 2001 Janasse Chateauneuf Vieilles Vignes
- 1995 Beaucastel Chateauneuf
- NV Paul Bara Champagne Grand Rosé
- NV Krug Champagne Grande Cuvee
- NV Vilmart Champagne Grand Cellier
- NV Heidsieck Champagne Brut Reserve (last bottle of 2008 disgorgement)

Now, just need a couple of whites and I'm ready for our company.

Oh, and also someone to do the clean up. Smile


No dessert wines?! Spit Shocked and appalled am I, shocked and appalled! Eek
quote:
Originally posted by bman:


No dessert wines?! Spit Shocked and appalled am I, shocked and appalled! Eek



You make a good point, bman. I just didn't take any of those out of my cellar, but once my wife tells me her dessert plans, I'm sure I'll be able to find something. Smile
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
quote:
Originally posted by bman:


No dessert wines?! Spit Shocked and appalled am I, shocked and appalled! Eek



You make a good point, bman. I just didn't take any of those out of my cellar, but once my wife tells me her dessert plans, I'm sure I'll be able to find something. Smile


My faith in you is restored! Wink

Merry Christmas to you and S!!! Winner
2000 Cos d'Estournel. Actually just decanted it to air for a few hours before dinner. Really didn't need to stand it at all. Virtually no sediment in this bottle. The nose is really wonderful. Hope the wine still isn't too young to enjoy... We'll find out in a few hours.

PH
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
2000 Cos d'Estournel. Actually just decanted it to air for a few hours before dinner. Really didn't need to stand it at all. Virtually no sediment in this bottle. The nose is really wonderful. Hope the wine still isn't too young to enjoy... We'll find out in a few hours.

PH

Looking forward to feedback from this evening's tasting
For tonight:

2002 Marc Hebrart Special Club (appetizers)
2001 Gunderloch Auslese (spicy calamari)
1998 Haut Brion (grilled veal)
2003 Pegau Da Capo (grilled veal)
1970 Taylor Fladgate VP (cheese)

A couple '98 BdM as backup for the veal just in case.
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
For tonight:

2002 Marc Hebrart Special Club (appetizers)
2001 Gunderloch Auslese (spicy calamari)
1998 Haut Brion (grilled veal)
2003 Pegau Da Capo (grilled veal)
1970 Taylor Fladgate VP (cheese)

A couple '98 BdM as backup for the veal just in case.

Cool
Kevin, if you and Dj make it to the cottage, these will pale in comparison to what we'll have in store. How's that for an invitation?
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
Kevin, if you and Dj make it to the cottage, these will pale in comparison to what we'll have in store. How's that for an invitation?

email previously sent, DP Wink
2006 Robert Foley Claret
2000 Command shiraz
2000 Kirwan
2000 Gruaud Larose
2003 Montelena Estate cab

(only going to open one to go with braised beef ribs but can't decide which!)
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
2006 Robert Foley Claret
2000 Command shiraz
2000 Kirwan
2000 Gruaud Larose
2003 Montelena Estate cab

(only going to open one to go with braised beef ribs but can't decide which!)


All good selections. My pick of that list would be the 2000 Gruaud Larose:

Of the older bottles, I'd give the Command and the Montelena more time. The 2000 Bordeaux that I've had are starting to drink so I'd the one of those that I prefer - the GL.

Bon apetit! Great winter dinner.
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
2000 Cos d'Estournel. Actually just decanted it to air for a few hours before dinner. Really didn't need to stand it at all. Virtually no sediment in this bottle. The nose is really wonderful. Hope the wine still isn't too young to enjoy... We'll find out in a few hours.

PH

How'd this show, PH? Smile
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
1998 Bodegas Vega-Sicilia Ribera del Duero Valbuena 5°
1998 La Rioja Alta Rioja Gran Reserva 890

Nice. I look forward to reading your notes.
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
1998 Bodegas Vega-Sicilia Ribera del Duero Valbuena 5°
1998 La Rioja Alta Rioja Gran Reserva 890

Nice. I look forward to reading your notes.

I stood both because I wasn't sure what I wanted to take to the restaurant. But I went with the Valbuena, Dok. Took it to LaVinia for my wife's birthday dinner. The wine was in a great place - elegant, great balance, fruit was still bright but there plenty of tertiary interest. I'm pleased that I have a few more.
For my daughter's upcoming 17th birthday celebration.

1998 Barossa Valley Estate Black Pepper E&E Shiraz
1998 Dallas Conte Rapel Valley Cabernet Sauvignon
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
1998 Bodegas Vega-Sicilia Ribera del Duero Valbuena 5°

...The wine was in a great place - elegant, great balance, fruit was still bright but there plenty of tertiary interest. I'm pleased that I have a few more.

Cool appreciated the notes on this, sunnylea.
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
Cool appreciated the notes on this, sunnylea.

Given that it was my wife's birthday, I wasn't taking notes. Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
Cool appreciated the notes on this, sunnylea.

Given that it was my wife's birthday, I wasn't taking notes. Big Grin

But it was enough. Sometimes less is more Wink
2000 Pontet Canet
2003 Tour Blanche
1989 Doisy Vedrines
2010 Ch de Beauregard Fleurie Colonie de Rochegres
2001 Mauro Veglio Barolo Castelletto
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
2000 Pontet Canet
2003 Tour Blanche
1989 Doisy Vedrines


i was eyeing the same three wines

how are they drinking?
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
1998 Bodegas Vega-Sicilia Ribera del Duero Valbuena 5°
1998 La Rioja Alta Rioja Gran Reserva 890


A merchant of my has this (1998 La Rioja Alta Rioja Gran Reserva 890) at $124 ... good price?
quote:
Originally posted by Pianist718:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
1998 Bodegas Vega-Sicilia Ribera del Duero Valbuena 5°
1998 La Rioja Alta Rioja Gran Reserva 890


A merchant of my has this (1998 La Rioja Alta Rioja Gran Reserva 890) at $124 ... good price?

That's more or less what I paid last year, but it's really irrelevant. What's relevant is the going rate on bottles available today, and you can check wine searcher just as easily as I can.
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
2000 Pontet Canet
2003 Tour Blanche
1989 Doisy Vedrines


i was eyeing the same three wines

how are they drinking?


The 2003 Pontet Canet was good, one of the better PC's of our PC vertical dinner. Drinking nicely now and has a long way to go.

The 1989 Doisy Vedrines was wondeful, but I like/prefer Sauternes with age on them. I still have a couple of the 1989s but wish I had more.

To me the 2003 Tour Blanche tasted a bit sweet/cloying in comparison beside the Doisy Vedrines. The 2003 Tour Blanche is a great wine but I'd leave it for a few years unless you like younger Sauternes. I had it a couple of years ago on it's own with Foie and it was great. The fruit was fresher then. Now I think it's in a bit of an awkward stage where the fruit isn't quite as fresh but tertiary flavours have yet to show. No rush on this one. I should note that others preferred the 2003 Tour Blanche at our dinner (why I like to serve an old one and a younger one with a larger group).
To add on to what ross said, I think I would have rather drank the 89 that night (love older sauternes), but I thought the 03 was a more complete (balanced) wine. Would love to see that wine with 20+ on it.
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
1985 Col d'Orcia Al Vento

If it's anything like the one I had with Longboarder in Montreal, it was an epiphony. Who knew BdM could age soooooo beautifully. It makes me want to hold onto my '01's for a dozen more years!
quote:
Originally posted by sarbuze:
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
1985 Col d'Orcia Al Vento


Nice! Great vintage in Montalcino- how was it?

The wine was outstanding! It was the best Brunello I've had. It's hard to believe it was almost 30 years old. I don't have specific notes. I remember it's youthful color with complex aromatics, smooth texture with plenty of red fruit.

Add Reply

Post
×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×