Doing two pork butts tomorrow. I always make two, as it's just as easy as making one. Then I pull them, and then give one to my daughter's family.

The grandsons have been spoiled on good bbq, and always jump on it when I bring some over. So have I apparently, as when I go to a bbq joint, my criteria is, "Is it better than mine?" Quite often, it isn't.

thelostverse posted:
mneeley490 posted:

So have I apparently, as when I go to a bbq joint, my criteria is, "Is it better than mine?" Quite often, it isn't.

This has ruined a few BBQ places for me as well.

Yep.The PNW isn't known for great BBQ, but I will always give credit where credit is due. There are two places near me that I love; one is unfortunately no longer in business, but there is another called "Jeff's Texas Style BBQ" that won an award in Food & Wine for best BBQ in WA state. I've known Jeff since before he started his place, and it is that good.

longboarder posted:

Just smoked a whole brisket using hickory and apple wood at 225 for 12.5 hours. Got an excellent smoke ring and the brisket was juicy after wrapping and 2 hours in the cooler. Internal temp hit 196. Not dry at all. Good cut to start with helps. 

Congrats.  Brisket is the hardest thing to smoke properly.  I need to try it again in the future, the last time I overcooked it a bit and a lot of it went to make brisket chili (which was quite good, but not what I was aiming for).

Smoked a packer brisket overnight Saturday night.  Pulled it around 11 AM Sunday.  Ended up with about a 3-5 lb flat for dinner Wednesday night.  Approximately 3 lbs of chopped brisket for sandwiches yesterday for lunch.  About another 1-2 lbs of KC burnt ends for the Super Bowl last night.  Eating high on the cow this week.

Smoked a Wagyu boneless Short Rib plate yesterday for the big game.  It was rubbed Saturday night and kept in the fridge until I put it on the smoker yesterday around 11:30 am.  Smoked over some pecan for about 6 hours and it was the best beef I've ever had.  This stuff was so rich and decadent that a brisket sized slice was enough to put me into a food coma for the night. 

thelostverse posted:

Smoked a Wagyu boneless Short Rib plate yesterday for the big game.  It was rubbed Saturday night and kept in the fridge until I put it on the smoker yesterday around 11:30 am.  Smoked over some pecan for about 6 hours and it was the best beef I've ever had.  This stuff was so rich and decadent that a brisket sized slice was enough to put me into a food coma for the night. 

Never used Pecan wood for Beef (almost exclusively oak for me).  Did you notice a difference in flavour vs other woods?

csm posted:
thelostverse posted:

Never used Pecan wood for Beef (almost exclusively oak for me).  Did you notice a difference in flavour vs other woods?

I love oak with beef, but I've seen Malcolm Reed use pecan, so I gave it a try.  The only difference I noticed was while it was on the smoker - once it came off, I couldn't tell any difference.  I'll probably just stick to oak with beef in the future.

Add Reply

Likes (0)