quote:
Originally posted by CSM:
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
quote:
Originally posted by snipes:
I'm not a texas crutch guy



I never quite understand why people are anti-foil/butcher paper. To me, it's merely a tool that makes most BBQ taste better. It also happens to speed up the cooking time on some things, but if I'm BBQ'ing, I'm never in a hurry anyway.

I'm not specifically talking about you here snipes, your post just happened to catch my attention this morning. Good luck with the brisket - I'm still struggling with that particular cut myself.


if you leave the meat in the foil too long the meat gets mushy like it does when it's parboiled before being smoked, and falls of the bone when doing ribs, neither of which you want.


I'm in full agreement on mushy meat or ribs falling off the bone. But if that happens, it's not the foil's fault - that's just overcooking the protein. It's done when it's done - not at a certain preconceived time.
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
and I remember scrambling to figure out how to keep it warm until we were ready to eat.


A finished brisket will hold for hours if you wrap it in foil after finished cooking (let the temp come down to about 170* to stop the carryover before wrapping it in foil), wrap it in several towels, and hold it in an empty cooler.
I did a whole duck on NYE. Marinated overnight with some Asian inspired flavors plus a little coarse mustard. Next day did a wet rub with salt, pepper, honey, coarse mustard, and a few other things.

Started at around 275 in the smoker (an hour or so) then brought i back down to 235 or so. It went for ~4 hours, and turned out with a ridiculously crisp skin and moist inside. Two in the group who dont "love duck because it's too fatty" really enjoyed it as a lot of the fat rendered out and it was just really good tasting duck meat and skin.

Will do another one soon playing around with dry rubs.

I tend to not use recipes and this time it worked out well.
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
quote:
Originally posted by CSM:
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
quote:
Originally posted by snipes:
I'm not a texas crutch guy



I never quite understand why people are anti-foil/butcher paper. To me, it's merely a tool that makes most BBQ taste better. It also happens to speed up the cooking time on some things, but if I'm BBQ'ing, I'm never in a hurry anyway.

I'm not specifically talking about you here snipes, your post just happened to catch my attention this morning. Good luck with the brisket - I'm still struggling with that particular cut myself.


if you leave the meat in the foil too long the meat gets mushy like it does when it's parboiled before being smoked, and falls of the bone when doing ribs, neither of which you want.


I'm in full agreement on mushy meat or ribs falling off the bone. But if that happens, it's not the foil's fault - that's just overcooking the protein. It's done when it's done - not at a certain preconceived time.


True, but my point was it makes it harder to monitor. You have to be very precise with foil. It can go from perfect to overdone in an instant.
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
and I remember scrambling to figure out how to keep it warm until we were ready to eat.


A finished brisket will hold for hours if you wrap it in foil after finished cooking (let the temp come down to about 170* to stop the carryover before wrapping it in foil), wrap it in several towels, and hold it in an empty cooler.


Yeah. I did this with a full packer brisket that also got done a lot quicker than I thought. I left it in the butcher paper (I wrap it half way through the cook), and wrapped those in towels, and set them in an empty cooler. Five hours later it was still too hot to handle.
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
and I remember scrambling to figure out how to keep it warm until we were ready to eat.


A finished brisket will hold for hours if you wrap it in foil after finished cooking (let the temp come down to about 170* to stop the carryover before wrapping it in foil), wrap it in several towels, and hold it in an empty cooler.


Yeah. I did this with a full packer brisket that also got done a lot quicker than I thought. I left it in the butcher paper (I wrap it half way through the cook), and wrapped those in towels, and set them in an empty cooler. Five hours later it was still too hot to handle.

+1
Briskets are funny things. No two cook exactly alike. Most full packers I've done took between 16-25 hours. One shocked me when it was done in 8 hours. Since it was done so early, it threw my dinner timing off, so I wrapped in towels and placed it in the cooler. 12 hours later, it was still hot and perfect.
Smoked a small (5 lb or so) brisket today for the Packers game. Was done in 5ish hours with no stall whatsoever, so it was done way earlier than I expected. Blankets and foil and a cooler and it was still hot and ready to eat 3 hours later.
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
Has anybody finished brisket in the oven after starting it on the smoker? I've done that with pork butt (first 5 hours on smoker, rest in oven) and am wondering about doing it with the brisket.


Pretty sure that's a felony in 37 states. Razz
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
Has anybody finished brisket in the oven after starting it on the smoker? I've done that with pork butt (first 5 hours on smoker, rest in oven) and am wondering about doing it with the brisket.


I have a couple of times when I've run out of fuel or just don't feel like adding more for a short time. Heat is heat. I know of several people that will take a brisket off the smoker after four or five hours and if the bark has set. A protein will only take smoke for so long. After that, the BBQ smells good, but the brisket is not getting anymore smoke. Pop it in the oven and finish it off at the temp you would have used on the smoker.
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
Has anybody finished brisket in the oven after starting it on the smoker? I've done that with pork butt (first 5 hours on smoker, rest in oven) and am wondering about doing it with the brisket.


I have a couple of times when I've run out of fuel or just don't feel like adding more for a short time. Heat is heat. I know of several people that will take a brisket off the smoker after four or five hours and if the bark has set. A protein will only take smoke for so long. After that, the BBQ smells good, but the brisket is not getting anymore smoke. Pop it in the oven and finish it off at the temp you would have used on the smoker.


I imagine that would be the case - glad to hear someone has experienced it. Right now I don't want to be slogging around outside in the mud that used to be my lawn more than I have to, so may give it a try.
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
Has anybody finished brisket in the oven after starting it on the smoker? I've done that with pork butt (first 5 hours on smoker, rest in oven) and am wondering about doing it with the brisket.


Pretty sure that's a felony in 37 states. Razz


Shhhhhhhhh
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
Has anybody finished brisket in the oven after starting it on the smoker? I've done that with pork butt (first 5 hours on smoker, rest in oven) and am wondering about doing it with the brisket.


Pretty sure that's a felony in 37 states. Razz


Only Texas. Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
Has anybody finished brisket in the oven after starting it on the smoker? I've done that with pork butt (first 5 hours on smoker, rest in oven) and am wondering about doing it with the brisket.


I have a couple of times when I've run out of fuel or just don't feel like adding more for a short time. Heat is heat. I know of several people that will take a brisket off the smoker after four or five hours and if the bark has set. A protein will only take smoke for so long. After that, the BBQ smells good, but the brisket is not getting anymore smoke. Pop it in the oven and finish it off at the temp you would have used on the smoker.


I imagine that would be the case - glad to hear someone has experienced it. Right now I don't want to be slogging around outside in the mud that used to be my lawn more than I have to, so may give it a try.

If you subscribe to the "Texas crutch" style of smoking brisket, then it's all the more justification for taking the brisket out of the smoker and finishing it in an oven. Here's a somewhat dense analysis of a couple Texas crutch styles versus "naked":

http://www.genuineideas.com/Ar...Index/thecrutch.html

Logically (unless you think that smoke can readily penetrate aluminum foil) if you use the Texas crutch method, then there's little difference between continued heat coming from a smoker versus a conventional oven to finish off your brisket.
quote:
Originally posted by fusionstorm:

If you subscribe to the "Texas crutch" style of smoking brisket, then it's all the more justification for taking the brisket out of the smoker and finishing it in an oven. Here's a somewhat dense analysis of a couple Texas crutch styles versus "naked":

http://www.genuineideas.com/Ar...Index/thecrutch.html

Logically (unless you think that smoke can readily penetrate aluminum foil) if you use the Texas crutch method, then there's little difference between continued heat coming from a smoker versus a conventional oven to finish off your brisket.


Neat article. I'll have to read it when I'm not light headed from painkillers.

I wrap in butcher paper after about 6 hours, so I guess that would be a logical time to bring it in....
I've done it all. Stayed up all night to babysit the charcoal horizontal smoker, even with snow on the ground. Swapped out propane tanks when it ran out in the middle of the night in my gasser. And at some point I got smart(er) and bought a remote thermometer with an alarm, so I could keep tabs on both the meat and smoker temp in my electric fridge conversion, from the comfort of my warm bed. Now, if it's not done by the time I get up, it goes into the oven for the last few hours. Usually wrapped in foil or butcher paper.
The brisket turned out really well. I *think* I could have left it on a little more - the points were great but the flat could have been a little easier to pull apart. I guess I'll get to a point where I can tell easily when to pull them off.

It got 6 hours of smoke in a 13 hour cook, and finished in butcher paper in the oven.

Now, what are your top suggestions about what to do with leftovers? We served 7 and still have a bunch of brisket left.
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
The brisket turned out really well. I *think* I could have left it on a little more - the points were great but the flat could have been a little easier to pull apart. I guess I'll get to a point where I can tell easily when to pull them off.
Toothpick test. It's perfect when you can slide a toothpick into it, and it feels like warm butter.

Now, what are your top suggestions about what to do with leftovers? We served 7 and still have a bunch of brisket left.
Mine usually start out at 15-18 lbs, so I have lots of leftovers, too. Hash is good, so is chili.

LOL, Thistlin Tom beat me to it.
I am smoking a delicious loin of albacore, which will be spice and brown sugar rubbed, and smoked for 2.5 hours, removed, and "pulled", much like, pulled pork.

With this, I create a wonderfully delicious smoked albacore taco. Served atop my fluffy homemade tortillas, is a refreshing and colourful cabbage, spring onion and green apple slaw, a healthy serving of the smoked albacore. Finally, a sweet and spicy mango habanero sauce is drizzled atop for a refreshing, delightful Sonoma afternoon, al-fresco lunch, absolutely! I trust you will follow my lead and prepare this dish for yourselves, with due reverence!

Cheers!
~W&FE~
quote:
Originally posted by Wine and Food Expert:
I am smoking a delicious loin of albacore, which will be spice and brown sugar rubbed, and smoked for 2.5 hours, removed, and "pulled", much like, pulled pork.

With this, I create a wonderfully delicious smoked albacore taco. Served atop my fluffy homemade tortillas, is a refreshing and colourful cabbage, spring onion and green apple slaw, a healthy serving of the smoked albacore. Finally, a sweet and spicy mango habanero sauce is drizzled atop for a refreshing, delightful Sonoma afternoon, al-fresco lunch, absolutely! I trust you will follow my lead and prepare this dish for yourselves, with due reverence!

Cheers!
~W&FE~


i expect more from you. please tell me you rode a manta ray bareback to the cocos islands where you hand-wrestled a world-record albacore in a kelp forest... or smoked it with the dried petals of atamcama desert rose that bloom, well, not necessarily every year....

otherwise i had these at some parkdale hipster taco joint for lunch the other day and they were kind of menh... with a few micheladas absolutely!

i will assume this is a one off slip. I continue to hold you to a higher standard of entertainment.
quote:


otherwise i had these at some parkdale hipster taco joint for lunch the other day and they were kind of menh... with a few micheladas absolutely!


I had the nearly exact same tacos at a smoked fish taco joint in Cayucos that I go to when I'm in town. I mean, about exactly the same ingredients except for a few substitutions.

I'm attempting my first brisket of 2017 this weekend using the Franklin method I watched on YouTube. Only the flat and no point so I'll save some $$ if it's a failure.
quote:
Originally posted by WinoCA:


I'm attempting my first brisket of 2017 this weekend using the Franklin method I watched on YouTube. Only the flat and no point so I'll save some $$ if it's a failure.


It's going to be awesome. What do you mean by "Franklin method?" Wrapping in butcher paper at some point?
Used the Franklin method today to smoke an 8lb brisket on the BGE. Used mostly oak chunks but also a bit of hickory. I have always been an unabashed foil guy but those days are behind me and I'm now going to use exclusively butcher paper. The texture is just better and I found the brisket to have more moisture, even after 3 or so hours in the cooler, than I do with foil.
The brisket flavor was spot on (this was only the flat, no point). Peppery, all around bark, smoky, beefy with a nice little rendered fat layer on top. The whole pull test thing was also good and the meat was nice and tender. However, it was slightly on the dry side, and could use some improvement. I had a small water container below the brisket and sprayed it once with cider vinegar. The temp was maintained at 250 the entire time and I used lump charcoal (oak and hickory) with a few nice chunks of red oak. I wrapped it when it hit just under 170 and pulled it at 203. Any tips? More spraying? Bigger water bath? I'd say it was about 85% on target and I'm pretty happy with that result since I'm a bit new to this.
They all cook differently. I might have sprayed it a couple more times, as the flat is much leaner than the point, but that's all. Sometimes you can do everything right, and it will still turn out a little dry. Blame it on the cow.
What kind of bbq or smoker are you using?
Decided on brisket for the Superbowl, so fired up a 14 lb. packer on Saturday night. The meat hit the rack at about 9 PM and went through the night. Temps were in the 20's overnight so I figured the smoker might need some tending. The Weber Smokey Mountain usually finds it's temp and will run pretty smoothly, but I was fighting it most of the night due to the outside temp. Anyway, the low temp alarm woke me at 5 AM, and rather than fight the smoker, I moved the brisket into the oven for the rest of the cook.

It was the best brisket I've ever done and the burnt ends were fantastic. Brisket has been my nemesis, but usually because I run out of patience as everyone is hungry for dinner. I waited this one out and everybody was happy.
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
They all cook differently. I might have sprayed it a couple more times, as the flat is much leaner than the point, but that's all. Sometimes you can do everything right, and it will still turn out a little dry. Blame it on the cow.
What kind of bbq or smoker are you using?


I was using Black Angus beef (choice) and a medium size Big Green Egg.
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
Decided on brisket for the Superbowl, so fired up a 14 lb. packer on Saturday night. The meat hit the rack at about 9 PM and went through the night. Temps were in the 20's overnight so I figured the smoker might need some tending. The Weber Smokey Mountain usually finds it's temp and will run pretty smoothly, but I was fighting it most of the night due to the outside temp.


What do you use for fuel? I tried a few different versions of lump charcoal in my WSM and all of them make it hard for me to stabilize the temp for a long period. I have started using Kingsford "professional" or something like that. It keeps a stable temp for a long time, but it gives off a mighty awful smell when it ignites so i have to let it burn awhile before I put it in the WSM.

I'm still looking for the perfect fuel.
quote:
Originally posted by WinoCA:
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
They all cook differently. I might have sprayed it a couple more times, as the flat is much leaner than the point, but that's all. Sometimes you can do everything right, and it will still turn out a little dry. Blame it on the cow.
What kind of bbq or smoker are you using?


I was using Black Angus beef (choice) and a medium size Big Green Egg.

Dunno. That's the one type of smoker that I don't have any experience with. Been looking at a couple of knock-offs recently, but I'm not sure how well the wife would react if I brought yet another smoker home.
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:

What do you use for fuel?


I use the Kingsford Original most of the time. I find it very reliable and generally have no issues. I knew with the cold temps I might have some problems, but nothing I can't handle with a few adjustments. The bigger issue not mentioned in my original post was the wind. Fairly strong and gusting winds out of the Northeast. This is definitely not the prevailing winds for my deck - I should have closed the vent facing the wind and adjusted the other two vents to compensate.

I had plenty of fuel left when I moved to the oven, I just didn't feel like messing with it at 5 AM when I was still mostly asleep. I chucked it in the oven and went back to sleep.

Weber has just released a new briquette, but I haven't tried it yet. I will soon.
I put on a pork butt this morning. I moved it to the oven at 6 hours and put a side of salmon on the smoker. The salmon is done and my wife says it is delicious (I am not a fan). The butt is still cooking - looking forward to pulled pork this evening.
quote:
Originally posted by WinoCA:
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
They all cook differently. I might have sprayed it a couple more times, as the flat is much leaner than the point, but that's all. Sometimes you can do everything right, and it will still turn out a little dry. Blame it on the cow.
What kind of bbq or smoker are you using?


I was using Black Angus beef (choice) and a medium size Big Green Egg.


I feel your pain. Every flat-only smoke I did on my BGE turned out a little dry-ish. Just not a ton of fat on that meat to stand up to what ultimately is a very dry heat (even if you have a water pan underneath).

Due to time constraints, I purchased a pellet smoker last year and have not run into the same problem. But, now, I try to buy either full briskets or at least briskets with some portion of the point end on it so that I can use the fat cap to moisturize the meat during a long smoke

Add Reply

Likes (0)
×
×
×
×