purplehaze posted:

Have been reading a bit of Michael J. Sullivan. Riyria Chronicles and Riyria Revelations most recently.  Just downloaded his latest in the Legends of the First Empire series.  Fun stuff.

PH

Funny - I read these as well - about to start Age of Swords

jcocktosten posted:
purplehaze posted:

Have been reading a bit of Michael J. Sullivan. Riyria Chronicles and Riyria Revelations most recently.  Just downloaded his latest in the Legends of the First Empire series.  Fun stuff.

PH

I particularly enjoy that a male fantasy writer has made all of the smartest and most capable human characters women

jcocktosten posted:
jcocktosten posted:
purplehaze posted:

PH

I particularly enjoy that a male fantasy writer has made all of the smartest and most capable human characters women

Very good point, jc.  Every guy would be lucky to have a Gwen in his life.

PH

purplehaze posted:
jcocktosten posted:
jcocktosten posted:
purplehaze posted:

PH

PH

Almost done with Age of War and it is incredible.  This series is fantastic

wineismylife posted:

“Adventures on the Wine Route: A Wine Buyer’s Tour of France” by Kermit Lynch.  Good book. Being a learned wine lover I didn’t learn a lot of new stuff from the book but it was a good refresher course so to speak.  It is a bit dated at this point even with the updates section at the end of the newer releases but many of the stories are interesting and entertaining still.  If you’re a studious wine lover I’d say recommended. If you’re not into wine industry knowledge then pass.

Picked this up and read through it in short order.  Really enjoyed it.  Amazing how his general discussion of natural wines and anti-wine critic sentiment written in 1988 is still so relevant today.

steve8 posted:
purplehaze posted:
steve8 posted:

Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders

I'll be interested in your impressions.  Didn't do it for me, and I wanted to like it.

PH

I'm about halfway through, but the style/format is a little irritating.

I did not last long at all

vinoevelo posted:
wineismylife posted:

“Adventures on the Wine Route: A Wine Buyer’s Tour of France” by Kermit Lynch.  Good book. Being a learned wine lover I didn’t learn a lot of new stuff from the book but it was a good refresher course so to speak.  It is a bit dated at this point even with the updates section at the end of the newer releases but many of the stories are interesting and entertaining still.  If you’re a studious wine lover I’d say recommended. If you’re not into wine industry knowledge then pass.

Picked this up and read through it in short order.  Really enjoyed it.  Amazing how his general discussion of natural wines and anti-wine critic sentiment written in 1988 is still so relevant today.

The first wine book my father ever gave me.  Liked it a lot.  Not sure how it's aged, but need to dig it out of whatever box it's stashed in and give it another go.

PH

A quick thought for those of you who have Kindles.  We have the ability to share a book (at least most titles) with friends for up to 2 weeks.  Might not be a bad thing for us to pool resources and start a little lending library here.  If I've made a note on any book that anyone here might be interested in, let me know here and I'll gladly hook you up.  I don't visit here as often as I used to, but I'll check in a few times a week and will respond if there's any interest!

PH

purplehaze posted:

A quick thought for those of you who have Kindles.  We have the ability to share a book (at least most titles) with friends for up to 2 weeks.  Might not be a bad thing for us to pool resources and start a little lending library here.  If I've made a note on any book that anyone here might be interested in, let me know here and I'll gladly hook you up.  I don't visit here as often as I used to, but I'll check in a few times a week and will respond if there's any interest!

PH

Would be happy to but I get all my books from the library

jcocktosten posted:
purplehaze posted:

PH

I used to as well.  Kept getting books with filthy covers and food stains on the pages.  Figured that I'd go digital a few years back.  Our local library system is not the best, despite our significant tax base.  Let me know if you ever get an e-reader.  It appears we have similar tastes. 

PH

purplehaze posted:
jcocktosten posted:
purplehaze posted:

PH

I used to as well.  Kept getting books with filthy covers and food stains on the pages.  Figured that I'd go digital a few years back.  Our local library system is not the best, despite our significant tax base.  Let me know if you ever get an e-reader.  It appears we have similar tastes. 

PH

I read all books on Kindle but get them all from the library for free - my taxes

The Autumn Republic - Book 3 of the Powder Mage Trilogy by Brian McClellan - I read Book 1 last year when my mom passed away and we were in DC for a couple weeks.  After that, never picked up the series for some reason - read book 2 recently and will be done with book 3 soon.   Enjoying,

Ben Shapiro's The Right Side of History - his primary thesis is that the combination of Judeo-Christian values and Greek's power of reason provided the basis for the great achievements of  Western civilization and most specifically the United States.  The US in particular got things right with the adherence to Judeo-Christian values and Greek reasoning in developing the Constitution and governmental structure.  He provides a lot of basis for this and relates the ideas of the key philosophers over history to governmental structures.  The last part is primarily his concern about the breakdown of our values and reasoning and that it is jeopardizing the greatness of our society.  It is a well thought out book whether you believe in his views of current society.

thistlintom posted:

Ben Shapiro's The Right Side of History - his primary thesis is that the combination of Judeo-Christian values and Greek's power of reason provided the basis for the great achievements of  Western civilization and most specifically the United States.  The US in particular got things right with the adherence to Judeo-Christian values and Greek reasoning in developing the Constitution and governmental structure.  He provides a lot of basis for this and relates the ideas of the key philosophers over history to governmental structures.  The last part is primarily his concern about the breakdown of our values and reasoning and that it is jeopardizing the greatness of our society.  It is a well thought out book whether you believe in his views of current society.

Oh God. No I don't believe his views of current society.

Ben Shapiro can't stop contradicting himself

One confused lad.

This piece of filth says it all about his thesis:

"(T)he Jews who vote for Obama are, by and large, Jews In Name Only (JINOs). They eat bagels and lox; they watch 'Schindler’s List'; they visit temple on Yom Kippur — sometimes. But they do not care about Israel.”

Nothing worse in my book than a Jew who takes it about himself to tell Jews who isn't and who is Jewish. 

purplehaze posted:
steve8 posted:

Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders

I'll be interested in your impressions.  Didn't do it for me, and I wanted to like it.

PH

I ended up liking it once I got used to all the voices. Not a great book, but I can see how its originality won the Booker Prize.

Just finished

French Exit by Patrick deWitt.

Easy read, funny and well written.

jcocktosten posted:
purplehaze posted:
jcocktosten posted:
jcocktosten posted:
purplehaze posted:

PH

PH

Based on this conversation, I was going to start with this book, but instead went back to the beginning with the Riyria Revelations, and am currently on Rise of Empire.  Really enjoying this so far.

thelostverse posted:
jcocktosten posted:
purplehaze posted:
jcocktosten posted:
jcocktosten posted:
purplehaze posted:

PH

PH

Based on this conversation, I was going to start with this book, but instead went back to the beginning with the Riyria Revelations, and am currently on Rise of Empire.  Really enjoying this so far.

I think this was the correct call.  I read Ryria Revelations, followed by Chronicles then started the First Empire series and I think that is the correct reading order.  Very enjoyable characters and series of books.  Really enjoy this author

Just finished Chances Are..., Richards Russo's first novel in a decade. 

It takes place in September 2015, over a weekend get-together of three college friends who are now 66 years old and were are all part of the first Vietnam draft lottery.  The absence of their fourth friend Jacy (each was in love with her) who disappeared after a similar get-together post-graduation looms over their weekend and weaves through the various narrative flashbacks.  

It's solid (but not great) late career Russo and more like That Old Cape Magic  than Empire Falls or his other novels.  

Neil

Add Reply

Likes (0)