What are you reading?

As a Los Angelesphile (sic) and a fan of the archetype of the LA detective I really enjoy the Bosch TV series on Amazon. Though usually not a reader of popular fiction I finally did pick the book series up and have inhaled all 20 books in about 3 months. As I read books 19 and 20 I marveled at how Michael Connelly, after all these years, still manages to come up with fresh and inventive stories.

“The Hate U Give” by Angie Thomas.  Nice work of fiction that sadly plays out as truth on our streets all too often.  Young adult targeted book that reads well and keeps the attention of adults and young alike.  About a black teenager that witnesses not one but two of her best friends die. One by a gangbanger and another by a cop.  Justice is not found for either of them. Riots ensue. Lots of interesting "black on black" types of conversations. Frank discussions.  Gives you a glimpse of what it is like to be black in an urban and impoverished setting in America. Recommended.

Righteous Mind by Jonathan Haidt who is a professor of moral psychology.  Interesting book that gets into the development of man's moral foundations.  Also discusses differences between the left and the right without making any judgments.  Provides understandings why groups have their own sets of morals and why they can be blind to understanding other groups sets of morals.  

“Astrophysics for People in a Hurry” by Neil deGrasse Tyson. Nifty little book. Chocked full of science for dummies so to speak with the occasional nerd joke to get you to chuckle. Quick and easy read. Having already read works by Carl Sagan, Brian Greene and Stephen Hawking this obviously was a bit of a rudimentary read at this time. Still had fun reading it.

Add Reply

Likes (0)