What are you reading?

irwin posted:

the Day the World Came to Town........  About the wonderful people in Gander, Newfoundland (and elsewhere in Newfoundland) and how they behaved in September 2011 when many planes were forced to land in Gander.

This just became my first ever book download, and I’m looking forward to reading it. Thanks for posting this, Irwin.

Swords Against Death

One of the Fafhrd and Grey Mouser novels from Fritz Lieber.  Classic sword and sorcery that I read as a kid.  I dug it out and decided to re-read it.  Brings back a lot of memories from this genre.  Definitely in the category of Michael Moorcock, Poul Anderson, and, of course, Tolkien.

purplehaze posted:

100 pages into The Shadow of the Wind, by Carlos Ruiz Zafón.  So far, I'm quite smitten.  Beautiful writing. and compelling story  And, any book that starts out  a visit to "The Cemetery of Forgotten Books," hast to be good!

PH 

Just finished this one yesterday.  I liked it a lot.  Recommended.

PH

thelostverse posted:
purplehaze posted:

Just finished The Other Woman by Daniel Silva.  Another in his great series featuring Gabriel Allon.  Lots of current events woven into a fun story that covers a lot of history as well.  Fun stuff!

PH

I just finished this today - loved it like all the others.  I am wondering how much further they can take Gabriel unless they visit the past and delve into other events from his youth. 

Mrs. S and I are both reading this. I'm about 2/3rds of the way through and she just finished. We've thoroughly enjoyed the series so far, but neither of us were overly impressed with this one. It wasn't bad, but it felt inert. Nothing much happens. It never really works up any steam. In many ways, it reminded me of a 1960s Le Carré Cold War novel. 

“Cosmos” by Carl Sagan. I’ve always meant to read this book since it was released but I never got around to it. Finally made time recently to read it. I enjoyed it although it is a bit dated at this point and covers material that has been explored in much more detail since by other scientists. Still an interesting read taking a step back in time so to speak.

“The Restless Wave: Good Times, Just Causes, Great Fights and Other Appreciations” by John McCain & Mark Salter.  I enjoyed the book. Mostly a rehash of stuff that has been covered over the years or summation of recent political events as well as his personal health towards the end as he struggled with cancer.  Timely, fitting tribute to read about a man that served a higher purpose than himself.

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.
And I'm very impressed with this book!           

...........................................................................................................................................................    "Wine is the only artwork you can drink" - Luis Fernando Olaverri.                                                  if you need some help with writing works, don't hesitate to visit EssayShark  ...........................................................................................................................................................

theoldman posted:
Baieriorr posted:

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.
And I'm very impressed with this book!           

You didn't notice what a terrible writer she was?

😁😁  but she is the intellectual inspiration of mental midgets everywhere.  Evil government regulation stinks. Selfishness rules

“Corkscrew: The highly improbable, but occasionally true, tale of a professional wine buyer” by Peter Stafford-Bow. Funny book. In places I was laughing uncontrollably. As a knowledgeable wine lover I really enjoyed all the wine references plastered throughout the book. If you’re a fellow student of wine and enjoy a bit of naughty humor then this book is for you.

Rachel Kane's book "Dead Lake" gives you the opportunity to get acquainted with the "version" of the wife of the brutal serial killer Melvyn Royal, who spent almost 10 years living with him in a successful marriage, raising two children and not suspecting anything ... not knowing that in the garage near their house, the husband-maniac equipped a real torture room, where he tortured his victims, tearing off their skin alive.https://inkhive.com/2018/07/28...bsite-function-well/

theoldman posted:
John Sharpp posted:

The Fountainhead is better--one reason it's a lot shorter and a lot less ridiculous. However she was never a sterling writer.

I've never been plagiarized on a forum until now.

That's just bizarre. And only 5 posts apart. A bot?

sunnylea57 posted:
theoldman posted:
John Sharpp posted:

The Fountainhead is better--one reason it's a lot shorter and a lot less ridiculous. However she was never a sterling writer.

I've never been plagiarized on a forum until now.

That's just bizarre. And only 5 posts apart. A bot?

Even weirder, he set up an account on the 10th and posted this--his one and only post. Should I be flattered?

Add Reply

Likes (0)