Just started to read Doris Kearns Goodwin's baseball book, "Wait 'Til Next Year."  Seems like an appropriate title.

irwin posted:

Just started to read Doris Kearns Goodwin's baseball book, "Wait 'Til Next Year."  Seems like an appropriate title.

Speaking of baseball, I am currently reading in order all of Philips Roth's books. His first real novel after Portnoy's Complaint is the 370 page, pretty much forgotten, The Great American Novel. It's about the decades long career of sportswriter Word Smith who used to write the, "One Man's Opinion column in the [non-existent] Finest Family Newspapers back in the days of the [non-existent third baseball league called the] Patriot League (1920s.)" While fictional there are more baseball facts and stories in this book than any I can image. Real players, coaches, stats from the 20s to the 70s are blended with a totally over the top writing that would eventually lead Roth to be the leading fiction writer of his generation.

I am a huge Roth fan, and actually just reread The Great American Novel. It's a fantasy/ parody set during World War 2 and follows the Rupert Mundys baseball team whose players are some of Roth's best drawn characters, One of Roth's least appreciated and least read books. A great read.

Just finished Tad Williams' Memory Sorrow and Thorn series with To Green Angel Tower - waiting for some other books so started the Shadowmarch series

@Rothko posted:

I've decided to reread The Lord of the Rings again, so I am prefacing it by starting with The Hobbit.

Perhaps the books I have read most frequently - I recall reading them all during Hurricane Wilma - 

“Night Boat to Tangier” by Kevin Barry.  It was good, not very good nor great as many have touted but I finished and somewhat enjoyed this quick read anyway.

Just finished Blood of Empire Book 3 of the Gods of Blood and Powder series in the Powder Mage world by Brian McClellan - very satisfying and entertaining.

Just started Age of Death by Michael Sullivan - Book 4 of the Legends of the First Empire series.

Also Knife of Dreams by Robert Jordan - Book 11 of Wheel of Time - I have been waiting for both of these for so long - I needed a refresher for characters and events 

A History of Canada in Ten Maps - Adam Shoalts.  I kept wondering why none of this was covered in the high school history curriculum.  Makes me want to grab a canoe and go dissapear a while.

Educated by Tara Westover

Two thirds finished but a really good read so far. I find myself shaking my head in disbelief at times about her upbringing.

@steve8 posted:

Educated by Tara Westover

Two thirds finished but a really good read so far. I find myself shaking my head in disbelief at times about her upbringing.

What a f***ed up father and brother she had/has. 😳

A Gathering Storm - Book 12 Wheel of Time.  About 1/3 done. First book in series written by Brandon Sanderson after Robert Jordan's death.   As I am a big Sanderson fan, I actually am enjoying it more I have to admit.  I really disliked Book 10 of this series.   

@irwin posted:

Steven King’s  1/22/63.   Over 800 pages.  Will take me a long time.  Anyone out there read it?

I read it and liked it.  It also reads faster than the page count might indicate.

PH

Last edited by purplehaze
@jcocktosten posted:

A Gathering Storm - Book 12 Wheel of Time.  About 1/3 done. First book in series written by Brandon Sanderson after Robert Jordan's death.   As I am a big Sanderson fan, I actually am enjoying it more I have to admit.  I really disliked Book 10 of this series.   

Finished that, finished Book 13 -  Towers of Midnight - now on the final book 14 - A Memory of Light

The end is in sight.  

An especially entertaining series of triggered and deranged tweets from the petulant one.

One that's been on my "to read" list for many years, but I'm finally getting around to it now. Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.