I am re-reading Lone Wolf and Cub, an epic manga series by Kazuo Koike and Goseki Kojima. It is unbelievably good.

As for novels, I just finished "Bloodletting and Miraculous Cures" by Vincent Lam. He recently won the Giller Prize and I wanted to see what the hoopla was about. I must say, I enjoyed it.
Currently reading Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson. How this book ever got by me before is beyond me. Guterson is a great writer.

Of course, I'll have to check out the movie now when I'm done with the book and see how bad it sucks in comparison.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Just finished To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee. Thanks to GA for the recommendation.

You actually made it through school without reading this? I'm surprised.

Just finished Brothers, by Da Chen. Moving on to The Tender Bar, by J.R. Moehringer.

PH
quote:
Originally posted by RobM:
Currently reading Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson. How this book ever got by me before is beyond me. Guterson is a great writer.

Of course, I'll have to check out the movie now when I'm done with the book and see how bad it sucks in comparison.

The book and the movie are naturally a lot different. Both are good, and is worth picking up if you see it in the $5 bin at Wal-Mart. Seeing as I am married to a Korean woman, there were some themes in the novel that hit close to home. Then again, being married to a Korean woman, there was a lot of character development that I felt apathetic towards.

No less, it is a great narrative of a very dark portion of our history.

I'm hooked on "Guns, Germs, and Steel" by Jared Diamond. I'll give him credit at least for being as ambitious to explain human development in its completeness. Great perspective on how we came to be who we are as a [global] society. A welcoming change from all the PC-Ivory Tower theories that abound.
quote:
Originally posted by nopat:

I'm hooked on "Guns, Germs, and Steel" by Jared Diamond. I'll give him credit at least for being as ambitious to explain human development in its completeness. Great perspective on how we came to be who we are as a [global] society. A welcoming change from all the PC-Ivory Tower theories that abound.

Really enjoyed that a couple of years ago. Thought-provoking. Gave me a lot of insight as to how Europe achieved its dominance.
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by cdr11:
The Conservative Mind by Russell Kirk. A very challenging, scholarly work. I think I need to read and reread some prerequisite books before really delving into it.

Highly recommended.

PH

Big Grin Big Grin

Frighteningly, it actually brings back a clear memory to me from my very-distant past.
quote:
Originally posted by Baird:

Hannibal Rising - Thomas Harris

Baird - how was this? I saw it the other day and was thinking about buying it.

I am currently reading Peter the Great by Massie. Anyone interested in Russian history should check out his books. They are great
zblang,

I'm tempted to read John Adams. For a historian, McCullough's books are very readable, and although his subject matter has already obviously occured, his books actually build a type of suspense. I loved 1776.

I'm going to take your recommendation.
The Kite Runner was a great book.

Much better than the one I've got my nose in: Constitutional Law Of Canada, 8th Edition. I mean, talk about dry! The plot's going nowhere, this "jurisdiction" character is all over the map, and frankly, the whole "based on a true story" hook is not nearly enough to keep one interested.
I am about a half through it. It is kinda slow moving but not bad.

quote:
Originally posted by zblang:
quote:
Originally posted by Baird:

Hannibal Rising - Thomas Harris

Baird - how was this? I saw it the other day and was thinking about buying it.

I am currently reading Peter the Great by Massie. Anyone interested in Russian history should check out his books. They are great
Just finishing up Where's My Space Age?: The rise and fall of futuristic design by Sean Topham
I originally thought this would be about all those great things that were promised to us back when, i.e. flying cars, jetpacks, self-cleaning houses, self-cooking kitchens, etc, that we were supposed to have by 1985. It's more about inflatable pod-houses and mod clothing styles and furniture of the 60's & early 70's. Still, an interesting read.
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
Just finished Straight Man by Richard Russo

Richard Russo is awesome -- I read this as soon as I finished Empire Falls.

My wife gives me a hard time about my reading habits, because I am usually reading about five books at once. Right now I'm reading

1) "Crisis" by Robin Cook (good story, but this guy can't write dialogue worth a damn)
2) "The Island of the Day Before" by Umberto Eco (I've started this book three times over the years and never finished it).
3) "Memoirs of Fighting Captain" (about Admiral Lord Cochrane - the real man upon whom Patrick O'Brian based Jack Aubrey)
4) "Rumpole" by John Mortimer (the Folio Society's Edition)
5) "Bee Season" by Myla Goldberg (I keep this in my car for lunchtime reading)
6) "Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell" by Susanna Clarke (fascinating reading -- a must for anyone who has read C.S. Lewis, Tolkien, etc.)
7) "1776" by David McCullough (another "car" book in case I want nonfiction during lunch).

So that's the list -- I honestly have these seven books bookmarked and resting in various rooms in the house. Of course because of my reading habits, it usually takes me about three months to finish a book.
toetag -

"Mayella" and "chiffarobe". I'm sorry, but I couldn't let it go....

Will be starting Romeo and Juliet and 1984 next week.

Ross Bernstein's "The Code: The Unwritten Rules of Fighting and Retaliation in the NHL." was delivered yesterday. Will start it tonight....
Golf&Pinot, what do you think of Bee Season? I read it a couple of years ago, and while it seemed promising, I didn't enjoy the side plot about the brother and I just really didn't come away loving the story.

Altaholic, I liked Running with Scissors and actually didn't hate the movie version. I prefer Dry by Burroughs and would recommend it.
quote:
Originally posted by Een:
I prefer Dry by Burroughs and would recommend it.

Een,
I’ll need to check Dry out from the library when I’m done with Running with Scissors. Thanks for the recommendation. As for the movie, I might rent it but I tend to watch the movies of books that I probably will not read because I’m usually disappointed with the movie if I’ve read the book. BTW, if you enjoy Augusten Burroughs you may want to read some books by David Sedaris, a writer that is also playfully dark at times.
Death in the Afternoon -- Ernest Hemingway.

quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
quote:
Originally posted by nopat:

Really enjoyed that a couple of years ago. Thought-provoking. Gave me a lot of insight as to how Europe achieved its dominance.

There's been a lot of academic criticism of J. Diamond for what critics argue is a simplistic view of the world. The gist of it is that to deny cultural differences in the rise of Europe such as the rule of law, capitalism and the concept of democracy and republicanisms is to mislead in explaining its dominance.

In that sense, nopat, the critics are attacking GG&S as being too PC in that Diamond implies that Europe was lucky in achieving its dominance. The critics argue that it wasn't luck at all, but culture.

Interesting debate...
Just about to finish A Bend In The River by V.S. Naipaul.

Next up might be Parade's End by Ford Maddox Ford. Not sure.

I'm reading through the Modern Library Top 100 English Language Novels of the 20th Century list... YES - Another top 100 list people can argue about endlessly. Sixty-three down so far. Good stuff.
Bookwise: I finished "Champagne" by the Klastrups over New Years as I was in transit. The same authors also wrote "Wine and War". Both books are good reads for wine geeks.

Currently reading the Oxford Composer Guide to J.S. Bach. The great thing about it is that it's compiled like an encyclopedia. If you're tired, you can just read one short entry and go to sleep.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Hunter:

I'm reading John Adams by David McCullough

Excellent Book!!! Should be a must read for all people, especially those living in my neck of the woods)

Yeah, especially now. Your state and mine. Roll Eyes

I'm actually in my 5th year of "trying" to read 2-3 presidential memoirs or biographies of US Presidents per year. With my work, I can't do much more. Nixon's Memoirs was finished in October. 1200 pages! Eek Good stuff though. Agree or not with him. The guy went through absolute hell in the last 2 years and the media just ate him alive. No fox news back then to cut him some slack Wink

Not sure what I'm reading next. Thinking about Teddy Roosevelt or Woodrow Wilson.
With the passing of Arnold Newman last year, Sally Mann might be my favorite living photographer.

I started her book " Deep South" today and have been blown away.

With 123 battles of the 384 principal battles of the Cival War taking place in Virgina, she spent much time focused in Virgina.

I look forward to working my way through her book again.

w+a
quote:
Working my way through Einstein by Walter Isaacson. Fascinating portrait of the man and his science. I can barely get my mind around some of the concepts, but the story of the man's life is freaking fascinating.

PH

After this book, read E=mc2. I think you might enjoy it a great deal.

I need to return the book to KS. Red Face

w+a
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Working my way through Einstein by Walter Isaacson. Fascinating portrait of the man and his science. I can barely get my mind around some of the concepts, but the story of the man's life is freaking fascinating.

PH

w+a

Uh...... Pasadena, good friend. I've had just about enough theoretical physics for the year, thanks!! Eek Wink

PH
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:

PH

w+a

Uh...... Pasadena, good friend. I've had just about enough theoretical physics for the year, thanks!! Eek Wink

PH

Ah... the vissitudes of Para-Hydrogen. Okay, a 2008 must read! Razz Cool
quote:
Just tore up To Kill a Mockingbird for the third or fourth time. I like this book better each time I read it. Cool

PH

What's the story, PH... How do you find time to re-read so many books?!?! I can't find time to read all the ones I wanna read once.

Oh I forgot... you've had a LOT more time to get to them than me. *cringe, awaiting smack*
quote:
Just tore up To Kill a Mockingbird for the third or fourth time. I like this book better each time I read it. Cool

PH
Perhaps my favorite book of all time. It's either that or A Brave New World. Tonight I'm reading posts from an enraged resident of the Green Mountain State. Cool
At the moment, I am taking a breather from all the heavy philosophical books I've been reading and so I picked up a few magazines. At the moment I am reading More magazine. It has some great travel articles in this month's issue. It makes me really excited about my trip Europe in July.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Hunter:

I only read non-fiction

Good God why?

Just more interesting to me. I did the Stephen King/Grisham/whoever thing for years. But in the end, I'm a history and political buff, and there is so much I have not read yet. May be a phase, but it's a 5 year phase and counting.

Hollywood gives me enough fiction to watch at the movies anyway.
I'm plowing through a Hugh Johnson book now, too (A Life Uncorked). I enjoy his writing a lot.

Also half-way through:
---A Hedonist in the Cellar: Adventures in Wine by Jay Mcinerney

---Guests of the Ayatollah: The Iran Hostage Crisis: The First Battle in America's War with Militant Islam by Mark Bowden

---Sons and Lovers by D.H. Lawrence
Currently I am reading Ask and It Is Given by Esther and Jerry Hicks. But to continue on this spiritual quest I have embarked on this summer, I want to start reading this book called Nine Ways to Cross a River, by Akiko Busch. It was featured in More magazine last month, and it looks so interesting. I guess the author, having crossed various rivers, meditates on the many ways tough crossings strengthen us. Deep. I love it.
Bush Country - John Podhoretz. Finished

Robert Novak "Price of Darkness". 1/2 way through. For a political junkie like myself, a fabulous read. Great inside dope covering over 40 years.

Funniest part of the book is actually a picture caption. Dan Quayle signing a photo to Novak writing "To Bob Novack" - misspelling his name. Novak writes under the photo: "....validating that he was not first in his class in spelling". Smile Couldn't he just ask someone how to spell the #1 syndicated columnist in the country how he spells his name before giving him a personalized photo?...while VP. How lazy.
Big Grin

I supported Quayle and agree with most of his values, but I have to admit 20 years later maybe the media wasn't so hard on him Razz
Just finished Eat, Pray, Love, Elizabeth Gilbert. Attraversiamo. I already speak Spanish (poorly), and had been planning to next study French. But, I think Ms. Gilbert has swayed me toward Italian… Cool Smile

Can’t decide which of these three to begin next:

• Bridge of Sighs, Richard Russo. Empire Falls is on my top ten fav list, so I hesitate b/c my expectations may be too high… Eek Smile
  • One Drop, Bliss Broyard
  • The Bad Girl, Mario Vargas Llosa
The Great Mambo Chicken and the Transhuman Condition by Ed Regis. It was about future technology/science/medicine in regards to cryogenics, nanotechnology, etc. It was a very interesting read and opened up some interesting thinking and discussions (chapter on downloading a persons entire memories into a computer data bank)
If you like to read a lot and get bored with the regular day to day type of reads I would suggest, otherwise its a little heavy at times with jargon and required some deep thought and re-reads due to the technical nature.
Just finished The Pillars of the the Earth, which Oprah announced was her newest Book Club book. 900+pages in paperback.
Exciting story about a 12th century stonemason in rural England, his desire to construct a cathedral, and the monks around him.
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
Just finished The Pillars of the the Earth, which Oprah announced was her newest Book Club book. 900+pages in paperback.
Exciting story about a 12th century stonemason in rural England, his desire to construct a cathedral, and the monks around him.

Irwin, thumbs up or down?

Also, I do not see the Oprah sheep having the attention span for a 900 page book. Wink
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
I'd be interested in any tasting notes on Sardinian wines. We'll be in Sardinia this summer and may have the chance to visit a winery or two. Any recommendations of favorites will be appreciated.

Will do. The two better wines I had this summer were...

2001 Argiolas Turriga & 2005 Argiolas Vermentino Costamolino.
I read at work all day and I have two young children at home, so I cannot concentrate on reading if I wanted to (which I don't, because I read all day). But I do listen to about a dozen or more audio books per year in my car.

Right now is a western, "Rio Hondo" by Matt Braun and Read by George Guidall. I would listen to the obituaries from an unknown location if they were read by that man. He also read many of the Dark Tower novels by Stephen King, my all time favorite collection of stories.
Mine was 2 yrs on Oct 30th, so he's a bit behind. He's gotten a bug from daycare about 4 times since his birthday, so we're kind of going easy on him. He's upstairs in bed (per his request) right now at dinner time. He's feeling pretty rotten. As soon as he's healthy, we're cracking the whip... Getting rid of those binkies, too.
Yeah day care is a breeding ground for "bugs" thats for sure. The binky will be our challenge as well, he still uses it at night. My wife is reading Tracy Hoggs, Secrets of the Baby Whisperer for Toddlers and states it is really good, also has some helpful hints on pottty training. She read the one for babies and it gave us some good advice on a few things. Hope your little guy feels better, its certainly a drag on everyone.
Steinbeck will certainly have more American settings (and is certainly excellent as well)... but, like with my wines, I prefer the European and overseas inspiration of Hemingway.

Plus you can read about six Hemingway novels before you get through Grapes of Wrath. Not that long novels are a bad thing. Hemingway stories always end prematurely in my mind.

I think I just won the "least cerebral comparison of Steinbeck and Hemingway ever" award.
Not too sure whom I prefer. Before starting to read Hemingway again, I finished several Steinbeck novels as well, I am both a Hemingway and Steinbeck fan. Each novel has its own merits, I certainly do enjoy The Sun Also Rises for many reasons, not just the writing style and unlike others I really like The Old Man and The Sea, but to each their own.

Add Reply

Likes (0)