What are you reading?

I am re-reading Lone Wolf and Cub, an epic manga series by Kazuo Koike and Goseki Kojima. It is unbelievably good.

As for novels, I just finished "Bloodletting and Miraculous Cures" by Vincent Lam. He recently won the Giller Prize and I wanted to see what the hoopla was about. I must say, I enjoyed it.
Currently reading Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson. How this book ever got by me before is beyond me. Guterson is a great writer.

Of course, I'll have to check out the movie now when I'm done with the book and see how bad it sucks in comparison.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Just finished To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee. Thanks to GA for the recommendation.


You actually made it through school without reading this? I'm surprised.

Just finished Brothers, by Da Chen. Moving on to The Tender Bar, by J.R. Moehringer.

PH
quote:
Originally posted by RobM:
Currently reading Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson. How this book ever got by me before is beyond me. Guterson is a great writer.

Of course, I'll have to check out the movie now when I'm done with the book and see how bad it sucks in comparison.

The book and the movie are naturally a lot different. Both are good, and is worth picking up if you see it in the $5 bin at Wal-Mart. Seeing as I am married to a Korean woman, there were some themes in the novel that hit close to home. Then again, being married to a Korean woman, there was a lot of character development that I felt apathetic towards.

No less, it is a great narrative of a very dark portion of our history.

I'm hooked on "Guns, Germs, and Steel" by Jared Diamond. I'll give him credit at least for being as ambitious to explain human development in its completeness. Great perspective on how we came to be who we are as a [global] society. A welcoming change from all the PC-Ivory Tower theories that abound.
quote:
Originally posted by nopat:

I'm hooked on "Guns, Germs, and Steel" by Jared Diamond. I'll give him credit at least for being as ambitious to explain human development in its completeness. Great perspective on how we came to be who we are as a [global] society. A welcoming change from all the PC-Ivory Tower theories that abound.


Really enjoyed that a couple of years ago. Thought-provoking. Gave me a lot of insight as to how Europe achieved its dominance.
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by cdr11:
The Conservative Mind by Russell Kirk. A very challenging, scholarly work. I think I need to read and reread some prerequisite books before really delving into it.


Highly recommended.

PH



Big Grin Big Grin

Frighteningly, it actually brings back a clear memory to me from my very-distant past.
quote:
Originally posted by Baird:

Hannibal Rising - Thomas Harris


Baird - how was this? I saw it the other day and was thinking about buying it.

I am currently reading Peter the Great by Massie. Anyone interested in Russian history should check out his books. They are great
zblang,

I'm tempted to read John Adams. For a historian, McCullough's books are very readable, and although his subject matter has already obviously occured, his books actually build a type of suspense. I loved 1776.

I'm going to take your recommendation.
The Kite Runner was a great book.

Much better than the one I've got my nose in: Constitutional Law Of Canada, 8th Edition. I mean, talk about dry! The plot's going nowhere, this "jurisdiction" character is all over the map, and frankly, the whole "based on a true story" hook is not nearly enough to keep one interested.
I am about a half through it. It is kinda slow moving but not bad.

quote:
Originally posted by zblang:
quote:
Originally posted by Baird:

Hannibal Rising - Thomas Harris


Baird - how was this? I saw it the other day and was thinking about buying it.

I am currently reading Peter the Great by Massie. Anyone interested in Russian history should check out his books. They are great

Add Reply

Likes (0)
×
×
×
×