Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
quote:
Originally posted by *lizardking*:
Good stuff! Do you like Junior Kimbrough too?

Don't know his music. I should admit that I probably would not have bought Ass Pocket if not for the participation of the Blues Explosion.

This morning it's

Jim Hall, Paul Desmond & Chet Baker - Concierto

He's another blues musician. He played with R.L Burnside, I think they were good friends. I met one of them with their band the San Francisco Blues Festival. It was pretty awesome to meet an old juke-joint singin blues man from the delta such as he. I think it was R.L., but I'm not too sure, the one thing I do remember is one of their musicians,Spam, just stopped playing in the middle of their set. He said it was because "I aint got no mo wind". It was a trip to see them picking on poor old Spam like that, but I'd be pretty mad too if I came all the way from Mississippi and one of my band members just quit playing on me.
quote:
Originally posted by mitchie:
steve8,

What do you think of the Joanna Newsome album? I bought it based on the hype but it just doesn't do it for me. Not a bad album, I just don't see it as one of the best of 2006.

Mitchie, I've only listened to it once so far and I have a self-imposed "three listen rule" on music before I make a decision. That said, the first listen didn't wow me.
For my Sunday jog, I let the Shuffle loose in my Alt. Rock folder. The damage follows:

Toadies - Possum Kingdom
The Vines - Get Free
Weezer - Hash Pipe
Eels - Novacaine for the Soul
Beck - Loser
Spacehog - In the Meantime
Nine Inch Nails - Head Like a Hole
Puddle of Mud - She Hates Me
The Hives - Hate to Say I Told You So
The Strokes - Last Night
Jet - Are You Gonna Be My Girl
quote:
quote:
R.L. Burnside (with the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion) - A Ass Pocket Full of Whiskey

lizardking,

Totally lovin' Junior Kimbrough! His authentic unique style really got its hooks in me. I'll have to pull him out for another listen.
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Teeth:
quote:
quote:
R.L. Burnside (with the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion) - A Ass Pocket Full of Whiskey

lizardking,

Totally lovin' Junior Kimbrough! His authentic unique style really got its hooks in me. I'll have to pull him out for another listen.

You should try listening to the black keys, they're doin' to kimbrough what Zeppelin did to all blues bands in the 70s.
For my Sunday jog, I dipped into the Seventies folder, and came up with this gaggle of classic tunes:

Procol Harum - Whiskey Train
Alice Cooper - Under My Wheels
Johnny Winter - Rock n' Roll, Hoochie Koo
Z Z Top - Just Got Paid
Savoy Brown - Tell Mama
The Who - Baba O'Riley
The Beatles - Why Don't We Do It In the Road
Lou Reed - Walk on the Wild Side
The Allman Brothers - Midnight Rider
Spirit - I Got a Line on You
Humble Pie - Thirty Days in the Hole
Mott the Hoople - All the Young Dudes
quote:
quote:
Arcade Fire - Neon Bible

What'd you think of the album? I am going to see them in a couple months... can't wait!

It's an excellent album. I liked the first one, but thought the hype was little excessive and thought they would succumb to the sophomore jinx, but Neon Bible is better. Really dark lyrics. I'd like to go see them, but they sold out two shows here in less than 15 minutes. Frown
[/QUOTE]

It's an excellent album. I liked the first one, but thought the hype was little excessive and thought they would succumb to the sophomore jinx, but Neon Bible is better. Really dark lyrics. I'd like to go see them, but they sold out two shows here in less than 15 minutes. Frown[/QUOTE]

I really like the album as well. I guess I am lucky that they don't get that much hype over here, it's more of a cult following, which is why I was able to still get tickets to a relatively small venue.

I heard they're great live, and I've seen some videos and I like what I see so far!!
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Teeth:
The Black Keys!

Thanks for the tip *lizardking*.

I'm not sure why I haven't heard of these guys before, but they are right in my sweet spot - crunchy guitar riffs and gritty vocals, rooted in blues with some punk attitude...nice!

glad you like them. They're relatively underground, but they have been used in a few commercials lately. I've been trying to get all my friends to listen, but so far only one has really caught on. Different strokes...
Hello everyone, and lizardking this is a response to your question about which songs I have liked the most on the Latin jazz station. I think I like them all, its hard to just choose one. But at the moment I am listening to JP Torres, a song called Pick your clave, its got a nice tempo. That's too bad that sirius doesn't have a station like the one on XM radio, maybe you should consider switching. Wink
quote:
Originally posted by M.J.:
Hello everyone, and lizardking this is a response to your question about which songs I have liked the most on the Latin jazz station. I think I like them all, its hard to just choose one. But at the moment I am listening to JP Torres, a song called Pick your clave, its got a nice tempo. That's too bad that sirius doesn't have a station like the one on XM radio, maybe you should consider switching. Wink

My wife loves Howard Stern too much to ever consider switching.
An attempt at a Rap mix by an old white guy(a.k.a. old nappy headed honky):

Missy Elliott - Work It
Gorillaz - Clint Eastwood
O.P.P. - Naughty by Nature
Kanye West - Gold Digger
Vanilla Ice - Ice Ice Baby
Black Eyed Peas - Let's Get it Started
Eminem - Lose Yourself
OutKast - Hey Ya!
50 Cent - In da Club
Chingy - Right Thurr
Shaggy - It Wasn't Me
Nelly - Hot in Herre
Sean Paul - Get Busy
Busta Rhymes - Dangerous
nasty bits, what I have noticed about almost all classical music is that most of it needs time for my subconcious to break it down and make it enjoyable or known. Sure there are more exciting parts that become familiar, but most works in their entirety have lots of slow (actually quiet may be a more apt description) moments. I am enjoying this again, right now.
A compendiun of PUNK!!!:

Iggy and the Stooges - Search and Destroy
The Clash - Should I Stay or Should I Go.
Sham 69 - Borstal Breakout
The Ramones - Blitzkrieg Bop
Sex Pistols - Pretty Vacant
Eagles of Death Metal - Bad Dream Mama
Goons of Doom - She Wore Rat Skin Boots
Green Day - Basket Case
Joan Jett & the Blackhearts - Bad Reputation
The Damned - New Rose
The Distillers - City of Angels
Stiff Little Digits - Suspect Device
Sex Pistols - Anarchy in the UK
Minor Threat - Minor Threat
The Dickies - You Drive Me Ape (You Big Gorilla)
The Buzzcocks - Orgasam Addict
The Hives - Hate to say I Told You So
quote:
Originally posted by vinole:
I assume you have heard that they are now performing together again and Audioslave is apparently done.

Zack de la Rocha joined up with the old RATM members at the Coachella Music Festival in April and I believe that they are going to perform at the Rock the Bells Festival, which starts during July sometime in NYC, but I’m not sure if they will release anything. Audioslave is definitely done.
quote:
Originally posted by TBird:
quote:
Originally posted by TBird:
aerosmith - get your wings

this could be my favorite record to play along with. espicially "seasons of wither". i don't do many "cover" songs, and never have. this material is a joy.

lynyrd skynyrd - street survivors

a HUGE runner up for the most fun material to play along with, if you have to play other peoples songs... Razz
Oh, that final gave me much grief. I feared it would end that way. Roger seems to have such a mental block when it comes to Nadal and that final. I hope he can rebound and win Wimbledon.

I've been listening to Placido Domingo as I'm going to see him in August ( Big Grin ) , Matt Haimovitz on the cello and the newest from Girl in Coma and The Horrors.
indy, you like it? I've been waiting to get the album, didn't think it was out yet. Must have confused the release days with the Stripes album released on the 19th last month. Damn. Looks like I'll be stopping at bestbuy on the way home. I really enjoyed the single, so many bands get a big head and move away from what made them popular, and when I heard their new release I was pleasantly surprised to say the least.
quote:
indy, you like it? I've been waiting to get the album, didn't think it was out yet. Must have confused the release days with the Stripes album released on the 19th last month. Damn. Looks like I'll be stopping at bestbuy on the way home. I really enjoyed the single, so many bands get a big head and move away from what made them popular, and when I heard their new release I was pleasantly surprised to say the least.

LK,

Well, I'm onto the fourth song (had to go to a quick conference), and they're starting to wuss in up a bit. I bought it off of ITunes today. Ok, onto the fifth song, Tarantula, better. I don't think anything on this album will make your ears bleed, like some of their earlier stuff, but I'd still get it.

Post a review tomorrow, mkay?
Smashing Pumpkins, Zeitgeist.

Pretty decent album. I like how the band doesn't trend towards something new (kind of like they did before they broke up) and stuck with their old style of dubbed grunge-psychadelic. Their one of my favorite all-time bands and while I wasn't totally impressed with a new kick-ass album, I do like it and enjoy listening. I only wish I was able to get tickets to their 9 day stand in the bay, now their going for $300+/ticket on the secondary, just can't justify that with all of my recent wine purchases Wink
Most recently "Swingin Teens", My band from 1984 to 1994. A new cd is coming out from our old record label in a couple months. There will be a web site with videos and music downloads. Very 80's long hair rock and punk so I'll post it when it gets up so everyone can have a good laugh and make fun of me. Not that anyone would need a reason to make fun of me!
quote:
Metallica ==> Symphony and Metallica

Always, always, always a good choice! The interaction between the orchestra and the band is incredible, especially on a piece like "One." As someone once told me, "if you can't get jacked up listening to this, you haven't got a pulse."

Being married to an Aussie, and loving Aussie music myself (along with their Shiraz!), it's not surprising that I've been enjoying the following:

*** Midnight Oil - "Scream in Blue (Live)" is my favorite CD from Australia, easily in my top 5 favorite rock CDs of all time.
*** Crowded House - Their "Greatest Hits" CD is a wonderful compilation of their exquisite music. "Don't Dream It's Over" is one of those songs that I wish I had the talent to write... absolutely beautiful.
*** Icehouse - Measure For Measure" is a bit dated but that's OK... lead singer Iva Davies has a magnificent voice so I never get tired of listening to this band's music.

Love jazz as well, especially Pat Metheny. The "Travels" CD is an all-time favorite (the live version of the song "Are You Going With Me?" is timeless). Also, Metheny's latest effort, a collarboration with Brad Meldau (sp?) is terrific as well.
I must be the last person on earth to have discovered YouTube. My wife was at the computer the other night listening to an Eagles song i KNOW she doesn't have on CD. Wandered in and she showed me how much music is actually on YouTube.

Spent the last couple of weeks listening to all sorts of stuff since then! (Not much classical on UT though).

Have to admit that since Football season is kicking off for me tonight (GO NINERS) that I just blasted Pinks Sunday Night Football song thru the house as a "warm-up".... Football/ Pizza/ Beer night!