quote:
Originally posted by Primordialsoup:
St. Paul & the Broken Bones- Sea of Noise- that cat can sing

Catching them Friday when they open for Hall & Oates. Actually looking forward to their set even more than the headliner.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
I listened to two excellent speeches today.

Imran Khan's Speech at Hyderabad was an excellent listen you're right, King Willem-Alexander's throne speech yesterday however was not excellent in any way, it was actually somewhat boring.

Your worldly politics surprise me though, I thought you were more insular than that. Bravo!
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
They are quite aware what I meant and responding with the usual puerile stupidity.

Are you trying to argue that in fact you are that insular?

Interesting tack. A "I see your 'puerile stupidity' and raise you 'inane idiocy' and 'bigoted blundering'" ploy.

All I can say is, you sir have more chips in your stack than I. I know when I'm beat and I fold. I can't top 'inane idiocy' let alone 'bigoted blundering'.
Have been listening to Tom Petty channel on XM the last few days when in the car. They had people, including artists call in with Tom Petty stories yesterday and now playing mostly Tom's music. Heard a few covers recorded live which was cool.
quote:
Originally posted by ThistlinTom:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Leon Bridges

Good pick, wonder when his next album is coming out.

I don't know.

He was a dishwasher at one of my favorite steakhouses for corporate dinners. He would sometimes play at closing when the restaurant was nearly empty.
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
The Rural Alberta Advantage - The Wild

Really like the Hometowns album. Drain the Blood is a killer song
Motown night

The Marvin Gaye Collection (SACD 5.1)
Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life (Blu Ray Audio 2.0)
quote:

Based on your posts on the Current Musicians thread it sounds like this band is new to you. They are for me. And they come from the faraway, exotic...Toronto! Roll Eyes

They sound pretty good.
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
quote:

Based on your posts on the Current Musicians thread it sounds like this band is new to you. They are for me. And they come from the faraway, exotic...Toronto! Roll Eyes

They sound pretty good.

Yeah, this was one of the bands on Rob S's list of "Current Musicians". I started at the top of his list and I'm working my way through it. So far, so good.
Tom Petty - Wildflowers

I like it. I missed this album when it was released. No doubt partly because I was more into the lo-fi sounds of Pavement, Sebadoh and Guided by Voices at the time, but also because Petty lost me during his period with that wankstain Jeff Lynne and his heavy handed production on the two previous albums.
quote:
Tom Petty - Wildflowers

I like it. I missed this album when it was released. No doubt partly because I was more into the lo-fi sounds of Pavement, Sebadoh and Guided by Voices at the time, but also because Petty lost me during his period with that wankstain Jeff Lynne and his heavy handed production on the two previous albums.

Beautiful song
quote:
Originally posted by bomba503:
Old school rap out in my backyard to annoy my neighbor

What is old school rap? Public Enemy? NWA?
quote:
quote:

Eric B. & Rakim? BDP? Big Daddy Kane? Ultramagnetic?

Inquiring minds....
quote:
quote:

Yup with a healthy dose of Tupac on top
Mike Massé and Jeff Hall, various covers. Ridiculously talented.

Quote from YouTube:

"I love how a couple of dudes in shorts in a pizza place in Utah do the best cover of this song in current existence on the Internet.

There is something immensely satisfying about that."

ENJOY
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:

Quote from YouTube:

"I love how a couple of dudes in shorts in a pizza place in Utah do the best cover of this song in current existence on the Internet.

ENJOY

I feel about this song about the same way you do my Peanut Butter Stout
My Amazon Echo. Love this thing. 2 million+ songs included with regular Prime membership, on demand. They claim tens of millions for added monthly fee. Are there really that many songs in existence?
quote:
quote:

Quote from YouTube:

ENJOY

I feel about this song about the same way you do my Peanut Butter Stout

"I know that I must do what's right
As sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti."

Awe-inspiring lyrics, for sure...

Can't deny the talent though.
quote:

Quote from YouTube:

Thanks for the link. Wow a great voice that guy has.

ENJOY
quote:

Quote from YouTube:

ENJOY

Almost didn't click on the link. Glad I did. Holy Cow!!!! Thanks for sharing.

PH
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:

Quote from YouTube:

ENJOY

Almost didn't click on the link. Glad I did. Holy Cow!!!! Thanks for sharing.

PH
those guys are awesome
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
I bought my first Ryan Adams "album", Gold, and have listened to it, several times. Excellent.

Smile

My favourite album of his.
David Gilmour: Live At Pompeii 2017, on Blu-ray. A mix of the old and the new. Amazing sound and picture quality, to really show off your home theatre system.
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
quote:
Originally posted by Italian Wino:
Mozart Piano Concerto #20.

IW

K446?...Fantastique

It was KV466. I will hear this piano concerto live at the NYPhil in a few weeks.
Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section

One of the smoothest sax players ever playing with three fifths of Miles' quintet.
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
Life during wartime, Talking Heads

a classic.

I'm revisiting Joni Mitchell's "Hejira." What an incredible album. There was a fantastic piece about her in a recent New Yorker, much of which focused on the lyrics and vocal styling of the songs on this album.
Spielman In Bad Company - Sweet Songs for the Dying

Amped up blues rock (they call it “neoblues”) from Germany, with hints of Robin Trower, SRV, Free and a bunch of others.

Crank it up.
Hoodoo Gurus - Mars Needs Guitars!
Talking Heads - Speaking In Tongues
INXS - Shabooh Shoobah
Ryan Adams - 1989
Yes - Big Generator
Depeche Mode - Music For The Masses
Greetings fellow travellers! I've thoroughly enjoyed perusing the musical recommendations that each of you have shared and getting to know each of you a little via your musical tastes.

I must say that music has played a significant role in my life. While I'm not a practitioner of the musical arts, I am most certainly a devoted follower.

Most recently I have rediscovered an album that I listened to frequently in my late thirties:

"Stories Across Borders" by the duo of Richard Barbieri and Steve Jansen.

If you are unaware of these names, you might recognize the name of a band of which both gentlemen were members: Japan.

If one were to categorize this album, it might best be labelled as "art rock", but I prefer to think of it as a dreamscape for the disenfranchised and lonely – which is how you could describe me at that point in my life. I had lost my way, my North Star, and I was at low ebb. I will share more of this story at a later date, but suffice to say that it was music that played a significant and stabilizing role in my life at the time, and this album in particular still resonates with me.
The Beatles - Abbey Road

I'm not a big Beatles fan but I must admit it does sound great playing on my new turntable. Superb production.
quote:
The Beatles - Abbey Road

I'm not a big Beatles fan but I must admit it does sound great playing on my new turntable. Superb production.

I can't count the number of friends who have had epiphanies when hearing this album on vinyl and played with a good analog system. It is, indeed, a superbly produced recording.
quote:
The Beatles - Abbey Road

Cool
Chris Stapleton--From a Room Vol 2.

32 minutes of some boot stomping, great sounding, old school country. Makes me want to get back out to Nashville--though when I step outside and look at the ocean in my shorts and t-shirt, I figure I can just listen to this on the radio and ride it out in San Diego.
As one who grew up across the street from The Cove in Solana Beach and spent 25 years looking at the water, I know how the ocean can make people sanctimonious, especially when other parts of the US are freezing. Cool
quote:
Originally posted by Arsenal4ever:
As one who grew up across the street from The Cove in Solana Beach and spent 25 years looking at the water, I know how the ocean can make people sanctimonious, especially when other parts of the US are freezing. Cool

Catch any memorable shows at the Belly Up?
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Arsenal4ever:

Catch any memorable shows at the Belly Up?

JJ Cale w/ David Lindley
Leftover Salmon
"Catch any memorable shows at the Belly Up?"
When it first opened, it was more of a pool hall with occasional acts. Definitely John Prine in the mid 70s was a highlight; also The Tubes w/ Fey Waybill. Those Quonset huts were built during WW11.
Cool I've seen many there as well over the last 25 years. Always love seeing X and Dave Wakling. Many memorable Beat Farmer shows. Countless others through the years

Probably the most memorable show was the Pleasure Barons with Country Dick Montana, Mojo Nixon and Dave Alvin in early 90's. It was like being in the middle of a bar fight

Some great upcoming shows. David Lindley in early January. Pat Travers, Pato Baton, Fishbone, English Beat, Kris Kristoferson, Al Stewart and Cracker/Camper Von Beethoven all booked over next few weeks also. One of the best small clubs in America for live music and certainly one of my faves. Blessed to live ten minutes away.

The Stones actually played a private show there a few years ago. It's the reason they started their 2015 US Tour at Petco Park. It was a party for Ralph Whitworth and his new wife. He had terminal Cancer and its was essentially his good bye party with friends. Word on the street was he paid them $2M to play.
Last edited by bomba503
Does the La Paloma theater in Encinitas still exist, and do they still do shows there? I remember seeing great acts like Billy Cobham, Stanley Clark, Al DeMeola, and John McLaughlin playing there while stretched out on the pews.
La Paloma still exists and is even closer to me but just old movies. Rocky Horror, Surf flicks, Indies etc. About 15 years ago Pearl Jam played a surprise gig before starting their tour due to Eddie's roots in Encinitas but that is the last i remember.

The shows you mention would likely end up at Humphreys or somewhere downtown these days.
No I grew up in NJ outside Philly. Been here since early 91 (except a brief return back east from 94 to 97). Both my kids are at SDA (what they call San Dieguito now) now. Ive got lots of friends that went there and you may know some depending upon age. Also my next door neighbor went there as did her mom. Last name is Piel.
Yup small world. I grew up down in Cherry Hill NJ. Another name you may recognize is Steve Cory who I used to work in a real estate office with. His family owned Cory Brothers Men's Store.
Hearing that would make him smile. I see him pretty often and will share that with him. If you want to send more personal regards let me know

Btw, he has two new hips to show for that
Last edited by bomba503
quote:
The Dance, Fleetwood Mac.

Still the best live album ever produced, IMO.

I guess you have yet to hear Waiting for Columbus yet. Razz

Seriously, I don't know this albums and thought it must be Peter Green days with Oh, well on it. Live recordings are my thing, music-wise, so I'll have to check it...they must have been on a good one, coked out of their minds as they were back then. Of course, what rock star wasn't.
Visited friend who stored, then sort of assumed, my lp collection.
John Mayall, a banquet of blues
Doors, absolutely live
Geoff and Maria, pottery pie
Sonny Rollins, next album
Savoy Brown, hellbound train
Dave Mason, headkeeper
Santana III
Big brother and holding co's first album
A couple more I can't recall.
quote:
Originally posted by Jabe11:
Visited friend who stored, then sort of assumed, my lp collection.
John Mayall, a banquet of blues
Doors, absolutely live
Geoff and Maria, pottery pie
Sonny Rollins, next album
Savoy Brown, hellbound train
Dave Mason, headkeeper
Santana III
Big brother and holding co's first album
A couple more I can't recall.

Savoy Brown was in constant rotation on my turntable back in the day. Hellbound Train, Raw Sienna and Street Corner Talking. Loved Kim Simmonds.

Around the same time, I also couldn't get enough of Rory Gallagher and early Johnny Winter (his first half dozen albums up to and including Still Alive and Well).

Damn... now I know what my playlist is going to be this afternoon.
Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band - Live at the Hammersmith Odeon, London 1975

The first disc is absolutely amazing. The second, not so much.
Rush - All The World's A Stage.

I really love the way this live album sounds. While I have huge respect for what they morphed into after 2112, it's a lot of fun listening to them with the main guitar sound being a Gibson through Marshalls with the occasional wah pedal and some old-school tape echo. It was cool walking by Massey Hall, where this was recorded, on vacation a couple of years ago.
Last edited by billhike
Alternatively “Only a Pawn in Their Game” and “My Back Pages”. Depending upon what I just read. Though the former is far more frequent and righteous to my thoughts than the latter.
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
Rush - All The World's A Stage.

I really love the way this live album sounds. While I have huge respect for what they morphed into after 2112, it's a lot of fun listening to them with the main guitar sound being a Gibson through Marshalls with the occasional wah pedal and some old-school tape echo. It was cool walking by Massey Hall, where this was recorded, on vacation a couple of years ago.

I'm no musician...but Rush has always been my favorite band...what a great album. My favourite after 2112 is probably moving pictures. Not one bad song in its entirety.
Needed to clean that Sinatra off me...

Just finished off the Pogues Rum Sodomy & the Lash and have moved on to Thin Lizzy's Vagabonds of the Western World
quote:
Billy Bragg - Talking With the Taxman About Poetry

Cool

Steve, you have such great taste in music.

Levi Stubbs Tears is one of the purest, most pared down rock songs ever created.

Levi Stubbs Tears
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
quote:
Billy Bragg - Talking With the Taxman About Poetry

Cool

Steve, you have such great taste in music.

big +1
The Breeders - Last Splash
XTC - The Big Express
Aztec Camera - Knife
Happy Mondays - Pills 'n' Thrills and Bellyaches
quote:
Aztec Camera - Knife

Hmmm, I don't have that one, but I do have their first album. I'll have to put it on later.

The Breeders are playing a small theatre here in May. Haven't bought tickets yet, but leaning that way. The original line-up...and all clean too! I think.
quote:
quote:
Aztec Camera - Knife

Hmmm, I don't have that one, but I do have their first album. I'll have to put it on later.

The Breeders are playing a small theatre here in May. Haven't bought tickets yet, but leaning that way. The original line-up...and all clean too! I think.

I believe Knife is Aztec Camera's second album.

The Breeders are passing through here in April. I already have my ticket. The last time I saw them was in December 1993 when they opened for Nirvana.

I believe they have a new album dropping next month.
quote:
Originally posted by vinoevelo:
After reading the Quincy Jones interview in vulture I had to put on Giant Steps - John Coltrane.

Great interview!
quote:
The Breeders - Last Splash
XTC - The Big Express
Aztec Camera - Knife
Happy Mondays - Pills 'n' Thrills and Bellyaches

Aztec Camera! There's a name I haven't heard in thirty years
Tame Impala - Lonerism
Which took my mind to the very good Brazilian psychedelic rock of:
Boogarins - Manual ou Guia Livre de Dissolução dos Sonhos
Rob - try some King Gizzard & the lizard wizard if you're in that mood.

meanwhile back in weston....

Willie Nelson - Red Headed Stranger.

Add Reply