Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
Hamilton Soundtrack again - even that is not helping although it is tremendous, huge, the best and has the highest IQ ever

That's only because 5 million undocumented immigrants voted for it. Jc, do you ever read Gene Weingarten in the Washington Post?

And bigly. Not regularly, only when someone forwards a piece/article to me.
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Glad you liked it.

Tchaikovsky's #6 for me.

PH

My favorite.

This is one of the first symphonic works my father asked me to listen to from beginning to end when I was a rebellious asshole. It was life changing for me. Yesterday's version was by the Seoul Philharmonic. A surprisingly good rendering. Recommended.

PH
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
quote:
Originally posted by bomba503:
Our Daughters Wedding - Lawnchairs

Red Face That's going back away. I think I have Digital Cowboy around here somewhere.

Right now, I'm listening to

Priests - Nothing Feels Natural

Between that and my coffee I'm wide awake.

It has a special significance to an old friend and I who did business together while in college. We just wrapped up a great investment again thirty years later and this was the perfect celebratory song. Lawnchairs are everywhere!
I have been deep into a Robin Trower blues vein the last few days. What started it was finding a rare recording of a show at the Kiel Auditorium (St. Louis) from 1980. From there I have been exploring other live recordings as well. Just yesterday at a Rasputin Music in San Jose (check them out if you're in Northern California) I found a 2-CD release called "State to State: Live 1974 to 1980" and there is some spectacular playing on there.
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
Nick Lowe - The Convincer

When I saw your post I thought it must be a new album. Wrong. 2001? Despite having 9 of his solo albums and the Rockpile and Dave Edmunds albums he's been on, I totally missed that one. I remember 2001 being a stressful year spent mostly travelling, but that's bad.
quote:
quote:
Nick Lowe - The Convincer

When I saw your post I thought it must be a new album. Wrong. 2001? Despite having 9 of his solo albums and the Rockpile and Dave Edmunds albums he's been on, I totally missed that one. I remember 2001 being a stressful year spent mostly travelling, but that's bad.

Let me know what you think of it, Steve. It's my favourite of his from the last 20 years. The followup, At My Age, is also good, but I prefer The Convincer.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
Biber, The Mystery Sonatas.

You misspelled Bieber....... Razz Big Grin

Just a guess, but do you drink port while listening to your Bieber favorites? Wink

I can honestly say that I've never listened to a Biebs tune. Not that I've purposely avoided it but they don't play that stuff on the satellite stations I hear. But if I did, I might very well drink port while doing so!
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Bigfoot003:
John Prine

Songwriter!

KK would introduce him and play with him when I was in college, many moons ago at very small and modest venues.

Very cool.

I once worked security at a show he did at my university. Love him.

We would be remiss not to include Townes in this discussion.
quote:
I was listening to it streamed on NPR. I thought it sounded pretty good upon first listen, especially considering it wasn't exactly hi-fi.

That said, while we both like his music we seem to like different albums.

My five faves, in no particular order:
Heartbreaker
Gold
Easy Tiger
Ashes & Fire
Ryan Adams (2014)

You?
quote:
quote:
I was listening to it streamed on NPR. I thought it sounded pretty good upon first listen, especially considering it wasn't exactly hi-fi.

Heartbreaker
Gold
Easy Tiger
Ashes & Fire
Ryan Adams (2014)

You?

Strangers Almanac
Pneumonia
Heartbreaker
Cold Roses
Ashes & Fire
quote:
quote:
quote:

Heartbreaker
Gold
Easy Tiger
Ashes & Fire
Ryan Adams (2014)

You?

Strangers Almanac
Pneumonia
Heartbreaker
Cold Roses
Ashes & Fire

Cool

OK well, I didn't think about including Whiskeytown... in which case that's a pretty fine five-pack of albums you listed.

Stranger's Almanac is way up there for me. Can't say I've listened much to Pneumonia, but I will pay more attention to it this weekend.

And Cold Roses probably hovers just below my top five - and definitely features one of my favourite songs in Let It Ride.
Beethoven Piano Sonatas - I've decided to try to listen to all 32 in order over the next few days. I saw Daniel Barenboim perhaps then in a set of 8 concerts in the mid 80s. I was astounded. I've since soured on his interpretations of most things but that's another story. I'm listening to a complete set recorded by Jean Bernard Pommier. In previous listens I've enjoyed his "light touch" on the earlier sonatas but found it not to fit as well with the late ones.
Gorillaz- Clint Eastwood