quote:
Originally posted by haggis:
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
quote:
Haydn's Op. 76 quartets

I like those. Who is performing?

Depends on my mood. Sometimes the Mosaiques Quartet (on Astree). Other times, and probably more frequently, the Kodaly Qt (on Naxos).

You must really like them if you have 2 recordings. I have multiple recordings of quite a few things, but a single recording of most things.
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Haydn's Op. 76 quartets

I like those. Who is performing?

Depends on my mood. Sometimes the Mosaiques Quartet (on Astree). Other times, and probably more frequently, the Kodaly Qt (on Naxos).

You must really like them if you have 2 recordings. I have multiple recordings of quite a few things, but a single recording of most things.

I used to have 3 recordings! I got rid of the Lindsey Qt version when I moved. Got tired of the overly-close miking and hearing all the sniffing and snorting.

For a number of works, I have multiple versions. Goldberg Variations, I think close to 10. Wintereisse, 7 or 8.
quote:
quote:

For a number of works, I have multiple versions. Goldberg Variations, I think close to 10. Wintereisse, 7 or 8.

Whoa!

So maybe it's ok for me to get that 5th recording of the B-minor mass....

Of course it's OK! It's just like wines. You need a variety, even of the same label, vintage, etc.!
quote:
quote:
quote:
Final 3 Beethoven piano sonatas

Lovely. As performed by whom?

Paul Komen. I bought it because he's playing a piano from 1830 so I thought it might be interesting to see what I could hear from that. The performances are quite good regardless.

I don't have that recording, but do have 4 others of the sonatas Wink
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Final 3 Beethoven piano sonatas

Lovely. As performed by whom?

Paul Komen. I bought it because he's playing a piano from 1830 so I thought it might be interesting to see what I could hear from that. The performances are quite good regardless.

I don't have that recording, but do have 4 others of the sonatas Wink

Made me look. That's the only recording I have of just those 3, but I have two complete sets, the Solomon set of late Sonatas (27-32 I think?), and a CD in a Richter set I have has those 3 on it.

Now I'm going to have to listen to all of them. Not a bad thing I imagine.
Springsteen - Live Chicago 011916

Sounds like it was a great show. I always liked the songs on The River, with the exception of the lame I'm a Rocker, but didn't like the production. I know Van Zandt and Landau were trying for that AM car radio sound, but it bugged me. The sound of this live show is better than the original album.
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
Lucinda Williams - The Ghosts of Highway 20

How do you like it? I've heard good things about it.

Coincidentally, I listened to Car Wheels on a Gravel Road last night.

Car Wheels is still my favourite, but the new album is her best in a very long time. It's a departure for her. Quiet, haunting, plaintive. Bill Frisell plays on it and his influence is really clear to me.

EDIT: I just read this review which pretty much nails it. http://www.rollingstone.com/mu...-highway-20-20160203
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Nina Simone

I saw her in person when I was in college. Loved it. She appeared with Dave van Ronk. Now there was a weird pairing!

Love Nina! The weirdest pairing I ever saw was a show in the late '60s, IIRC, that had, as the headline act, Procol Harum. The opening act was some obscure bloke called Elton John.
Chilling out with some Art Tatum, currently

Going to switch out some CDs of Dead shows. I've been listening to these on the commute:
4-21-69 the Ark, Boston
4-22-69 the ark
4-26-69 Electric theater, Chicago
4-27-69 Labor Temple, Minneapolis
5-3-69 winterland
7-7-69 Piedmont park, Atlanta
9-7-69 Jeferson Airplane's house*
10-25-69 winter-land
11-2-69 Family Dog, SF

8-7-71 convention hall, San Diego
4-14-72 Tivolis Koncertsal, Copenhagen
2-9-73 roscoe mapales pavilion, Stanford
11-14-73 San Diego sports arena
4-27-77 Capitol theatre, Passaic, NJ
11-14-78 San Diego sports arena
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:
quote:
Mahler Das Lied von der Erde

I feel my Mahler obsession coming back. Not sure that's a good thing.

No, it's a great thing. Mahler is it...

Tonight, Smashing Pumpkins, MCIS.

Could Billy be the modern-day Mahler?! Chew on that one...

Well, I'm hooked on Mahler already. My obsession is rearing it's head because I'm getting more recordings of stuff I already have. I'm listening to my new recording of the 3rd right now. I have had the Bernstein recording on DG for a long time and am now listening to the Kubelik performance, and know there are other great ones to hear also. Sigh.
I’m listening to John Prine’s first album and can’t believe that (like Dylan) a 24-yr old kid wrote and sings this stuff! Amazing. What also mystifies me, a little, is how a kid from Maywood, IL (a Chicago suburb) sounds like a road weary veteran of old dusty southern back roads. Kris Kristofferson gets credit for “discovering” him, but it was actually another Chicago boy, the late great Steve Goodman.
quote:
quote:
quote:
Liszt B-minor Sonata

Nice. The only recording I have is Mikhail Pletnev. Who is performing on your recording?

I was playing it myself on the piano. tornado

Ha. Ha. No, it's Maurizio Pollini.

Almost had me there! Is Pollini still recording and performing?
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Liszt B-minor Sonata

Nice. The only recording I have is Mikhail Pletnev. Who is performing on your recording?

I was playing it myself on the piano. tornado

Ha. Ha. No, it's Maurizio Pollini.

Almost had me there! Is Pollini still recording and performing?

I don't think so.
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
quote:
Brahms Clarinet Quintet

in B minor

Interesting. I'm currently listing to Brahms Piano Concerto No. 2... in B Flat Major.

I'll be seeing this performed Saturday and just brushing up on the piece. It will be performed with Charles Ives Symphony No. 2, which will be on later today.

ESO? We'll be there also. I don't know where we're sitting. My F-I-L gets the tickets and he usually gets seats pretty close to the stage.
quote:
quote:
quote:
Brahms Clarinet Quintet

in B minor

Interesting. I'm currently listing to Brahms Piano Concerto No. 2... in B Flat Major.

I'll be seeing this performed Saturday and just brushing up on the piece. It will be performed with Charles Ives Symphony No. 2, which will be on later today.

ESO? We'll be there also. I don't know where we're sitting. My F-I-L gets the tickets and he usually gets seats pretty close to the stage.

Yes, ESO. I'll look for you - we can usually be found somewhere near the bar before the show. I think Allred will be there this weekend as well.
quote:
Tchaikovsky Symphony #6

in B-minor

I was talking to the Maestro of the ESO last night and asked jokingly if I could make a request for an upcoming show. I requested Tchaikovsky's No. 6. He said consider it done, knowing full well that next season's schedule is already complete. Big Grin FWIW, it is my favorite symphony.
quote:

Yes, ESO. I'll look for you - we can usually be found somewhere near the bar before the show. I think Allred will be there this weekend as well.

Likewise. I have no idea what our agenda is. My wife says we're doing dinner beforehand at <mumble> around <mumble> pm and then rolling over to the show.
quote:
quote:
Bach French Suite #3

in B-minor.

I'm going to have to think about what key to explore tomorrow.

A lot of good stuff in D min.

You know, that's what I had settled on last night, but this morning I decided to do a major scale. I think it will be E-flat major.

Right now, one last piece in B-minor, Bach's French Overture.
quote:
quote:
quote:
Bach French Suite #3

in B-minor.

I'm going to have to think about what key to explore tomorrow.

A lot of good stuff in D min.

You know, that's what I had settled on last night, but this morning I decided to do a major scale. I think it will be E-flat major.

Right now, one last piece in B-minor, Bach's French Overture.

E flat maj. has lots of great possibilities, from Beethoven to Mozart to Schumann
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Bevo:
A recent episode of Austin City Limits had Leon Bridges and Nathaniel Rateliff & the Night Sweats featured, which I didn't realize until running through my DVR recordings. Two of my faves right now back to back - loving it!

Great episode. Leon's extended version of Mississippi Kisses had me dancing in my seat.
quote:
Mahler 3

I wonder if whether I had been around when this premiered if I would have liked it. I'm sure it was jarring. In a way it's jarring still but it's in the realm of stuff that I think it's possible to be good music. I wonder if at the time I'd have been able to say that....

You talked yourself into all kind of knots there!
Eva Cassidy Simply Eva. I listen to other of Eva's CDs a lot and have ignored this one for a long time. I found it in the car door pocket and popped it into the CD player. Holy crap. This is just her and her guitar (plus a few live tracks previously released). My god. Her versions of "Who Knows Where the Time Goes" and especially "Kathy's Song" are spine tingling. And, believe it or not, she elevates Cyndi Lauper's "Time After Time" to immortal status. What an effin tragedy that she passed away so young.

[edited for grammar, if you really have to know Roll Eyes]
Last edited by haggis