Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by Vino Bevo:
Sitting in our hotel room listening to a guy down on the corner of 51st and 7th in Midtown Manhattan singing "Put a Little Love in Your Heart" over and over.

I appreciate the message but c'mon guy - change it up a bit...

Back when I was sailing, one of the ships I was working on was in dry dock in Cape Town for more than a month. Half of Cape Town's docklands are very very touristy but there is still a working component. You could hear a guy playing the sax solo from Gerry Rafferty's Baker Street over and over and over and over. It was the only thing he played, 6 days a week for about 5-6 hours a day.

Chinese water torture! Still I can never not hear it and smile a bit...
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
Led Zeppelin - Presence

Under appreciated compared to most of their catalog. It's one of my favorites from them, and the circumstances under which they recorded it were pretty incredible.

Yeah, I love this record. I was chasing down live recordings of Achilles Last Stand on YouTube a couple of weeks ago. Love it.
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
Howard Jones, Nick Kershaw, Paul Young, Level 42, Thomas Dolby, etc.

Getting my 80s synth groove on.

The New Orleans styled 'second line' buskers who are playing across the street from my office just broke out A-Ha, Michael Jackson and a host of other 80's hits.

Was entertaining for the first 5 minutes, but now I want to shoot myself. No more tuba please!
quote:
Originally posted by JDWest:
quote:
Howard Jones, Nick Kershaw, Paul Young, Level 42, Thomas Dolby, etc.

Getting my 80s synth groove on.

The New Orleans styled 'second line' buskers who are playing across the street from my office just broke out A-Ha, Michael Jackson and a host of other 80's hits.

Was entertaining for the first 5 minutes, but now I want to shoot myself. No more tuba please!

Take On Me on the tuba? Yeah, that would get annoying.
quote:
Originally posted by Adam10:
quote:
Originally posted by vinole:
Gary Clark Jr. Live

Just saw him. So good.

He's about to record a taping of Austin City Limits to introduce his new album, and a buddy who works for the show has an early release copy - says it's going to be his "corner-turning" album that will take him to headliner. Can't wait...
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
Grace Potter and the Nocturnals

Interesting how she has transformed herself over the last 10 years. In 2005 she was doing blues rock in t-shirt and jeans, sitting behind the Hammond B3 all night. Do a Youtube search. From that to her "Oh La La" glam look. And now she's gone solo and is doing synth pop.
James Carter is one of the most amazing sax players EVER. I am listening, for the umpteenth time, to his 2000 release, "Chasin' the Gypsy," his homage to Django. He can play everything from bass to soprano sax with reckless abandon. Absolutely stunning recording. In the 15 years since its release, I must have played it at least 3x per month. Can't get enough of it. Mind blowing.
quote:
Originally posted by haggis:
I was listening to Murray Perahia's recording of the Goldberg Variations, then got a hankering for something a little more edgy.

So, now listening to Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, "The Boatman's Call." I love this album.

I thought the second line was going to be, so I switched to Glenn Gould's recording. Nevermind.
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
quote:
I was listening to Murray Perahia's recording of the Goldberg Variations, then got a hankering for something a little more edgy.

So, now listening to Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, "The Boatman's Call." I love this album.

I thought the second line was going to be, so I switched to Glenn Gould's recording. Nevermind.

Haha! Good one. I don't even own Gould's recordings.

Now, listening to Brendel playing Beethoven's last 3 piano sonatas.
quote:
Pinotlvr, you could start with #1 and work up from there.

Tragically Hip - Up To Here

Hehe...I think a complete re-write of the entire list would be required. Smile However, I am aware that I'm not very "impartial" when it comes to music, so I would not be a good person to actually make the list, but any list without Sweet Child 'O Mine in the top 20, much less the top 50 is just plain wrong.
quote:
Originally posted by Pinotlvr:

Hehe...I think a complete re-write of the entire list would be required. Smile However, I am aware that I'm not very "impartial" when it comes to music, so I would not be a good person to actually make the list, but any list without Sweet Child 'O Mine in the top 20, much less the top 50 is just plain wrong.

Well at least it was on the list. For my taste I can't figure out how that list couldn't include Tom Waits (Downtown Train), Leonard Cohen (Hallelujah), Pogues (Fairytale of New York) or XTC (All of a Sudden). Not to mention many others.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
The fountain in the courtyard this morning with my espresso.

It is a very quiet morning in the neighborhood.

Nice!

Now, listening to Haydn's string quartets; specifically, the Op. 76 series. I have two recordings that I was comparing tonight: Quatuor Mosaiques (an Austrian release from 2001) and the Kodaly Quartet (Naxos release from 1989). Technology be damned. The older Kodaly version is amazing. Warm, sincere, caressing, and (when appropriate) explosive. The other is cold, icy, and so closely miked that you can hear every inhale and exhale of the musicians. Regardless, Haydn's Op. 76 quartets (particularly Op. 76, No. 3) are some of the most sublime pieces in the classical literature.
quote:
quote:
Pablo Casals

Playing which piece(s)? They don't make 'em like that anymore! Steven Isserlis is performing here next month. I've not seen him in concert. Have you?

haggis, I was listening to the Casals station on Pandora. The Bach cello suites were playing first.

As for Isserlis, we were in Dublin a few years ago and missed him by a day. We should have moved our trip to Cork back a day in hindsight.

If you attend, please post your impressions.
Gary Clark Jr. - The Story of Sonny Boy Slim

Gotta say this is a big disappointment. Very little of his guitar prowess on display. A mix of blues, rock, hip hop, soul, funk, and pop. Seems like an intentional try at broadening his base with more mainstream, and boring, tracks. A couple of tracks sound like they came off the last Black Keys album, another attempt at watering down what made them great in favor of a more accessible, mainstream sound that left the base fans hugely let down (see Mumford & Sons latest album as,well). At least I can listen to his earlier albums to know what this guy is capable of.
quote:
quote:
Watch the live clip of Blank Space on The Daily Show from last week. Awesome.

That's what prompted me to respond to your post and I went back and watched it again...meh. We've had a couple of exchanges about his music and it seems I'm just not as big a fan as you.

Can't bat 1.000... but at least we agree on plenty of other music.
quote:
The sounds of a tailgate starting... Grill getting hot, beer flowing and happy voices.

It is 62 degrees, not a cloud in the sky and OU-Texas is in the air.

Big time college football is so special.

Wish I were there with you my friend! No matter the outcome (and I think we all know how ugly it's going to get today) the Texas-OU game is by far the most awe-inspiring sports event I've ever attended.

Enjoy! (and Hook'Em) Wink
quote:
The Firesign Theatre - Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me The Pliers

Last night on headphones. I need a fix of this every 5 or 10 years.

Shoes for industry! Shoes for the dead!

quote:
Ersatz Bros. Coffee, the real thing. Look for for the can in the plain brown can.

quote:
Youth doesn't know about the disappearance of the old school.
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
quote:
The Firesign Theatre - Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me The Pliers

Last night on headphones. I need a fix of this every 5 or 10 years.

Shoes for industry! Shoes for the dead!

quote:
Ersatz Bros. Coffee, the real thing. Look for for the can in the plain brown can.

quote:
Youth doesn't know about the disappearance of the old school.

I could go on quoting this for the next half hour. "You can believe me because I never lie and I'm always right." "...and there's hamburger all over the highway in Mystic, Connecticut."
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
Biber violin sonatas.

Who knew Bieber played the violin?! bart

... and that his music would be filling coffee shops throughout Salzberg. Wink

He's known for barely making it through the thematic exposition before throwing down his violin and stomping off stage in a snit.
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
Biber violin sonatas.

Who knew Bieber played the violin?!