Mitchell, Blue and Morrison Astral Weeks.

Trying to decide if I'm going to work tomorrow. Big Grin

Anyone have an opinion on the new Leonard Cohen or Van Morrison albums?
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:

Van has a better voice than Leonard? Wink
quote:
Originally posted by ThistlinTom:
quote:

Van has a better voice than Leonard? Wink

Ha... no one buys Leonard due to his voice, that is for sure. Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
(Monday morning) Mozart - string quartets

Perfect Monday morning.

I have one must meeting today, then off for the week.

I'm looking forward to some serious time with music.
quote:
Originally posted by Jabe11:
quote:
Haydn String Quartets

Did you get the complete set?

No, it's on my wishlist still.
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Bevo:
Vince Guaraldi

I'll probably wait until Friday to get that out, but it is getting to be that time of year.
Swing into Christmas

one of my favorite Christmas records, jazz/swing covers of Christmas songs performed by Grover Washington, Jr., Terence Blanchard, Marcus Roberts, David Sanchez, Tramaine Hawkins, Wynton Marsalis. Live performance recording.
quote:
Originally posted by Gigond Ass:
Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables

Saw them at the Whiskey a Go Go shortly after this "album" came out.
The Christmas mix I made for my sister and her now husband when they got married in late December a couple years ago - all my favorite songs by the artists that did them best IMO.
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains The Same

Not sure if you are referring to just the song or the live album by the same name. The live set was an important step into my becoming a lifelong fan of hard rock. I believe I was 9 when it came out, and begged my older brother to play it often.
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
quote:

Not sure if you are referring to just the song or the live album by the same name. The live set was an important step into my becoming a lifelong fan of hard rock. I believe I was 9 when it came out, and begged my older brother to play it often.

bill- It was actually a little bit of both; I was listening to the song while watching the (concert) movie.
quote:
quote:
quote:

bill- It was actually a little bit of both; I was listening to the song while watching the (concert) movie.

They're going to be on Letterman tonight (3 Dec) if you're interested.
quote:

Thanks for the heads up. Will watch for sure. Are they playing or just being interviewed?

Right now

Neil Young - Freedom
quote:
the well tempered clavier

Who's playing? I just took out the Angela Hewitt recording from the library but haven't had a chance yet to listen.
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
quote:

Thanks for the heads up. Will watch for sure. Are they playing or just being interviewed?

Right now

Neil Young - Freedom

I think they are just being interviewed. Letterman is receiving the Kennedy Center Honors this year along with Zepplin, Dustin Hoffman, and couple of others. He is interviewing his fellow honorees over the next couple of weeks...
quote:
Originally posted by mitPradikat:
quote:
the well tempered clavier

Who's playing? I just took out the Angela Hewitt recording from the library but haven't had a chance yet to listen.

Sviatoslav Richter

I've just ordered the newer Andras Schiff recording as well. But I am really very fond of the Richter.
quote:
quote:

Pretty lame interview I thought. You don't get the sense that letterman knows much about music.
JPJ was funny though
quote:
quote:
quote:

Pretty lame interview I thought. You don't get the sense that letterman knows much about music.
JPJ was funny though

I got the sense that he knew the band by name only.

Robert Plant looks terrible.
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
Rush

in honor of their induction (finally) into R&R Hall of Fame.

Go Rush!

Enigma - good in heavy traffic
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
Rush

in honor of their induction (finally) into R&R Hall of Fame.

Go Rush!

Enigma - good in heavy traffic

I could never get past Geddy Lee's voice, grating to my ears though their musicianship is good
Loved what I saw of the concert. Missed some great stuff from what I understand.

I hear Nirvana+Paul rocked. Also missed the Boss. Stones were fine, but (the remaining) the Who were fantastic. Not my favorite music, but Billy Joel also did well.
Jack Johnson, soundtrack to curious George
Lynard skynard, street survivors
Vivaldi various concertos
Madonna GHV2
I'm watching the snow fall outside my kitchen window; drinking a cup of coffee; and listening to Vince Guaraldi Trio - A Charlie Brown Christmas.
quote:
I'm watching the snow fall outside my kitchen window; drinking a cup of coffee; and listening to Vince Guaraldi Trio - A Charlie Brown Christmas.

Perfect way to spend a morning!
Staying home tonight, to watch the Stones concert. Setting up a table in the den for dinner. Rack of lamb, Rhone wine in the glass, and the Stones!
The Stones concert was the best concert I've ever seen. I'll spare you the superlatives, but I've never seen anything this good before.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
The Stones concert was the best concert I've ever seen. I'll spare you the superlatives, but I've never seen anything this good before.

High praise. Was this a recent concert?

I have thought they have been mere shadows of themselves for a very longtime now.
It was live on Pay Per View last night at 9PM EST. They were great! Truly great. Watched on the big screen TV with the sound turned up a bit, but not deafening. The best $45 I can remember spending.
Led Zep - Celebration Day

Despite the fact that Plant had a hard time keeping up on a few songs, it's pretty good.
quote:

Despite the fact that Plant had a hard time keeping up on a few songs, it's pretty good.

He lives in Austin now and his wife, Patty Griffin who's a great performer in her own right, had a gig at The Continental Club last Saturday. It was billed as "Patty Griffin and her driver" which got folks thinking - sure enough it was him. I wasn't able to go but heard some clips and he sounded pretty damn good.
quote:

Same here. Haven't checked out the DVD, but the CD is pretty solid. Starts stronger than it ends for sure.
quote:
quote:

I have thought they have been mere shadows of themselves for a very longtime now.

+1. I hate to quibble over my taste in music vs. Yours but they were terrible at the 12.12.12 concert. I saw them live in the mid-90s, and they were great, but they on the down slope then
quote:
Originally posted by patespo1:
quote:
quote:

+1. I hate to quibble over my taste in music vs. Yours but they were terrible at the 12.12.12 concert. I saw them live in the mid-90s, and they were great, but you could see they were starting on the down slope then
Enjoying not working the last two weeks of the year.

Tonight will be my third off-line this week ( Cool) and enjoying opera this windy morning.

Third act, Otello and last two acts od Madame Butterfly.
REM - It's the End of the World as We Know It

Elvis Costello - Waiting for the End of the World

DMB - When the World Ends

Eek
quote:
quote:
quote:

+1. I hate to quibble over my taste in music vs. Yours but they were terrible at the 12.12.12 concert. I saw them live in the mid-90s, and they were great, but they on the down slope then

+2. If I want to see a concert from when the Stones were on their game and still relevant...Ladies & Gentlemen: The Rolling Stones.

I saw them in 78, 81 and 89 and none of those shows were very good.
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Bevo:
An interesting combo - Johnny Cash and Christmas songs. Love it!

I used to have a record of Willie Nelson Christmas songs that I liked a lot. Also seemed an odd combo, but it was nice. I never knew it was really pronounced Jaingle Bells....
quote:
I never knew it was really pronounced Jaingle Bells....

What do you mean? Sounds right to me...
Razz
quote:
John Mayall, the turning point

Cool

Had "Room to Move" and "California" playing on the shuffle in the car on the way to the market today. Jon Mark's alto sax on "California" still gives me shivers...... Smokey comes to mind. "Room to Move" is the song that inspired me to buy my first harp. Bow

PH
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:

turn a phrase!

... says one troubadour about another. Cool

Hardly. Big Grin

In the ranking of living poets, Cohen holds a very high place. About the limit of my ability is being able to recognize him.
quote:
quote:
quote:

turn a phrase!

... says one troubadour about another. Cool

Hardly. Big Grin

In the ranking of living poets, Cohen holds a very high place. About the limit of my ability is being able to recognize him.

...says the skillful wordsmith that authored the great report of the WS cigar weekend in Vegas this year. Wink
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
quote:
Highway 61, Astral Weeks and Blue.

3/5

Big Grin ... and?

Always
Highway 61, Revisited

Almost Always
Blue

Usually
Astral Weeks
Moondance
Blonde on Blonde

----

Sometimes
Another Side of Bob Dylan
Revolver
Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Highway 61, Astral Weeks and Blue.

3/5

Big Grin ... and?

Always
Highway 61, Revisited

Almost Always
Blue

Usually
Astral Weeks
Moondance
Blonde on Blonde

----

Sometimes
Another Side of Bob Dylan
Revolver
Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs

No arguments from me.
Murray Perahia's recording of Bach's Goldberg Variations, followed by Christoph Rousset's harpischord version.
quote:
Oldies xmas mix...Ella, Mathis, , Aretha, Nat et al

We did that too a little bit ago, now onto Chanticleer with Dawn Upshaw.
quote:
Originally posted by ThistlinTom:
A Charlie Brown Christmas

quote:
Originally posted by wine + art:
Pavarotti.

Juxtaposition of the year. Winner

PH
My FIL gave us a Dave Brubeck boxed set for Christmas. Nice. 10 CDs. Will be listening to a lot of Brubeck for awhile. That can't be bad.
quote:
Led Zeppelin Celebration Day Double CD that I got for Christmas yesterday.

Wish they would tour again

You and me both - along with about 50 million other people. Could you imagine the Ticketmaster server crashes if they were to announce an on-sale date?
quote:
quote:
Led Zeppelin Celebration Day Double CD that I got for Christmas yesterday.

Wish they would tour again

You and me both - along with about 50 million other people. Could you imagine the Ticketmaster server crashes if they were to announce an on-sale date?

Based on the CD (admittedly, 5 years ago was the concert) they sound fantastic. They obviously don't need the money, because a tour would generate the most $ ever, IMO
Irish Ways and Irish Laws

Was telling the story of meeting the sons of an IRA member in Dublin last year to a friend and it got me feeling Republican - the island kind...

Add Reply