quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
Music From Big Pink - The Band

Levon Helm died last week. RIP. Love the Band. Saw them several times live. Once with the Grateful Dead and they all played together for a 3 song encore Cool
quote:
Originally posted by Jabe11:
quote:
Originally posted by kingofcool:
No Dickey. Two guitarists are Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks (who replaced Dickey). Not too shabby of a replacement.
Not at all, at all...I've seen Warren play with them...his slide solo was cranked up, one of the best I've ever heard.

Warren and Derek have been in the band for 10 and 20+ years. They are the real deal. Warren Haynes is becoming a legend in the jam band scene. I saw him a few years ago filling Jerry Garcia's spot in the Grateful Dead. Derek Trucks just won a grammy for best blues album. I hope to see them again soon Wink
Sitting in the waiting area getting some auto service work done and they're playing "current" country music.

I'm not THAT old but I guess I've crossed that line because the stuff coming out these days sucks. IMO there hasn't been much if any good country music in the last 20 years and it gets worse the more time passes.
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle John:
Warren and Derek have been in the band for 10 and 20+ years.

I admit the last time i saw them was late '90s. Warren was playing circles around Dickie.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle John:
Warren and Derek have been in the band for 10 and 20+ years.

I admit the last time i saw them was late '90s. Warren was playing circles around Dickie.

The back where it all begins from the namesake album (song is recorded live in the early '90s) is awesome (thanks to Dickey).
Sting - Live in Berlin

I love to hear what was going through an artist's mind as they composed and wrote lyrics because it adds so much as you listen, especially to songs you've enjoyed for so many years. I also love a full orchestra because there are so many nuances that show behind the regular band.

One of my all time favorite artists and one of his best shows.
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Bevo:
Sting - Live in Berlin

I love to hear what was going through an artist's mind as they composed and wrote lyrics because it adds so much as you listen, especially to songs you've enjoyed for so many years. I also love a full orchestra because there are so many nuances that show behind the regular band.

One of my all time favorite artists and one of his best shows.

I also enjoy his recording in Tuscany on 911.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:

I also enjoy his recording in Tuscany on 911.

That's a great one also for so many reasons. I enjoyed seeing how he brought everyone in to the villa for all the preparation, and it was amazing to watch as they dealt with how to handle things after the events of the day.

That one also showed how good music can cross multiple genres as he redid his songs as jazz, country, reggae, and others.

Another reason he's one of my favorites.
quote:
Vivaldi

Smile The cello is by far my favorite instrument, and Vivaldi composed absolutely beautiful cello concertos. Dvorak is another favorite composer for the same reasons.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain

A very controversial work for Miles.

And in many ways a masterpiece, or as he put it "It's music and I like it.". If you're in the mood for Kind of Blue this won't scratch the itch. It does have a purity of soul though that makes my chest tight every time I listen to it.
quote:
quote:
quote:
Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain

A very controversial work for Miles.

And in many ways a masterpiece, or as he put it "It's music and I like it.". If you're in the mood for Kind of Blue this won't scratch the itch. It does have a purity of soul though that makes my chest tight every time I listen to it.

Oh, I'm a fan. Like you said, when he was asked if this is jazz, he said as only Miles could say... I don't know man. It is music, and I like it! Cool
quote:
While enjoying a wonderful early morning walk through the streets of downtown Austin.

Bill Evans
John Lee Hooker
Bob Dylan

Nice lineup, and appropriate for the location!
A compilation of hits from '58-'59. All enjoyable but Santo and Johnny's Sleepwalk is in a class by itself...timeless.
Paul Thorn Band - So Far So Good

Saw him open for Bonnie Raitt a while back and loved him. Blend of blues and rock with a Tupelo, Mississippi swirl through it...
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
Jarrett/Peacock/DeJohnette Up for It (live recording from Juan-les-Pins)

Nice.
quote:
Originally posted by spo:
Iron Maiden - Somewhere in Time

This had a reputation for being weak but is actually pretty good.

Spo, it took a while for this one to grow on me. I think a lot of fans who were into Maiden from the beginning were put off by the use of synthesizers. There are some fantastic songs on that album.
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
quote:
Originally posted by spo:
Iron Maiden - Somewhere in Time

This had a reputation for being weak but is actually pretty good.

Spo, it took a while for this one to grow on me. I think a lot of fans who were into Maiden from the beginning were put off by the use of synthesizers. There are some fantastic songs on that album.

I was hoping Preist's "Point of Entry" would be another newly discovered gem. Not really.

LOL
Some LPs that my collection was seriously missing that I picked up recently

Kraftwerk - Radio-Activity
Brian Eno - Another Green World
Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five - The Message
quote:
quote:
Very Best of Chicago

Is that a lot better than the Best of Chicago?

Confused

VERY much better...
Razz
Not sure why they named it that...
quote:
Originally posted by khmark7:
Peter Murphy - Ninth
Are you a fan of Bauhaus? They've made it back onto my iPod playlist recently.
quote:
Jazz on Pandora playing with the new iPad.

What do you think of jazz on pandora? I signed up, but haven't subscribed. Seems like a bit of a challenge if you don't pay to listen to what you want.

I tried to get a Bach channel, but as someone who doesn't pay I didn't get much Bach. I picked Thelonius Monk, which was much better. I didn't get much Monk but got a lot of interesting stuff.
quote:
quote:
Jazz on Pandora playing with the new iPad.

What do you think of jazz on pandora? I signed up, but haven't subscribed. Seems like a bit of a challenge if you don't pay to listen to what you want.

I tried to get a Bach channel, but as someone who doesn't pay I didn't get much Bach. I picked Thelonius Monk, which was much better. I didn't get much Monk but got a lot of interesting stuff.

I don't pay either so same experience, although still not bad. I'm not a big Pandora user as I tend to stream my favorite Austin stations or shuffle the stuff on my iPhone/iPsd. Just happened to go to Pandora and it was pretty nice...
quote:
Originally posted by NolanE:
quote:
Originally posted by khmark7:
Peter Murphy - Ninth
Are you a fan of Bauhaus? They've made it back onto my iPod playlist recently.

I like some of the old Bauhaus, but i think that Peter Murphy was better on his own. Old Love & Rockets were good as well.
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
The "A's" on my iPod:
Aaliyah
Adele
Anita
Aretha
None require a last name.

Anita? Am I that out of it??
quote:
I'm guessing Anita Baker.

WTF - no Anthrax???

You guess correctly... Unfortunately, no Anthrax, Aerosmith, Audioslave or Alice in Chains... However, there is some Allman Brothers.
quote:
quote:

WTF - no Anthrax???

You guess correctly... Unfortunately, no Anthrax, Aerosmith, Audioslave or Alice in Chains... However, there is some Allman Brothers.

To each their own....

Mine would be

Alkaline Trio
Audioslave
Arcade Fire
the Alarm
Aimee Mann
quote:
quote:

WTF - no Anthrax???

Hmmm, not a single Anita Baker song in my collection. I'll have to give her a listen on Pandora.
quote:
Originally posted by SD-Wineaux:
quote:
quote:

WTF - no Anthrax???

Hmmm, not a single Anita Baker song in my collection. I'll have to give her a listen on Pandora.

She has an incredible voice. Her "Rapture" album from 1987 is a classic in my opinion.
Trying out Rhapsody.

Enjoying Powerslave, Somewhere in Time from Iron Maiden.

Too many albums from Judas Priest, from Sad Wings to Ram it Down.

Savatage; Sirens, Dead Winter Dead, Handful of Rain.

A few songs from Kimbra

Yeah Yeah Yeahs It's Blitz

And of course Carly Rae Jespen's Call me Maybe.
quote:
The "A's" on my iPod:
Aaliyah
Adele
Anita
Aretha
None require a last name.
I would rather have a Kawasaki two-stroke engine spotwelded to my forehead than subject myself to that playlist....... Razz
quote:
Originally posted by vinoevelo:
quote:
Big Brother and the Holding Company, Cheap Thrills

great album

Yep.

Dr. John, Locked down
quote:
Guided by Voices - Let's Go Eat the Factory

I always wondered if you were guided by voices, especially when it came to your musical taste! Razz (but not your taste in hockey teams.....)
Ha!

Modest Mouse - Good News For People Who Like Bad News

Washington State should be proud of these guys. Brilliant. Nevermind those grunge kids.
Modest Mouse - I listened to them a ton in college. Now every time I hear them it takes me back.

Me, I'm on a big bluegrass kick. Sprinkled in with the new Tallest Man on Earth and White Arrows. Also really enjoy the new Sigur Ros.
quote:
Me, I'm on a big bluegrass kick.

Not sure if you've heard of them, but if not check out the Carolina Chocolate Drops - caught them recently and really enjoyed.
quote:
Modest Mouse - I listened to them a ton in college. Now every time I hear them it takes me back.

Eek A quick check of Wikipedia tells me Isaac Brock was born in 1975. So he was 5 when I started college. Not part of my college soundtrack, but they are a great band.
Vino Bevo - I have heard of the Carolina Chocolate Drops. Aside for one or two songs, their new album is very enjoyable.

steve8 - I bring down the average age of the board a good bit, no doubt.
quote:
Steve Miller

I'm not a big fan, but I've had one of his songs in my head for over a week. "You're the cutest thing that I ever did see...."
Beausoleil, watching the kids while mommy gets her hair done.

Dead, 03-19-77, winterland. Disc 1 has an annoying splice scar, cutting from Jerry's solo on TLEO to the last chorus of Tennesee Jed; the seamless Terrapin/playin/samson/playin on disc 2 recompenses.
quote:
Got a little Dean Martin going while I mix up some pasta - all I need now is a red checker tablecloth. Cool

Como e' bella ce' la luna brille e' strette
strette como e' tutta bella a passeggiare
Sotto il cielo di Roma

Cool
quote:
quote:

Eek A quick check of Wikipedia tells me Isaac Brock was born in 1975. So he was 5 when I started college. Not part of my college soundtrack, but they are a great band.

Funny. I am not a fan of them at all, nor the Decemberists, although I'll admit I was hung up on 16 military wives for a month. Voice winds me up now.
quote:
Originally posted by Adam10:
quote:
quote:

Funny. I am not a fan of them at all, nor the Decemberists, although I'll admit I was hung up on 16 military wives for a month. Voice winds me up now.

Then you have better taste in football than in music. Razz Big Grin

Right now

Spiritualized - Sweet Heart, Sweet Light
quote:
Tom Waits - Rain Dogs

A desert island disc.

Man I love that record. I remember when a friend of mine turned me onto it. I thought, this is nuts. I think on the 2nd listen I was hooked. Lyrics from those songs come to mind all the time.
quote:
quote:
Tom Waits - Rain Dogs

A desert island disc.

Man I love that record.

+1

I still can not think of Waits and not think of his appearance on Fernwood Tonight. Big Grin
quote:
quote:
quote:
Tom Waits - Rain Dogs

A desert island disc.

Man I love that record.

+1

I still can not think of Waits and not think of his appearance on Fernwood Tonight. Big Grin

I was not aware of that, but thanks to YouTube, I've seen it now. That's hilarious.
quote:

I was not aware of that, but thanks to YouTube, I've seen it now. That's hilarious.

A never miss program at our frat house in college. Cool
quote:
Brian Eno - Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy)

I think we could share an iPod without too much dissention, steve8. Cool

Right now, Mean Jeans - On Mars. Ramones like fun stuff.

PH
Tears for Fears . . . Bad Man's Song & Year of the Knife. Damn good. These have been right under my nose for 23 years and today is the first time that I stumbled across them. How many other gems are in my CD collection that I've never listened to? These songs are on 'The Seeds of Love' CD.
Sitting on the patio at our house in NOTL chatting and listening to Eva Cassidy.

Her rendition of Danny Boy is one of my all time favorites.
Not usually one for sharing, but I'm procrastinating at work.

Earlier today (at work):

Dungen - 4
Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
The Allman Brothers - Beginnings
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew

This evening/morning (still at work):

Big L - Lifestylez ov da Poor & Dangerous
Deltron 3030 - Deltron 3030
Dizzee Rascal - Boy in da Corner

Add Reply