quote:
Originally posted by duckfaninmt:
Christmas Night - Carols of the Nativity by John Rutter, The Cambridge Singers, and the City of London Sinfonia... undescribably beautiful.

Curious, how is your weather currently?
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:

Brutally cold the past week or so. Saturday it was a record -22F... without the wind chill factored in! Eek

It's supposed to get a bit better temperature-wise, which will be more than welcome. I love the snow and don't mind it being cold; however, I could definitely do without the ridiculous, multiple day sub-zero cold temps, that's for sure.
quote:
quote:

Brutally cold the past week or so. Saturday it was a record -22F... without the wind chill factored in! Eek

It's supposed to get a bit better temperature-wise, which will be more than welcome. I love the snow and don't mind it being cold; however, I could definitely do without the ridiculous, multiple day zub-zero cold temps, that's for sure.

I can not imagine, I really can not.
quote:
quote:
quote:

It's supposed to get a bit better temperature-wise, which will be more than welcome. I love the snow and don't mind it being cold; however, I could definitely do without the ridiculous, multiple day zub-zero cold temps, that's for sure.

I can not imagine, I really can not.

Yeah, the whole notion of "Winter Wonderland" takes on a whole new meaning when it's that cold outside (as in, "I wonder what the hell made me move here!) Wink

Though it was awhile ago, I still remember when I lived in Southern California and "the dead of winter" meant, "Hmmmm... I might need to put on a windbreaker today. Maybe." Big Grin
Nirvana

Next door neighbor was listening to them and I could hear it through the wall and I hadn't really listened since I was about 14 so I put some on, myself. Honestly, they weren't bad.
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
quote:
Mozart Piano Concerto #21, Elvira Madigan.

Absolutely brilliant.

Ditto that. The Piano Concertos from Elvira Madigan is probably one of my 5, or at least 10, most listened to CDs of orchestral music.
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
A flock of crows that has landed in the trees along my street. Pretty cool actually.

You are missing the wrangling on these boards then, IB. Razz
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
A flock of crows that has landed in the trees along my street. Pretty cool actually.

You are missing the wrangling on these boards then, IB. Razz

No I'm not, no I'm not. Wink Razz

Have a great New Year K!
quote:

Actually a murder of crows. Can't stand them, personally.
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
quote:

Actually a murder of crows. Can't stand them, personally.

In Texas, we say just say pull, when we think of crows. Wink
Fade to Black, Metallica.

I have NO idea why. I just got the sudden urge to listen to a sing I haven't listened to since I was 13. Weird.
No Auld Lang Syne for anyone last night? Our party sang it three times: Eastern, Central, and Mountain time zones.

(The Glenn Miller verison, of course)
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:

I have NO idea why. I just got the sudden urge to listen to a sing I haven't listened to since I was 13.

Nothing wrong with that. Wink
quote:

I have NO idea why. I just got the sudden urge to listen to a sing I haven't listened to since I was 13. Weird.

May I suggest next time, just take a walk, a nap, or whatever required until urge passes. Razz Smile
quote:
quote:

May I suggest next time, just take a walk, a nap, or whatever required until urge passes. Razz Smile

Astral Weeks

Straight through, beginning to end. Better? Big Grin Wink
quote:
quote:
quote:

Astral Weeks

Nowhere to go but up! Wink
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Astral Weeks

Nowhere to go but up! Wink

Ok. But you'll admit that is a major 'up'! Big Grin

Actually, as a cohesive pop/rock/folk/whatever album, I think this is easily in my top 10 of all time.
Speaking of Metallica, my ipod just skipped to For Whom the Bell Tolls. Older Metallica still does it for me, can’t get into their new stuff.
Vikings Live on the radio. If we dont sell the last 3000 tickets by tomorrow the Sunday game against the Eagles will be blacked out. Frown
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
Mozart Symphonies #39 & 40, Leonard Bernstein & The Vienna Philharmonic

I have that recording! I was listening to it 2 days ago. Smile
A fairly diverse rotation tonight...

Tim Weisberg - Tip of the Weisberg
Camel - Pressure Points ---> Andrew Latimer, one of the most amazingly gifted guitarists ever.
Pat Metheny Group - As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls
Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes are in heavy rotation for me right now. What a great album. One of the better releases from 2008.
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
Miles Davis, Kind of Blue on DVD-A surround.

Damn but he was great!

Oh, without question, and the sales continue to pour in some 50 years later.
quote:
Originally posted by GreenDrazi:
Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes are in heavy rotation for me right now. What a great album. One of the better releases from 2008.

Oh so true. Check out Blitzen Trapper, first with "Black River Killer".
REM - the old stuff (there best stuff IMHO)

Murmur
Reckoning
Life's Rich Pagent
Dead Letter Office
Document
Murmur Deluxe (the live show)
quote:
Originally posted by Dom'n'Vin'sDad:
Rainbow - Rising

thanks Red guy in a blue state!!!!

Might have to dig this one out. Great stuff.
quote:
Originally posted by lizardking:
Radiohead. Lots of it.

What's your preference, if any? I've always loved the Amnesiac album best.
quote:
The Mars Volta, Deloused in the Comatorium.
I never really got into this album despite the hype.
quote:
Madman Across the Water.

Too funny! Pulled out Tumbleweed Connection yesterday for the first time in years.

Today whilst pounding out 5 miles and trying to burn off some of last night's MD offline:

White Stripes - Elephant

ph
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Rockpile - Seconds of Pleasure

PH

Great, great record. Lowe and Edmunds at their peak.
quote:
Indeed. Hard to believe it's almost 30 years old..... Eek

PH

Was it really necessary to remind us how old we are PH? You could have just left it at being a great record, no? Big Grin
quote:
quote:
Madman Across the Water.

Too funny! Pulled out Tumbleweed Connection yesterday for the first time in years.

Today whilst pounding out 5 miles and trying to burn off some of last night's MD offline:

White Stripes - Elephant

ph

Good album to pound out some miles on Smile

Unfortunately, IMO, their last good album.
quote:
Originally posted by fcs:
Vampire Weekend
I was big into these guys in the summer, but now that we're into the ugly weather I haven't given them a listen for a while, they're like my sauvignon blanc of music.
quote:
Taking today off.

I have three wine events to attend. Smile

Mozart, Elvira Madigan.
Sounds like a good Thursday Cool
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
quote:
Taking today off.

I have three wine events to attend. Smile

Mozart, Elvira Madigan.
Sounds like a good Thursday Cool

A day of Bordeaux and Champagne, but with a lot of spitting until the dinner tonight. Cool
quote:
The Police - Synchronicity

PH

Great album, perhaps my favorite by them. "Synchronicity II" is an amazing song, with some incredible musicianship.
quote:
Herbie Hancock.

Nice call. I would imagine you'd have Evening With Herbie Hancock & Chick Corea in your collection as well?
quote:
Originally posted by markjahnke:
Counting Crows....August and Everything After
Great album, not so much after.
Calexico - Carried to Dust

I heard that Robert Plant said, in an acceptance speech, "we used to say this was selling out, but I think it's a good way to spend a Sunday".

Well Robert, you sold out. I hope she was good.
quote:
Big night for Robert Plant at the Grammy Awards.

This , of course, stinks for John Paul Jones and Jimmy Page. And everyone who would like to see Led Zeppelin tour again. It's hard to be ticked at Plant because he's got a lot going on already.

I'm sure all three have all the money they need, but think of all those dollars they could make with a tour. Eek
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
I heard that Robert Plant said, in an acceptance speech, "we used to say this was selling out, but I think it's a good way to spend a Sunday".

I watched it and heard his comment.
I thought he was segwaying into his list of 'Thank you's' that followed (Producers, etc).

Funny to see the comparison between Sir Paul and Plant. One has aged gracefully and the other has clearly partied hard. Smile
Beatles, Day in the Life

Edit: On radioparadise.com if you have not checked it out, you should! No affiliation.
quote:
Originally posted by errestaurants:
beethoven, moonlight sonata by Wilhelm Kempff

Great recording! His take on the Pathetique is phenomenal as well.

For me, Beirut. Just got into him / this band. The verdict isn't in yet, but I think I like him / them. It will deffinitely take a little more listening to be sure. Seems like just a bunch of people... maybe Grad students at NYU?... hanging out in the Village making music.

On Letterman last week -- I'd heard of them before but this was the frst time I listened to a complete song of theirs.
quote:
quote:
beethoven, moonlight sonata by Wilhelm Kempff

Great recording! His take on the Pathetique is phenomenal as well.

For me, Beirut. Just got into him / this band. The verdict isn't in yet, but I think I like him / them. It will deffinitely take a little more listening to be sure. Seems like just a bunch of people... maybe Grad students at NYU?... hanging out in the Village making music.

On Letterman last week -- I'd heard of them before but this was the frst time I listened to a complete song of theirs.

thanks for the link, that was different. the lead singer looks like John Mayer. I wanted to listen to regis philbin. Smile
quote:
Originally posted by Primordealsoup:
quote:
The King of the High C's, Pavarotti.

Nessun Dorma- one for the ages.

This will be performed at my funeral. Cool
quote:
quote:
quote:

This is truely one of the greatest songs performed by one of the greatest tenors of our time! I've heard many sing this, just not as well as Luciano.

Listened to more Bocelli-Incanto this morning on the way to work. I love some of these festive classics (Santa Lucia, Funiculi Funicula).
quote:
Cool

You did see my Valentine's Day lineup, didn't you?!?!!? The French outnumbered the Cali three to one.... Wink

I was assuming it was your wife that requested French... Wink
Toad the Wet Sprocket - Fear

Figure since I'm drinking a Santa Barbara County wine I'll listen to some music from a band that was formed nearby. Cool
quote:
quote:
Hank williams Sr.

Really?

yes. what, because i'm not over 40 or 35 or 30 i can't listen to the great hank. Razz

hey, W+A I posted notes on that Heitz in the drinking thread.
quote:
quote:
quote:
Hank williams Sr.

Really?

yes. what, because i'm not over 40 or 35 or 30 i can't listen to the great hank. Razz

I thought it was mandatory down there... Wink
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Hank williams Sr.

Really?

I thought it was mandatory down there... Wink

you put on some hank sr. or cash and my 85 yr old great grandmother goes crazy. her an I start dancing,singing,drinking (weller) Smile
quote:
quote:
quote:

Beautiful. But, hopefully that will not be for a long time. I think you have much wine to drink first. Wink
quote:
Elvis Costello and The Attractions....

Do you ever watch his (Costello) program Spectacle?

It is not made in California, so I'm thinking my odds are rather poor! Razz
quote:
quote:
Elvis Costello and The Attractions....

Do you ever watch his (Costello) program Spectacle?

It is not made in California, so I'm thinking my odds are rather poor! Razz

Actually, I had heard very good things about it and was set to DVR it, but simply forgot.

I did remember to DVR "Eastbound and Down" though....