quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Ravel, Bolero

I wonder how Bo Derek is doing these days? Smile

Uh-oh... the reference escapes me! Eek I'm guessing this is a reference to 10 in some way?

I keep forgetting how young you are. If you were in college when 10 came out, you would also think of Bo when you hear Ravel's Bolero. Cool
quote:
Originally posted by JMatthews:
quote:
quote:
The espresso machine

Nice... what type of machine?

Its the De'Longhi Magnifica Automatic Espresso machine. I love it. Everything is adjustable (amt of beans, amt of water) with a nob, and the best part is that it grinds the beans for you.

I have the same machine. Big Grin

It also makes a great Americana.
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
The espresso machine

Nice... what type of machine?

Its the De'Longhi Magnifica Automatic Espresso machine. I love it. Everything is adjustable (amt of beans, amt of water) with a nob, and the best part is that it grinds the beans for you.

I have the same machine. Big Grin

It also makes a great Americana.

Very true.

Its funny how regular old coffee just won't cut it anymore after having one of these around for awhile.
quote:
Hilary Hahn.

Not yet 30, and simply brilliant.

She and I are almost exactly the same age. When we were 17 she visited Cleveland and played with the Cleveland Orchestra (Mendelsohn's Violin Piano Concerto in E Minor) and got a standing ovation from the orchestra! (I was there, she deffinitely deserved it.)

Haha... she wasn't traveling with her parents so she stayed with my good friend... because at the time my friend (also 17) was dating a 40+ 1st violinist Big Grin
quote:
quote:
Hilary Hahn.

Not yet 30, and simply brilliant.

She and I are almost exactly the same age. When we were 17 she visited Cleveland and played with the Cleveland Orchestra (Mendelsohn's Violin Piano Concerto in E Minor) and got a standing ovation from the orchestra! (I was there, she deffinitely deserved it.)

Haha... she wasn't traveling with her parents so she stayed with my good friend... because at the time my friend (also 17) was dating a 40+ 1st violinist Big Grin

Winetarelli, what a small world. If anyone on this forum knew Hilary, I was thinking you, stickman and maybe Irwin. Smile

I think she was 15 the first time I saw her, and she was simply flawless and brought life to works of Stravinsky and Brahms.

I was hoping she would not get coached out of her brilliance, and it appears she did not. Cool
quote:
Winetarelli, what a small world. If anyone on this forum knew Hilary, I was thinking you, stickman and maybe Irwin. Smile

I actually did not get to meet her personally as I only became friends with the other girl about a month or two after Hilary came to town. But, yes, I'm quite familiar with her and I agree she is excellent.

(As an aside, I have no idea why I threw the word "piano" into the Mendelsohn's concerto above -- I think it is because I forgot how to spell "Mendelsohn" so looked it up and saw the word piano somewhere... but I digress...)

Right now I am listening to Bringing it all Back Home (Dylan)
quote:
quote:

I actually did not get to meet her personally as I only became friends with the other girl about a month or two after Hilary came to town. But, yes, I'm quite familiar with her and I agree she is excellent.

Just perhaps you should have paid attention to Hilary in lieu of the other girl. Wink
quote:
quote:
(Re: 7th) The Greatest Stereo Recording of Anything Ever

Alright, it better be special.

I'm buying!

Big Grin

I doubt you will regret it. Kleiber is as good conducting the 7th as Toscanini is (to me) and also does it very similarly. But, the recording is in stereo. And, of course, the 7th is simply my favorite piece of music. As does everyone, I fell in love with the second movement first (when I was 15) but then I got this CD and fell in love with the whole damn thing!
quote:
quote:
quote:
(Re: 7th) The Greatest Stereo Recording of Anything Ever

Alright, it better be special.

I'm buying!

Big Grin

I doubt you will regret it. Kleiber is as good conducting the 7th as Toscanini is (to me) and also does it very similarly. But, the recording is in stereo. And, of course, the 7th is simply my favorite piece of music. As does everyone, I fell in love with the second movement first (when I was 15) but then I got this CD and fell in love with the whole damn thing!

BOUGHT!
quote:
Nirvana - Unplugged Live

I was in a bar with a couple of friends a few weeks ago and The Man Who Sold The World came on. (From the Nirvana Unplugged almbum, not Bowie.) I hadn't heard the song since I was a freshman in high school. Good stuff. Really good. It immediately evoked 13-14 to me. Some of the music I listened to at those ages is absolute garbage, but now when I hear some Nirvana or Pearl Jam I will occasionally stop and think to myself, "well, I didn't have such bad taste..."
I agree, and yes, that album is pretty amazing, even if one is not a big fan of the plugged-in version of Nirvana. Plus, when you realize that this is one of the last things that they did before Kurt killed himself, you can almost hear the pain in his voice as he is going at some of these songs. The Man Who Sold The World, Lake of Fire and Where Did You Sleep Last Night are just powerful songs.
quote:
The greatest... Dylan

And more Dylan.

If I haven't listened to him in a while, and then I come back... just in awe.

Can you imagine if an act popular with 15-35 y/os right now released a song like, "With God on Our Side" or "Only a Pawn in their Game"? No one would know what to think. (And those aren't even his good songs.)
quote:
quote:
Mix of Allman Brothers, and the K-Horns are earning their worth! Cool

Jessica...

I love Jessica... in high school there was a girl I would drive to and from school who claimed she had an orgasm every time the piano solo came on. Needless to say, we listened to that song a lot Big Grin

Needless to say... I HOPE YOU HAD A PIANO! Wink
quote:
Originally posted by lizardking:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Allman Brothers

up next: Van Morrison

Brilliant! Cool

I lied. I went to Janis. Van Morrison is now up next. Big Grin

What Van Morrison? I really like his older stuff, like anything from His Band And The Street Choir Album is great.

I put on Astral Weeks... the album.

The art of the album has become lost. Beyond the absolutely phenomenal songs on them, as albums, I have to say Astral Weeks and Moondance are both deffinitely in my top 10 of all time... depending upon my mood, maybe top 5.
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
quote:
Originally posted by theweb:
My 13 year old son is listening to Katy Perry "I kissed a girl' - must be 20 times today. Big Grin

Catchy tune indeed. Wink

Very catchy! I had it stuck in my head literally overnight last week - woke up to it playing in my head in the morning.

Right now I've got Coldplay's Viva la vida on the brain... [tune] "and I liked it!" - Damn, there's Katy Perry again! Wink Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by stickman:
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
quote:
Originally posted by theweb:
My 13 year old son is listening to Katy Perry "I kissed a girl' - must be 20 times today. Big Grin

Catchy tune indeed. Wink

Very catchy! I had it stuck in my head literally overnight last week - woke up to it playing in my head in the morning.

Right now I've got Coldplay's Viva la vida on the brain... [tune] "and I liked it!" - Damn, there's Katy Perry again! Wink Big Grin

Big Grin I've also had that ditty playing over and over again in my head. I wonder how many teenage girls she's going to inspire to take a walk on the wild side?
quote:
Mozart's Viola Quintets.

You are a connoisseur's connoisseur. Smile As you wrote of the Selosse: "Not a Champagne for a Champagne novice in my opinion, and one of the better wines from Champagne I have enjoyed." Insert 'Mozart' for 'Champagne' and 'composition' for 'wine,' and you could have a fitting description of these masterworks.
quote:
Originally posted by stickman:
quote:
Mozart's Viola Quintets.

You are a connoisseur's connoisseur. Smile As you wrote of the Selosse: "Not a Champagne for a Champagne novice in my opinion, and one of the better wines from Champagne I have enjoyed." Insert 'Mozart' for 'Champagne' and 'composition' for 'wine,' and you could have a fitting description of these masterworks.

Ha! This coming from you The Stickman, is the highest of praise.

You and winetarelli are my judge and jury. Smile

I would love to hear you breakdown these masterworks over a bottle of wine together. I discover something new each time I absorb them. Smile
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
WTF??? Both sites are only available to listeners in the US. Frown

Pandora used to be availible here in Canada.

I even had a hook up where I plugged my laptop to my sound system. It was great.

I loved the way you customised your channels, then let the music go.. The more you fine tunned your style of music the better it got.

What I liked the best is when your into a certain style and fixed on 3 or 4 artists of the same style once programed in your channel of Pandora they would offer new music of the same style.
Got to find lots of new and old artist I never knew.
Last edited by vinaigre
Just walked in from a fantastic concert.

The Gypsy Kings just brought the house down for the second straight night before heading back home in the South of France.

When I think of all the great events I have attended at the Meyerson Symphony Hall ( Carrera, Domingo, Bach, Mozart, et al.) I have never seen the place with such energy and BEAUTIFUL women! Cool

The 1900 seat Meyerson is such a wonderful venue.