Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
White Bird, It's a Beautiful Day.


My faulty memory has it that a kajillion years ago, It's a Beautiful Day, lived in Graton, CA, which is in the Green Valley AVA (Russian River). Back then, it was the armpit of Sonoma County. This was the result of the largest employer being an apple canning factory. You could smell the place before you could see it. Cheap rents though...

Just trying to tie together this thread with wine Smile
quote:
Originally posted by tanglenet:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
White Bird, It's a Beautiful Day.


My faulty memory has it that a kajillion years ago, It's a Beautiful Day, lived in Graton, CA, which is in the Green Valley AVA (Russian River). Back then, it was the armpit of Sonoma County. This was the result of the largest employer being an apple canning factory. You could smell the place before you could see it. Cheap rents though...

Just trying to tie together this thread with wine Smile


If this song was part of your youth, you should not remember all that well! Wink
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
Joni Mitchell


What a songwriter!


Agreed. I think Blue has been one of my ten (five?) favorite albums since I was 15! It is one of those albums, kind of like Revolver, that you (I) naturally wind up stopping listening to for a while... then one day you put it on and you instantly remember why you love it so much. Smile
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
Joni Mitchell


What a songwriter!


Agreed. I think Blue has been one of my ten (five?) favorite albums since I was 15! It is one of those albums, kind of like Revolver, that you (I) naturally wind up stopping listening to for a while... then one day you put it on and you instantly remember why you love it so much. Smile


Blue... you were not even born in 1971! Razz

You're a young man of exquisite style and taste.
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
Agreed. I think Blue has been one of my ten (five?) favorite albums since I was 15! It is one of those albums, kind of like Revolver, that you (I) naturally wind up stopping listening to for a while... then one day you put it on and you instantly remember why you love it so much. Smile


Well said.

Hmmmm.... This album was released in 1971. If you were 15 that would make you, it would make you.........older than wine + art! Eek Eek

PH
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
Agreed. I think Blue has been one of my ten (five?) favorite albums since I was 15! It is one of those albums, kind of like Revolver, that you (I) naturally wind up stopping listening to for a while... then one day you put it on and you instantly remember why you love it so much. Smile


Well said.

Hmmmm.... This album was released in 1971. If you were 15 that would make you, it would make you.........older than wine + art! Eek Eek

PH


My parents had not yet met in 1971 -- I think my mother was still in her teens then -- Big Grin I was just born in the wrong era
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by tanglenet:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
White Bird, It's a Beautiful Day.


My faulty memory has it that a kajillion years ago, It's a Beautiful Day, lived in Graton, CA, which is in the Green Valley AVA (Russian River). Back then, it was the armpit of Sonoma County. This was the result of the largest employer being an apple canning factory. You could smell the place before you could see it. Cheap rents though...

Just trying to tie together this thread with wine Smile


If this song was part of your youth, you should not remember all that well! Wink


I never inhaled Smile
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Beethoven's 9th, D Minor.


Whose? I've not found a 9th that I think is notably superior to all others. (Not true of, say, the 7th, where I think Kleiber's is by so far and away the best stereo recording that it is silly. And then if you including mono recordings there is Toscanini...)


I will need to check with my daughter as she handles my iPod. (no comments please) Big Grin

I would text her now, but confident she has yet to see daylight in Austin. Eek

The one I have is superior to most imo.
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Beethoven's 9th, D Minor.


Whose? I've not found a 9th that I think is notably superior to all others. (Not true of, say, the 7th, where I think Kleiber's is by so far and away the best stereo recording that it is silly. And then if you including mono recordings there is Toscanini...)


I have Abbado conducting the Vienna Philharmonic and like it.

Right now, Mozart Violin Concertos #2 & 4, Levine and Perlman.
"Travels" the live album by the Pat Metheny Group. My favorite guitarist and keyboard player in the same band... phenomenal musicians. The live version of "Are You Going With Me?" is hauntingly beautiful with its Bolero-like building of intensity... leaves me breathless every time.

If I had a couple wishes granted to me one of them would be to play the piano like Lyle Mays does.
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
duckfaninmt,

In case you want an unsolicited 'Trane opinion:

Giant Steps, Bluetrane, and then Live at Birdland. Save Impressions and A Love Supreme for a little later on. If you're inclined, and live on the edge: Sun Ship or Ascension (I prefer second version).

GLuck,


I was recently doing some cleaning in my garage and in one of the (too many) boxes, I found the Blue Train CD. I had totally forgotten that I had that in the collection so I was stoked to say the least.

I really appreciate your other recommendations and will definitely look into them. Thanks!
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
The Wagner Opera Collection.

Ha! Great operas. Just sooooo da*n long.

Just reminds me of when I lived in Munich, we purchased a Wagner Opera Series of tickets, to be played throughout that season. Within days after attending the first one I sold the rest. One of the scheduled operas was 8 hours long, with only one short intermission! Eek

Arrogant Bas****, that Wagner! Mad Big Grin

Incredible music, but I retain the power of when to shut him off. Smile
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:


Within days after attending the first one I sold the rest.


KSC02, you are indeed a man of culture, as long as it all can be enjoyed within an hour or two. Razz Wink

I must be in the mood for Wagner. It was a beautiful day in Dallas yesterday. I open all 3 doors to the patio, turned up the CD, and reworked several potted plants, and fed 25+ others to the great and genius works of Wagner.

I think my plants/herbs and flowers also enjoyed it. Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:


Within days after attending the first one I sold the rest.


KSC02, you are indeed a man of culture, as long as it all can be enjoyed within an hour or two. Razz Wink

I must be in the mood for Wagner. It was a beautiful day in Dallas yesterday. I open all 3 doors to the patio, turned up the CD, and reworked several potted plants, and fed 25+ others to the great and genius works of Wagner.

I think my plants/herbs and flowers also enjoyed it. Big Grin


Wagner and herb are indeed a good pairing.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
KSC02, you are indeed a man of culture, as long as it all can be enjoyed within an hour or two. Razz Wink

You've got my number, W+A.
After a few hours of Wagner, he'd start losing me. It's not easy to remain all composed, when recovering from that occasional 'falling off a cliff', deer in the headlights, adrenaline rush after nodding off. Everyone around you dressed formally in tuxedos and gowns. It's a talent in it's itself. Smile
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
The Wagner Opera Collection.

Ha! Great operas. Just sooooo da*n long.

Just reminds me of when I lived in Munich, we purchased a Wagner Opera Series of tickets, to be played throughout that season. Within days after attending the first one I sold the rest. One of the scheduled operas was 8 hours long, with only one short intermission! Eek

Arrogant Bas****, that Wagner! Mad Big Grin

Incredible music, but I retain the power of when to shut him off. Smile


I can't listen to too much Wagner. I start getting the urge to conquor Poland.
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Teeth:
The remastered version of the "Allman Brothers at Fillmore East" (Live)

Possibly my favorite "live" album. Just listening to Duane's slide on "Statesboro Blues" reminds me of just how tragic his loss was.


Agreed that it is a great live album. My favorite live album, though, is prbably 'Live at Leeds' (The Who) just for how much better those songs sound off of that than off of their original recordings.
Pete Townshend's "White City"

Love the entire album, especially "Crashing By Design"...

Nothing must pass this line
Unless it is well defined
You just have to be resigned
You're crashing by design

You once believed that crazy accidents
were happening to you
You were chasing a capricious wind
Whenever bad luck and trouble
happened to pursue you
The dice would surely save your skin
But when you look back you must realize
That nothing in your life's divine
Everything that's ever befallen you
Happened simply 'cause it crossed your mind
You're crashing by design

Nothing must pass this line
Unless it is well defined
You just have to be resigned
You're crashing by design

In your single-roomed flat in a courtyard building
You sit alone just like a broken toy
Where's your mother, where's your lover
and where are the children
Are you a man or still a boy?
Who left you behind, or did you run
From the crush of so many options?
Now you know the special despair of the man
Discussed, debated and offered for adoption

Nothing must pass this line
Unless it is well defined
You just have to be resigned

Another man without a woman
Dropped like a tool no longer required
A man who longs for the stifling
Milk flowered bosom, a fool
who's no longer desired

Another man without a woman
Too many rages have cost you this time
Another man among a hundred children
You're just a child who is lost in time

You're crashing by design
You're crashing by design
I't all happens by design
I't all happens by design
You're crashing by design

I't all happens by design
I't all happens by design
You're crashing by design
quote:
Originally posted by spo:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
spo, looks like she could use a skosh more furniture in her place, no?


I cannot respond to that in a way that is not fundamentally filthy. I even thought of 3 different responses. All depraved, all of them.


... not to mention all of the great walls screaming for ART. Wink
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
I for one am disappointed that the chair was not better utilized. Eek Wink


I think that is where spo was going.