Skip to main content

PJ Harvey---White Chalk

This one just dropped, and I'm a big PJ fan, but this one isn't quite my cup of tea, at least on the first listen. But, neither was her brilliant To Bring You my Love, so I'll give this one more time before a final verdict.

Very down-tempo, mostly acoustic, and PJ frequently sings in an upper register she doesn't seem comfortable in. But, then again, her music has never been about comfort, and it may grow on me. A very confessional album, and feels like one long song, broken into pieces.

If you're more than a casual fan, sure pick this one up, but otherwise, it's a pass.
Randomish mix... right now the past few songs have been:

Mr. Tambourine Man (Dylan)
City of New Orleans (Arlo Guthrie)
Tiny Dancer (Elton John)
Stairway to Heaven (Zepplin)
Blue Sky (Allman Brothers Band)
Locomotive Breath (Jethro Tull)
Superstition (Stevie Wonder)
While My Guitar Gently Weeps (Beatles/Clapton)
Tupelo Honey (Van Morrison)
Torn and Frayed (Stones)
Thunder Road (The Boss)
I Don't Need No Doctor (Ray Charles)

up next:

Paper Sun (Traffic)
Last edited by winetarelli
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
Randomish mix... right now the past few songs have been:

Mr. Tambourine Man (Dylan)
City of New Orleans (Arlo Guthrie)
Tiny Dancer (Elton John)
Stairway to Heaven (Zepplin)
Blue Sky (Allman Brothers Band)
Locomotive Breath (Jethro Tull)
Superstition (Stevie Wonder)
While My Guitar Gently Weeps (Beatles/Clapton)
Tupelo Honey (Van Morrison)
Torn and Frayed (Stones)
Thunder Road (The Boss)
I Don't Need No Doctor (Ray Charles)

up next:

Paper Sun (Traffic)


You are far too young for that mix! Wink
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
Randomish mix... right now the past few songs have been:

Mr. Tambourine Man (Dylan)
City of New Orleans (Arlo Guthrie)
Tiny Dancer (Elton John)
Stairway to Heaven (Zepplin)
Blue Sky (Allman Brothers Band)
Locomotive Breath (Jethro Tull)
Superstition (Stevie Wonder)
While My Guitar Gently Weeps (Beatles/Clapton)
Tupelo Honey (Van Morrison)
Torn and Frayed (Stones)
Thunder Road (The Boss)
I Don't Need No Doctor (Ray Charles)

up next:

Paper Sun (Traffic)


You are far too young for that mix! Wink


I can't help it that I was born 30 years too late Big Grin

Your generation just made better music than mine. Cool
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
All alone in the house, and the systems is blowing out "La Traviata" Act 1!

Hail to Verdi. Big Grin


FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, OUR TASTES ARE TOOOOO SIMILAR!!!!

While I have loved Operetta (Gilbert and Sullivan, mostly, but also Offenbach) since I can recall, it was La Traviata that made me love opera. The Cleveland (where I grew up) opera was putting on a show. I went, basically on a lark, when I was 16. But the female lead was sick. Rather than use the understudy, it just so happens the MET was going to start up two weeks later with a production. So we got the New York Metropolitan Opera House's diva. Wow. Her voice got a little metallic at the higher range, but still. Wow.

Still, I am a bigger G&S fan than just about anything else in the world. (The greatest theatre experience of my life was 4th row center at the D'Oyly Carte production of The Mikado at the Savoy in London.) But man, I'm a huge fan of La Traviata and that is what got me interested in opera.
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by wine+art:
All alone in the house, and the systems is blowing out "La Traviata" Act 1!

Hail to Verdi. Big Grin


FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, OUR TASTES ARE TOOOOO SIMILAR!!!!

Okay, I'm going to start calling you Mini Me! Cool

You are not too much older than my kids, (no DNA test please) and it excites me to know you have such a love of the finer things in life at such a young age! Bravo.

Do you enjoy art as well?

Thank you for sharing how you fell in love with Operetta. A great story that put a smile on my face as I could feel your passion in your words.

Stay curious Mini Me and have a great Thanksgiving.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Do you enjoy art as well?


I do but I'm almost scared to tell you what I like. Razz

(Geez, I could write a novel about how I fell in love with art. I'm the geek who at 20 had a Monet Poster on his wall rather than one of Carmen Electra...)

Actually, I love art. From an overall perspective, my favorite art may be Rembrandt. I just can't get over how he paints eyes. I was lucky enough to go to the Reichmuseum in my early teens, and to see 'Nightwatch' and some of his other masterpieces was spectacular. (And, honestly, I used to go to the Met in NYC once or twice a year and they have a lot of great pieces of his as well.)

I fell in love with 3 dimentional art the summer I turned 17. My family went to Rome and Florence and, well, basically lots of Italy north of Rome. The Uffizi did it for me. As did Michaelangelo's 'Moses' (I was far more impressed with 'Moses' than I was with 'David'.)

But it wasn't until the summer I turned 19 -- one week after I turned 19, actually -- that I truly fell in love with 2 dimentional art. Before then I appreciated it, but I did not love it. I had already been to several famous art museums in these cities famous for their art (Paris, New York, Amsterdamn, etc), I'd been to the Sistine Chapel, but it was the Prado in Madrid that did it. I recall staring at 'The Garden of Earthly Delights' for about 50 minutes and only leaving it because I knew I couldn't spend more than 1 day in the museum (we'd gotten there at about 10:00am, I'm pretty certain my family left at 12:30; I think I got a bite to eat then but I know I then stayed in the museum basically until closing). Then I got to Picasso's 'Guernica' (I believe it has since moved to a different museum) and it was incredible. But more incredible was the sketch of the screaming horse he did that was located right next to it. I mean, this is 8 years ago and I've never been back, but the image is burned into my skull. I still cannot stop talking about it. And then I got to the El Greco room... And then I got to the Goya room... wow.

Since then I became very interested in art. One of my interests now, I guess is in what I'd say is... "ambient art"(?). I guess I look at art now and think, "One day when I'm old [you know, your age Razz] what sort of thing would I like to look at in my house?" And basically it comes down to, I guess you would call them early abstract expressionists(?). My interests and a lot of what speaks to me now seem to be focused on Chagall, Miro, and Kandinsky in that regard. (Of course, other than perhpas a Chagall serograph, I know... somewhere well beyond a pipe dream... but I'm just saying...)

Still, now, it is probably Rembrandt and El Greco that just wow me like no one else, especially when talking about consitency.

So that is my long-winded answer to your question.

quote:
...have a great Thanksgiving


Thank you. You as well! Big Grin
Last edited by winetarelli
My wife and daughters are out this evening. I decided to open an '05 Zapaltas La Cruz Pinot Noir and blow some dust off of the Klipsch's . . . playing D.J. for myself

Steve Walsh - Every Step of the Way
The Black Crows - Remedy
Genesis - Home by the Sea
Supertramp - Sister Moonshine
U2 - When Love Comes to Town
Robert Bartley Band - Baby
Sophie B. Hawkins - Damn I Wish I Was Your Lover
INXS - The Stairs
Joe Walsh - Rocky Mountain Way
The Call - I Still Believe
Bruce Hornsby (with Nitty Gritty Dirt Band - The Valley Road

I need to do this more often! Smile
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:



Which LC?


Essential...


Have you heard Rufus Wainwright's version of Hallelujah? It is absolutely incredible -- worth seeking out. Actually, if you can't find it anywhere, it is on the Shreck soundtrack, but you can probably download it or something else...

Suzanne was the first song I ever learned to finger pick on the guitar. Smile

You have good taste in music.
quote:
Originally posted by grape8:
Right now I'm at work listening to some stuff i have never heard of in my LIFE! It sounds like a depressing country song.


That's because country songs are all depressing. Depressing in how unlistenable they are. The Cowboy Junkies and the occasional John Denver song is as close as I'll get to Country music.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:


You have good taste in music.




And what is wrong with my taste is wine? Razz


Ummmm.... Razz Big Grin

Here is Wainwright's version via youtube. He slowed it down a bit live. An example. I was supposed to go to a concert of his but plans fell through at the last minute. Even if all the stuff I like of his is covers, I still think he is just about the best thing going in popular music right now. He does an awesome version of "Across The Universe" as well.

Actually, when I was in middle school and beginning high school, one of the acts that people liked was Jeff Buckley (don't laugh, that dates me because he died when I was still in high school -- 1997). He did a great cover as well, not as good as Wainwright, imo, but still excellent. This is his 6+ minute version. This is a shortened version that they played at the End of season 1 of The OC. (Again, I'm in my 20's, don't laugh.)
Last edited by winetarelli
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:


You have good taste in music.




And what is wrong with my taste is wine? Razz


Ummmm.... Razz Big Grin

Here is Wainwright's version via youtube. He slowed it down a bit live. An example. I was supposed to go to a concert of his but plans fell through at the last minute. Even if all the stuff I like of his is covers, I still think he is just about the best thing going in popular music right now. He does an awesome version of "Across The Universe" as well.

Actually, when I was in middle school and beginning high school, one of the acts that people liked was Jeff Buckley (don't laugh, that dates me because he died when I was still in high school -- 1997). He did a great cover as well, not as good as Wainwright, imo, but still excellent. This is his 6+ minute version. This is a shortened version that they played at the End of season 1 of The OC. (Again, I'm in my 20's, don't laugh.)



All now on my ipod... thank you 15! Cool
quote:
Originally posted by Darlene:
Cool One of my all-time favorites, Juicy! Smile


Same here as well, Darlene. Actually, I enjoy alot of Randy Newman. My favorite album is Good Old Boys and there are several singles from various other that are fun, "It's Money That I Love" and "Political Science" among others.

First introduced to Randy Newman in '75.
Last edited by juicy
quote:
Originally posted by vinole:
quote:
Originally posted by Chilepepper:
Various System of a Down on the Ipod. Great music to get you motivated to do stuff around the house.


Shouldn't you be listening to the Red Hot Chilipeppers?


Oh, have plenty of them too...LOL. Of course I had to get in some "Gator Country" by Molly Hatchet too!!
quote:
Originally posted by TBird:
there's a gator in the bushes lord he's a callin' my name!

quote:
Originally posted by Chilepepper:
Of course I had to get in some "Gator Country" by Molly Hatchet too!!


Don't forget:

The outlaws down in tampa town its a mighty fine place to be.
They got green grass and got high tides and sure looks good to me.
quote:
Originally posted by vinole:
quote:
Originally posted by spo:
Roxy Music "Avalon"

The rest of the cd is not as good as the songs "More than This" and "Avalon". Mad


Agree with that. I have that album on SACD and it is one of the best mixes that takes full advantage of surround sound.


What's wrong with "Take a Chance with Me"?
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
quote:
Originally posted by vinole:
quote:
Originally posted by spo:
Roxy Music "Avalon"

The rest of the cd is not as good as the songs "More than This" and "Avalon". Mad


Agree with that. I have that album on SACD and it is one of the best mixes that takes full advantage of surround sound.


What's wrong with "Take a Chance with Me"?


It is not as good as the songs "More than This" and "Avalon".
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
www.pandora.com. My own custom "radio station" of music like and similar to the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Magneta Lane, The Mars Volta, Smashing Pumpkins, Tool, and Peaches. Seriously, the best thing going in internet music.


Very cool site IB. I'm waiting on D-Link to ship their new dual N band wireless media adapter as it can stream HD video, BUT it also has built-in internet radio capability and this would be a good one to use. Although I'm a little afraid to listen to highly compressed audio on serious equipment.
"The Ultimate Alan Parsons Project" cd.
Made me remember just how influenced I was in my youth by their "Tales of Mystery and Imagination" album.

By the by, can anyone name an artist who has put out a "theme" album recently? I'm not talking about a love-song compilation or anything like that. TM&I was centered around the works of Edgar Allen Poe.
Is this something relegated to the '70's?
Last edited by mneeley490
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
"The Ultimate Alan Parsons Project" cd.
Made me remember just how influenced I was in my youth by their "Tales of Mystery and Imagination" album.

By the by, can anyone name an artist who has put out a "theme" album recently? I'm not talking about a love-song compilation or anything like that. TM&I was centered around the works of Edgar Allen Poe.
Is this something relegated to the '70's?


Good question, I can name a few from the 60's & 70's, but am drawing a blank for anything new.

Not quite like the works of Edgar Allen Poe, but Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon was an epic (which I consider a theme), Moody Blues' Days of Future Past and I read in an article that Jack White claims his Elephant album has revolves around a theme of the death of a sweetheart, but in a political sense Confused here, but I wouldn't put too much credence in what he says. Besides, it doesn't sound like it has a theme, so it's probably not what you were looking for anyways.